2016-17 BBB POLLS

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2016-17 BBB POLLS

Postby 3sportfan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:58 pm

I thought Shiloh still being in the poll was a little off after back to back losses and one by 27 to an unranked team. four loss teams in the poll with so many quality 2-3 loss teams not in the poll.
3sportfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:20 pm

3sportfan wrote:I thought Shiloh still being in the poll was a little off after back to back losses and one by 27 to an unranked team. four loss teams in the poll with so many quality 2-3 loss teams not in the poll.

Shiloh's losses are to #3, #5, #7 & and under-ranked (RV) Beulah. Those are some quality losses and 3 of the 4 were on the road (Solen was a home game).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby hoophoophoop » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:22 am

How does Richland have votes one week, beat #2 team and the next week don't get votes? Just curios
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lamontcranston » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:26 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:How does Richland have votes one week, beat #2 team and the next week don't get votes? Just curios

There is only one plausible explanation. First off, you can't assume they received multiple votes. What if they were picked by a single voter, and that voter did not vote this time around?
lamontcranston
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:35 pm

lamontcranston wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:How does Richland have votes one week, beat #2 team and the next week don't get votes? Just curios

There is only one plausible explanation. First off, you can't assume they received multiple votes. What if they were picked by a single voter, and that voter did not vote this time around?

They were at end of RV list so one vote given last week is very likely...lamont could be right or the media voter went with another team.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:06 am

#1 Four Winds-Minnewaukan def. #9 Shiloh Christian 60-53
#2 St. John def. Bottineau 72-67

wasn't at either game but I believe both these wins show great perseverance for the top 2 teams in the State...
It is very hard to keep winning as the season winds down, no matter the opponent
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:27 pm

FINAL POLL
Monday, February 20th

1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan (13) 18-1 156
2. St. John (2) 19-0 128
3. Dickinson Trinity 18-2 117
4. Solen 17-1 104
5. Hillsboro-Central Valley (1) 16-3 103
6. Linton-HMB 17-2 80
7. Thompson 16-4 66
8. Oak Grove 15-4 46
9. Beulah 17-3 29
10. Bishop Ryan 17-2 18
Others Receiving Votes: Shiloh Christian (14-5), Northern Cass (16-4), Kenmare (17-2), Richland (15-4), Carrington (16-3), Des Lacs-Burlington (15-4).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sparty48 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:39 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:FINAL POLL
Monday, February 20th

2. St. John (2) 19-0 128
4. Solen 17-1 104
6. Linton-HMB 17-2 80
7. Thompson 16-4 66
8. Oak Grove 15-4 46
9. Beulah 17-3 29
10. Bishop Ryan 17-2 18
Others Receiving Votes: Shiloh Christian (14-5), Northern Cass (16-4), Kenmare (17-2), Richland (15-4), Carrington (16-3), Des Lacs-Burlington (15-4).

I feel bad for St. John, there number two and undefeated but yet still have to play Four winds in the regional tourney. But it is nice to see some Region 1 teams get some votes.
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby ReadyToPlay » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:33 pm

What happened to North Star in vote getting? Saw them play Grafton at Grafton the other night and the game was dominated from the tip off by NS and they won by 30. Hillsboro-Central Valley did the same thing to Grafton a week or so before in which I witnessed both. NS is neck and neck, if not a slight edge better than HCV, in which HCV finishes #5 in last poll. I guess the polls just go by record because NS is in a dog eat dog region....
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:00 pm

ReadyToPlay wrote:What happened to North Star in vote getting? Saw them play Grafton at Grafton the other night and the game was dominated from the tip off by NS and they won by 30. Hillsboro-Central Valley did the same thing to Grafton a week or so before in which I witnessed both. NS is neck and neck, if not a slight edge better than HCV, in which HCV finishes #5 in last poll. I guess the polls just go by record because NS is in a dog eat dog region....

Have you followed many scores all year ? Based on this statement I would say no, also I think Region 2 talent wise is a deeper region.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:40 pm

ReadyToPlay wrote:What happened to North Star in vote getting? Saw them play Grafton at Grafton the other night and the game was dominated from the tip off by NS and they won by 30. Hillsboro-Central Valley did the same thing to Grafton a week or so before in which I witnessed both. NS is neck and neck, if not a slight edge better than HCV, in which HCV finishes #5 in last poll. I guess the polls just go by record because NS is in a dog eat dog region....

North Star lost 2 in a row to quality teams but still losses and I'm sure that's what dropped them from the polls.

2/7 - lost 62-78 to St. John (ranked at time)
2/14 - lost 59-70 to Des Lacs-Burlington (non-ranked team)

Seen both teams play this year...H-CV is a better team; if you are going to compare via scores..then let's use 1 GOOD, common opponent: Four Winds-Minnewaukan

Four Winds-Minnewaukan def. North Star 70-43
Hillsboro-Central Valley def. Four Winds-Minnewaukan 68-63

Both of these games were played within a week of each other also.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:32 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:FINAL POLL
Monday, February 20th

2. St. John (2) 19-0 128
4. Solen 17-1 104
6. Linton-HMB 17-2 80
7. Thompson 16-4 66
8. Oak Grove 15-4 46
9. Beulah 17-3 29
10. Bishop Ryan 17-2 18

Not a bad mix for the finally, the only region without a top 10 is region 8

2 from 4...although top 2 FW/ST.J
2 from 2...Thom/HCV
2 from 7...DT/Beu
1 from 5...Solen
1 from 3...Linton
1 from 6...BR
1 from 1...OG

has been quite the musical Polls this season, with exception of the 16' Champs
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:13 pm

If St. John wins region 4 are they a slam dunk #1 seed?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:30 pm

I would think so
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby wan2bqb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:24 pm

Flip wrote:If St. John wins region 4 are they a slam dunk #1 seed?

Yes I would 100%
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby wem » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:32 pm

Sparta, Region 1 teams have been ranked or getting votes all year. Not sure what you mean by saying what you did. Also, why you feel sorry for ST John, they get to decide who the best team is head to head within there own region. If you feel you are the best team, isn't this the way you want to decide it? I do!
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:51 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

North Star lost 2 in a row to quality teams but still losses and I'm sure that's what dropped them from the polls.

Seen both teams play this year...H-CV is a better team; if you are going to compare via scores..then let's use 1 GOOD, common opponent: Four Winds-Minnewaukan

Let's see, where should I begin with this one?

1. The statement "then let's use 1 GOOD common opponent:" That is quite a statement. Since the original poster compared the two teams to Grafton, I would say you just stuff off a lot of Grafton fans. Let me tell you something, if I were H-CV or Thompson or anybody else in Region 2, I would not want to play Grafton in the Regional tournament. Because guess what, they are a GOOD team.

2. What makes your opinion any better than the original posters opinion? Oh, that's right, you "seen both teams play". Well, it seems the original poster "seen" both teams play too and he had his own opinion. But of course, your's is so much better. Please do tell me which games you have seen these teams play and how many times.

3. Let's see, comparing North Star playing FW-M in the Devils Lake Sports Center to FW-M playing in Hillsboro. Hmm, yes, that's a real good comparison. You bring any team across the state to play FW-M in the sports center and lets see how that works for them.

4. I too have seen these teams play. Many times. Over many years. And guess what, North Star is just as good as H-CV. North Star has had some big wins and some tough losses. They lost to St. John. There wasn't a team in ND who would have beaten St. John that evening. 10-12 from 3 point line in first half. Shot over 70% for the game. They are a very good team and undefeated for a reason.

5. I have read all your little jabs against North Star over the years. Guess what, I really don't care. But it must really bother you that a little school, with what, 28 boys in high school, could actually have a good basketball team. When North Star is playing good bb, they can beat anybody. When they are playing bad, they will get beat by quality teams. Kind of like the rest of the state this year. Put that in your ranking formula.
Last edited by Bison-Vikes #1 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:54 am

Top 4 seeds will be Region 4 winner (if FWM or St John), Region 5 winner (If Solen), Region 7 winner (If Trinity or Beulah) and Region 2 winner if HCV. Linton HMB would be 4 seed if Thompson wins region 2 and LHMB wins 3.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:21 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

1. The statement "then let's use 1 GOOD common opponent:" That is quite a statement. Since the original poster compared the two teams to Grafton, I would say you just stuff off a lot of Grafton fans. Let me tell you something, if I were H-CV or Thompson or anybody else in Region 2, I would not want to play Grafton in the Regional tournament. Because guess what, they are a GOOD team.

2. What makes your opinion any better than the original posters opinion? Oh, that's right, you "seen both teams play". Well, it seems the original poster "seen" both teams play too and he had his own opinion. But of course, your's is so much better. Please do tell me which games you have seen these teams play and how many times.

3. Let's see, comparing North Star playing FW-M in the Devils Lake Sports Center to FW-M playing in Hillsboro. Hmm, yes, that's a real good comparison. You bring any team across the state to play FW-M in the sports center and lets see how that works for them.

4. I too have seen these teams play. Many times. Over many years. And guess what, North Star is just as good as H-CV. North Star has had some big wins and some tough losses. They lost to St. John. There wasn't a team in ND who would have beaten St. John that evening. 10-12 from 3 point line in first half. Shot over 70% for the game. They are a very good team and undefeated for a reason.

5. I have read all your little jabs against North Star over the years. Guess what, I really don't care. But it must really bother you that a little school, with what, 28 boys in high school, could actually have a good basketball team. When North Star is playing good bb, they can beat anybody. When they are playing bad, they will get beat by quality teams. Kind of like the rest of the state this year. Put that in your ranking formula.

Wow settle down...just gave my opinion. Those two losses are where NS fell out of the poll, which we know is meaningless just like any ranking formula...all of it is for fun and comparison!

No jab at Grafton...I just used a different team to compare...and my use of 'good' was directed at FWM and not a slight to any others

What jabs on North Star over the years? This comment has me confused...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:42 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Wow settle down...just gave my opinion. Those two losses are where NS fell out of the poll, which we know is meaningless just like any ranking formula...all of it is for fun and comparison!

No jab at Grafton...I just used a different team to compare...and my use of 'good' was directed at FWM and not a slight to any others

What jabs on North Star over the years? This comment has me confused...

First of all, why do I need to settle down? At what point in my post does it seem that I was riled? I thought the original poster made a valid point. He compared 2 teams, who happened to play a common opponent at their home gym. Why would that not be a good comparison? On the flip side, you interject with an apples to oranges comparison. A game where 1 team shot 34 free throws and the other 5? Hmm, seems to me the original poster made a better comparison. As for the last comment, I have read all of your work over the years. And as much as I have enjoyed this website and what it offers, I also can make my own personal judgement on certain posts and the direction they lean. Go ahead and have the last word.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby wan2bqb » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:01 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Woah! sounds like someone has a small piece of fabric bunched up in an uncomfortable place. I like numbers so I'll play along;
Like opponents: Drayton, Larimore, Four Winds, Park River, (Grafton played both North Star and HCV for the sake of argument lets combine the scores and only give them one loss)

HCV is 5-0 with a +18 point differential
North Star is 4-1 with a + 16.8 point differential
Grafton would be 3-2 with a minus .8 point differential

The big outlier is North Stars loss to Four winds which was most likely a bad game even if it should have been a loss based on their seasons performance. Which games you saw and which team shows up does matter, but so does consistency and HCV has throughout the season beaten teams by a 16.6 point differential, North Star at 16.8, and Grafton at 12.9. That tells me that HCV and North Star play pretty consistent ball and Grafton has not stepped up in the bigger games. So that said I would like to see HCV vs North Star and Grafton while dangerous doesn't play consistently well enough to be a real challenger for multiple games. My $.02 but I have no horse in the race. LOl.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby scout_101 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:21 pm

So every team that played Fw/m played there bad game?

It seems fw/m cant get any respect on any social media.
scout_101
NDPreps Starter

Postby wem » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:27 am

Its respect when your the team that everyone uses as there comparison.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Boys