Yellow Card

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Yellow Card

Postby wem » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:42 am

Do we have this stupid yellow card rule once again in region 1? Everybody sits on there hands and doesn't cheer or say anything because these parameters are so vague(subjective). Make whoever is in charge have a spine to correct the problem at the time. Its called common sense. Take the politics out of basketball. It wrecked region one support last year. Get rid of it. Lets get back to the old way of support. Quit passing the buck on! Just to answer the question before it gets asked: No I didn't get a yellow card and never had a technical as a coach or player.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Re: Yellow Card

Postby d_fense » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:18 am

Yes, it is still a thing in region 1. It has been read before volleyball and football games that I have attended this fall. It is stupid and region 1 administration should be embarrassed.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby imjustafan » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:43 am

Yes the yellow card rule is still in effect.

Yes, It limits crowd involvement. Very noticeable on a questionable call during a basketball game.

No, I have not seen a yellow card issued. Not even threatened.

I, as a game announcer, do not read the yellow card rule. It is posted in the gym. That's good enough. I use a generic lets have fun and be a good sport spiel.
imjustafan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby leroybla » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:28 am

imjustafan wrote:I, as a game announcer, do not read the yellow card rule. It is posted in the gym. That's good enough. I use a generic lets have fun and be a good sport spiel.

like.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bsoldiergirl » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:22 pm

Yellow Card ????? :?
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby wem » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:38 am

Its only a region one thing. That should tell you what the rest of the state thinks about Region one rules and whoever started this thing. I hope whoever it is (I know who idea it was, but not going there) is proud that he has killed a lot spirit in this region.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby bsoldiergirl » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:22 pm

wem wrote:Its only a region one thing. That should tell you what the rest of the state thinks about Region one rules and whoever started this thing. I hope whoever it is (I know who idea it was, but not going there) is proud that he has killed a lot spirit in this region.

Does this "Yellow Card', that they read at the beginning of the game, state when it is appropriate for the crowd to cheer or not cheer during the game? (Ex-Bad call...During free throws) Do they hold up the card when, whoever it is, feels the crowd is being unsportsmanlike or out of control? Either way, I agree with the fact that it would kill the spirit and spontaneity of the game. I can't even imagine the fan's outcry if Region 6 ever did this :!: I'm really curious about this "Yellow Card" and why they implemented it in the first place.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:17 pm

bsoldiergirl wrote:
wem wrote:Its only a region one thing. That should tell you what the rest of the state thinks about Region one rules and whoever started this thing. I hope whoever it is (I know who idea it was, but not going there) is proud that he has killed a lot spirit in this region.

Does this "Yellow Card', that they read at the beginning of the game, state when it is appropriate for the crowd to cheer or not cheer during the game? (Ex-Bad call...During free throws) Do they hold up the card when, whoever it is, feels the crowd is being unsportsmanlike or out of control? Either way, I agree with the fact that it would kill the spirit and spontaneity of the game. I can't even imagine the fan's outcry if Region 6 ever did this :!: I'm really curious about this "Yellow Card" and why they implemented it in the first place.

Post from last year regarding the 'Yellow Card' rule.

d_fense wrote:I'm guessing not many people outside region one know what WEM is talking about. Some "genius" in Region 1 decided that the region had a problem with fans intimidating players, coaches, and officials. Before every contest a statement is read. It is fairly lengthy. The jist of it is you are being watched. If administration feels you are trying to intimidate any player, coach, or official, an administrator at their discretion will issue you a yellow card. A yellow card is a "warning". If you get this "warning" your name will be sent to all of the athletic directors in the region. If you attend another game in the region and an administrator at the game feels you are "acting badly", you can be given a "red card" as a two time "offender". This can result in having your privilege to attend Region 1 activities taken away.

Some schools are very relaxed in implementing this...I know the 'original-Distrct 2' schools allow you to cheer and be expressive (to a positive extent) during games.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby bsoldiergirl » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:11 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
bsoldiergirl wrote:

d_fense wrote:I'm guessing not many people outside region one know what WEM is talking about. Some "genius" in Region 1 decided that the region had a problem with fans intimidating players, coaches, and officials. Before every contest a statement is read. It is fairly lengthy. The jist of it is you are being watched. If administration feels you are trying to intimidate any player, coach, or official, an administrator at their discretion will issue you a yellow card. A yellow card is a "warning". If you get this "warning" your name will be sent to all of the athletic directors in the region. If you attend another game in the region and an administrator at the game feels you are "acting badly", you can be given a "red card" as a two time "offender". This can result in having your privilege to attend Region 1 activities taken away.

Some schools are very relaxed in implementing this...I know the 'original-District 2' schools allow you to cheer and be expressive (to a positive extent) during games.

Thanks Run4Fun2009.....This sounds like a big hassle! Has this unconvention approach to crowd management worked? Has there been a noticeable change in how fans react? Sounds like just one more thing for the administrators to worry about! :roll:
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby leroybla » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:18 pm

Over time, these issues correct themselves as players and parents change. Policies like the yellow card should have a shelf-life, IMO.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:55 pm

bsoldiergirl wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
bsoldiergirl wrote:

Some schools are very relaxed in implementing this...I know the 'original-District 2' schools allow you to cheer and be expressive (to a positive extent) during games.

Thanks Run4Fun2009.....This sounds like a big hassle! Has this unconvention approach to crowd management worked? Has there been a noticeable change in how fans react? Sounds like just one more thing for the administrators to worry about! :roll:

The games that I have attended...I've never seen the policy used...must be loosely implemented "for the northern schools". You will always have disapproval of a call during a game...but I haven't seen any over the top fans yet this year and most of last year.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby wem » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:11 am

It has been implemented on 3 occasions that I know of. That still isn't the point! Fans don't no what they can and cannot do, so they say or cheer nothing.
Is there an address prior to the game other than being a good sport, No, but I don't want one either. It then would only become more of a distraction if they went into detail.
The easiest solution is to get rid of it; but my youngest being a senior this year, it just doesn't matter to me anymore. Good Luck to all you parents with young kids to reinstall spirit back into Region 1. It will be tough, because you got a person that started this thing, that wont change cause HE IN CHARGE type person.

There will be a game coming up were I will test the waters to see what it takes to get a yellow card.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsman21 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:11 pm

Stupid rule students and fans know what should and shouldnt be said. yes fans may get mad over a call but thats all sports. Things need to go back to the way it was nowadays everyone gets butt hurt over the smallest things.
sportsman21
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Boys