Region 2 16-17

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby Big Blue » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:Right now - Thompson/HCV/Grafton with Larimore/Cavalier as possible dark horse teams. I felt strongly that HCV was the team to beat before the year started - then they got smoked by Thompson - they then turn around and beat Four Winds. Grafton will defend hard which will always keep them in games. Larimore seems to be a about a guy short to me, had the sudden coaches change, etc....but capable. Cavalier is very young, but very talented. HCV plays Northern Cass this Friday - NC fresh off a win against Thompson - we'll see how they do.

I agree for the most part, but I don't see Larimore in the mix. The team has very little depth. Their starters are pretty solid and I think they are responding pretty well to their new coach, but it's tough to win playing 5-or-6 kids. They are pretty hit-and-miss shooting the ball.
Even though they have struggled during the first half, I think Hatton-Northwood or May-Port CG has a better chance to make noise come tournament time. Both are fairly young, but have playmakers, good defense and supporting cast to be scary in the post season. I am still saying Midway-Minto will be a very difficult matchup. As of right now, they are setting up for a four or five seed. It is a deep region as far as teams that could go to regionals. I still feel only two or three teams have legitimate shots at going to state.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby winner-within » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Big Blue wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:Right now - Thompson/HCV/Grafton with Larimore/Cavalier as possible dark horse teams. I felt strongly that HCV was the team to beat before the year started - then they got smoked by Thompson - they then turn around and beat Four Winds. Grafton will defend hard which will always keep them in games. Larimore seems to be a about a guy short to me, had the sudden coaches change, etc....but capable. Cavalier is very young, but very talented. HCV plays Northern Cass this Friday - NC fresh off a win against Thompson - we'll see how they do.

I agree for the most part, but I don't see Larimore in the mix. The team has very little depth. Their starters are pretty solid and I think they are responding pretty well to their new coach, but it's tough to win playing 5-or-6 kids. They are pretty hit-and-miss shooting the ball.
Even though they have struggled during the first half, I think Hatton-Northwood or May-Port CG has a better chance to make noise come tournament time. Both are fairly young, but have playmakers, good defense and supporting cast to be scary in the post season. I am still saying Midway-Minto will be a very difficult matchup. As of right now, they are setting up for a four or five seed. It is a deep region as far as teams that could go to regionals.
I still feel only two or three teams have legitimate shots at going to state.


I honestly think you could say the same for all 8 regions..... :D
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby Big Blue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:41 am

winner-within wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:Right now - Thompson/HCV/Grafton with Larimore/Cavalier as possible dark horse teams. I felt strongly that HCV was the team to beat before the year started - then they got smoked by Thompson - they then turn around and beat Four Winds. Grafton will defend hard which will always keep them in games. Larimore seems to be a about a guy short to me, had the sudden coaches change, etc....but capable. Cavalier is very young, but very talented. HCV plays Northern Cass this Friday - NC fresh off a win against Thompson - we'll see how they do.

I agree for the most part, but I don't see Larimore in the mix. The team has very little depth. Their starters are pretty solid and I think they are responding pretty well to their new coach, but it's tough to win playing 5-or-6 kids. They are pretty hit-and-miss shooting the ball.
Even though they have struggled during the first half, I think Hatton-Northwood or May-Port CG has a better chance to make noise come tournament time. Both are fairly young, but have playmakers, good defense and supporting cast to be scary in the post season. I am still saying Midway-Minto will be a very difficult matchup. As of right now, they are setting up for a four or five seed. It is a deep region as far as teams that could go to regionals.
I still feel only two or three teams have legitimate shots at going to state.

I honestly think you could say the same for all 8 regions..... :D

I think Region One is a completely different story. Other than that, I agree.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby Big Blue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:48 am

Some interesting scores last night in the region. Grafton showed that it is definitely deserving mention as a state contender. One side note with Thompson, I think they are becoming more of an inside out team as the year goes on. I honestly think this will make them even more dangerous down the stretch. Tyler Hegg and Hayden Overby are a dangerous one-two combination inside and I think that could be a huge key come tournament time.
Nice win for Hatton-Northwood over Cavalier. I will tell you something the Thunder are really starting to put it together. They are a team I wouldn't want to match up with at tournament time. I also think they could be a favorite to win the region next year.
Lastly, I will eat crow. Midway-Minto continues its Jekyll-Hyde performances losing to North Border. Not sure what is going on over there. With that said, North Border has made some serious strides.
This is an exciting stretch where you get everyone knocking each other off. It should be fun in Region 2!
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby winner-within » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:27 pm

I have yet to see FSHP, DVE, Thompson play this season..... looking forward to watching them play if possible
as for the others in Region 2 I think HCV is very solid and with that said I don't think it is at all a fluke that the knocked off the #1 team Four Winds (although still #1).
I do realize that Thompson won the game against HCV (was not there as stated above) and that they (thomp) obviously must have some firepower too..
After those 2 teams I think that there is some parity all the way down with maybe the exception of DVE (enrollment just isn't there anymore) and night in night out there is going to be a good game of competitive ball per say ............the Region is really going to shape in the next week, week and a half with all the conference play taking place and we will know much more then.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby Big Blue » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:21 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
Big Blue wrote:Langdon-Munich won six or seven wins last after several one-win and no-win type seasons. They really, really struggled for a year or two in football and made a run in the A semi-finals this year. It's an up-and-coming program. Their basketball team has really benefited from a junior transfer from Turtle Mountain. A great win on paper for Midway-Minto? Perhaps not. But Langdon-Munich has a nice team and it showed the Mustangs can win a close game down the stretch. The Schusters are players potentially in consideration for All-State. They are the real deal.


IMO if you have 2 potential all-staters on your team, you had better be belting an up and coming team by a substantial amount, not falling behind by 20 then squeaking out a win. Now I haven't seen either HCV, Thompson, or MM play this year - however, I saw them all last year on more than 1 occasion, and again IMO HCV in particular will win handily against MM, while Thompson will beat them in a more competitive game. That being said, Robinson usually finds away to compete with teams considered better than his, so I wouldn't fall over from shock if MM were to beat either of these teams. I don't think it will happen though.

Flying Wallenda, did you have a chance to make last night's HCV-Midway-Minto game? Sounded like a good one. Nice win for HCV to keep themselves within striking distance of Thompson.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:28 pm

I think they're in striking distance of more than just HCV....MPCG took em to overtime with 2 players both scoring in the 20's

in other words I thought the the two (Thom/HCV) were above the pack with their records backing that but there have been some squeakers and true competition especially down in the old district 3
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:56 pm

Big Blue wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
Big Blue wrote:Langdon-Munich won six or seven wins last after several one-win and no-win type seasons. They really, really struggled for a year or two in football and made a run in the A semi-finals this year. It's an up-and-coming program. Their basketball team has really benefited from a junior transfer from Turtle Mountain. A great win on paper for Midway-Minto? Perhaps not. But Langdon-Munich has a nice team and it showed the Mustangs can win a close game down the stretch. The Schusters are players potentially in consideration for All-State. They are the real deal.


IMO if you have 2 potential all-staters on your team, you had better be belting an up and coming team by a substantial amount, not falling behind by 20 then squeaking out a win. Now I haven't seen either HCV, Thompson, or MM play this year - however, I saw them all last year on more than 1 occasion, and again IMO HCV in particular will win handily against MM, while Thompson will beat them in a more competitive game. That being said, Robinson usually finds away to compete with teams considered better than his, so I wouldn't fall over from shock if MM were to beat either of these teams. I don't think it will happen though.

Flying Wallenda, did you have a chance to make last night's HCV-Midway-Minto game? Sounded like a good one. Nice win for HCV to keep themselves within striking distance of Thompson.

I didn't make it. I figured HCV would win fairly big, not surprised though, as Robinson usually straightens his crew out about this time of the year. MPCG looks to be coming on, which surprises me. I figured HCV and Thompson would have clearly established themselves as the best two teams in the region, but it appears Grafton, MPCG, MM, Larimore, and HN will be able to spring an upset on the right night.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby Ball4Him » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
Big Blue wrote:Langdon-Munich won six or seven wins last after several one-win and no-win type seasons. They really, really struggled for a year or two in football and made a run in the A semi-finals this year. It's an up-and-coming program. Their basketball team has really benefited from a junior transfer from Turtle Mountain. A great win on paper for Midway-Minto? Perhaps not. But Langdon-Munich has a nice team and it showed the Mustangs can win a close game down the stretch. The Schusters are players potentially in consideration for All-State. They are the real deal.


IMO if you have 2 potential all-staters on your team, you had better be belting an up and coming team by a substantial amount, not falling behind by 20 then squeaking out a win. Now I haven't seen either HCV, Thompson, or MM play this year - however, I saw them all last year on more than 1 occasion, and again IMO HCV in particular will win handily against MM, while Thompson will beat them in a more competitive game. That being said, Robinson usually finds away to compete with teams considered better than his, so I wouldn't fall over from shock if MM were to beat either of these teams. I don't think it will happen though.

Flying Wallenda, did you have a chance to make last night's HCV-Midway-Minto game? Sounded like a good one. Nice win for HCV to keep themselves within striking distance of Thompson.

I didn't make it. I figured HCV would win fairly big, not surprised though, as Robinson usually straightens his crew out about this time of the year. MPCG looks to be coming on, which surprises me. I figured HCV and Thompson would have clearly established themselves as the best two teams in the region, but it appears Grafton, MPCG, MM, Larimore, and HN will be able to spring an upset on the right night.


Don't forget about Cav. I don't think this is their year to make it out, but they still can pull off some good upsets.
Ball4Him
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:00 pm

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:50 pm

HCV over Thompson 71-47.
Burrow seem to be playing really well lately.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3588
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:10 pm

Flip wrote:HCV over Thompson 71-47.
Burrow seem to be playing really well lately.



In the famous words of Boomer

"They could go all the way" ..or is that he?... :D

true threat to a State Championship
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby Ball4Him » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:18 pm

I was looking at the region tournament thread and saw that Grafton is already listed at #3 and MayPort #4. If MayPort beats Cavalier tonight that would tie them with Grafton in region points at 18-6. Since MayPort won there head to head game wouldn't that then put MayPort in 3 and Grafton 4? correct me if I'm wrong.
Ball4Him
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:00 pm

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:24 pm

Ball4Him wrote:I was looking at the region tournament thread and saw that Grafton is already listed at #3 and MayPort #4. If MayPort beats Cavalier tonight that would tie them with Grafton in region points at 18-6. Since MayPort won there head to head game wouldn't that then put MayPort in 3 and Grafton 4? correct me if I'm wrong.

I do believe that is correct.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby Ball4Him » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:38 pm

How was the HCV/Thomp tie settled?
Ball4Him
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:00 pm

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby packers21 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:45 pm

Ball4Him wrote:How was the HCV/Thomp tie settled?


Coin flip
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby classbman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:20 am

I sure don't want to take anything away from any athlete in the running for SPOTY for region 2 but I think Ethan Brown from FSHP probably should've got it. The dude got over 23 points per game and over 10 boards per game. I went to some of the games and that kid took a beating on the floor every time. double and triple teamed always. Tough player IMO.
classbman
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:59 am

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:57 am

classbman wrote:I sure don't want to take anything away from any athlete in the running for SPOTY for region 2 but I think Ethan Brown from FSHP probably should've got it. The dude got over 23 points per game and over 10 boards per game. I went to some of the games and that kid took a beating on the floor every time. double and triple teamed always. Tough player IMO.


Good player, not senior athlete level. Henningsgaard and Chandlar both had better years, I would also put Scwabe ahead of him.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby classbman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:47 am

packers21 wrote:
classbman wrote:I sure don't want to take anything away from any athlete in the running for SPOTY for region 2 but I think Ethan Brown from FSHP probably should've got it. The dude got over 23 points per game and over 10 boards per game. I went to some of the games and that kid took a beating on the floor every time. double and triple teamed always. Tough player IMO.


Good player, not senior athlete level. Henningsgaard and Chandlar both had better years, I would also put Scwabe ahead of him.

Better than averaging a double double? I agree those guys are also great athletes. just how I feel about it. I think if he made it to the Betty he might've got it.
classbman
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:59 am

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:15 am

classbman wrote:Better than averaging a double double? I agree those guys are also great athletes. just how I feel about it. I think if he made it to the Betty he might've got it.

The coaches vote before the play-in games, so no he wouldn't have been Senior Athlete even if they won the region.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3588
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:28 pm

packers21 wrote:
classbman wrote:I sure don't want to take anything away from any athlete in the running for SPOTY for region 2 but I think Ethan Brown from FSHP probably should've got it. The dude got over 23 points per game and over 10 boards per game. I went to some of the games and that kid took a beating on the floor every time. double and triple teamed always. Tough player IMO.


Good player, not senior athlete level. Henningsgaard and Chandlar both had better years, I would also put Scwabe ahead of him.

100% agree. Coaches absolutely got this one right IMO.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby classbman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:50 pm

Flip wrote:
classbman wrote:Better than averaging a double double? I agree those guys are also great athletes. just how I feel about it. I think if he made it to the Betty he might've got it.

The coaches vote before the play-in games, so no he wouldn't have been Senior Athlete even if they won the region.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
classbman
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:59 am

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby glueguy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:03 pm

No doubt that Brown had a great career at FSHP, he put up big numbers all the time. However, Brown really hasn't had any player to help him. Brown ended up taking 50-75%% of the teams shots, if not more! I would struggle with giving SPOY to Brown as he was able to put up huge numbers because he didn't have the help around him (a good class b player, who takes 20-30 shots should be able to get up 20points a game). Henningsgard, Chandler, Schwabe were all able to put up good numbers (not as stellar as Brown), but good numbers, which transferred in to wins and places at regionals and state.

IMO it is a close one between Henningsgard and Chandler. Henningsgard had a LOT more help than Chandler did, but had a solid year (you can see that with how HCV performed at state). Chandler pulled the MPCG group from a low preseason seeding, and no real experience, to a top 3 finish in conference play and a 4th place finish at regionals.

Region 2 certainly gained some credibility this year with HCV winning state, Thompson ranking in the top 10 over the course of a season and both MPCG and Grafton having very productive years. Next year will be an interesting one in this region. I can't wait!
glueguy
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:03 am

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby packers21 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:42 pm

glueguy wrote:No doubt that Brown had a great career at FSHP, he put up big numbers all the time. However, Brown really hasn't had any player to help him. Brown ended up taking 50-75%% of the teams shots, if not more! I would struggle with giving SPOY to Brown as he was able to put up huge numbers because he didn't have the help around him (a good class b player, who takes 20-30 shots should be able to get up 20points a game). Henningsgard, Chandler, Schwabe were all able to put up good numbers (not as stellar as Brown), but good numbers, which transferred in to wins and places at regionals and state.

IMO it is a close one between Henningsgard and Chandler. Henningsgard had a LOT more help than Chandler did, but had a solid year (you can see that with how HCV performed at state). Chandler pulled the MPCG group from a low preseason seeding, and no real experience, to a top 3 finish in conference play and a 4th place finish at regionals.

Region 2 certainly gained some credibility this year with HCV winning state, Thompson ranking in the top 10 over the course of a season and both MPCG and Grafton having very productive years. Next year will be an interesting one in this region. I can't wait!


What are your thoughts on next year ?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:52 pm

Thompson is the odds on favorite - in the region and possibly the state - losing Schwabe will hurt but have Hughes and Overby to step in - I fully expect Thompson to have a huge year next year, will be in the polls start to finish and quite possibly could make big noise at the state level as HCV did this year. I believe HCV will be very good again next year - young Henningsgard, Camrud, and baesler, along with a group of youngsters (young Reed will be one of the contributors). They'll compete for that second spot in the region. Cavalier will be very good, as will Grafton. Those 3 will compete for that 2nd spot in the region behind Thompson IMO.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby Ball4Him » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:53 pm

packers21 wrote:
glueguy wrote:No doubt that Brown had a great career at FSHP, he put up big numbers all the time. However, Brown really hasn't had any player to help him. Brown ended up taking 50-75%% of the teams shots, if not more! I would struggle with giving SPOY to Brown as he was able to put up huge numbers because he didn't have the help around him (a good class b player, who takes 20-30 shots should be able to get up 20points a game). Henningsgard, Chandler, Schwabe were all able to put up good numbers (not as stellar as Brown), but good numbers, which transferred in to wins and places at regionals and state.

IMO it is a close one between Henningsgard and Chandler. Henningsgard had a LOT more help than Chandler did, but had a solid year (you can see that with how HCV performed at state). Chandler pulled the MPCG group from a low preseason seeding, and no real experience, to a top 3 finish in conference play and a 4th place finish at regionals.

Region 2 certainly gained some credibility this year with HCV winning state, Thompson ranking in the top 10 over the course of a season and both MPCG and Grafton having very productive years. Next year will be an interesting one in this region. I can't wait!


What are your thoughts on next year ?


Both Thomp/Graf lose a good senior or two, but returns TONS of talent
Cav didn't have a single senior on a team that made regionals
H-N had one senior that got good playing time and has two all region players returning
HCV has a great program going and will no doubt be competitive again next year
MPCG lost Chandler which will be a big deal for them, but no one thought the would compete as well as they did this year so who knows
M-M had a good amount of seniors but returns a good core to build around
PRFL should have Skavhaug back next year with some good underclassman coming up(jehlicka/zavalney)
The rest should most likely be doing some major rebuilding... but there is always a team that really surprises everyone :D
Ball4Him
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:00 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Boys

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests