Region 2 16-17

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby d_fense » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:02 am

grywyn2 wrote:Does Cavalier have the same coach as last year?

No they do not.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Jack Squad » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:40 pm

Was at the M-M/Hankinson game at the H/CV holiday hoops classic. Hankinson dominated this game coming out with a 66-28 victory and Hankinson's starters didn't even play in the 4th quarter. All this talk about M-M being a top team in region 2? They don't have a dominate big man and struggled against a mediocre at best defense from Hankinson. Cody Mauch dominated in the lane against them and they struggled getting shots to fall, even though they were wide open. The Schuster boys are good but not all state level. Have heard good things about their coach and maybe he gets them going after the New Year but right now from what I saw, they need some work. Personally I think no one is on HCV and Thompson's level in region 2.
Jack Squad
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ball4Him » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:19 am

Jack Squad wrote:Was at the M-M/Hankinson game at the H/CV holiday hoops classic. Hankinson dominated this game coming out with a 66-28 victory and Hankinson's starters didn't even play in the 4th quarter. All this talk about M-M being a top team in region 2? They don't have a dominate big man and struggled against a mediocre at best defense from Hankinson. Cody Mauch dominated in the lane against them and they struggled getting shots to fall, even though they were wide open. The Schuster boys are good but not all state level. Have heard good things about their coach and maybe he gets them going after the New Year but right now from what I saw, they need some work. Personally I think no one is on HCV and Thompson's level in region 2.

I'm a big Mustangs fan (if you can't tell), but I would never say that the Schuster's are all-state level. I wouldn't put J. Schuster on all-region and D. Schuster would be a close call for me just because he's a scorer, but right now he isn't creating his own shots at all. Both of them are great players, but all-state...no.

I'm the one on this thread that has the most faith in the Mustangs, but if they want to make it far into regionals they have to run the ball. They would get enough points up to take care of their defense and they could get rid of their mismatches mostly through speeding up the game. All of their starters can keep up a good speed and knock shots down, and they have 4-5 bench players that can do the same thing. The only team I don't think they can beat by running the ball is Thompson and Cavalier(on a good shooting day). If they run the ball I would put them as number 2 or 3 in the region, but I haven't seen them do it yet.
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:02 am

I was at a few of the games over the holidays - gotta say HCV didn't look bad against Oak Grove and Hillcrest (went 1-1) - very athletic, back to full strength now - they need to all work together as a team, move the ball, team defense, etc. Larimore looked very poor and uninspired against New Rockford (who must be better than I gave them credit for as they beat Northern Cass at Hillsboro), then did a nice job in pulling off a win against a competitive Kindred team. I expected much more from Midway-Minto - they didn't compete against Hankinson at all - Hankinson looked like world beaters (and they aren't bad) - Coach Robinson was very quiet on the bench during the game - I'm not sure what was up. I saw a post a day or two ago questioning coach Robinson - I've always thought he was one of the top 5-6 coaches in the region year out. I'm not sure whats going on there - but I don't see anyway MM competes with HIllsboro or Thompson after that performance (though thats just one game, they might have played as bad as possible and perhaps bottomed out that day and will rise to the challenge) - gotta say I was very impressed with Cavalier - for being so young, they really competed hard against Northern Cass and were very fun to watch. I'd hate to have an opening round or semi-final game against that crew, as they appear to be capable of upsetting some a higher seed. Tonight its HCV at Thompson - the top two teams in the region IMO - I'm gonna go with Thompson 65-64 in a nail biter.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Big Blue » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:26 pm

Good observations Flying Wallenda. Holiday tournament scores have always confused the heck out of me. You have May-Port CG who gave Hankinson all it could handle lose a region game to Midway-Minto. A team who didn't even come close to competing against Hankinson a day later. As far as tonight goes, I like Thompson 59-52. But it will be a very tight game from beginning to end. It will be a fun one. To me, I look for Hegg to be an x-factor for the Tommies and Camrud to be the x-factor for HCV. Whoever can come up with a big night could be a determining factor. Also, I recently saw Larimore play, they looked great in the first half and VERY bad in the second half. Seems to be pretty inconsistent. But when they are on they can play with the region's top teams. Was impressed with their young post player. Lot of potential.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BigBlueNation1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:54 pm

Hey guys, what are your thoughts on the Thompson Tommies? I recently got to watch them in Linton. In my opinion, they do not play to their strengths or use their size at all!! They got beat on the defensive boards big time!
BigBlueNation1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:32 pm

BigBlueNation1 wrote:Hey guys, what are your thoughts on the Thompson Tommies? I recently got to watch them in Linton. In my opinion, they do not play to their strengths or use their size at all!! They got beat on the defensive boards big time!

I see they dismantled HCV on Friday night - that one surprised me, not that they won as I actually predicted they would, but at the margin. Thompson has traditionally played fast under George, and why wouldn't they - as they have 2 of the fastest athletes you'll ever see in the Schwabe boys. They also have some other nice pieces and a post who shoots it ok (Hegg I believe?) - hard for me to gauge as I haven't seen either team play (Thompson-Linton) this year. HCV has Four Winds coming up and I believe Northern Cass late in the month or early February - we'll see how they compete after this relatively one sided loss.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:56 pm

BigBlueNation1 wrote:Hey guys, what are your thoughts on the Thompson Tommies? I recently got to watch them in Linton. In my opinion, they do not play to their strengths or use their size at all!! They got beat on the defensive boards big time!

What do you think their strengths are if you don't think that they played to them vs Linton?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby BigBlueNation1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:04 pm

d_fense wrote:

What do you think their strengths are if you don't think that they played to them vs Linton?

I do agree that they can get out in transition and play fast but in most games they clearly have the size advantage but rarely get it into the post or even look into the post. I am just wondering if their lack of using their big men is going to hinder them later on in big games like it did in Linton.
BigBlueNation1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby grywyn2 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:26 pm

I have to say I am M-M Mustangs fan. I believe those kids work well together. I just hate the thought that they get yelled at during the game. We as adults don't like to be screamed at, especially when it is a full gym. It is something if we as parents yell at our kids, but when a paid professional does it, is a sense of bullying in my opinion. Those kids when they were younger won lots of traveling tournaments, they know what needs to be done to win. But how can they play when being screamed at
grywyn2
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BB11 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:44 pm

grywyn2 wrote:I have to say I am M-M Mustangs fan. I believe those kids work well together. I just hate the thought that they get yelled at during the game. We as adults don't like to be screamed at, especially when it is a full gym. It is something if we as parents yell at our kids, but when a paid professional does it, is a sense of bullying in my opinion. Those kids when they were younger won lots of traveling tournaments, they know what needs to be done to win. But how can they play when being screamed at

The same way that you can breathe without having a brain.
The fact that they won a lot of traveling tournaments when they were young kids is an asinine argument and irrelevant to any point that you are struggling to make.
Just to point out the obvious - NO ONE has agreed with you on your assessment of a very good Mustang coach. I have NO STAKE in M-M Mustangs or in Region 2, as I have no connection to any of it - BUT, as a coach, and knowing Coach Robinson, and the type of person, coach, teacher he is - it highly upsets me to see someone constantly bad mouth him on a public forum with invalid half-truths, and outright lies.
GIVE IT A REST!!! - You are not the solution - you are only exacerbating a problem that doesn't even exist.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:01 am

BB11 wrote:
grywyn2 wrote:I have to say I am M-M Mustangs fan. I believe those kids work well together. I just hate the thought that they get yelled at during the game. We as adults don't like to be screamed at, especially when it is a full gym. It is something if we as parents yell at our kids, but when a paid professional does it, is a sense of bullying in my opinion. Those kids when they were younger won lots of traveling tournaments, they know what needs to be done to win. But how can they play when being screamed at

The same way that you can breathe without having a brain.
The fact that they won a lot of traveling tournaments when they were young kids is an asinine argument and irrelevant to any point that you are struggling to make.
Just to point out the obvious - NO ONE has agreed with you on your assessment of a very good Mustang coach. I have NO STAKE in M-M Mustangs or in Region 2, as I have no connection to any of it - BUT, as a coach, and knowing Coach Robinson, and the type of person, coach, teacher he is - it highly upsets me to see someone constantly bad mouth him on a public forum with invalid half-truths, and outright lies.
GIVE IT A REST!!! - You are not the solution - you are only exacerbating a problem that doesn't even exist.

As I mentioned previously, I saw MM play Hankinson at the holiday hoops tourney, and coach Robinson was quiet, almost oddly quiet! I've never thought of him as a yeller, but he didn't say much of anything that night. Now it could have been because they were never in the game, but this still struck me as odd. I've always thought coach Robinson was one of the better coaches in region 2.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:26 am

By looking at the results this past weekend, it looks like Region 2 is quite a bit better than Region 4 top to bottom this year. Besides the HCV upset of FWM, MPCG and HN destroyed two teams that have played other region 4 teams close and should finish middle of the pack, and what seems to be an average PRFL team hung in there with St. John who is probably the only challenger to FWM in Region 4.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:39 am

ndlionsfan wrote:By looking at the results this past weekend, it looks like Region 2 is quite a bit better than Region 4 top to bottom this year. Besides the HCV upset of FWM, MPCG and HN destroyed two teams that have played other region 4 teams close and should finish middle of the pack, and what seems to be an average PRFL team hung in there with St. John who is probably the only challenger to FWM in Region 4.

I had said the same over the weekend.........Although I'm sure the Loss that FW's had will spark an inferno
then I think St. John is the second best team out there and of course NS then Dakota Prairie and NRS are both respectable.....I dont Know if "quite a bit better" is the case but Region 2 is gaining some respect it seems...
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:10 pm

PRFL is looking at one of the bottom four spots unless they really turn things around just based on their schedule. But I will say, if they keep up what they showed Saturday, they will be a very competitive team come tournament time. I agree ndlionsfan. May-Port CG and Hatton-Northwood both looked very strong Saturday. I think Region 2 is pretty stiff this season and I think Region 4 is a bit more down than expected.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby grywyn2 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:00 pm

Thank you for clarifying things for me. I thought opinions were neither right or wrong,but it appears yours is right,because I have no brain. I find it funny how you can say that because you don't know me. But maybe you can answer this for me since I or any one else is as intelligent as you, why do they have youth bb camps, bb tourneys, if it doesn't. Make a difference as they get older. But thanks for correcting me thT my opinion is wrong, good thing my self esteem isn't based on what you think of me

Judge me when you perfect
grywyn2
NDPreps Rookie

Postby classB4ever » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:01 am

I can see safe spaces coming to our local gyms in 3-2-1..............
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:25 am

Would you prefer that the coach does not coach during the game? Typically, in a full gym, a coach will have to yell just so the players can hear the coach over crowd noise. I have not watched this person coach, but yelling is not bullying. Listen to the message, not to the volume or tone.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:33 am

Who does everybody like to come out of Region 2 right now. Hillsboro-Central Valley has showed that they can play with and beat the best when they play like they are capable of. Thompson is playing extremely well too. And you can't count out grafton who has only lost the state's number one team. Who is the favorite and who is a possible darkhorse?
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:29 pm

Right now - Thompson/HCV/Grafton with Larimore/Cavalier as possible dark horse teams. I felt strongly that HCV was the team to beat before the year started - then they got smoked by Thompson - they then turn around and beat Four Winds. Grafton will defend hard which will always keep them in games. Larimore seems to be a about a guy short to me, had the sudden coaches change, etc....but capable. Cavalier is very young, but very talented. HCV plays Northern Cass this Friday - NC fresh off a win against Thompson - we'll see how they do.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:36 pm

grywyn2 wrote:Thank you for clarifying things for me. I thought opinions were neither right or wrong,but it appears yours is right,because I have no brain. I find it funny how you can say that because you don't know me. But maybe you can answer this for me since I or any one else is as intelligent as you, why do they have youth bb camps, bb tourneys, if it doesn't. Make a difference as they get older. But thanks for correcting me thT my opinion is wrong, good thing my self esteem isn't based on what you think of me

Judge me when you perfect

I wanted to link your post before this one in also, but I'm not sure how to accomplish it and make it look right.
grywyn2, words have definitions. I have never in my life heard a coach "scream" at a player. I have heard plenty yell and or raise their voices. And there is nothing wrong with that. I would greatly appreciate it if the coaches that coach and or coached my children yelled more. Your use of the word "scream" is in my opinion used to try inflame, and or get people to believe that kids are being treated unfairly. I have no doubt that the MM boys are being treated well. The definition of scream is... "a long loud piercing cry, as from pain or fear". The only people I have heard scream are adolescent girls and people in horror movies. Please do not give me this BS about those boys being screamed at. It is not happening. You also wrote about how successful the boys were when they were young playing traveling ball. That's great, they have a memory of being better than other little kids. I can recall many 4-8 grade teams that went undefeated or dominated the competition and went on to have very average high school teams. It happens all the time and there are so many reasons I am not going to bother writing a bunch of them here. You also asked for an explanation as to why there are youth basketball tournament and camps. That is pretty simple. Money... How many of these camps and tournaments are free???? This does not mean that the coaches that run them are greedy. It means their time and talents are worth something. They have chosen a profession that doesn't pay very well and they need to do something in order to support themselves and their families. There are some other reasons that their are camps and tournaments, but raising money is right near the top. These coaches donate enough of their time running open gyms and working with kids before and after school and outside of the season.

You also got after BB11 for his post about yours. You state that you thought opinions were neither right or wrong. That is not true. The word opinion does have a definition. The most common one I found is, "a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge". I truly believe your opinion about the coach is wrong. The following statements are my opinions. You are close to the team because you likely have a relative on the team. You are upset because you thought the team would be better than they are. You are blaming the coach because it is easier to do that than to blame your relative and his buddies for their lack of success. Those last three statements are my opinions and they could be 100% wrong, but I don't think so.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby grywyn2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:01 pm

Nope no relative on that team. But I guess that goes to show you don't know me, because I have a brain and no relative on the tam. My opinion is mine and yours is yours. I won't change yours, and you won't change mine. Guess we agree to disagree.
grywyn2
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Cap'n Crunch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:09 pm

balla45 wrote:

Would you prefer that the coach does not coach during the game? Typically, in a full gym, a coach will have to yell just so the players can hear the coach over crowd noise. I have not watched this person coach, but yelling is not bullying. Listen to the message, not to the volume or tone.

I agree with balla 100%. A yelling coach is one that is showing he is engaged, which is much better than the opposite. At times he may get carried away some, but this is something he is obviously passionate about (proven by his years of coaching) and we all at some time have let our passions get the better of us. I believe that there is no one who wants MM to succeed more than there coach does, and that they are lucky to have him. It would be a shame if he felt forced out by some "disgruntled fans".
Cap'n Crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby d_fense » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:58 pm

grywyn2 wrote:Nope no relative on that team. But I guess that goes to show you don't know me, because I have a brain and no relative on the tam. My opinion is mine and yours is yours. I won't change yours, and you won't change mine. Guess we agree to disagree.

I am almost certain I do not know you personally. I never said you don't have a brain as another member did, or that you are stupid. I do think you use words that are not appropriate, not sure if you just don't know their meanings, or if you are choosing them to try bolster your point. I also never said you had a relative on the team, I said it was likely that you did, based on what I felt were emotional comments that were not thought out very well. How did I do with the rest of my statements you ignored? Are you close to the team? Or in other words do you feel a connection with them that brings you joy or pleasure when they do well, and makes you feel bad or disappointed when they do not? I know you are blaming the coach, so you need not comment on that one. Have you brought up issues with the play of players to team members in person or on another form?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:43 pm

grywyn2 wrote:Nope no relative on that team.

But you know who coached these kids in 4th grade traveling team tournaments? I guess you're just a super fan!
Flip
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys