Region 2 16-17

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 2 16-17

Postby glueguy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:07 am

packers21 wrote:
glueguy wrote:No doubt that Brown had a great career at FSHP, he put up big numbers all the time. However, Brown really hasn't had any player to help him. Brown ended up taking 50-75%% of the teams shots, if not more! I would struggle with giving SPOY to Brown as he was able to put up huge numbers because he didn't have the help around him (a good class b player, who takes 20-30 shots should be able to get up 20points a game). Henningsgard, Chandler, Schwabe were all able to put up good numbers (not as stellar as Brown), but good numbers, which transferred in to wins and places at regionals and state.

IMO it is a close one between Henningsgard and Chandler. Henningsgard had a LOT more help than Chandler did, but had a solid year (you can see that with how HCV performed at state). Chandler pulled the MPCG group from a low preseason seeding, and no real experience, to a top 3 finish in conference play and a 4th place finish at regionals.

Region 2 certainly gained some credibility this year with HCV winning state, Thompson ranking in the top 10 over the course of a season and both MPCG and Grafton having very productive years. Next year will be an interesting one in this region. I can't wait!

What are your thoughts on next year ?

MY thoughts are:

Thompson will win the region. They lose Schwabe, Benoit and Prashka, but still have some VERY good pieces in Overby, Schwabe, Hughes and some even younger kids. They will be a force for the next few years as they have some height coming up also. George does a real good job coaching these boys so my guess is that Thompson will be going to state next year. The Tommies play some good basketball and it really is fun to watch them play.

Grafton will be up towards the top also. They lost Garza right? But Neimann may take over that role. The issue they will have is depth. However, Grafton has two giants in Albrecht and their sophmore. They also have a good coaching staff which helps.

Cavalier is another team that may be a dark horse to finish in the top 4. They are a solid group of kids and didn't lose anyone.

MPCG will be an interesting pick. They did a lot better than what was expected for them this year, and I am unsure if I can say they will have a bad year next season haha. They lose Chandler which is huge for that team as he was their main guy. They also lost their big kid right? So they will be a lot smaller. I wonder what the coach will do with that group. They are fun to watch and the Coach is pretty energetic.

HCV will be a strong group also. I am expecting them to finish in the top 2. HCV has the younger henningsgard coming back and both Camrud and #41. Those are some nice pieces to have. They also have the younger Reed. It could be enough to pull something off again. Rotvold will be able to direct these guys well. It wouldn't surprise me to see Rotvold and HCV pull of an upset or two state wide also with region 1/3/4/MN games.
glueguy
NDPreps Rookie

Postby urserious » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:37 pm

glueguy wrote:
packers21 wrote:
glueguy wrote:No doubt that Brown had a great career at FSHP, he put up big numbers all the time. However, Brown really hasn't had any player to help him. Brown ended up taking 50-75%% of the teams shots, if not more! I would struggle with giving SPOY to Brown as he was able to put up huge numbers because he didn't have the help around him (a good class b player, who takes 20-30 shots should be able to get up 20points a game). Henningsgard, Chandler, Schwabe were all able to put up good numbers (not as stellar as Brown), but good numbers, which transferred in to wins and places at regionals and state.

IMO it is a close one between Henningsgard and Chandler. Henningsgard had a LOT more help than Chandler did, but had a solid year (you can see that with how HCV performed at state). Chandler pulled the MPCG group from a low preseason seeding, and no real experience, to a top 3 finish in conference play and a 4th place finish at regionals.

Region 2 certainly gained some credibility this year with HCV winning state, Thompson ranking in the top 10 over the course of a season and both MPCG and Grafton having very productive years. Next year will be an interesting one in this region. I can't wait!

MY thoughts are:

Thompson will win the region. They lose Schwabe, Benoit and Prashka, but still have some VERY good pieces in Overby, Schwabe, Hughes and some even younger kids. They will be a force for the next few years as they have some height coming up also. George does a real good job coaching these boys so my guess is that Thompson will be going to state next year. The Tommies play some good basketball and it really is fun to watch them play.

Grafton will be up towards the top also. They lost Garza right? But Neimann may take over that role. The issue they will have is depth. However, Grafton has two giants in Albrecht and their sophmore. They also have a good coaching staff which helps.

Cavalier is another team that may be a dark horse to finish in the top 4. They are a solid group of kids and didn't lose anyone.

MPCG will be an interesting pick. They did a lot better than what was expected for them this year, and I am unsure if I can say they will have a bad year next season haha. They lose Chandler which is huge for that team as he was their main guy. They also lost their big kid right? So they will be a lot smaller. I wonder what the coach will do with that group. They are fun to watch and the Coach is pretty energetic.

HCV will be a strong group also. I am expecting them to finish in the top 2. HCV has the younger henningsgard coming back and both Camrud and #41. Those are some nice pieces to have. They also have the younger Reed. It could be enough to pull something off again. Rotvold will be able to direct these guys well. It wouldn't surprise me to see Rotvold and HCV pull of an upset or two state wide also with region 1/3/4/MN games.

1. Thompson with what they return they have to be the favorite in the Region.
2. HCV State champs will lose a lot but wont drop off to much, could easily repeat as region champs
3. Grafton They will have a great team again, tough group that will defend. Young posts will only get better.
4. Cavalier young group all have lots of growing up to do but the talent is there. Might have to wait a couple years to get out of the Region, once they shed some (me) ball.

I feel these 4 teams will have the best chance at the Region Championship. I also think that whoever comes out of Region 2 the next 3 years has a great chance at the State Title again.
urserious
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:32 pm

urserious wrote:
glueguy wrote:
packers21 wrote:

MY thoughts are:

1. Thompson with what they return they have to be the favorite in the Region.
2. HCV State champs will lose a lot but wont drop off to much, could easily repeat as region champs
3. Grafton They will have a great team again, tough group that will defend. Young posts will only get better.
4. Cavalier young group all have lots of growing up to do but the talent is there. Might have to wait a couple years to get out of the Region, once they shed some (me) ball.

I feel these 4 teams will have the best chance at the Region Championship. I also think that whoever comes out of Region 2 the next 3 years has a great chance at the State Title again.

I don't understand the "young group" (heard it so many times just have to voice) thing when referring to Cavalier..... there will be more than likely 2 seniors 2 juniors making up 4 of the starting five in 17-18 .....even this year they were not that young with 2 juniors and 2 sophomores....not that uncommon at all.
What hurt the team immensely was loosing a coach that had years of coaching under his belt ..(even though he was "young").... Mr. Laxdal (Bryce, because there are 2 other Mr. Laxdals) had coached at the State Tournament 2 times at least (even though he was "young") and I'm sure he had big plans on what he was going to do to make a good run at a much better seed than 8th (putting them vs State Champs first round) in the Region......but thats not how the season took place and it has nothing to do with the age of the players or what grade they were in.....also the entire roster only had 2 freshman on it and the JV was all Juniors and sophomores who obviously will be juniors and seniors next year.....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby BigBlueNation1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:51 pm

glueguy wrote:
packers21 wrote:

MY thoughts are:

Did you really just say George is a good coach?? It has nothing to do with his coaching, but with the kids just being stellar athletes. The thing that has held back Thompson is George being the coach. Every single year they lose in a big game because of his lack of brains when it comes to coaching. They start out really good and slowly get worse as the year goes on. It happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR. In big games he gets out coached and they lose. You can see it coming from a mile away. I forsee the same thing to happen again next year as it has every other year. The only way Thompson will get past that hump is if they get a new coach.
BigBlueNation1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:20 pm

BigBlueNation1 wrote:
glueguy wrote:
packers21 wrote:

MY thoughts are:

Did you really just say George is a good coach?? It has nothing to do with his coaching, but with the kids just being stellar athletes. The thing that has held back Thompson is George being the coach. Every single year they lose in a big game because of his lack of brains when it comes to coaching. They start out really good and slowly get worse as the year goes on. It happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR. In big games he gets out coached and they lose. You can see it coming from a mile away. I forsee the same thing to happen again next year as it has every other year. The only way Thompson will get past that hump is if they get a new coach.

Obviously written by someone who has never coached in their life. Tell me one game this year, and especially past years, where Thompson was outcoached and what you woulda done differently ? Any coach with a lot of wins has them bc they have been lucky enough to have some great kids to coach, that makes all the difference.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:03 pm

BigBlueNation1 wrote:
glueguy wrote:
packers21 wrote:

MY thoughts are:

I thought George did a great job in the region championship game bringing the Tommies back when they were getting tattooed at halftime.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:50 am

I think Thompson has a pretty good core of Coaches and Athletic directors etc. etc. .....look at their success in all sports (boys and girls) across the board in recent years and look at their commitment from the community and their fan base.....I look at it this way...Thompson has always been less than 10 miles from GF but have they always been this successful in Region 2? nope, they haven't....
there is a combination of things that have contributed to their success but the main one is programs and athletes in whichever order you want to put them in...
acquiring the Schwabe family to the town and the school was very instrumental to the last few years achievements along with other families who have planted their stakes into the community from other areas around the NE ND region in the recent years and of course the ones who have always called Thompson their home.........
but with that you still have to make the wheels turn and I think their Basketball team did well this year and I think their Coach does well also
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:50 pm

BigBlueNation1 wrote:
d_fense wrote:
BigBlueNation1 wrote:Hey guys, what are your thoughts on the Thompson Tommies? I recently got to watch them in Linton. In my opinion, they do not play to their strengths or use their size at all!! They got beat on the defensive boards big time!

What do you think their strengths are if you don't think that they played to them vs Linton?

I do agree that they can get out in transition and play fast but in most games they clearly have the size advantage but rarely get it into the post or even look into the post. I am just wondering if their lack of using their big men is going to hinder them later on in big games like it did in Linton.

These posts were from early in the season, before I had a chance to watch Thompson play. After having the chance to watch them a couple times, I can see why they didn't work hard at getting the ball down into the post. Their post players were not a team strength. Particularly as far as scoring goes. As a group their "big men's" strength was moving (getting up and down the court). They had numbers enough to use kids off the bench without a huge drop off in ability, which helped. That also tells me as someone who didn't watch them regularly, that I am likely correct in my 2 game sample size, in my thinking that they didn't have a true offensive threat in the post. I am not saying their front court wasn't alright. But, I am a believer in playing to your strengths, and the front court wasn't their strength.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:27 pm

anyone know the all region team?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby momofathletes » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:10 am

Flip wrote:anyone know the all region team?

Most all region teams are listed in the "2017 Region Tournament" thread
There's No Crying in Basketball
momofathletes
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Boys