2016 All-State Team

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2016 All-State Team

Postby packers21 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:26 pm

d_fense wrote:
packers21 wrote:I think it's funny all you guys have a problem with the list but no one has the intestinal fortitude to say who they would take off the teams.

For me I wouldn't touch the the first team I think they are fine IMO. Second team I would take off Brown for a player like Entzi who I think is a better player and played on a better team.

And EHS a coach doesn't politic for a player to make the team. In fact you can't even vote for a player from your own team.

Packers21, some coaches do politic for their players, not all, but some. Why wouldn't they if they have relationships with or visit with members of the media (radio, newspaper, and television)? No coach votes for any player in regards to all-state. It is only voted on by media.

Guess you're right it probably happens.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:24 pm

d_fense wrote:
packers21 wrote:I think it's funny all you guys have a problem with the list but no one has the intestinal fortitude to say who they would take off the teams.

For me I wouldn't touch the the first team I think they are fine IMO. Second team I would take off Brown for a player like Entzi who I think is a better player and played on a better team.

And EHS a coach doesn't politic for a player to make the team. In fact you can't even vote for a player from your own team.

Packers21, some coaches do politic for their players, not all, but some. Why wouldn't they if they have relationships with or visit with members of the media (radio, newspaper, and television)? No coach votes for any player in regards to all-state. It is only voted on by media.

I think the word is Lobbied vs Politic but I get the picture :) and I hope it isnt a true lobby in the sence of $$$ exchange haha.... although I think this year Mr. B went the way it should have......I've always liked a true Basketball player to win it vs a 3 sport or 2 sport guru, unless of course all entries are just that.....Feather stood alone in the sense of Baller....hitting 51% beyond the arc is a lock alone IMO...heII, even Curry doesn't compare to that :) every year is different....this was a fun year of Ball all the way to last nites NCAA game...
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:13 pm

So because you play multiple sports that means you aren't a "true basketball player"?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:52 am

The Schwab wrote:So because you play multiple sports that means you aren't a "true basketball player"?

depends how good you are at the other 1 or 2 or 3 sports....

example: Dave Winfield played Basketball and Baseball for the Gophers, he was coached in both by 2 great coaches, he was drafted by MLB, ABA, NBA, and actually by the NFL even though he did not play College Football....he chose Baseball because he felt that was his sport that he could excel the most at in, an then ultimately making the H.O.Fame..

so IMO the most deserving Mr.Basketball year in and year out is the fellow that holds the most skill set for the game of Basketball with the best stats and court presence etc etc....with that said this can be a close vote, hence the discussions and sometimes disagreements.....no disrespect to anybody or anyone past, present, future....play the sport/sports you love and see where they bring you!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:58 am

Most coaches that I know would much rather have a multi-sport player than one who just "focuses" on a single sport. There are different skills and different things to learn from each sport and they can all help you become a better, more rounded athlete. I have been coaching for close to 30 years and over that time my best basketball players were multi-sport athletes (both boys and girls).
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:18 am

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:So because you play multiple sports that means you aren't a "true basketball player"?

depends how good you are at the other 1 or 2 or 3 sports....

example: Dave Winfield played Basketball and Baseball for the Gophers, he was coached in both by 2 great coaches, he was drafted by MLB, ABA, NBA, and actually by the NFL even though he did not play College Football....he chose Baseball because he felt that was his sport that he could excel the most at in, an then ultimately making the H.O.Fame..

so IMO the most deserving Mr.Basketball year in and year out is the fellow that holds the most skill set for the game of Basketball with the best stats and court presence etc etc....with that said this can be a close vote, hence the discussions and sometimes disagreements.....no disrespect to anybody or anyone past, present, future....play the sport/sports you love and see where they bring you!!

I agree with the bold statement. Did you watch all of the Mr. Basketball Finalists play this season?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:32 am

all but Wanzek and Hurlburt
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:49 am

You must put on some miles during the basketball season!
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:18 am

The Schwab wrote:You must put on some miles during the basketball season!

Stream, TV and Live......
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:05 pm

Were you surprised with Feather?....

and I know not everybody can win it but whos your top 4 in order....
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:56 pm

I was shocked actually, that doesn't mean I don't think he deserved it by the way. I was very impressed with him. I've always looked at Mr. Basketball as a career award (since only seniors can win it) so my top 4 would be different than most peoples.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:07 pm

The Schwab wrote:I was shocked actually, that doesn't mean I don't think he deserved it by the way. I was very impressed with him. I've always looked at Mr. Basketball as a career award (since only seniors can win it) so my top 4 would be different than most peoples.

I could understand the career thing but if its for seniors and they missed all or part of their jr year due to injury but lit it up their senior year....they deserve it, although you may not see that happen very often

but here is what the criteria is:

Mr. Basketball:
A player must exemplify basketball ability and sportsmanship to be a finalist. Other criteria may include community involvement and scholastic achievement.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:23 pm

again, my list would be different than most. That is the most broad definition I've ever heard.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:09 pm

The Schwab wrote:again, my list would be different than most. That is the most broad definition I've ever heard.

haha, agreed but off the ND site

its hard to believe there are 8 more candidates

imagine picking Ohio's or even MN
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:28 pm

I agree 100% with Balla.

I had a chance to see Wyatt Carr play ball this weekend at the Grand Am in the championship game. There is no doubt in my mind that he's currently the top player in the state of ND at either class and I truly believe he's D1 material. He has size, he can defend, he can rebound, and he works extremely hard. Another observation, he has great respect for the game and he has respect for his opponents. IMHO - He's a once in every 20 year talent, and definitely should've been a first teamer this past year.

If you're a fan of BB, try to make an effort to watch this kid play next year.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:38 pm

Moody from Dickinson would probably top my list, but Carr is number 2 IMO
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:23 pm

UNDSiouxfan wrote:I agree 100% with Balla.

I had a chance to see Wyatt Carr play ball this weekend at the Grand Am in the championship game. There is no doubt in my mind that he's currently the top player in the state of ND at either class and I truly believe he's D1 material. He has size, he can defend, he can rebound, and he works extremely hard. Another observation, he has great respect for the game and he has respect for his opponents. IMHO - He's a once in every 20 year talent, and definitely should've been a first teamer this past year.

If you're a fan of BB, try to make an effort to watch this kid play next year.

Agreed. Carr reminds me of Heidlebaugh of Rugby from last year. Maybe even a bit more polished. Athletic, plays both ends of the court, good outside shooter and can finish strong at the rim.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Nodak Guy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:31 pm

balla45 wrote:

I said I would take every single player off for Carr. I don't think there is a reason for me to say who I specifically think was the worst of the 5.

In my opinion, the top 5 individual seasons in ND basketball this year were, in order.
Aanen Moody
Wyatt Carr
Brody Nieuwsma
Jacob Mertens
Dalton Feeney

That is as far as I will go.

Also, Dalton Poitra being an alternate for Lion's is a joke.

Poitra chose the Shrine over the Lions. He turned down the Lions in order to play football. Pretty tough choice when you are talented in both.
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby theoldman » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:57 am

I don't think that is true. I may have my facts wrong but I do not think he chose at all. I think he was snubbed from the Lions. Either way I agree he is a very talented player in both sports and hopefully he plays well n the Shrine.
theoldman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Nodak Guy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:26 pm

theoldman wrote:I don't think that is true. I may have my facts wrong but I do not think he chose at all. I think he was snubbed from the Lions. Either way I agree he is a very talented player in both sports and hopefully he plays well n the Shrine.

No, it's true. Lots of guys have to choose between the two. He was put on the active roster and declined for football.
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:08 pm

Nodak Guy wrote:
theoldman wrote:I don't think that is true. I may have my facts wrong but I do not think he chose at all. I think he was snubbed from the Lions. Either way I agree he is a very talented player in both sports and hopefully he plays well n the Shrine.

No, it's true. Lots of guys have to choose between the two. He was put on the active roster and declined for football.

So you are saying that when the Lions all star committee met over state basketball and they came up with the list of 12 players and 3 (i think that's the number) alternates for each class that the athlete in question was one of the first 12 players they had chosen, correct? If that is what you are saying then you are 100% wrong.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby theoldman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:17 am

Nodak Guy wrote:

Nodak Guy I am just curious where your facts came from? Again I may be wrong just hearing conflicting reports on this.
theoldman
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:21 pm

theoldman wrote:
Nodak Guy wrote:

Nodak Guy I am just curious where your facts came from? Again I may be wrong just hearing conflicting reports on this.

Just trying to understand why it matters?
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:46 pm

The reason I would say it matters is the fact that we have a 2000 point scorer who was 1st team all state and wasn't chosen as a Lions All Star. I would find it very difficult to come up with 5 class B seniors who are more deserving, let alone 12. If the athlete is good enough to play in both games, then select him for both and let him make the decision (actually let the athlete play in both, but that's a whole different story).
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:40 pm

Just a reminder that the coaches are putting together an actual team that is going to have to compete in an actual game. It is an absolute honor for the players but it is not necessarily the 12 best players as they have to put the right pieces together. For example if the 8 best players in the state were all posts or all were guards, they probably aren't all going to make the team. I have never seen the kid play so I wouldn't dare to weigh in on whether he should have been selected or not. However, points scored over a career is not necessarily a hard requirement for inclusion in this game as we all know there are a lot of variables that impact how many points a player scores over a career. My last point is I am more apt to trust a group of coaches to pick a group of players than members of the media but again they are using a different set of criteria for different purposes.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys