2016 All-State Team

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2016 All-State Team

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:28 pm

CLASS B BOYS ALL-STATE TEAM
FIRST TEAM
Graham Hurlburt, Enderlin
Brody Nieuwsma, Strasburg/Zeeland
Jason Feather, Four Winds-Minnewaukan
Dalton Poitra, St John
Hayden Sadowsky, Hettinger-Scranton

SECOND TEAM
Grady Bresnahan, Central Cass
Logan Nelson, Northern Cass
Ethan Brown, Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page
Jayden Grover, Griggs County Central
Hunter Pinke, South Border
Jayden Komrosky, North Star
Tronis McKay, Four Winds-Minnewaukan
Zac Martin, Shiloh Christian
Josh VanLith, Our Redeemer's
Cordell Volson, Drake-Anamoose
Wyatt Carr, Hazen
Deyondre Simpson, Parshall
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2016 All-State Team

Postby balla45 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:56 pm

There were not 5 players in Class B North Dakota better than Wyatt Carr this season.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:10 pm

Congrats to Jayden Komrosky. That's 8 straight years that North Star has put at least one player on the team, at least 4 of those years they've had 2.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:34 pm

balla45 wrote:There were not 5 players in Class B North Dakota better than Wyatt Carr this season.

So which one of the seniors would you take off ?

The 3 Mr. Basketball finalists?
Mr. Basketball?
Or the kid who scored over 2,000 pts ?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:09 am

packers21 wrote:
balla45 wrote:There were not 5 players in Class B North Dakota better than Wyatt Carr this season.

So which one of the seniors would you take off ?

The 3 Mr. Basketball finalists?
Mr. Basketball?
Or the kid who scored over 2,000 pts ?

Rather not give a name. 3 of them played for me.

I don't think any 1st Team All State player is better than Carr though.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:02 am

I tend to agree with Balla about Carr.

But we all need to remember that this process is extremely flawed and there really is no way to correct it. In addition to being a good player and having good numbers, if they have a coach who will politic for them with the media, that kid will have an advantage.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby q » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:39 am

EHS1998 wrote:I tend to agree with Balla about Carr.

But we all need to remember that this process is extremely flawed and there really is no way to correct it. In addition to being a good player and having good numbers, if they have a coach who will politic for them with the media, that kid will have an advantage.

I'm not sure what process you're describing. It is up to a media representative in each region to get opinions from the coaches. Coaches can choose players from their region, but not players from their own team. That would seem to be opposite of what you're suggesting. Carr very narrowly missed the first team, but since the names are released in random order, you'd have no way of knowing that.
q -- the only letter that does not appear in any US state name
q
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:29 am

Q - My understanding is that media members from any area can vote for any nominee, therefore, if a coach politics successfully with media sources from different areas, their players chances of getting votes improves.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:59 pm

EHS1998, I thought Entzi from EKM would be on the second team. What is your thought on him being left off?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:09 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:EHS1998, I thought Entzi from EKM would be on the second team. What is your thought on him being left off?

I thought Connor was probably deserving but that Drew Thielges from LLM would more than likely be ahead of him. However, for my money, Brennan Vance was the third best all around player in Region 3 this past year behind Niewsma and Pinke.

I just want to be clear that I am not taking anything away from Connor, most years he is an absolute All stater.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby baloncesto » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:42 am

Without a doubt I think there are 2-3 guys i would take off in favor in Carr. IMO also, if we are talking about the best 5 basketball players, I have a hard time keeping Pinke off that list. Not sure his stats though, so i could be wrong. Obviously he never made it to state and didn't get his name out there also. I think Thielges and Entzi are both missing from second team. A case could be made for Jake Hanson from MNS.
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:56 am

Wyatt Carr is a tremendous basketball player, he was probably deserving of being on the 1st team. I haven't seen all of the 5 first team selections play, I have seen 3 of them play. Make no mistake, all of those 3 are deserving of the team they were on. If you have seen all 5 play and then feel that Carr should have been on the team I respect your opinion. I know Balla probably has seen all of them play, so I respect his opinion. If you haven't seen all of them play, please don't come on here and try to diminish the accomplishments of the ones who were named to the team. Just so we're clear, I have seen Wyatt Carr play and of the players I have seen play this year he is in the top 4 without question.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby leroybla » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:24 pm

The Schwab wrote:Wyatt Carr is a tremendous basketball player, he was probably deserving of being on the 1st team. I haven't seen all of the 5 first team selections play, I have seen 3 of them play. Make no mistake, all of those 3 are deserving of the team they were on. If you have seen all 5 play and then feel that Carr should have been on the team I respect your opinion. I know Balla probably has seen all of them play, so I respect his opinion. If you haven't seen all of them play, please don't come on here and try to diminish the accomplishments of the ones who were named to the team. Just so we're clear, I have seen Wyatt Carr play and of the players I have seen play this year he is in the top 4 without question.

While I expect all the mentioned players were leaders on their teams, and had good stats, their teams played very different schedules. Hazen's SOS number was only .510. Of course, players on FW-M have the benefit of winning the state tournament, and presumeably playing against the best competition in the state, and ended with a .606 SOS. Teams from Griggs County Central, FSHP, and Drake were below .500 SOS and Enderlin at .501 and Hazen at .510 SOS. Personal stats may be a bit inflated with these teams.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:34 pm

I think it's funny all you guys have a problem with the list but no one has the intestinal fortitude to say who they would take off the teams.

For me I wouldn't touch the the first team I think they are fine IMO. Second team I would take off Brown for a player like Entzi who I think is a better player and played on a better team.

And EHS a coach doesn't politic for a player to make the team. In fact you can't even vote for a player from your own team.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:22 pm

scc wrote:
packers21 wrote:I think it's funny all you guys have a problem with the list but no one has the intestinal fortitude to say who they would take off the teams.

For me I wouldn't touch the the first team I think they are fine IMO. Second team I would take off Brown for a player like Entzi who I think is a better player and played on a better team.

And EHS a coach doesn't politic for a player to make the team. In fact you can't even vote for a player from your own team.

I don't see anything wrong with some good debate over guys who may have just missed the honor, but it seems a bit unfair to start pointing out who you'd take off the list. Region 2's best player this year was Brown, and he had an all-state season.

The ENTIRE reason for this site is to debate...one of the reasons everyone has stopped posting on here and its been so slow is everyone is so scared to debate anything. If you're going to say someone should def be on the list you should be able to resonably argue why and who you would take off without hurting anyones feelings..all of these players are great. And I would love to argue your point of Brown being the best playing in region 2.. that to me is almost laughable.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:45 pm

One player I watched play this season that IMO could have a strong case for being on this team was Shawn Stoltz from Dickinson Trinity.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:46 pm

scc wrote:
packers21 wrote:
scc wrote:
packers21 wrote:I think it's funny all you guys have a problem with the list but no one has the intestinal fortitude to say who they would take off the teams.

I don't see anything wrong with some good debate over guys who may have just missed the honor, but it seems a bit unfair to start pointing out who you'd take off the list. Region 2's best player this year was Brown, and he had an all-state season.

The ENTIRE reason for this site is to debate...one of the reasons everyone has stopped posting on here and its been so slow is everyone is so scared to debate anything. If you're going to say someone should def be on the list you should be able to resonably argue why and who you would take off without hurting anyones feelings..all of these players are great. And I would love to argue your point of Brown being the best playing in region 2.. that to me is almost laughable.

Read what I said. I don't see anything wrong with debating who may have missed all-state, but to argue over who should have the award taken away is not necessary. Brown was everything for FSHP, a team that was decimated by injuries. Had Grover not been hurt for over a fourth of the season, you could put him right up there. They both made all-state. Was there anyone head-and-shoulders above the rest of Region 2 this year? No.

I did read what you said. I just dont agree I guess I dont see a problem saying I would take anyone off. Brown literally took 65%+ shots for a team that won what 6 games, anyone is gunna put up high totals like that. I also like Grovers game but he missed half of the season. Neither of these two were even the best post in the region the last half or more of the year, droog from Grafton was and lead his team to state. Neither of these guys got their teams to the Betty.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:09 pm

scc wrote:
packers21 wrote:
scc wrote:
packers21 wrote:
scc wrote:

Read what I said. I don't see anything wrong with debating who may have missed all-state, but to argue over who should have the award taken away is not necessary. Brown was everything for FSHP, a team that was decimated by injuries. Had Grover not been hurt for over a fourth of the season, you could put him right up there. They both made all-state. Was there anyone head-and-shoulders above the rest of Region 2 this year? No.

I did read what you said. I just dont agree I guess I dont see a problem saying I would take anyone off. Brown literally took 65%+ shots for a team that won what 6 games, anyone is gunna put up high totals like that. I also like Grovers game but he missed half of the season. Neither of these two were even the best post in the region the last half or more of the year, droog from Grafton was and lead his team to state. Neither of these guys got their teams to the Betty.

Droog would have been very deserving for all-state. They made a great late-season run.

FSHP averaged 50 points per game, 24 of which were Brown's. So, he took literally 65%+ of the team's shots? Literally an exaggeration.

Grover did not miss half the season. Literally another exaggeration.

Literally and exaggeration?? I believe Grover played 12/13 games not exactly positive his team played 22 I wasnt exactly right on half the year but I was pretty close.

I never said it was Browns fault he took a high percentage of his teams shots, I dont have his stats and idk if you do but he took a very high percentage of his teams shots and probably should of taken more honestly.

If you take some of the better players off of very teams that lead their teams to regional tournaments and beyond, put them on bad teams and let them take a high percentage of shots. They are going to put up good numbers.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:47 pm

scc wrote:Grover missed, I believe, 5 1/2 games. I think this is a North/South argument you're trying to make. See 2013.

Sure it's a north south argument if your the north. My original argument was for Entzi on and Brown off. Would like to know the numbers for sure on Grover even tho I believe he should be on the team.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:54 am

I said I would take every single player off for Carr. I don't think there is a reason for me to say who I specifically think was the worst of the 5.

In my opinion, the top 5 individual seasons in ND basketball this year were, in order.
Aanen Moody
Wyatt Carr
Brody Nieuwsma
Jacob Mertens
Dalton Feeney

That is as far as I will go.

Also, Dalton Poitra being an alternate for Lion's is a joke.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:19 am

balla45 wrote:

I said I would take every single player off for Carr. I don't think there is a reason for me to say who I specifically think was the worst of the 5.

In my opinion, the top 5 individual seasons in ND basketball this year were, in order.
Aanen Moody
Wyatt Carr
Brody Nieuwsma
Jacob Mertens
Dalton Feeney

I can understand why you dont want to name names. Im 100% on board with Poitra with the Lions game, I just love his game and feel he was left out.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby senditin » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:35 am

packers21 wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Aanen Moody
Wyatt Carr
Brody Nieuwsma
Jacob Mertens
Dalton Feeney

I can understand why you dont want to name names. Im 100% on board with Poitra with the Lions game, I just love his game and feel he was left out.

Hard for you to accept Feather being Mr BB? The kid would have averaged 30, but the majority of FWM games where over half way thru the 2nd quarter. Poitra has no concept of how to play D and fattened his stats by scoring 40+ vs teams like Warwick and Langdon, etc.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:28 pm

senditin wrote:
packers21 wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Aanen Moody
Wyatt Carr
Brody Nieuwsma
Jacob Mertens
Dalton Feeney

Hard for you to accept Feather being Mr BB? The kid would have averaged 30, but the majority of FWM games where over half way thru the 2nd quarter. Poitra has no concept of how to play D and fattened his stats by scoring 40+ vs teams like Warwick and Langdon, etc.

Actually do not have a major problem with Feather winning Mr. Basketball. I think Nieuwsma had a better overall year and is a slightly better player, and I think Feeney was the best actual senior player.

Mr. Basketball votes are due the day after the 1st round of the State B. Feeney and Nieuwsma both lost in round 1, so I expected Feather to win after that. Nieuwsma did not have a great 1st game. Don't know him, but seems like a great kid. I do not even think Feather winning it is a travesty.

Poitra is a 2x All State player and a 1st team guy this year and he did not get in. That does not make much sense.

I do not think I am stretching with my top 5 seasons this year. My point is that Carr had, in my opinion, the 2nd best season of any player in North Dakota. I did watch every !st team B kid and every A kid who made All State.

On Mr. Basketball, my only issue with the voting is that we had kids who did not get 1st team all state in their respective class getting 1st place votes. Does not make much, if any sense.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:06 pm

packers21 wrote:And EHS a coach doesn't politic for a player to make the team. In fact you can't even vote for a player from your own team.

I know of one specific instance where this has occurred. Coaches don't vote at all as I understand it.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:00 pm

Packers21, some coaches do politic for their players, not all, but some. Why wouldn't they if they have relationships with or visit with members of the media (radio, newspaper, and television)? No coach votes for any player in regards to all-state. It is only voted on by media.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys