16-17 region 1

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

16-17 region 1

Postby district2fanog » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:44 pm

top teams for next year

1. OG
2. NC
3. Kindred
4. FCT/Rosholt
5. Enderlin

Who won coach of the year in Class B this year? I would assume Four Winds coach.
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Re: 16-17 region 1

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:13 pm

district2fanog wrote:top teams for next year

1. OG
2. NC
3. Kindred
4. FCT/Rosholt
5. Enderlin

Who won coach of the year in Class B this year? I would assume Four Winds coach.

Yes, Smith was COY pretty clear cut this year. He did a great job.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:16 pm

OG fan,

I had to respond to your post. It is unbelievable that you don't have Hankinson in your "Top 5". Or Milnor, who will probably have the best guard in the Region in Jake Hanson. Hankinson will return two important pieces to build upon - their PG Nick Mauch who has started the last two years, and easily the best big Man in the Region in Cody Mauch (and from what I saw last weekend at the state B - well..l I didn't see any that were comparable). Cody Mauch will be one of the top post players in the entire state next year. Look for him to be all state material along with Hanson from Milnor.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:13 pm

UNDSiouxfan wrote:OG fan,

I had to respond to your post. It is unbelievable that you don't have Hankinson in your "Top 5". Or Milnor, who will probably have the best guard in the Region in Jake Hanson. Hankinson will return two important pieces to build upon - their PG Nick Mauch who has started the last two years, and easily the best big Man in the Region in Cody Mauch (and from what I saw last weekend at the state B - well..l I didn't see any that were comparable). Cody Mauch will be one of the top post players in the entire state next year. Look for him to be all state material along with Hanson from Milnor.

I'd say Top 4...no particular order:
Northern Cass
Oak Grove
Hankinson
Milnor-North Sargent

It will be interesting to see what Enderlin can do without Hurlburt and what Tri-State (FCT/Rosholt) looks like for next season...hard to tell as I don't know what Rosholt had.

Agreed Cody Mauch is my early pick for Top R1 player...Hanson a close 2nd...Nelson (NC) 3rd.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Cap'n Crunch » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:29 pm

My way to early top 5 teams going into next year:

#1 MNS In my opinion Jake Hanson is the best player in the region now and he will be playing mostly with Gwinner kids that he has been playing with forever. I think MNS is going to be better than they were this year.

#2 Hankinson Cody is definitely the best big man in the region next year just like he was this year. Pair him with Nick Mauch who is a lot better than most people give him credit for. Coach Gaukler will have a lot to work with next year.

#3 Oak Grove They return everyone I believe and they really came on at the end of the year. I'm sure they're set again for the next couple years.

#4 Kindred Sioux is right I completely blanked and left them off a different page. Kindred surprised some people this year and return most of their squad. This team will be in the mix right up to the end

#5 NCass I might be way off having them this low, and I don't know how much they return other than Nelson. Nelson is a lights out shooter, but I'm not sure if he can carry his team all year.
Cap'n Crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:33 pm

Cap'n Crunch wrote:My way to early top 5 teams going into next year:

#1 MNS In my opinion Jake Hanson is the best player in the region now and he will be playing mostly with Gwinner kids that he has been playing with forever. I think MNS is going to be better than they were this year.

#2 Hankinson Cody is definitely the best big man in the region next year just like he was this year. Pair him with Nick Mauch who is a lot better than most people give him credit for. Coach Gaukler will have a lot to work with next year.

#3 Oak Grove They return everyone I believe and they really came on at the end of the year. I'm sure they're set again for the next couple years.

#4 Kindred Sioux is right I completely blanked and left them off a different page. Kindred surprised some people this year and return most of their squad. This team will be in the mix right up to the end

#5 NCass I might be way off having them this low, and I don't know how much they return other than Nelson. Nelson is a lights out shooter, but I'm not sure if he can carry his team all year.

2016-17 is their year since most of the team will be seniors next year...they have a few key sophomores that will be juniors next year...but they'll drop off a bit in 2017-18...however rest of region drops off a bit too.

Jensen (NC) is only a sophomore now...so if he improves greatly then Nelson won't have as much 'carrying' to do next year.

M-NS will have to learn the art of defense before I make them my #1...Hankinson already understands that.

I will do an Analysis on Region 1 tomorrow night...and the state this weekend...then its off to Spring sports for me!!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:50 pm

REGION 1 TEMPLATE FOR 2016-17 SEASON
Athletes that graduate and Athletes that return next season...should help in guidance for predictions to know what is returning for each team.

FAIRMOUNT/CT
**adding Rosholt, SD and being named Tri-State...NO info on Rosholt athletes**

2015-16 Record: 2-18

LOST: Eli Christensen

RETURNING: Micah Christensen, Mason Busby

HANKINSON

2015-16 Record: 17-7 (3rd Place)

LOST: Bailey Hernandez, Trevor Weidner, Kendrick Lenzen, Ethan Mahrer

RETURNING: Cody Mauch, Nick Mauch, Ryan Biewer

LIDGERWOOD/WYNDMERE

2015-16 Record: 11-10

LOST: Adolfo Vasquez, Colson Barton

RETURNING: Wyatt Harles, Alix Wisnewski, Aaron Bell, Tanner Kuzel

OAK GROVE

2015-16 Record: 11-13 (Region Runner Up)

LOST: Jaxson Dangerfield (missed 2nd half of 2015-16 season)

RETURNING: Bryce Bakkegard, Jimmy Slagle, Devon Foster, Andrew Christianson, Justin Berg, Jace Pulst...rest of team

RICHLAND

2015-16 Record: 10-11

LOST: Brady Heyen, Alec Heesch, Cade Koenig, Devin Flaa, Travor Flaa, Nathan Myers

RETURNING: Cooper Lingen

MAPLE VALLEY

2015-16 Record: 10-11

LOST: Riggs Nudell, Caid Combs, Jesse Johnson

RETURNING: Dustin Kasowski, Hunter Smith, Tanner Smith, Sean Baillke

ENDERLIN

2015-16 Record: 15-8 (4th Place)

LOST: Graham Hurlburt, Jorun Hamre, Dillan Bartholomay, Matthew Kittelson, Lorenzo Strand, Devon Carter

RETURNING: Peter Lindgren, Chance Bye

MILNOR-NORTH SARGENT

2015-16 Record: 16-5

LOST: Masen Olsen, Quincey Marlett, Ryder Goolsbey, Dawson Kaufmann, Hunter Bussman, Joseph Greenmyer

RETURNING: Jake Hansen, Drew Asche, Mark McFarland, Adam Sakry

NORTHERN CASS

2015-16 Record: 20-6 (State - 5th Place)

LOST: Cody Springer, Dawson Hayden

RETURNING: Logan Nelson, Nick Nelson, Brant Bohmert, Marcus Jensen

LISBON

2015-16 Record: 9-13

LOST: Riley Lau, Austin Pithey, Noah Ward, Taylor Goettle, Brendon Colgrove

RETURNING: Unsure

CENTRAL CASS

2015-16 Record: 16-6

LOST: Grady Bresnahan, Harrison Koetz, Jack Morris, Jacob Dooley

RETURNING: Michael Ueland, Garrett Prante, Tate Kamas, Tyler Schneider

KINDRED

2015-16 Record: 10-12

LOST: Riley Holland

RETURNING: Derek Houska, Ethan Lingen, Brock Benson, Nicky Zink

SARGENT CENTRAL

2015-16 Record: 2-19

LOST: Brook Bergh, Adam Mlnarik, Lucas Parrow

RETURNING: Matt Colemer, Drew Wittich
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Cap'n Crunch » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:28 am

Has anyone gathered any info on Tri-State? I'm curious as to how much ammo they get from Rosholt, and if it will make them a threat in the region.
Cap'n Crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby leroybla » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:10 am

Tri-state had a couple of sturdy 6'-5'" junior kids on their football team and some fairly athletic running backs.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ChickenWing » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:20 pm

Micah Christensen will still be the best player on the team as a sophomore.
ChickenWing
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Big Blue » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:51 am

From the looks of it, there is one full-time starter back from Rosholt (Nathan Lick) and two reserve post players that stand around 6-foot-5.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:32 pm

Region 1 is going to be battle tested this year with a lot of returning talent. Most of the teams in the Region last year were Junior - led teams so there is a lot of experience coming back. Northern Cass deserves to be the preseason favorite, and I'd expect them to finish towards the top. I may be biased towards R1, but the Hoopster is way off. I would say that Northern Cass, Kindred, Oak Grove, Hankinson, MNS are all teams that should be in the top 20 overall. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood & Central Cass are right there also.

We'll see how the year plays out, but I would take the Hankinson Pirates to go to state this year. They are going to be very strong in the frontcourt and they will be very tough defensively. They have the best overall player in the Region in Cody Mauch and their point guard, Nick Mauch, is a 3 year starter that knows how to take care of the ball and get to the hoop. When he scores big, this team will be tough to stop because their interior players are going to be strong. Their only weakness will be finding some outside shooters, if they can be consistent in that area they are going to have a great season.

Region 1 has some exciting teams that are really going to run up the court. I expect a lot of high scoring games and this will be a great winter of basketball.

Predictions:

1. Hankinson
2. Northern Cass
3. MNS
4. Kindred
5. OG
6. Wyndmere/Lidgerwood
7. Central Cass
8. Richland
9. Enderlin
10. Maple Valley
11. FCT - Tri State
12. Lisbon
13. Sargent Central

Top 20 Players in the Region to watch:

1. Cody Mauch - Hankinson
2. Jake Hanson - MNS
3. Logan Nelson - NCass
4. Bryce Bakkegard - OG
5. Nick Mauch - Hankinson
6. Brock Benson - Kindred
7. Ethan Lingen - Kindred
8. Cooper Lingen - Richland
9. Brant Bohmert - NCass
10. Nick Nelson - NCass
11. Adam Sakry - MNS
12. Michael Ueland - CCass
13. Alex Wisnewski - W/L
14. Andrew Christianson - OG
15. Micah Christenson - FCT Tri State
16. Peter Lindgren - Enderlin
17. Jimmy Slagle - OG
18. Wyatt Harles - W/L
19. Nick Zink - Kindred
20. Marcus Jensen - NCass
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:40 pm

Here is my list of top players in Region 1. I think it is a stronger group than last seasons. I have included 6 that just missed my top 15. I could make an argument that any of those 6 could be placed at 14 or 15 on my list. I would struggle making a case for any of them higher than that. Please take a look at my list and let me known where you think I am wrong. I'll let you know why I went a certain way, or you may change me mind. :)

1. Jake Hanson (sr) MNS- 1000+ points and didn’t play varsity as a freshman. Not only top athlete in the region but hardest competitor. Best pg in the state.
2. Logan Nelson (sr) NC- Superior shooter, great length for a guard (6’3” and still growing), and possesses skills that are very uncommon for a player over six foot tall. May have most college potential among all Class B players in the state, including Carr.
3. Cody Mauch (sr) Hankinson- Best big in the state, not region. Athletically he is incredibly gifted and skilled as well. If he loved basketball and put the time in that Hanson, Nelson, or Lindgren did, he would be #1 in the region.
4. Peter Lindgren (sr) Enderlin- at about 6’4” he is a standout physically alone. But, he has put in the time and can do everything from playing the point (well, not just getting by) to posting up against quality post defenders. He may score 30+ ppg this year.
5. Brock Benson (sr) Kindred- Brock is the best player on one of the not only best coached but best teams in the region. The confidence that Brock should have after a standout senior season of football should really carry over to the hardwood.
6. Nick Nelson (sr) NC- Nick plays a back seat roll to Logan, but he is one of the top players in the region. He is unselfish, top notch defender, makes good decisions with the ball, and is a clutch player regardless of sport.
7. Bryce Bakkegard(sr) OG- Very good shooter with size and experience. I think he settles for 3’s to often. If he put it on the floor and drove more often, he would be much harder to defend.
8. Nick Mauch (sr) Hankinson- Very good ball handler and defender. If he would shoot the ball more, he would be among the best guards in the state.
9. Michael Ueland (sr) CC- Smooth post player with a soft touch. Very light feet for a player his size. I think he will put up BIG numbers as I feel his team will slow the pace and look to the post more than in recent seasons, as they will not have as strong of a backcourt as in the recent past.
10. Ethan Lingen (sr) Kindred- I put Ethan here because of his athleticism, length, and confidence. Ethan had a wonderful FB season leading Kindred to the title game as their qb. Above average shooter.
11. Jimmy Slagle (sr) OG- strong dependable ball handler, decision maker, and defender for one of the top teams in the region. Jimmy runs things well, but steps up when things are tight, in whatever capacity the team needs.
12. Alex Wisnewski (sr) WL- I am very curious to see what Alex’s role will be this season. He has played a lot of point for them in the past. I think he is their best ball handler, offensive post player, and passer. He isn’t super quick and doesn’t have great size (around six foot), but I think he is clearly the best player on a team that should finish in the top half of the region.
13. Garrett Prante (sr) CC- He plays good defense, works harder than most and has been efficient offensively, although his offensive role has been a bit limited due to past returners. I think people will take notice and see just how nice of a player Garrett is this season.
14. Hunter Smith (jr) MV- Hunter is not just a good athlete, he is put together pretty well. Last year I felt he was a little up and down on the offensive end, but that was really seemed to be the case with his team as a whole (and he was just a sophomore). This summer I saw improvements in his game in both skill and physically.
15. Andrew Christianson (jr) OG- Shot well from 3 last season and was 0.2 points a game away from leading the Grover’s in scoring last year. Should improve quite a bit from sophomore season physically and mentally as a player.
Just missing my top 15, in no particular order….
Brant Bohmert (sr) NC, Marcus Jensen (jr) NC, Drew Asche (sr) MNS, Adam Sacry (sr) MNS, Devon Foster (sr) OG, Micah Christensen (so) Tri Co.
****Edit**** I need to also add Cooper Lingen (sr) Richland into the "just missing my top 15 list.
Last edited by d_fense on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:42 pm

d_fense wrote:Here is my list of top players in Region 1. I think it is a stronger group than last seasons. I have included 6 that just missed my top 15. I could make an argument that any of those 6 could be placed at 14 or 15 on my list. I would struggle making a case for any of them higher than that. Please take a look at my list and let me known where you think I am wrong. I'll let you know why I went a certain way, or you may change me mind. :)

1. Jake Hanson (sr) MNS- 1000+ points and didn’t play varsity as a freshman. Not only top athlete in the region but hardest competitor. Best pg in the state.
2. Logan Nelson (sr) NC- Superior shooter, great length for a guard (6’3” and still growing), and possesses skills that are very uncommon for a player over six foot tall. May have most college potential among all Class B players in the state, including Carr.
3. Cody Mauch (sr) Hankinson- Best big in the state, not region. Athletically he is incredibly gifted and skilled as well. If he loved basketball and put the time in that Hanson, Nelson, or Lindgren did, he would be #1 in the region.
4. Peter Lindgren (sr) Enderlin- at about 6’4” he is a standout physically alone. But, he has put in the time and can do everything from playing the point (well, not just getting by) to posting up against quality post defenders. He may score 30+ ppg this year.
5. Brock Benson (sr) Kindred- Brock is the best player on one of the not only best coached but best teams in the region. The confidence that Brock should have after a standout senior season of football should really carry over to the hardwood.
6. Nick Nelson (sr) NC- Nick plays a back seat roll to Logan, but he is one of the top players in the region. He is unselfish, top notch defender, makes good decisions with the ball, and is a clutch player regardless of sport.
7. Bryce Bakkegard(sr) OG- Very good shooter with size and experience. I think he settles for 3’s to often. If he put it on the floor and drove more often, he would be much harder to defend.
8. Nick Mauch (sr) Hankinson- Very good ball handler and defender. If he would shoot the ball more, he would be among the best guards in the state.
9. Michael Ueland (sr) CC- Smooth post player with a soft touch. Very light feet for a player his size. I think he will put up BIG numbers as I feel his team will slow the pace and look to the post more than in recent seasons, as they will not have as strong of a backcourt as in the recent past.
10. Ethan Lingen (sr) Kindred- I put Ethan here because of his athleticism, length, and confidence. Ethan had a wonderful FB season leading Kindred to the title game as their qb. Above average shooter.
11. Jimmy Slagle (sr) OG- strong dependable ball handler, decision maker, and defender for one of the top teams in the region. Jimmy runs things well, but steps up when things are tight, in whatever capacity the team needs.
12. Alex Wisnewski (sr) WL- I am very curious to see what Alex’s role will be this season. He has played a lot of point for them in the past. I think he is their best ball handler, offensive post player, and passer. He isn’t super quick and doesn’t have great size (around six foot), but I think he is clearly the best player on a team that should finish in the top half of the region.
13. Garrett Prante (sr) CC- He plays good defense, works harder than most and has been efficient offensively, although his offensive role has been a bit limited due to past returners. I think people will take notice and see just how nice of a player Garrett is this season.
14. Hunter Smith (jr) MV- Hunter is not just a good athlete, he is put together pretty well. Last year I felt he was a little up and down on the offensive end, but that was really seemed to be the case with his team as a whole (and he was just a sophomore). This summer I saw improvements in his game in both skill and physically.
15. Andrew Christianson (jr) OG- Shot well from 3 last season and was 0.2 points a game away from leading the Grover’s in scoring last year. Should improve quite a bit from sophomore season physically and mentally as a player.
Brant Bohmert (sr) NC, Marcus Jensen (jr) NC, Drew Asche (sr) MNS, Adam Sacry (sr) MNS, Devon Foster (sr) OG, Micah Christensen (so) Tri Co.

Good breakdown of talent.....

Who goes to State, barring any significant injuries?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby MTfan4life » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:49 am

d_fense wrote:5. (sr) Kindred- Brock is the best player on one of the not only best coached but best teams in the region.

Did Kindred get a new coach?
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:42 am

MTfan4life wrote:
d_fense wrote:5. (sr) Kindred- Brock is the best player on one of the not only best coached but best teams in the region.

Your post immediately made me think two things. One, you know very little about basketball and or basketball coaching. There is no question that the kindred coach is one of the top coaches in the region. Two, you either played for the coach or your little "Joey" did and didn't play much because you or he didn't deserve to. Which is it. Kindred consistently finishes the season better than most people think they will before the season starts.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ChickenWing » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:58 pm

d_fense wrote:Here is my list of top players in Region 1. I think it is a stronger group than last seasons. I have included 6 that just missed my top 15. I could make an argument that any of those 6 could be placed at 14 or 15 on my list. I would struggle making a case for any of them higher than that. Please take a look at my list and let me known where you think I am wrong. I'll let you know why I went a certain way, or you may change me mind. :)

****Edit**** I need to also add Cooper Lingen (sr) Richland into the "just missing my top 15 list.

Logan Nelson is the best player and point guard in the region in my opinion. Led his team to state, great shooter, good height, excellent cross over.
ChickenWing
NDPreps Reserve

Postby MTfan4life » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:17 am

d_fense wrote:
MTfan4life wrote:

Your post immediately made me think two things. One, you know very little about basketball and or basketball coaching. There is no question that the kindred coach is one of the top coaches in the region. Two, you either played for the coach or your little "Joey" did and didn't play much because you or he didn't deserve to. Which is it. Kindred consistently finishes the season better than most people think they will before the season starts.

Neither. I have seen Kindred play about a dozen times since I moved over to this state in 2010 and have only rarely been impressed with what he did during the game. You can think I'm just a whiny parent or former player, but I have no connection to Kindred and am merely posting an honest observation. A lot of people focus on the players, but I've spent an entire lifetime watching coaches. Kindred's had talent for years. That's what gets them in the top half of the region each season. (During CC's glory run a handful of seasons ago, I thought the same thing.) Maybe he's just not the type of coach that sticks out to me as a quality coach, or maybe he's just a much better player/team developer than game coach, I don't know. So, I'm just fine agreeing to disagree.

For predictions this season, Oak Grove will be up there with the crazy depth they have. You can't really match that depth with any other team, can you? The one question with the depth is will there be a consistent leader or is it going to continue to be a shared limelight. Northern Cass has got to be the early favorite. Kindred will be right up there as well. Hankinson has some talent, but I could see foul trouble being a monkey on their back most of the season. I don't know how sold I am on M/NS yet. Then Central Cass picked up a very good win over Ellendale, so you have to think they'll be back in the thick of things.
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby classB4ever » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:57 am

Good break down of talent in your post. A couple of questions. You have these 3 listed as best pg in state, maybe most college ready in state and best big in state. Is this for class b only? Are you predicting Mr. BB will come out of this group?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:30 pm

classB4ever wrote:

2. Logan Nelson (sr) NC- Superior shooter, great length for a guard (6’3” and still growing), and possesses skills that are very uncommon for a player over six foot tall. May have most college potential among all Class B players in the state, including Carr.http://www.northdakotapreps.com/faq.php?mode=bbcode

Good break down of talent in your post. A couple of questions. You have these 3 listed as best pg in state, maybe most college ready in state and best big in state. Is this for class b only? Are you predicting Mr. BB will come out of this group?

Thank you for the replyclassB4ever!
To try answer your questions and explain to the best of my ability. No, my opinions did not just cover Class B. No, I am not predicting that Mr. Basketball will come out of this group. I think Aanen Moody of Dickenson has it wrapped up barring a huge injury, training violation, or something along those lines. He has received a lot of publicity (rightfully so), and put up huge numbers, particularly last season. I don’t think he will put up as huge of numbers as he did last season. I think his team has improved to the point that he will not need to and will not have as many opportunities because teammates will carry some of that load.
Now to your questions on individuals.
Yes, I think Jake is the best pg in the state. I think the 2 best pg’s in class a are Johnson from Minot and Mertens from DL. I have watched Mertens and Jake play against each other and I thought Jake had a clear advantage. Johnson and Jake, to me are very similar. I don’t know if they have ever played against one another. I would guess they would be a good close match up.
You miss read or understood what I said about Logan. I didn’t say he was the most college ready. What I said is, he may have the most college potential. Potential being something that may not be there right now, but may be down the road. When I look at Logan, I see someone who is physically a few years away from maturing. I wouldn’t be shocked if he ends up getting to be in the 6’5”-6’6” range. How many college coaches would love to have someone with Logan’s skill set that stood 6’5” to 6’6”? Logan is a very good player now, and I think down the road, just maturing physically, could turn him into a beast.
I do think Cody is the best big guy in the state. Meidinger from Dickenson is probably the best known big, because he is the longest of the bigs. Cody is better than Meidinger. Lucas Mayer from Century is very talented athletically. He jumps better than Cody. I think Cody has better hands, touch, and is physically stronger and broader than Lucas. Lucas may be the best “comparable” player to Cody. The last Class A boy that feel is very good that I would compare Cody to is Jake Paper from Davies. Jake is a very good shooter for a big guy. Shoots better than Cody without question. Jake’s shooting is what IMO really killed Dickenson at the state tourney. I think Cody has advantages over Jake in strength, rebounding, and athleticism. I would take Cody over each of these 3 class A big men. If I am missing a top Class A big guy, I can’t think of one. Doesn’t mean there isn’t one.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Snoose84 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:12 pm

I see you all have mentioned the best players in the regiin. That's fine but it takes more than one player to field a good team! Northern Cass is at the top of this region as they're returnin 11 players I believe and they play with a lot of heart, as exemplified in the state tournament last yr. They already beat Hankinson to start the yr. oak grove will be good again along wits hankinson. some made a post thinking this region has 5 teams that should be top 20 in state but we know he lost his mind already! top 2 in the state ARE four winds and dude trinity! don't forget it. linton, north star, hillsboro, and shiloh have to be considered too.
Snoose84
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:34 am

My personal opinion on the best point guard in North Dakota. Hanson, Mertens, and Johnson are typically playing against someone who has no chance to guard them. We saw what this looks like last year with Moody, and we are already starting to see what this looks like in North Dakota this year with a plethora of basketball players. I am partial to Johnson as a long term prospect, as he is simply the most likely to be successful staying in front of high level athletes. Johnson and Sem are somewhat in a class of their own athletically in North Dakota's 2017 class.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby wem » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:37 am

Moody from Dickinson is a great offensive machine. He can absolutely shoot from anywhere and distance. I don't see his numbers dropping off and this is my reasoning:
I think he will want to prove to UND that they made a good choice by replicating his numbers from previous year.(For his own good and the good of his team I hope this doesn't come at the expense of the team)
I also know he can have a hard time accepting defeat.(I experienced this in person) Mistakes are OK, if it turns into a learning experience, which I'm sure it will. I'm sure the coaches and those close to him got it corrected right away.
Good Luck to Aaron as he goes forward. Always love to see ND boys do well!
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:50 pm

Jake Hanson with 38 last night in a win over Maple Valley.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:53 am

Snoose84 wrote:I see you all have mentioned the best players in the regiin. That's fine but it takes more than one player to field a good team! Northern Cass is at the top of this region as they're returnin 11 players I believe and they play with a lot of heart, as exemplified in the state tournament last yr. They already beat Hankinson to start the yr. oak grove will be good again along wits hankinson. some made a post thinking this region has 5 teams that should be top 20 in state but we know he lost his mind already! top 2 in the state ARE four winds and dude trinity! don't forget it. linton, north star, hillsboro, and shiloh have to be considered too.

I'm not sure what to make out of your post. Of coarse it takes more than one person to make a team. Just going over my top players, they all have plenty of help.
1. Jake Hanson- playing with a very nice group of complementary players. Team has 4 players averaging double figures and are 2-0 without their starting center who has been out due to illness. when center gets back will have a starting lineup consisting of 6'5", 6'3, 6'3", 6'3", and 6'.
2. Logan Nelson- You have talked them up and I completely agree. They are really good. Not what they were last year, but very good. I do think the loss of Cody Springer will hurt. Cody really sacrificed his game last year for the betterment of the team. Logan is definitely a top player, and has a lot of talent around him.
3. Cody Mauch- Doesn't have the help around him that Jake and Logan have, but Nick Mauch is also a top player. In the first game vs. Northern Cass, Nick can through with 32 points and did a number of very good things other than shoot.

Talking about who someone thinks are the best players in a region in no way says anything negative about the players they are playing with. It is tough to be a top player if you are not playing with talented players.

You mentioned that someone thought region 1 had 5 teams that could be in the top 20 in the state. You don't know much about region 1 if you don't think that is the case. He, siouxfan I believe did not and has not lost his mind. What makes you say that? You mentioned teams like Linton, North Star, Hillsboro/CV and Shiloh that need to be considered. Personally HCV is the only one of those 4 teams that I think could finish in the top 4 of region 1.

As far as Four Winds and Dickinson Trinity go. I have no problem with saying Four Winds should be #1, but I wouldn't put Trinity above Northern Cass. NC gave Four Winds their best game at state, falling by 4 points. Four Winds had and has great depth. But, if you are going to be honest, which team lost more talent off last years team? Four Winds or NC? I would say without a question Four Winds lost more that NC. Heck, they lost Mr. Basketball.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys