16-17 region 1

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 16-17 region 1

Postby wem » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:09 am

balla45 wrote:My personal opinion on the best point guard in North Dakota. Hanson, Mertens, and Johnson are typically playing against someone who has no chance to guard them. We saw what this looks like last year with Moody, and we are already starting to see what this looks like in North Dakota this year with a plethora of basketball players. I am partial to Johnson as a long term prospect, as he is simply the most likely to be successful staying in front of high level athletes. Johnson and Sem are somewhat in a class of their own athletically in North Dakota's 2017 class.

Balla, nobody qualifies if they don't meet the standards of your beloved ECI teams. ECI is all about individuals trying to make the next level. No team play whatsoever. I've watched it time after time. I have no kids involved, but if I did, ECI wouldn't be an option. I'm all about the team concept.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:04 am

wem wrote:
balla45 wrote:My personal opinion on the best point guard in North Dakota. Hanson, Mertens, and Johnson are typically playing against someone who has no chance to guard them. We saw what this looks like last year with Moody, and we are already starting to see what this looks like in North Dakota this year with a plethora of basketball players. I am partial to Johnson as a long term prospect, as he is simply the most likely to be successful staying in front of high level athletes. Johnson and Sem are somewhat in a class of their own athletically in North Dakota's 2017 class.

Balla, nobody qualifies if they don't meet the standards of your beloved ECI teams. ECI is all about individuals trying to make the next level. No team play whatsoever. I've watched it time after time. I have no kids involved, but if I did, ECI wouldn't be an option. I'm all about the team concept.

This past summer was the first time our son participated in ECI/AAU. Leading up to this summer, we felt that it was more important for him to play with his high school team in summer events whether it was basketball or baseball. However, coming from a small community, especially during the summer, getting all the local players together is very difficult. He also wanted an opportunity to play against high level talent from different parts of the US. We struggled with whether or not this was individual or team basketball. I can tell you this, each player can decide and play the type of basketball they want. We made it known to him early to work on the team aspect of it. With his baseball, he could not participate in all the events and Jordan was very good about this. Having watched numerous games this summer, I can promise you that Jordan coached his players as a team and not as individuals. It was a great experience for our family and glad we decided to let him experience it going into his senior year.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:46 am

Jordan does a great job as being an advocate for players in North Dakota. I'm sure he would be the first one to tell you that there are very good players in our state that don't play ECI or AAU, but as anyone who coaches, he will advocate for the kids he works with. That makes sense in my opinion.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:43 pm

wem wrote:

WEM,
From reading your post, I really question how much you know about "Balla", or Jordan (I'll only use his name because he is up front about who he is and puts his name on all of his posts).
1st- ECI has nothing to do with Jordan.
2nd- I think what you are referring to is AAU, not ECI. AAU is the Armature Athletic Union. Think of them as a big umbrella that has many sports under it. Basketball is just one.
3rd- Jordan runs a basketball organization that plays AAU ball. His organization is North Dakota Phenom. There are other AAU teams/organizations in ND, including ECI.
4th- Jordan promotes all North Dakota athletes that he knows about. He does his best to know as much as possible about North Dakota players, regardless of who they play for. Obviously he knows more about players in his organization because of the time he spends around them, but I have never heard of him talking down someone who doesn't play for his Phenom teams.
5th- I question how much AAU ball you watch, unless you are driving long distances to watch other peoples children. As far as I know, on the boys side, their is only one AAU tournament each year in North Dakota.
6th- Can you please explain to me what you mean by "team concept"? What is the goal of a team?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:14 pm

wem wrote:

This is fairly amusing. I am involved with ECI in absolutely no way. It just happens to be reality that in the 2017 class, the upper level point guards all played club basketball. We had some very talented 2017s that did not play club basketball when you look at Brown, Erickson, Mauch, McKay, Red Fox, Schwabe, and I could expand on it a bit, but in this particular class, almost every upper level 2017 player was playing club basketball in some capacity. We do not see this happening with the 2019 class however.

It is fine to despise the concept of club basketball, but it is simple reality that it is much easier for college basketball coaches to recruit in the spring and summer as compared to recruiting when their season is also in full swing.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:25 pm

wem wrote:Moody from Dickinson is a great offensive machine. He can absolutely shoot from anywhere and distance. I don't see his numbers dropping off and this is my reasoning:
I think he will want to prove to UND that they made a good choice by replicating his numbers from previous year.(For his own good and the good of his team I hope this doesn't come at the expense of the team)
I also know he can have a hard time accepting defeat.(I experienced this in person) Mistakes are OK, if it turns into a learning experience, which I'm sure it will. I'm sure the coaches and those close to him got it corrected right away.
Good Luck to Aaron as he goes forward. Always love to see ND boys do well!

I am also entertained that you post about how you would never let a player play AAU basketball after you posted about Aanen Moody being an "offensive machine" when Aanen Moody has been playing for me every spring and summer starting in 2012. I am not going to look up your IP Address, as after reading this post, I have quite a good idea of what group of people you are affiliated with.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby wem » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Ok, I got my organizations mixed up, but always willing to admit when I make a mistake. The way it sounds I was not talking about ECI, but ND Phenom. Jezz guys, settledown. Obviously you guys are about club basketball. Your opinion vs mine!
Here are my rebuttals.
1. De fense, I never said balla was talking down anybody. I basically said his opinion is based upon only club sports. (Maybe you should read the post better.
2. Balla, you make your comments sound like you think your totally responsible for Moody being an offensive machine.(Give me a break) He would have been just fine without ya.
3. Balla, Im not associated with any group. Im a fan that watches tons of basketball, and call it as I see it.

I have no idea who Balla or Jordon are. I'm sure they are very fine people who are good coaches. Ive probably watched them coach, but don't know.
Balla, sorry if I came acrossed in the wrong way, but I guess we will have to agree to disagree about club basketball.
Balla, sounds like you have a lot of support for what you do for club basketball, so keep up the good work. We just have different opinions. Truce Man. Would love to meet you someday and bs about basketball.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Quite aware that Aanen would have been just fine without me, seeing as I essentially built up my program due to him existing.

I do not form all of my opinions on club basketball, by the way. Combining live and film, I have watched over 50 games this season.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:54 am

wem wrote:1. De fense, I never said balla was talking down anybody. I basically said his opinion is based upon only club sports. (Maybe you should read the post better.

Not trying to pick a fight, but I did read your post. My response was in regards to what I believe is a fact. That is, Jordan doesn't only "talk up" players involved in AAU. He seems pretty knowledgeable about players that do not participate in AAU also. By the same token, he doesn't talk down good players who choose to do other thing with their time outside the basketball season. Which is in opposition to what you clarified in your statement above.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby wem » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:27 pm

De fense, to repeat one more time, I never said they talk down non-club kids. I feel they base there stronger opinions on the kids that are in there clubs, which is human nature. They are with these kids everyday in the offseason which makes them very close with the players they work with. What about this don't you understand? In the past you always have given good comments; so read and reread and read again. Your missing something here. Or maybe you, balla, and Jordon know each other very, very, well and you feel the need to come to there de_fense. So ya, you ve picked a fight!
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:35 am

Hey guys...create a new topic if you want to continue to talk AAU...this topic is about Region 1 BBB.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby balla45 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:03 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Hey guys...create a new topic if you want to continue to talk AAU...this topic is about Region 1 BBB.

Not really talking about AAU. I am responding to a person's allegation that I am biased towards players that are in my club.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:07 pm

wem wrote:De fense, to repeat one more time, I never said they talk down non-club kids. I feel they base there stronger opinions on the kids that are in there clubs, which is human nature. They are with these kids everyday in the offseason which makes them very close with the players they work with. What about this don't you understand? In the past you always have given good comments; so read and reread and read again. Your missing something here. Or maybe you, balla, and Jordon know each other very, very, well and you feel the need to come to there de_fense. So ya, you ve picked a fight!

You would have a great argument if the only players who I have been talking about in this thread played for me. Jacob Hanson does not play in my club. Jacob Mertens does not play in my club. Siman Sem does not play in my club. I spend zero time around these athletes in the offseason. If you feel that I am being unrealistic about Kyjuan Johnson's ability or Aanen Moody's ability, that is fine. I am being very realistic, but as they do play for me, you can say that I am biased. I have zero reason to be unrealistic about the abilities of athletes that do not play for me.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby wem » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:38 am

You are so right Run. I'm done with this topic. Also, thanks for all the time you put into this forum. You keep me informed on many topics, which I think many others could say the same.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:06 pm

That is disappointing. I was looking forward to having you explain to me how I am biased towards players that play for my competitor.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Boys