2015-16 State Tournament

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who Wins the 2016 State Class B BBB Tournament?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:23 pm

Four Winds-Minnewaukan
62%
Shiloh Christian
13%
Our Redeemer's
13%
Dickinson Trinity
4%
Strasburg/Zeeland
2%
Northern Cass
2%
Kenmare
4%
Grafton
No votes

Total votes : 47

Re: 2015-16 State Tournament

Postby Howie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:39 am

Thank you for your opinion. I ask you another question, if a player or players had made the choice not to join the circle at center court would they have been looked at differently then those who participated? My thought would be yes they would be view differently, which is exactly why I'm bringing this up. If you have no problem with any display of ANY religion in the public setting then praise the prayer all you want. Just because people pray in different ways doesn't mean their ways are wrong, but to pick and choose which displays you would be ok with is wrong.
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:48 am

No one is picking and choosing. Good God, OR wanted to pray and extended the invite. The invite was accepted. If they wouldn't have accepted, I would have thought no more of it than it was an OR thing and the other team let it be an OR thing, as OR is a private school.

There was absolutely no problem here, and if you're heck bent on finding one, all you're doing is seeing perceived inequality where it doesn't exist. It was not sanctioned, it was not sponsored, it was open, it was voluntary. No one looked bad for not participating. As I remember it, Coach Smith didn't participate. I don't recall seeing him in the circle, but my thought of him was, "Wow, he allowed the opposing coach to address his team in that moment. First class."

There is so much class in this, so much sportsmanship, and still so much freedom that I can't think of anything to pick apart. Because of what you're doing here, it will never happen again. If you want true tolerance, then learn to tolerate Christians. We're told we have to tolerate everyone else.

Let me throw a "scenario" at you: How about an Islamic school participates, asks to pray at the end, and is denied the opportunity by a blanket policy put in place after this year? CAIR decides to file a lawsuit on behalf of the school. Who wins?

Now, Christian school files the same suit. Who wins?
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Howie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:57 am

The Islamic school would win because NDHSAA set a precedent this year by allowing it to happen 3 straight days (if they'd have stopped it after day 1, which they could have, then they wouldn't win). I'm guessing you mean the Christian school files the suit in response to the blanket policy being adopted. If that's the case the NDHSAA would win.
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:59 am

Well, at least you admit the Islamic school has more rights than a Christian school.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Howie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:01 am

I don't personally believe that's the right thing to do, but I feel that would happen.
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby Kwoods » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:56 am

heimer wrote:Two answers:

1. I would have no problem with their honor song. That would be more public, and would force the crowd to "participate" much the same way Central Cass shut down prayer at Shanley. I can see the argument, but I stress that I don't agree with the argument. If they wanted an honor song, fine with me.

2. Understand that, after this, the NDHSAA will also take Minot OR's religious rights just like they took Shanley's. This will be the last time we see this at state.

How would the honor song be more public and force the crowd to participate. The crowd sat and watched the prayer while they waited for the awards there wasn't a problem with that. Why couldn't the ceremony also waited on a song to be played?
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:32 pm

The song wouldn't have forced anyone to participate, but someone would have made that argument to complain about it.

Sorry, sometimes I jump ahead to next week's newspaper article.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Kwoods » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:34 pm

heimer wrote:The song wouldn't have forced anyone to participate, but someone would have made that argument to complain about it.

I get it. Thank

Another thing I'm waiting to see in the paper as a letter to the editor is why was there only security standing on the steps in the FW student section starting semi final night and not with the other two teams?
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:50 pm

Kwoods wrote:
heimer wrote:The song wouldn't have forced anyone to participate, but someone would have made that argument to complain about it.

I get it. Thank

Another thing I'm waiting to see in the paper as a letter to the editor is why was there only security standing on the steps in the FW student section starting semi final night and not with the other two teams?

Kwoods-- The reason there was security on the 4winds sides was to keep the stairway open, it wasn't needed on the other side bc 4winds had great fan support.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Gunning4ya » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:55 pm

packers21 wrote:
Kwoods wrote:

I get it. Thank

Kwoods-- The reason there was security on the 4winds sides was to keep the stairway open, it wasn't needed on the other side bc 4winds had great fan support.

There was security at each entrace, all four corners. That security gaurd just choose to stand on the steps.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby MHSFan50 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:01 pm

I was at both the 3rd/4th place game and the Championship game. There was security on both ends of the court for each game. It wasn't only set up on the FWM side of the house.
MHSFan50
NDPreps Reserve

Postby leroybla » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:01 pm

I may be the only one who noticed, but on Thursday nite, before the NC-FW game, when the national anthem was played, I noticed that the FW team did not put their hand over their hearts as directed by the announcer. NC players did. Is this a thing?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thefourwinds » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:32 pm

Kwoods wrote:
thefourwinds wrote:
Howie wrote:
NotTheCoach wrote:
Howie wrote:In the first semi final game, how many of the starters have been a part of their respective schools for their whole school career? My guess, 3.

For ORCS
I don't mind the question, but there is a lot of negativity in your guess.
All the ORCS starters have played their whole basketball career together.
The four seniors started organized ball together in 4th grade. Steede's family moved to Minot from MN before his freshman year.

So they have been in the ORCS school system their whole careers? I had heard that 4 of them used to go to Minot public schools. If they haven't then my guess would be way off

Howie, there are only 3 of the varsity players that came to ORCS from the Minot Public system as 9th graders, three current sophomores (Abel, Mau, Wetzel).

Of the four seniors that have started every game this season, all of them have played on the Knights' teams since they were in elementary school. Van Lith, Reiten, and Talley started playing together on the Knights' teams in 3rd grade. Demme joined them when he picked up the game in 5th grade. Demme and Talley are homeschooled, but have never played on any other school's team but the Knights since elementary school.

Steede's father moved from MN to Minot for work before his 9th-grade season. Steede has played for the Knights ever since, except that he red-shirted a year due to health issues.

Of the other players, Leyton Lang, also a sophomore, has played on the Knights his entire school career, as have Taylor Strand and Brett Nunziato (both juniors).

So your insinuation, at least regarding ORCS, is nearly baseless.

How can you red shirt in high school?
If Demme and Talley are home schooled why did they choose OR to play basketball at?

RE: redshirting, that may not be the most appropriate term, because it probably doesn't work the way it works in college, but since he had a season he couldn't play at all due to health issues, I believe he may have the opportunity to apply before next season to play one more year, as long as he has not reached a certain age. I don't know all the rules, and I don't even know if he will apply for that last year.

Re: Demme and Talley, I have written about it somewhat before. Talley and Demme both have been involved in the Knights' teams since elementary school (at the rec league level, then at the Jr. High level) before high school ball. They both come from families that care a great deal about education from a Christian perspective. Talley's father actually coached a few of their elementary-age Knights teams, as early as 3rd grade I believe. The Talleys knew Demme, and they invited him to play on the team starting in 5th grade, because they knew he was a kid who could use an opportunity like that at the time. Demme knew next to nothing about the game of basketball in 5th grade, by which time most kids have already been attending skills camps for years.

By 8th grade, both boys had gotten a little bit of varsity time on the ORCS team, Talley more than Demme, and ORCS's team was still not good, though improving. It was natural for both players to want to continue playing with the friends they had already played together with for the previous 4-6 years.

I know for a fact that Talley was offered a spot at Ryan to play HS ball, but the Talleys declined, most likely for the reasons I have outlined above.

As an extra little fun fact, the five seniors from this year's ORCS team (VanLith, Reiten, Talley, Demme, and Brock Borud) were all part of that 5th-grade rec league team that went undefeated and won that rec league championship. It was obvious at the time that it was a special group, and Demme's improvements over the years just added to the already strong group that it was from early on.
thefourwinds
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bsoldiergirl » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:56 pm

leroybla wrote:I may be the only one who noticed, but on Thursday nite, before the NC-FW game, when the national anthem was played, I noticed that the FW team did not put their hand over their hearts as directed by the announcer. NC players did. Is this a thing?

I have been to many games this year and have witnessed the same thing. Unfortunately, many players and fans feel it not necessary to place their hand over their heart, including my son. When he asked why he had to, I told him that people have sacrificed so much, including their lives, for your freedom to stand on the basketball court and play ball. We teach our children the importance of sportsmanship ...Maybe we need to remind them to respect their country as much as they respect the game of basketball :!: ......Conderned & Proud Veteren
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby scout_101 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:31 pm

Im sure you been to a lot of different games where players didn't have their hand over there hearts? But why bring down fw/m. What next? The chewing gum different then NC?!
scout_101
NDPreps Starter

Postby bsoldiergirl » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:01 am

scout_101 wrote:I'm sure you been to a lot of different games where players didn't have their hand over there hearts? But why bring down fw/m. What next? The chewing gum different then NC?!

I didn't say I was singling out FWM, I said players and fans in general. What part of my response led you to believe I singled out FWM ?
Last edited by bsoldiergirl on Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby Kwoods » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:39 am

I wasn't putting down FW either with the comment about the security. I found it interesting that last your reservation school was the only school that had security in our cheering section standing on the steps and we didn't fill up the entire section like the large crowd FW had.
I saw security on both sides just found it weird that security was standing in the section of FW each night. It just looks bad that it happened to 2 reservations schools the last two years at the MSU dome.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby Kwoods » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:43 am

thefourwinds wrote:
Kwoods wrote:
thefourwinds wrote:
Howie wrote:
NotTheCoach wrote:
Howie wrote:In the first semi final game, how many of the starters have been a part of their respective schools for their whole school career? My guess, 3.

For ORCS
I don't mind the question, but there is a lot of negativity in your guess.
All the ORCS starters have played their whole basketball career together.
The four seniors started organized ball together in 4th grade. Steede's family moved to Minot from MN before his freshman year.

So they have been in the ORCS school system their whole careers? I had heard that 4 of them used to go to Minot public schools. If they haven't then my guess would be way off

Howie, there are only 3 of the varsity players that came to ORCS from the Minot Public system as 9th graders, three current sophomores (Abel, Mau, Wetzel).

Of the four seniors that have started every game this season, all of them have played on the Knights' teams since they were in elementary school. Van Lith, Reiten, and Talley started playing together on the Knights' teams in 3rd grade. Demme joined them when he picked up the game in 5th grade. Demme and Talley are homeschooled, but have never played on any other school's team but the Knights since elementary school.

Steede's father moved from MN to Minot for work before his 9th-grade season. Steede has played for the Knights ever since, except that he red-shirted a year due to health issues.

Of the other players, Leyton Lang, also a sophomore, has played on the Knights his entire school career, as have Taylor Strand and Brett Nunziato (both juniors).

So your insinuation, at least regarding ORCS, is nearly baseless.

How can you red shirt in high school?
If Demme and Talley are home schooled why did they choose OR to play basketball at?

RE: redshirting, that may not be the most appropriate term, because it probably doesn't work the way it works in college, but since he had a season he couldn't play at all due to health issues, I believe he may have the opportunity to apply before next season to play one more year, as long as he has not reached a certain age. I don't know all the rules, and I don't even know if he will apply for that last year.

Re: Demme and Talley, I have written about it somewhat before. Talley and Demme both have been involved in the Knights' teams since elementary school (at the rec league level, then at the Jr. High level) before high school ball. They both come from families that care a great deal about education from a Christian perspective. Talley's father actually coached a few of their elementary-age Knights teams, as early as 3rd grade I believe. The Talleys knew Demme, and they invited him to play on the team starting in 5th grade, because they knew he was a kid who could use an opportunity like that at the time. Demme knew next to nothing about the game of basketball in 5th grade, by which time most kids have already been attending skills camps for years.

By 8th grade, both boys had gotten a little bit of varsity time on the ORCS team, Talley more than Demme, and ORCS's team was still not good, though improving. It was natural for both players to want to continue playing with the friends they had already played together with for the previous 4-6 years.

I know for a fact that Talley was offered a spot at Ryan to play HS ball, but the Talleys declined, most likely for the reasons I have outlined above.

As an extra little fun fact, the five seniors from this year's ORCS team (VanLith, Reiten, Talley, Demme, and Brock Borud) were all part of that 5th-grade rec league team that went undefeated and won that rec league championship. It was obvious at the time that it was a special group, and Demme's improvements over the years just added to the already strong group that it was from early on.

If he was offered a spot at Ryan that should be reported it is illegal to recruit. That just shows that when people complain about SOME (I used the word some) of these schools recruit that just proves it right there.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:56 am

Kwoods wrote:If he was offered a spot at Ryan that should be reported it is illegal to recruit. That just shows that when people complain about SOME (I used the word some) of these schools recruit that just proves it right there.

a post on a message board proves nothing.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Kwoods » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:48 am

Flip wrote:
Kwoods wrote:If he was offered a spot at Ryan that should be reported it is illegal to recruit. That just shows that when people complain about SOME (I used the word some) of these schools recruit that just proves it right there.

a post on a message board proves nothing.

Obviously I know that I am saying when these athletes get these offers them and their parents should report them.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:17 pm

I prop could find this somewhere but where is the Class B Nd State Tournament next March (2017)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:35 pm

winner-within wrote:I prop could find this somewhere but where is the Class B Nd State Tournament next March (2017)

Looks like Bismarck for 2017 & Minot for 2018

http://www.ndhsaa.com/calendar/tourname ... s/approved
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:37 pm

Anyone know the dates for next March?
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:43 pm

EHS1998 wrote:Anyone know the dates for next March?

I would expect roughly the same time frame of this year...if I see a date I'll post it above
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:48 pm

That is what I was thinking. Thanks Run!
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys