2015-16 State Tournament

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who Wins the 2016 State Class B BBB Tournament?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:23 pm

Four Winds-Minnewaukan
62%
Shiloh Christian
13%
Our Redeemer's
13%
Dickinson Trinity
4%
Strasburg/Zeeland
2%
Northern Cass
2%
Kenmare
4%
Grafton
No votes

Total votes : 47

Re: 2015-16 State Tournament

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:48 am

Think you might be mistaken about the attendance. When I was at the 1998 championship between Leeds and Standing Rock it was announced that they had broken the attendance record for a game with over 11,000 something. Believe that the previous record was in 91, though. Maybe the 20,000 was total tournament attendance?

I was also at the KU/UND game at the Ralph in the early 2000s. It was announced there that that game broke the overall attendance record for a basketball game in ND with just over 12,000.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:52 am

I was in attendance at both the 91 championship game with Watford vs. Munich and the Leeds - Standing Rock championship.
I thought the 91 championship game was the largest attendance at 11,800. There was not an empty seat - and all around the circular areas of the dome - people were standing as well.
Leeds/Standing Rock was extremely well attended too - but I thought the 91 championship was the most that was ever packed in the dome. I could be wrong however - does anyone have any actual data on this?
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:58 am

Would be nice to see some attendance data through the years. See how the tournament was attended in each decade to compare. Was nice to see a good crowd last night, though. After watching the girls and the super A, I was starting to wonder if anyone in ND watched HS bball anymore.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:39 pm

I would agree that attendance is down, but not as much as it might look like. The problem is how few people come early or stay late to watch other games than their own. Paid attendance is still probably pretty good. The problem is the exodus to the doors as soon as a fan's team is done playing.

There just aren't as many hardcore fans that will watch all 12 games of the tournament. It seems like the general mode of operation now is watch your team play and then head to the stores, the restaurants, the watering holes, and the hotel pool.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:41 pm

2nd Round

G5: Strasburg/Zeeland (20-5) vs. Grafton (17-9)
G6: Northern Cass (18-6) vs. Kenmare (21-4)
G7: #2 Shiloh Christian (23-2) vs. #3 Our Redeemer's (25-1)
G8: #1 Four Winds-Minnewaukan (24-1) vs. #4 Dickinson Trinity (21-4)
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Makotifarmguy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:48 pm

I think you guys are correct. I was probably thinking of the overall attendance or maybe it was the Garth Brooks concert I took my wife to back in 1998.

Well, this is what happens when you get old. If anyone can delay that part of life, let me know. Heck, now I am starting to wonder if I remembered to feed the cows today. :?

Thanks for the correction and I apologize for the lapse in memory.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sticks11 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:59 pm

I thought I remembered hearing from different sources that last year's championship game between FW/M and Rugby broke the State B record for attendance. I could be wrong though. Maybe that was just for State B in the Bismarck Event Center? Anyone know?
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:48 pm

EHS1998 wrote:I actually thought the refereeing throughout day 1 was unremarkable, exactly the way it should be.

I agree!!!
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:48 pm

When did the state B start being held in the larger venues such as the MSU dome and Bismarck civic? How much did the Fargo civic and the Jamestown civic hold? I was at the state B in Fargo in 1987 at the civic. Place was packed, but I know it held no where near Minot or Bismarck.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:51 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:When did the state B start being held in the larger venues such as the MSU dome and Bismarck civic? How much did the Fargo civic and the Jamestown civic hold? I was at the state B in Fargo in 1987 at the civic. Place was packed, but I know it held no where near Minot or Bismarck.

Wasn't it at the NDSU Fieldhouse in 1987?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nolan4 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 pm

winner-within wrote:Day 1

Grafton made an Impression against a tough team SC (not sure if they are 2end in State)
thought the reffing swayed to SC a bit...although not a total game changer....the hole Grafton dug hurt them..

SNZ vs OR this one was a little helter skelter...I really was intrigued by the last names of both teams
remined me of playing the Winnipeg alliance :)
a lot of muscle and IMO SNZ was the better team they just had ball management issues when protecting the lead...

I was impressed with NC and coming from what I would say was one of the toughest regions this year in the state had them prepared for any of the other 7 in the field.....FW has the fastest hands I"ve seen...could have had even more steals had the ball bounced the right way on a few plays....they're pesty....Tronis was the diff in this game (although L. Nelson was had they won)... I questioned the stack play underneath at the end...you almost know its going up top and three irons nailed it...the 2 carrying the ball calls on Tronis were bogus....I saw that move by many all day long with no whistle..and the second one was at a crucial time....not as crucial as the one called in the epic Epping vs Hillsboro back when, but it reminded me of that one....

D trin has a team, Shawn S. was player of the day...10 for 10?? com'on man 23 pts 15 rebounds and a double double at half time
FWM lost in Dec to these guys I take it....this will be a battle but DT is favored in Vegas for sure I would say by 5.... :) ...FW can win...but it takes their best Offence (which will be their best D) to do it...

play on!

Actually he carries the ball worse than anyone I have seen, I was surprised they didnt get him a couple more times, I wonder if he has big hands , it almost looks like he can palm the ball, and if he can that is why it looks worse than it may actually be.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:54 pm

classB4ever wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:When did the state B start being held in the larger venues such as the MSU dome and Bismarck civic? How much did the Fargo civic and the Jamestown civic hold? I was at the state B in Fargo in 1987 at the civic. Place was packed, but I know it held no where near Minot or Bismarck.

Maybe, guess I could be wrong. Been a long time and I was really young.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:57 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
classB4ever wrote:

Maybe, guess I could be wrong. Been a long time and I was really young.

I am thinking the Fargo Civic only holds about 2000 people and that would be pretty packed.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:09 pm

nolan4 wrote:

Grafton made an Impression against a tough team SC (not sure if they are 2end in State)
thought the reffing swayed to SC a bit...although not a total game changer....the hole Grafton dug hurt them..

SNZ vs OR this one was a little helter skelter...I really was intrigued by the last names of both teams
a lot of muscle and IMO SNZ was the better team they just had ball management issues when protecting the lead...

I was impressed with NC and coming from what I would say was one of the toughest regions this year in the state had them prepared for any of the other 7 in the field.....FW has the fastest hands I"ve seen...could have had even more steals had the ball bounced the right way on a few plays....they're pesty....Tronis was the diff in this game (although L. Nelson was had they won)... I questioned the stack play underneath at the end...you almost know its going up top and three irons nailed it...the 2 carrying the ball calls on Tronis were bogus....I saw that move by many all day long with no whistle..and the second one was at a crucial time....not as crucial as the one called in the epic Epping vs Hillsboro back when, but it reminded me of that one....

D trin has a team, Shawn S. was player of the day...10 for 10?? com'on man 23 pts 15 rebounds and a double double at half time
FWM lost in Dec to these guys I take it....this will be a battle but DT is favored in Vegas for sure I would say by 5.... :) ...FW can win...but it takes their best Offence (which will be their best D) to do it...

play on!

Actually he carries the ball worse than anyone I have seen, I was surprised they didnt get him a couple more times, I wonder if he has big hands , it almost looks like he can palm the ball, and if he can that is why it looks worse than it may actually be.

I dont think his hands are big my no means...I'm sure he has long fingers....but rolling the palm to the back of the ball to accomplish a cross over or spin move etc etc isn't caring the ball unless you take 2 steps before it hits the ground again and hes not doing that....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Howie » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:45 pm

In the first semi final game, how many of the starters have been a part of their respective schools for their whole school career? My guess, 3.
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sniper » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:11 pm

Howie wrote:In the first semi final game, how many of the starters have been a part of their respective schools for their whole school career? My guess, 3.

For Shiloh:
Coulter- Was at Mandan, then was at Shiloh for 2-4 years (not sure the exact amount), then went to a school in Arkansas last year.
Walter- Bismarck High School until last year.
Ogbu- Came to Shiloh last year from Nigeria. Oddly he was listed as a Sophomore last year and this year. Maybe he redshirted? Not sure what the reason behind that is.
Martin- Been at Shiloh from at least 7-12, not sure where he went to Elementary school, could of been Shiloh.
Pfaff- Same as Martin I think, not really sure where he went to elementary school either.

Also I am not bashing these players or Shiloh, just simply stating facts. Feel free to correct me if I have any of these wrong.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby NotTheCoach » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:29 pm

Howie wrote:In the first semi final game, how many of the starters have been a part of their respective schools for their whole school career? My guess, 3.

For ORCS
I don't mind the question, but there is a lot of negativity in your guess.
All the ORCS starters have played their whole basketball career together.
The four seniors started organized ball together in 4th grade. Steede's family moved to Minot from MN before his freshman year.
NotTheCoach
NDPreps Reserve

Postby taveg » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:51 pm

winner-within wrote:
nolan4 wrote:

play on!

I dont think his hands are big my no means...I'm sure he has long fingers....but rolling the palm to the back of the ball to accomplish a cross over or spin move etc etc isn't caring the ball unless you take 2 steps before it hits the ground again and hes not doing that....

Actually that is a carrying call. What makes you think 2 steps need to be taken for it to be a carry?
In fact it states right in the rule book on page 31 "The dribble ends when the dribbler palms/carries the ball by allowing it to come to rest in one or both hands."
taveg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Howie » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:02 pm

NotTheCoach wrote:

For ORCS
The four seniors started organized ball together in 4th grade. Steede's family moved to Minot from MN before his freshman year.

So they have been in the ORCS school system their whole careers? I had heard that 4 of them used to go to Minot public schools. If they haven't then my guess would be way off
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:14 pm

Howie wrote:
NotTheCoach wrote:

For ORCS

So they have been in the ORCS school system their whole careers? I had heard that 4 of them used to go to Minot public schools. If they haven't then my guess would be way off

You might be thinking of their Soph class, 3 or 4 of their sophomores played thru 8th grade a Minot Jr High..........Wetzel, Mau,Abel.....Lang I think was always at ORCS, but not sure.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:16 pm

Fun night at the State 'B' , I thought a really good crowd, I dont think the B is dead , as was seemingly being referred when there were so many big B and parochial schools in it. Four Winds was fun to watch tonight.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby thefourwinds » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:23 pm

Howie wrote:
NotTheCoach wrote:

For ORCS

Howie, there are only 3 of the varsity players that came to ORCS from the Minot Public system as 9th graders, three current sophomores (Abel, Mau, Wetzel).

Of the four seniors that have started every game this season, all of them have played on the Knights' teams since they were in elementary school. Van Lith, Reiten, and Talley started playing together on the Knights' teams in 3rd grade. Demme joined them when he picked up the game in 5th grade. Demme and Talley are homeschooled, but have never played on any other school's team but the Knights since elementary school.

Steede's father moved from MN to Minot for work before his 9th-grade season. Steede has played for the Knights ever since, except that he red-shirted a year due to health issues.

Of the other players, Leyton Lang, also a sophomore, has played on the Knights his entire school career, as have Taylor Strand and Brett Nunziato (both juniors).

So your insinuation, at least regarding ORCS, is nearly baseless.
thefourwinds
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:50 pm

Lots of great players on FWM. Tronis is obviously a special player but the one I am really impressed with is Three Irons. He just makes play after play. Hustles, does the dirty work and seems to have a very high BB IQ.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby thefourwinds » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:25 am

Agreed, EHS1998. If I had to choose one player to pick from FW/M, it would be Three Irons.
thefourwinds
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bisonation6 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:43 am

Anyone know if Strasburg-Zeeland coach Brent Kleinsasser is related to Jim Kleinsasser?
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys