2015-16 State Tournament

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who Wins the 2016 State Class B BBB Tournament?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:23 pm

Four Winds-Minnewaukan
62%
Shiloh Christian
13%
Our Redeemer's
13%
Dickinson Trinity
4%
Strasburg/Zeeland
2%
Northern Cass
2%
Kenmare
4%
Grafton
No votes

Total votes : 47

Re: 2015-16 State Tournament

Postby classB4ever » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:02 pm

First Round Predictions:

G1: #2 Shiloh Christian (22-2) vs. Grafton (17-8)
Grafton will need a defensive battle to win this game. Shiloh has bigs to control Droog in the middle and plays good perimeter d. Shiloh.

G2: #3 Our Redeemer's (24-1) vs. Strasburg/Zeeland (20-4)
This is a tricky one. SZ has 4 losses, I believe 3 to South Dakota teams. Hard to figure out SOS. OR needs to control their main man and the paint. I think they will get it done. Our Redeemers. (However, think this game has the best chance for an upset if any game at this point is even considered one.)

G3: #1 Four Winds-Minnewaukan (23-1) vs. Northern Cass (18-5)
FW-M can play good D with their depth and run and score with anyone. On average, NC gives up the most points in the tourney and is going up against the highest scoring team in the tourney. FW-M.

G4: #4 Dickinson Trinity (20-4) vs. Kenmare (21-3)
Kenmare is 2nd highest scoring team in tourney, but going up against the best defensive team, statistically. DT has too much experience in the big games. DT.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:15 pm

classB4ever wrote:First Round Predictions:

G1: #2 Shiloh Christian (22-2) vs. Grafton (17-8)
Grafton will need a defensive battle to win this game. Shiloh has bigs to control Droog in the middle and plays good perimeter d. Shiloh.

G2: #3 Our Redeemer's (24-1) vs. Strasburg/Zeeland (20-4)
This is a tricky one. SZ has 4 losses, I believe 3 to South Dakota teams. Hard to figure out SOS. OR needs to control their main man and the paint. I think they will get it done. Our Redeemers. (However, think this game has the best chance for an upset if any game at this point is even considered one.)

G3: #1 Four Winds-Minnewaukan (23-1) vs. Northern Cass (18-5)
FW-M can play good D with their depth and run and score with anyone. On average, NC gives up the most points in the tourney and is going up against the highest scoring team in the tourney. FW-M.

Kenmare is 2nd highest scoring team in tourney, but going up against the best defensive team, statistically. DT has too much experience in the big games. DT.

You nailed exactly what I was thinking for the first round games. The only real upset I can see is S/Z and I picked them because there is almost always a day 1 upset.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:20 pm

Strasburg-Zeeland lost to two South Dakota teams. They lost to Potter County, which went to the Region final, and to Hereid-Selby, who Potter County beat twice, including the championship of the district tournament. (Only one team advances from the district in SD). SZ also lost to the Bismarck Century J.V. and Edgily-Kulm/Montpelier, who they beat in the Region 3 final.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jimthometwins » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:20 pm

Champs-FWM
2nd- Shiloh
3rd- ORHS
4th - DT
5th- Northern Cass
6th- SZ
7th- Grafton
8th- Kenmare
jimthometwins
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sticks11 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:53 pm

G1: #2 Shiloh (22-2) vs. Grafton (17-8)
G2: #3 ORCS (24-1) vs. Strasburg/Zeeland (20-4)
G3: #1 Four Winds/Minnewaukan (23-1) vs. Northern Cass (18-5)

G5: Grafton vs. Strasburg/Zeeland
G6: Northern Cass vs. Kenmare
G7: Shiloh vs. ORCS
G8: Four Winds/Minnewaukan vs. Dickinson Trinity

G9: Grafton vs. Northern Cass
G10: Strasburg/Zeeland vs. Kenmare
G11: ORCS vs. Dickinson Trinity
Championship: FW/M vs. Shiloh

1. Four Winds / Minnewaukan - I think they're going to play well on both ends to claim the title.
2. Shiloh Christian
3. Dickinson Trinity
4. Our Redeemer's
5. Kenmare
6. Strasburg / Zeeland
7. Northern Cass
8. Grafton

I didn't put scores down, but think we're going to see some games down to the wire the first night. Good luck to all the teams and hopefully everyone has a great State B!
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby YMCMB » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:29 pm

1st- Shiloh Christian
2nd- Four Winds
3rd- Dickinson Trinity
4th- Strasburg
5th- Our Redeemers
6th- Northern Cass
7th- Kenmare
8th- Grafton
Glad the state tourney is back in Minot. Should be a good tournament. Goodluck to all the teams!
YMCMB
NDPreps Reserve

Postby OKCfan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:21 pm

Thursday:
G1: #2 Shiloh (22-2) vs. Grafton (17-8) 71-54
G2: #3 ORCS (24-1) vs. Strasburg/Zeeland (20-4) 67-65
G3: #1 Four Winds/Minnewaukan (23-1) vs. Northern Cass (18-5) 80-73
G4: #4 Dickinson Trinity (20-4) vs. Kenmare (21-3) 60-48

Friday:
G5: Grafton vs. Strasburg/Zeeland 71-62
G6: Northern Cass vs. Kenmare 71-64
G7: Shiloh vs. ORCS 65-64
G8: Four Winds/Minnewaukan vs. Dickinson Trinity 76-66

Saturday:
G9: Grafton vs. Kenmare 62-60
G10: Strasburg/Zeeland vs. Northern Cass 75-72
G11: Shiloh vs. Dickinson Trinity 68-64
Championship: FW/M vs. ORCS 81-70
OKCfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:16 pm

Shiloh over Grafton in a good game.
Strasburg/Zeeland over ORCS. I think this will be a good one, but wouldn't be surprised if SZ wins handily.
N/C over Four Winds/Minnewaukan in a upset. I can see a lot of points going up in this one.
Trinity over Kenmare. I'm guessing this game will the least exciting game of the day.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:11 pm

d_fense wrote:Shiloh over Grafton in a good game.
Strasburg/Zeeland over ORCS. I think this will be a good one, but wouldn't be surprised if SZ wins handily.
N/C over Four Winds/Minnewaukan in a upset. I can see a lot of points going up in this one.
Trinity over Kenmare. I'm guessing this game will the least exciting game of the day.

I think Four winds beats Northern Cass by 35. I'll say 100-65.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:32 pm

Region 2 Grafton Spoilers
put up a nice fight......I dont think they finish last, like a lot have thought....

Region 2 has a lot of history at that tournament
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Iphone_User25 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:26 pm

Just to add some fuel to the flames....Two private schools in the Semi-Finals so far with a third most likely tonight. :shock:
Iphone_User25
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Sniper » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:29 pm

Should be a good matchup tomorrow with Bismarck and Minot. Bismarck handed Minot their only loss on the season. Matchups are interesting with both teams having a lot of height inside and good shooters on the outside.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:11 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:

We will see :)
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:34 pm

d_fense wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

Wow...no one is giving NC any credit...that should play into their favor!

EDIT: A LONG way from that 100-65 score...should be a close, tight finish in a game of evenly matched teams!
Last edited by Run4Fun2009 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Halftime
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Howie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:35 pm

The inconsistencies in the reffing in our state is alarming. It shouldnt change from day to day, venue to venue, team to team or ref to ref.
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:50 pm

Howie wrote:The inconsistencies in the reffing in our state is alarming. It shouldnt change from day to day, venue to venue, team to team or ref to ref.

If we could just get every team and every player and every coach to play the same style and run the same offense and play the same defensively it would really help the Referees to be more consistent.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby noles4ever » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:19 pm

Hey senditin
Are you as offended by these constant ole cheers at the State Boys B as I am. My Gosh!
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:46 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
d_fense wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

Wow...no one is giving NC any credit...that should play into their favor!

EDIT: A LONG way from that 100-65 score...should be a close, tight finish in a game of evenly matched teams!

I guess that's why they play the games, right?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Old Drifter » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:51 am

My personal analysis after day 1 in a nutshell and I admit I'm not familiar with NC, Grafton & SZ...

Game I: Grafton the underdog put up a fight but SC had the height advantage which was their 9-point victory margin.
Game II: same as game 1. OR height advantage accounted for the 3-point margin.
Game III: just about as close as you can get to 2 evenly matched teams. It came down really to who had possession at the closing buzzer. If they played again tomorrow, NC would probably win.
Game IV: Of all 4, the most predictable. (Sorry Honker fans) 19 point victory margin which could have been larger. Kenmare was the best region 8 team...on Region 8 Championship Day...
Last edited by Old Drifter on Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Old Drifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:46 am

I actually thought the refereeing throughout day 1 was unremarkable, exactly the way it should be.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby cmplx6 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:59 am

Friday, March 18th
G5: Strasburg/Zeeland (20-5) vs. Grafton (17-9)
Grafton was impressive but the spoilers couldn't spoil. Strasburg has some shooter and looks like they have some good strength.
Strasburg/Zeland
G6: Northern Cass (18-6) vs. Kenmare (21-4)
#2 for Northern Cass is a good player. He and #14 will give Kenmare fits. They will be the difference for Northern Cass is they pull it off. Kenmare has a deeper bench and does line changes about every dead ball. Kenmare should warm up now in the tournament after ending their 18 game winning streak and getting out sized and out muscled by Trinity. Once the Rodin boys start hitting their shots they will be much tougher to stop. Unfortunately for Kenmare they didn't shoot very well at all last night.
Kenmare
G7: #2 Shiloh Christian (23-2) vs. #3 Our Redeemer's (25-1)
Shiloh Christian needs Coulter to shoot better this game to have a chance. Reiten and Vanlith should carry Our Redeemers though.
Our Redeemers
G8: #1 Four Winds-Minnewaukan (24-1) vs. #4 Dickinson Trinity (21-4)
Very impressed with Dickinson Trinity. Held Kenmare to their lowest scoring of the season. Their big men are really good. They play very good fundamental basketball. Four Winds is extremely athletic and they can shoot. But they looked lazy last night. Trinity's size will kill Four Winds, again.
Dickinson Trinity
Last edited by cmplx6 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:18 am

Day 1

Grafton made an Impression against a tough team SC (not sure if they are 2end in State)
thought the reffing swayed to SC a bit...although not a total game changer....the hole Grafton dug hurt them..

SNZ vs OR this one was a little helter skelter...I really was intrigued by the last names of both teams
remined me of playing the Winnipeg alliance :)
a lot of muscle and IMO SNZ was the better team they just had ball management issues when protecting the lead...

I was impressed with NC and coming from what I would say was one of the toughest regions this year in the state had them prepared for any of the other 7 in the field.....FW has the fastest hands I"ve seen...could have had even more steals had the ball bounced the right way on a few plays....they're pesty....Tronis was the diff in this game (although L. Nelson was had they won)... I questioned the stack play underneath at the end...you almost know its going up top and three irons nailed it...the 2 carrying the ball calls on Tronis were bogus....I saw that move by many all day long with no whistle..and the second one was at a crucial time....not as crucial as the one called in the epic Epping vs Hillsboro back when, but it reminded me of that one....

D trin has a team, Shawn S. was player of the day...10 for 10?? com'on man 23 pts 15 rebounds and a double double at half time
FWM lost in Dec to these guys I take it....this will be a battle but DT is favored in Vegas for sure I would say by 5.... :) ...FW can win...but it takes their best Offence (which will be their best D) to do it...

play on!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Edger » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:59 am

winner-within wrote:Day 1

Grafton made an Impression against a tough team SC (not sure if they are 2end in State)
thought the reffing swayed to SC a bit...although not a total game changer....the hole Grafton dug hurt them..

SNZ vs OR this one was a little helter skelter...I really was intrigued by the last names of both teams
remined me of playing the Winnipeg alliance :)
a lot of muscle and IMO SNZ was the better team they just had ball management issues when protecting the lead...

I was impressed with NC and coming from what I would say was one of the toughest regions this year in the state had them prepared for any of the other 7 in the field.....FW has the fastest hands I"ve seen...could have had even more steals had the ball bounced the right way on a few plays....they're pesty....Tronis was the diff in this game (although L. Nelson was had they won)... I questioned the stack play underneath at the end...you almost know its going up top and three irons nailed it...the 2 carrying the ball calls on Tronis were bogus....I saw that move by many all day long with no whistle..and the second one was at a crucial time....not as crucial as the one called in the epic Epping vs Hillsboro back when, but it reminded me of that one....

D trin has a team, Shawn S. was player of the day...10 for 10?? com'on man 23 pts 15 rebounds and a double double at half time
FWM lost in Dec to these guys I take it....this will be a battle but DT is favored in Vegas for sure I would say by 5.... :) ...FW can win...but it takes their best Offence (which will be their best D) to do it...

play on!

Great assessment!
Edger
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sticks11 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:06 am

Howie wrote:The inconsistencies in the reffing in our state is alarming. It shouldnt change from day to day, venue to venue, team to team or ref to ref.

How is it not going to change? How are there not going to be inconsistencies? They're human. I thought, overall the officiating was pretty good. I'm sure there was a few calls every team or fans didn't like. If there wasn't, it isn't basketball.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Makotifarmguy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:30 am

Wife and I stayed until the end. Place was almost empty by the time the buzzer sounded. Saw all the games and my assessment was that refs did fine. There were some things missed or some controversial calls, but overall I wasn't unhappy nor did I think any games ended by the hands of the refs.

After watching all the teams, I still liked the way Strasburg played basketball. They felt like the old Class B. Wished the 2 boys wouldn't have gotten themselves into foul trouble but it is what it is. Their fouls were legit.

3 parochial schools and 1 Sovereign Nation left and the champion will be crowned. If Four Winds isn't in the championship, I am very afraid of what the crowd will be for the championship game. It could end up being less than the Class A.

FYI- My wife and I were there in like 1991 or 92 at the dome when the championship game attendance was over 20,000 fans. I just remember thinking "can they stuff anyone else into this place?" There were literally people at the very top of the Dome.

Anyone have attendance statistics for the last 25 or 30 years?
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys