Great Class B Towns

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Great Class B Towns

Postby Bigbrew22 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:17 pm

EHS1998 wrote:
woodchuck10 wrote:Im just saying that schools not near Bismarck, Fargo, Grand Forks, Minot benefit from transfers as well.

Quite true. South Border had a transfer from Jamestown that helped them significantly this year.

Are you telling me that kid travels an hr and a half every day just to go to wishek school?
I don't believe it!

Twins. You have missed the point look at the enrollment of Shiloh compared to Watford or other bigger B schools and they even beat up on them year after year we have issue that needs to be addressed and the "work harder get better" argument is total BS!
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:16 am

Twins2016 wrote:Hold the phone, Heimer. I never mentioned nor suggested a one class system. My whole comment was centered around the theme that you can't say someone has an advantage now thus its justified to put them at a dis-advantage in the future.

A question for all of you: What's a better scenario?

1) Fargo Oak Grove vs. Fargo Davies, Fargo South, West Fargo, Grand Forks, etc.
2) Fargo Oak Grove vs. Central Cass, Northern Cass, Kindred, Hankinson, Maple Valley, etc.

I hope there is enough common sense to see that #2 makes the most sense. So even though they are "private" its still more logical for them to be amongst schools of similar size.

Now on to 3 classes. What's people's opinion on the recent move to a 3 class system in Legion baseball? Was that successful?

Knucklehead, I'm not suggesting Oak Grove play Davies, but Oak Grove playing Davies is a better scenario than Oak Grove playing Maple Valley.

I'm suggesting that Oak Grove play Central Cass, Kindred, Grafton, Valley City, Shiloh, Ryan, Trinity, Beulah, Hazen, Trinity, Rugby, etc.

Three classes of baseball worked very well, and it will work even better this year, when the 16-year-old teams from Fargo, Bismarck, Grand Forks, etc., join the division. There will be a 20-team class of baseball in the middle with some great games every night.

That's what I want for basketball.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:57 pm

Mind your words, Heimer.

I find the use of the word "Knucklehead" to be hostile and abusive.
I find the use of the word "pathetic" to characterize someone's opinion as hostile and abusive.
I find the use of the term "B shot" to be hostile and abusive.

I don't think your old debate coach would approve of you resorting to name calling.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:12 pm

My speech coach let me do my own thing.

We won three state titles. In a row.

I got 6th place in extemp speaking........the second time I ever did the event.

How dare you coach me on speaking?
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:36 pm

And if there were 3 classes, could you have gotten 2nd, maybe even 1st in extemp? It just isn't fair when Shanley and St. Mary's and Minot run away with all the top certificates these days.

But go ahead, keep your head buried in the sand. Let's keep the status quo just because you won 3 state titles in a row back when there was this new TV network called FOX.

Have a Snickers. You'll feel more like yourself.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:43 pm

You're funny.

I wouldn't say my experiences were quite the same as small school basketball teams.

Our titles were at the A level already. There's no one hiding at that level, unlike B.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby EHS1998 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Bigbrew22 wrote: Are you telling me that kid travels an hr and a half every day just to go to wishek school?
I don't believe it!

No, he resides in Wishek. I don't think his parents do though but could be wrong, that is just what I was told from a Jamestown source. He attended Jamestown until last year. I didn't bring it up because I think there is an issue as I'm sure it is all above board. Just was an example of someone transferring from a Class A to a Class B that I was aware of.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bigbrew22 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:49 pm

EHS1998 wrote:
Bigbrew22 wrote: Are you telling me that kid travels an hr and a half every day just to go to wishek school?
I don't believe it!

No, he resides in Wishek. I don't think his parents do though but could be wrong, that is just what I was told from a Jamestown source. He attended Jamestown until last year. I didn't bring it up because I think there is an issue as I'm sure it is all above board. Just was an example of someone transferring from a Class A to a Class B that I was aware of.

That kid just moved then, not really the type of transfer that warrants an argument. Think of it like this if a Kid that's first off the bench for an A class team decides to go to a class B school that's close so they can start BUT they don't move to that district that is a problem.
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:07 am

Bigbrew22 wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:
I don't believe it!

That kid just moved then, not really the type of transfer that warrants an argument. Think of it like this if a Kid that's first off the bench for an A class team decides to go to a class B school that's close so they can start BUT they don't move to that district that is a problem.

What you just described would make the student have to sit out for one year. I guess I don't think it is much of a problem since it happens so infrequently. How many kids would sacrifice a year of eligibility to go from a sixth man to a starter? (Using your example)
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bigbrew22 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:00 am

d_fense wrote:
Bigbrew22 wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:
I don't believe it!

What you just described would make the student have to sit out for one year. I guess I don't think it is much of a problem since it happens so infrequently. How many kids would sacrifice a year of eligibility to go from a sixth man to a starter? (Using your example)

I agree probably doesn't happen very often
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:24 am

d_fense wrote:
Bigbrew22 wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:
I don't believe it!

There are ways around this. A lot of examples from past years
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:46 am

I see Turtle Mountain only a few times.............

Now you talk about the Stars lining up.....and the wrong Class

1914: Fargo, Minot, GF Central, Dickinson
1915: Tower City, Minot, Bismarck, Park River
1916: Minot, Valley City, Dickinson, Michigan
1917: Michigan, Valley City, Dickinson, Kenmare
1918: Valley City, GF Central, Donnybrook, Mandan
1919: Petersburg, Mandan, Minot, Valley City
1920: Valley City, Fargo, Mandan, Towner, Mayville, Kenmare, Devils Lake, Ellendale
1921: Valley City, GF Central, Mandan, Wahpeton, Hettinger, Egeland, Bowbells, Minot
1922: Fargo, Egeland, GF Central, Valley City, Kenmare, Dickinson, Minot, Bismarck
1923: Fargo, Mandan, Donnybrook, Williston, GF Central, Dickinson, Jamestown, Maddock
1924: Fargo, GF Central, Devils Lake, Mandan, Valley City, Kenmare, Berthold, Dickinson
1925: Devils Lake, Wahpeton, Minot, Kenmare, Mandan, Jamestown, Belfield, GF Central
1926: Fargo, Dickinson, GF Central, Minot, Valley City, Devils Lake, Mandan, Donnybrook
1927: GF Central, Minot, Devils Lake, Fargo, Valley City, Mandan, Dickinson, Bowbells
1928: Grand Forks, Valley City, Fargo, Williston, Mandan, Hettinger, Bowbells, Rolla
1929: Valley City, Bismarck, GF Central, Sherwood, Fargo, Park River, Cando, Hettinger
1930: Bismarck, GF Central, Fargo, Valley City, Starkweather, Sherwood, Hebron, Minot
1931: Fargo, Bismarck, Minot, Devils Lake, Valley City, Mayville, Bowman, Crosby
1932: Fargo, Devils Lake, Mandan, Jamestown, Minot, Grafton, Reeder, Williston
1933: Bismarck, Mandan, Jamestown, GF Central, Devils Lake, Fargo, Enderlin, Minot
1934: Minot, Jamestown, Fargo, Mandan, GF Central, Bismarck, Valley City, Devils Lake
1935: Grafton, Wahpeton, Devils Lake, Mandan, Minot, Valley City, Fargo, Bismarck
1936: Minot, Bismarck, Valley City, Fargo, Grafton, Jamestown, Mandan, Dickinson
1937: Minot, Bismarck, Valley City, Wahpeton, GF Central, Dickinson, Fargo, Park River
1938: Fargo, Devils Lake, Wahpeton, Jamestown, GF Central, Valley City, Hannah, Bismarck
1939: Jamestown, Devils Lake, Bismarck, GF Central, Fargo, Wahpeton, Osnabrook, Williston
1940: Mandan, Bismarck, Fargo, Devils Lake, GF Central, Minot, Wahpeton, Valley City
1941: Wahpeton, GF Central, Fargo, Minot, Williston, Bismarck, Jamestown, Grafton
1942: Fargo, GF Central, Williston, Jamestown, Wahpeton, Minot, Devils Lake, Mandan
1943: Fargo, Wahpeton, Minot, Jamestown, Dickinson, Bismarck, Devils Lake, GF Central
1944: Wahpeton, Fargo, Minot, Valley City, Jamestown, Devils Lake, Mandan, Williston
1945: Valley City, Minot, Bismarck, GF Central, Fargo, Jamestown, Wahpeton, St. Leo's
1946: GF Central, Jamestown, Dickinson, Bismarck, Minot, Wahpeton, Fargo, Shanley
1947: GF Central, Bismarck, Wahpeton, Williston
1948: Williston, Bismarck, Valley City, GF Central
1949: Minot, Wahpeton, St. Mary's, Fargo
1950: Minot, Fgo Sacred Heart, Devils Lake, Dickinson, Fargo, Bismarck, St. Mary's, GF Central
1951: St. Mary's, Dickinson, Wahpeton, Bismarck, GF Central, Williston, Fargo, Devils Lake
1952: Grand Forks, Williston, Bismarck, Minot, Devils Lake, Fargo, Grafton, St. Leo's
1953: Bismarck, St. Mary's, Park River, Grafton, Valley City, Williston, Shanley, Mandan
1954: Wahpeton, Williston, Valley City, St. Mary's, Jamestown, Grand Forks, Devils Lake, Minot
1955: Minot, Dickinson, Williston, Park River, Bismarck, Valley City, Fargo, Grand Forks
1956: Grand Forks, Grafton, Minot, St. Mary's, Bismarck, Fargo, Williston, Wahpeton
1957: Bismarck, Devils Lake, Minot, Dickinson, Fargo, Wahpeton, Jamestown, Shanley
1958: Bismarck, Fargo, Minot, Williston, Grafton, Mandan, Wahpeton, Grand Forks
1959: Bismarck, Fargo, Grand Forks, Wahpeton, Williston, Dickinson, Shanley, Mandan
1960: Valley City, Grand Forks, Minot, Wahpeton, Dickinson, Walsh, Jamestown, St. Mary's
1961: Minot, Fargo, Walsh, Grand Forks, St. Mary's, Valley City, Harvey, Jamestown
1962: Rugby, Williston, Fargo, Mandan, Minot, Shanley, Devils Lake, Walsh
1963: Williston, Grand Forks, Rugby, Bishop Ryan, Bismarck, Grafton, Wahpeton, West Fargo
1964: Grafton, Bismarck, Valley City, Bishop Ryan, St. Mary's, Grand Forks, Wahpeton, Minot
1965: Minot, Devils Lake, St. Mary's, Bismarck, Grand Forks, Williston, Fargo, West Fargo
1966: Mandan, Bismarck, Wahpeton, Fargo North, Grand Forks, Cavalier, Bishop Ryan, Minot
1967: Mandan, Shanley, St. James (GF), Bottineau, Wahpeton, Bismarck, Grand Forks, Rugby
1968: Williston, GF Red River, Shanley, St. James (GF), Rugby, Fargo South, St. Mary's, Bismarck
1969: GF Red River, St. James (GF), Fort Yates, Valley City, Minot, Shanley, Dickinson Trinity, Williston
1970: GF Central, GF Red River, Valley City, Fargo South, Rugby, Dickinson, Minot, Fort Yates
1971: Minot, Jamestown, Williston, Mandan, Fort Yates, Shanley, Park River, GF Red River
1972: St. Mary's, Fargo North, Williston, Dickinson Trinity, Langdon, Wahpeton, GF Red River, Minot
1973: Fort Yates, Minot, Fargo North, Langdon, Williston, St. Mary's, Larimore, Wahpeton
1974: GF Central, Wahpeton, Jamestown, Dickinson, Bismarck, Williston, Devils Lake, Minot
1975: Williston, Dickinson, Dickinson Trinity, Minot, GF Red River, GF Central, Jamestown, West Fargo
1976: Jamestown, Dickinson, Fargo North, St. Mary's, Williston, Rugby, Langdon, Williston
1977: Fargo North, Minot, Jamestown, GF Central, Bismarck, Dickinson, Williston, Devils Lake
1978: Jamestown, GF Central, Dickinson, Minot, Williston, Wahpeton, GF Red River, Mandan
1979: Wahpeton, Jamestown, Minot, Williston, Fargo North, GF Central, Bismarck, Dickinson Trinity
1980: Minot, Williston, Bismarck, Rugby, Jamestown, GF Central, Shanley, GF Red River
1981: Mandan, St. Mary's, Devils Lake, Minot, GF Red River, GF Central, Valley City, Wahpeton
1982: Jamestown, Williston, Valley City, GF Red River, Bismarck, Fargo North, Devils Lake, Century
1983: West Fargo, Bismarck, St. Mary's, Fargo North, Century, Langdon, Devils Lake, Jamestown
1984: Century, St. Mary's, Bismarck, Fargo South, Devils Lake, Wahpeton, West Fargo, Grafton
1985: Fargo North, Jamestown, Minot, Williston, Devils Lake, Grafton, St. Mary's, GF Red River
1986: Fargo South, Jamestown, Williston, GF Central, Minot, Grafton, Bishop Ryan, Dickinson
1987: Jamestown, Fargo South, West Fargo, Grafton, Dickinson, Bismarck, Devils Lake, Minot
1988: Minot, Devils Lake, Williston, GF Red River, Fargo South, Valley City, Bismarck, West Fargo
1989: Fargo South, West Fargo, Minot, Century, Dickinson, Jamestown, Devils Lake, Bishop Ryan
1990: Minot, Jamestown, Fargo South, West Fargo, Century, Bishop Ryan, Devils Lake, Williston
1991: West Fargo, Bismarck, Fargo South, Fargo North, Bishop Ryan, Century Shanley, Minot
1992: West Fargo, Minot, Bismarck, Century, Shanley, Fargo South, Williston, Jamestown
1993: Jamestown, Minot, Shanley, Mandan, West Fargo, Valley City, Century, Turtle Mountain
1994: Bismarck, Mandan, Fargo North, Century, Jamestown, Minot, West Fargo, GF Central
1995: Minot, Bismarck, Century, West Fargo, Fargo South, Turtle Mountain, Valley City, GF Central
1996: GF Central, Minot, Shanley, Mandan, Devils Lake, Bismarck, Williston, Wahpeton
1997: Shanley, Turtle Mountain, Bismarck, West Fargo, Minot, GF Central, Valley City, Century
1998: Shanley, Devils Lake, Valley City, Bismarck, Minot, Wahpeton, Century, Williston
1999: Minot, Devils Lake, Century, Bismarck, Fargo South, Shanley, Mandan, Valley City
2000: Bismarck, Fargo South, Devils Lake, Valley City, Century, Wahpeton, Beulah, Minot
2001: Bismarck, Fargo North, Williston, Fargo South, St. Mary's, Jamestown, Century, Shanley
2002: Fargo North, Fargo South, Minot, St. Mary's, Williston, Bismarck, Shanley, West Fargo
2003: Dickinson, Williston, Fargo South, Bismarck, Shanley, West Fargo, St. Mary's, GF Central
2004: St. Mary's, Bismarck, West Fargo, Williston, Fargo South, GF Central, Century, GF Red River
2005: Bismarck, Fargo North, Williston, Dickinson, Fargo South, Devils Lake, Wahpeton, Mandan
2006: Fargo North, Minot, Williston, Bismarck, Fargo South, GF Central, Century, West Fargo
2007: Dickinson, Bismarck, Williston, Minot, West Fargo, Fargo South, Shanley, Devils Lake
2008: Bismarck, Fargo South, Dickinson, West Fargo, Minot, Fargo North, Wahpeton, Williston
2009: Mandan, West Fargo, Dickinson, Bismarck, Fargo North, Williston, GF Red River, Wahpeton
2010: Bismarck, Mandan, West Fargo, Fargo North, Century, Minot, Shanley, Fargo South
2011: Century, Bismarck, Fargo North, Mandan, Shanley, Minot, Fargo South, West Fargo
2012: GF Red River, Shanley, Mandan, Wahpeton, Bismarck, St. Mary's Minot, West Fargo
2013: Shanley, Bismarck, Fargo Davies, Century, GF Red River, St. Mary's, West Fargo, Mandan
2014: Fargo Davies, St. Mary's, Century, Fargo South, Wahpeton, Bismarck, Minot, Shanley
2015: Minot, Century, GF Red River, Fargo Davies, West Fargo, Jamestown, Turtle Mountain, Wahpeton
2016: Minot, West Fargo, Fargo Davies, GF Red River, Century, Bismarck, Devils Lake, Dickinson
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:12 pm

The Schwab wrote:
d_fense wrote:
Bigbrew22 wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:
I don't believe it!

Share one. The example he sited wouldn't qualify for an exemption. No one moved. Only thing I could think of is if an eight grader was 6th man on a class A varsity and decided he wanted to switch schools for his freshman year.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:39 pm

What he means is that there have been some instances where people have gotten around the 1 year sit out without actually moving their residence to the new school district.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:59 pm

You mean like a person who works by the Canadian border maintaining a "residence" by the South Dakota border so sonny can play by the South Dakota border?

Oh wait, that was health related. Sonny needed the warmer climate in the southern part of the state.

Oh, did I say that? Cover me with Mrs. Butterworth's and strap me to an ant hill.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:01 pm

d_fense wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
d_fense wrote:
Bigbrew22 wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:
I don't believe it!

Share one. The example he sited wouldn't qualify for an exemption. No one moved. Only thing I could think of is if an eight grader was 6th man on a class A varsity and decided he wanted to switch schools for his freshman year.

Claiming your residence is in town A when you still reside and work in town B, making the 18 year old sibling the legal guardian. Filing for "divorce" to avoid selling home.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:36 am

I said this several years ago, and I still believe it would work today. And I might add.... if it had been adopted several years ago then we wouldn't have seen nearly as many programs have to consolidate to try and find enough "talent" to compete with the larger schools and privates. Anyway, here it is again.

Each of the class B regions will be set up under the "Super Region" format. The 8 teams that "make it" to regionals compete for a birth to the Class B State Tourney, "Final 64" if you will. All the teams that don't make it to Regionals are invited to a separate tourney where they playdown for a birth into the Class B "Consolation" State Tourney.

Simple solution that gives small enrollment schools a chance to compete for some type of title every year (so their kids don't lose interest in the sport), and still gives the opportunity for the David vs Goliath matchups and upsets that make Class B so much fun. And it doesn't create the huge travel times that a 3 class system would just to find inseason games.

I'll hang up and listen.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:26 am

Don't like it. I'd much rather be the 9 seed and get to play in a tournament with the potential of multiple games than the 8 seed where I'll probably get beat easily in the region.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:51 pm

Heimer, you've provided some entertainment with your rants. When you don't completely loose your cookies, I don't always disagree with you.

However, can we please point out how hilarious it is that you claim the fact that the Thompson girl's mom being the coach at Sacred Heart is irrelevant to the transfer? Does that really not sound like a pretty sound reason to move?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Boys