The Three Pointer

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

The Three Pointer

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:03 pm

once again a general topic but putting it here because this is the most visited

Ya, we hear the term Splash bros with Curry and Thompson and we know we are seeing history in the making from beyond the arc by the 2 but is the 3 pointer overrated, being abused and relied on too much?

I feel it is, and I'm seeing it at the D1 level and all the way down with Mens/Womens Boys/girls

I played before it, came out the next season in Class B ND....I honestly believe the theory is that its easier to coach (defense primarily) a game without it (and this post is aimed at nobody) I just believe this because of the media and the hype its getting right now....its literally more popular than "the dunk" which in turn maybe it should be....but its far less important than free throws or good passing or transition ball imo
and if your not connecting on at least 35% of them than its a hindrance.....with that said it will never go away but it also will never define the game...

what do you think?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: The Three Pointer

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:23 am

I love the mid range jumper, but you need to be so efficient if you shoot them. Very few players are. It is just reality that shooting 33% from 3 is the same as shooting 50% from 2. I find it much easier for most players to shoot 33% than shoot 50%. My mantra is coaching is always, do not give up lay ups, do not give up threes, do not foul, and do not give up offensive boards. Will always live with people shooting 15-18 footers, as most kids can not make them with any type of consistency.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:07 pm

balla45 wrote:I love the mid range jumper, but you need to be so efficient if you shoot them. Very few players are. It is just reality that shooting 33% from 3 is the same as shooting 50% from 2. I find it much easier for most players to shoot 33% than shoot 50%. My mantra is coaching is always, do not give up lay ups, do not give up threes, do not foul, and do not give up offensive boards. Will always live with people shooting 15-18 footers, as most kids can not make them with any type of consistency.

Very true. IMHO, the 3 point line has created this. Players start at a young age hoisting up threes rather than practicing elbow shots. More "glamorous" hearing "three". It also leads to poor shooting technique because of lack of strength at young age. Many learn to "shoot from the hip" at young age and tough to break that habit. Also creates many players who are unable to take a defender off the dribble due to roaming around the arc.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nolan4 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:36 pm

When teams start defending the 3, you will see more driving to the basket............but usually the weaker teams play zone or extra help weak side defense , which opens up the 3...............it's a double edge sword if you are weak defensively.......give up 3 pt shot or layup........and it looks worse giving up mostly uncontested layup than a pass out 3 pt shot IMO
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby RedDirtFan » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:35 am

The evolution of the game into 3 pointers and contested layups has made it very exciting, but also a bit underwhelming with the lack of developed talent. One nice thing is that you don't know who can and can't shoot so the game is very unpredictable. It's also very physical, especially in the post, but class B officials are focused on controlling that this season and so far it has resulted in more post play, which is a good thing for basketball. There aren't a lot of refined post players out there, but those that are can now display their talents because they aren't getting mauled all night. I remember watching games these past few years where the instant a player tried to jump and take a post shot, he was being pushed away from the basket, and it was tolerated, which was wrong and never should have been allowed. Thankfully, that issue appears to be fixed. Let's just hope that it results in more kids developing skills around the basket.

Excuse my digression for a moment, back to the three pointers discussion--while it is great in its own way, I think it has the potential to ruin the game in some ways. Very rarely do you see refined talent, anymore. Most kids either can or can't shoot and it doesn't matter where on the floor they are. On any given night in high school basketball, you're going to see 3-4 scorers and 5-10 kids who will fill up the stat sheet in other areas, but struggle to put the ball in the basket. It's not easy to learn how to post up while protecting the ball, maintaining your pivot foot, know when and when not to use a dribble, spot passing lanes, use the glass, etc., but it's also not easy to learn how to shoot from 19+ feet. You'd think there'd be a split among the kids when it comes to the talents they try to develop, but most stand behind the arc and heave the ball.

I think this evolution has been significantly worse for college basketball, which is a shell of its former self.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:58 am

balla45 wrote:I love the mid range jumper, but you need to be so efficient if you shoot them. Very few players are. It is just reality that shooting 33% from 3 is the same as shooting 50% from 2. I find it much easier for most players to shoot 33% than shoot 50%. My mantra is coaching is always, do not give up lay ups, do not give up threes, do not foul, and do not give up offensive boards. Will always live with people shooting 15-18 footers, as most kids can not make them with any type of consistency.

I would contest this in a way that lets get the team shooting 60% over all with higher percentage shots...........
and in reference to part of your mantra (which i think is good) your "not giving up a three" which in turn is going to be real tough getting 33% of them to fall for the opposing 3 point shooter.....also being down low most of my life the hardest shot to offensive rebound is the 3 point shot....if you tighten the offence and look for the penetration layup or even "floater" of today and/or 10-12 foot jumper your chances of that offensive rebound or dish increases immensely....I've always said that the 3 pointer and not jut the 19 footer but the blue line 3 also is all about perception and vision............
its like the guy/gal that can hit the bulls-eye at the shooting range 200yds away as easy as the next person hits it at 100yds away....in other words your almost born to shoot the 3 IMO...
coach K imo was the best there was for a while in his career at finding that player....also the biggest evolution to the 3 I think is that taller players are getting better at it and that can be a huge advantage to their overall skill set...but they still have to have that "born mind set" I believe ... :)
Last edited by winner-within on Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:29 pm

winner-within wrote:

I would contest this in a way that lets get the team shooting 60% over all with higher percentage shots...........
and in reference to your mantra (which i think is good) your "not giving up a three" which in turn is going to be real tough getting 33% of them to fall for the opposing 3 point shooter.....also being down low most of my life the hardest shot to offensive rebound is the 3 point shot....if you tighten the offence and look for the penetration layup or even "floater" of today and/or 10-12 foot jumper your chances of that offensive rebound or dish increases immensely....I've always said that the 3 pointer and not jut the 19 footer but the blue line 3 also is all about perception and vision............
its like the guy/gal that can hit the bulls-eye at the shooting range 200yds away as easy as the next person hits it at 100yds away....in other words your almost born to shoot the 3 IMO...
coach K imo was the best there was for a while in his career at finding that player....also the biggest evolution to the 3 I think is that taller players are getting better at it and that can be a huge advantage to their overall skill set...but they still have to have that "born mind set" I believe ... :)

Great observation winner. Spot on.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sticks11 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:19 am

classB4ever wrote:
winner-within wrote:

and in reference to your mantra (which i think is good) your "not giving up a three" which in turn is going to be real tough getting 33% of them to fall for the opposing 3 point shooter.....also being down low most of my life the hardest shot to offensive rebound is the 3 point shot....if you tighten the offence and look for the penetration layup or even "floater" of today and/or 10-12 foot jumper your chances of that offensive rebound or dish increases immensely....I've always said that the 3 pointer and not jut the 19 footer but the blue line 3 also is all about perception and vision............

Great observation winner. Spot on.

I kind of agree with everything here. Like discussed before, a lot of kids shoot a higher percentage shot from 3 than they do from 15 feet simply because they just don't do it as much. Don't get me wrong, just like anyone else, I like to see the three go through the hoop. Maybe more so, however, I like to see a kid shot fake the three then take a dribble or two and hit a pull up 12-16 footer. To me, that takes more skill. On a lot of occasions though, it seems like most kids will either shoot the three or they think they need to get all the way to the hoop.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys