Which Team Do You Get to Watch?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Which Team Do You Get to Watch?

Postby RedDirtFan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:52 pm

Talk about the team you'll get to watch primarily, this season.

For me, it's PRFL (who would have thought!). I think they have a chance to develop into a very good team as the kids all settle into their roles. Defensively, they have a lot of potential because they have decent size and length. Their speed is also evident on that end, as well. Offensively, they'll improve so long as the ball continues to move. If they can run their offense without the ball stopping they'll only get better on that end of the floor. Another advantage they have is different talents. Their 5 starters are all very different players who do different things, and their bench is similar (and they can use their entire bench, if needed).

What about the rest of you?
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Re: Which Team Do You Get to Watch?

Postby packers21 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:03 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:Talk about the team you'll get to watch primarily, this season.

For me, it's PRFL (who would have thought!). I think they have a chance to develop into a very good team as the kids all settle into their roles. Defensively, they have a lot of potential because they have decent size and length. Their speed is also evident on that end, as well. Offensively, they'll improve so long as the ball continues to move. If they can run their offense without the ball stopping they'll only get better on that end of the floor. Another advantage they have is different talents. Their 5 starters are all very different players who do different things, and their bench is similar (and they can use their entire bench, if needed).

What about the rest of you?

Who are the starters for PRFL this year and what does each one excel at ?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:20 pm

I'm going to go off topic a bit here. I go to many games, so I'm going to put observations and my thoughts on different teams that I watch, even if they are teams that I don't watch 7+ times a year.

I watched Oak Grove play Hawley. Hawley is really down from what they have been in recent years.

We all know Oak Grove always seems to have shooters, and shooters are not afraid to shoot. I was a little surprised in one player in particular, Bakkegard. I believe he put up 3's the first 3 times he touched the ball without hesitation. He didn't connect on any of those 3 but did have 15 points at the half, all on 3 point shots. He finished with 19 points on 3 point shooting of 6/15. Their best player, Foster didn't see the ball much in the first half. He did play well finishing with 18 points on 8/11 shooting, collected 9 rebounds, and had 4 blocked shots. He was very efficient and was definitely the best player either team put on the court. (he was playing against Hawley's 6'8" post).

One thing that was very unlike Oak Grove was the fact that they had 8 players finish with 2 or more turnovers. This definitely had something to do with winning the game handily and playing a number of players. Overall it was a nice start for Oak Grove.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:47 pm

Hillsboro CV over Kindred 57/41.
Overall the game ended in the range that I thought it would. I knew the HCV was not big into pushing the ball up the court so I didn't expect them to win by 30. Kindred did jump up by 9 early. What surprised me was that in the second quarter it was the full court press that in my opinion turned the game around for HCV. What surprised me was that I felt the best part of Kindred would be their ball security with so many guard types.

HCV did a nice job of limiting turnovers and I was impressed with Preston. You mainly hear about their junior guards, but it was Preston who caught my eye. I'm guessing he had about 4 blocked shots and I'd guess he was in the teens for scoring. One thing did surprise me was that I didn't think HCV was very deep. Maybe that will change as they get into the season?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:04 am

Northern Cass over Hankinson 74/69
Both of these teams are pretty much what I thought they were, at least in the first game of the year for each team. The difference in this game to me was NC's depth compared to Hankinson's. Logan Nelson is better than I thought, and I thought he was really good. I like their style of play. they have a number of players who can shoot from allover the court.

Hankinson seemed to dominate the boards and scored many points by pushing the ball in the first half. Pushing the ball didn't happen very often in the second half. They were not as deep as NC and seemed to tire. Cody Mauch was very good and Hernandez did a great job getting up the court and capitalized on good passes up court by many teammates.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby wan2bqb » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:44 am

M-NS over L-L-M-M 81-63
It wasn't really this close. Lamoure has a strong core but lacks depth, once they went to the bench it was downhill fast. Thielges can shoot lights out and he did in the first half keeping the game close. (39-32) Alo is a force that can't be moved but would have liked to see him more active. Warken, Hirschkorn, and Good all do their jobs well. Could really cause issues for teams with poorer guard play.

M-NS looked better than I expected for the first game. Moved the ball extremely well and limited turnovers which I thought might be a problem. They pushed the ball and had less than five turn overs for the game. Hanson can get to the rim anytime he wants, Olson was the big beneficiary of that because he got lots of easy 6 foot and in shots, he also showed good post moves when needed. Sakry, Bussman, and Goolsbey started and all had good games. Goolsbey is running the point. They played without Kaufman and Marlette, only dressed 10 because their juniors (non-starters that is) were supposed to be out of town for the ND/MN shootout. I would suspect their bench scoring will look different in the future. If the move the ball around like they did will be tough to stop for anyone. Per Max preps Olson was high scorer with 21 after that it goes 16-15-10-7-6-3-3.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:41 am

This year will likely see a lot of Shiloh Christian.

Watched Dickinson Trinity @ Shiloh Christian.

Really impressed by Dickinson Trinity.

Their starting point guard, Lucas Jones, is a stud. Great court vision and really impressive feel.

Willy Jahner at the 2 guard is a solid player. Can make perimeter shots and does a good job getting to the hole.

Really impressed with Noah Sickler. He is about 6'2" and a good athlete. Finished well around the rim.
Trinity has a lot of size up front who did a solid job of finishing and defending, as Shiloh is very big for a North Dakota team, especially in Class B.

Shiloh is the best team I have seen in person this year in Class B, but it is still very early.

Zac Martin is a seasoned point guard, now starting for his 3rd season I believe. Really controls the flow of the game. Did not finish well from mid range in this particular outing, but does not remotely struggle in getting his shot off. Very much in control at all times.

Chad Coulter transferred back to Shiloh Christian from a school in Arkansas. Did a good job of filling it up from the perimeter. About 6'2" and fairly long and strong.

Nick Pfaff also starts on the wing. Not quite as long as Coulter but has shot well, literally, every time I have watched him play. Really excels at finding an open off of a post entry and knocking down shots from post kick outs.

Bartholomew Ogbu is 6'5". very raw, and very athletic. Finished with 9 points and 10 rebounds in this game. Left 4 points at the line and missed 2 lay ups. May be a top 20-25 player in Class B at the end of the year. Is likely 1 of 5-10 most athletic players in North Dakota high school basketball.

Jared Walter starts in the middle for them at 6'7" or so. Does a decent job finishing at the rim. Good passer out of double teams and is a decent rebounder in space. If he develops a bit of an offensive game, Shiloh Christian would be scary good.

Shiloh plays a few kids off of the bench who can make perimeter shots.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:20 am

Central Cass 76 Thompson 55
Anyone attend this game? Not surprised to see CC won, but the margin did surprise me, especially when it was in Thompson. This makes 2 early season 20 point home losses for teams that were picked to finish high in Region 2, to Region 1 teams. MPCG also lost by 20 to Northern Cass.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby RedDirtFan » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:51 am

d_fense wrote:Central Cass 76 Thompson 55
Anyone attend this game? Not surprised to see CC won, but the margin did surprise me, especially when it was in Thompson. This makes 2 early season 20 point home losses for teams that were picked to finish high in Region 2, to Region 1 teams. MPCG also lost by 20 to Northern Cass.

Region 2 is even more wide open than it was last season. It's going to be a fun year.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:29 am

That score doesn't surprise me at all. As I mentioned earlier about HCV getting all the Hoopster press and being top 10 in the polls... I don't think they or Thompson would finish in the top 5-6 in Region 1. I'm sure Thompson now knows just how talented Bresnahan is, the kid knows how to finish. He might be 5'8" but he can still take over a game.

Just my opinion.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:16 pm

d_fense wrote:Central Cass 76 Thompson 55

I found those 2 game outcomes interesting also (big win spread) although was wondering why the speculation of Thompson (still building imo) and or MPCG were on the higher end of the spectrum...
IMO the days of any Cass team (especially northern) being weak are over due to they are close to the metropolis and this will feed them...

Thompson benefits some being close to GF but nothing like down south, although I did hear they had like 50 kindergartners this year (hear say)
so in the future some of these B programs close to Jobs for the parents will always have a talent pool IMO

I do think across the Board that Region 1 is somewhat more solid than Region 2 this year and that there are many programs scrambling for bodys
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:17 am

I would love to hear from someone who has watched MPCG a time or two this year. I am curious to know what's happening there. I believe they have a new coach, but they did return some good players including their big post. I didn't expect them to beat Northern Cass and thought their Park River game would be a toss up, but getting beat by Hatton/Northwood is a big red flag.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Big Blue » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:28 am

To be honest, I am surprised that so many people had any expectations for MPCG this season. The Patriots graduated six of their top eight players including their three primary ball handlers. In addition, as mentioned, experienced head coach Kyle Morehart stepped down in the off-season. Remaining for MPCG are two quality starters. Chadrin Johnson is 6-foot-8 and looks to be improved so far this season. To me, it looks like he has added a little strength and has continued to improve his aggressiveness. Junior Ian Chandler is also back. Ian is an excellent shooter with a lanky frame who causes opponents headaches with his length.
After that, they returned almost zero returning varsity experience. Filling in those spots are members of the junior varsity team that has struggled in the past several years. In addition, new head coach Adam Edwards, who brings a lot of energy, is coaching for the very first time.
Back to your question, I was at the hatton-northwood and MPCG game. The Patriots looked terrific in the opening minutes. Against the Thunder's man-to-man defense, May-Port-CG could do anything it wanted to. In the final three quarters, coach Keenan Konschack went to a 2-3 zone and the Patriots had no luck cracking it. There were few adjustments made and none of May-Port CG's players could hit outside shots to bust the zone and open up its 6-foot-8 post player.
From my understanding, this is very similar to what happened against Northern Cass. MPCG led after the half, but was unable to score in the second half after adjustments made defensively by its opponent.
So basically other than two returning parts, May-Port CG is young and inexperienced. They can't be treated as a favorite, because they aren't one. Like any young team, you look for constant improvement. If the Patriots newcomers can keep making strides and everyone begins to adjust to their new roles, I think they could be a dangerous team come tournament time. For now, they are a team in the bottom half of Region 2 looking to work its way up.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:44 am

Thank you BigBlue! I didn't realize they lost that much off last years squad. I know the loss of Moore would be an issue, and I really did like their coach.

I guess I really just thought that with a 6'8" post that is a nice player, the game would be so much easier for his teammates that they would be a pretty good team. I have seen Ian play a pretty fair amount and guess I thought he would do more on the offensive end.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:25 pm

I am not familiar with Hanson. That would probably be a good move. I haven't seen much in Chandler's game that says point guard to me.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:56 pm

Anyone at the Enderlin/Northern Cass game last night? I'd love to hear your thoughts. It looked like Enderlin jumped up big early and held N/C off. Enderlin shot a blistering 66% from the field for the game, up over 22% from what they shot over their first 4 games of the year. What really impressed me is that they spread the shots around. They had 8 players make field goals. All made at least 2 shots and no one on the team shot under 50% from the field. Lindgren led them shooting 88% from the field.

When a team shoots that well, it kind of makes me wonder if N/C played almost no defense or if Enderlin was just crazy hot. A lot of teams don't shoot 66% during warm ups before the game with no defense out there. Good job Eagles :)
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby leroybla » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:25 pm

where was the Enderlin/Northern Cass game played? Any players with foul trouble?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:52 pm

leroybla wrote:where was the Enderlin/Northern Cass game played? Any players with foul trouble?

The game was in Enderlin. I don't know about Northern Cass, but Enderlin didn't have anyone foul out. Hamre and Lindgren did each have 4 fouls. Not sure if they received them early or if they were inconsequential late fouls.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND-is-#1 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:28 pm

Enderlin did a great job of moving the ball, passing and cutting which led to easy baskets and open shots. It was really fun to watch! Northern Cass didn't look very Impressive to me, Enderlins height seemed to throw them off a little bit. Hamre is back and playing which helps Enderlin's depth a lot. With Hamre in the line up Enderlin now starts 6'7, 6'4, 6'4, 6'4, and 6'0. Could be very tough to beat if they play like they did last night. Nelson from Northern Cass was pretty impressive late in the game, hit a lot of clutch shots to give them a shot at the end. He needs to get more touches early in the game to give NC more offense. Also think NC needs to involve springer more in the offense, but again Enderlins height really made it tough for them throughout the game.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby leroybla » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:33 am

ND-is-#1 wrote:Enderlin did a great job of moving the ball, passing and cutting which led to easy baskets and open shots. It was really fun to watch! Northern Cass didn't look very Impressive to me, Enderlins height seemed to throw them off a little bit. Hamre is back and playing which helps Enderlin's depth a lot. With Hamre in the line up Enderlin now starts 6'7, 6'4, 6'4, 6'4, and 6'0. Could be very tough to beat if they play like they did last night. Nelson from Northern Cass was pretty impressive late in the game, hit a lot of clutch shots to give them a shot at the end. He needs to get more touches early in the game to give NC more offense. Also think NC needs to involve springer more in the offense, but again Enderlins height really made it tough for them throughout the game.

Enderlin was tall last year, but then so was NC. I expect while NC is likely more athletic and shorter, Enderlin's size, coaching and chemistry gives them more upside this season, if they realize it.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wan2bqb » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:44 pm

Really hoping M-NS and Enderlin hold serve and face each other in the Barnes County Tournament next week. Other wise we have to wait until the second to the last game of the year to see them play. M-NS and Northern Cass play in the last game of the year could make for some interesting games being they are predicted to go 1-2-3 with who ever is your choice winning out. Don't want to wait that long!!!!
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:40 am

Maple Valley 46 LaMoure 43 3rd place game Barnes County Tournament
This was the 5th time I watched MV this season and the 4th for LaMoure. I thought it would be a good close game, and it was close. LaMoure really seemed to control the game for the first 3 quarters. But, I didn't think either team played particularly well. After 3 quarters LaMoure led 32-25. MV was within striking distance but it didn't seem that they would make a move. LaMoure made a free throw to go up 33-25 and then they just quit scoring. MV went on to score (If i recall correctly) ten next 10 points. MV held the lead the rest of the game, eventually pushing it to 7 points. Thielges had a 4 point play late that made the game interesting. LaMoure did have multiple chances with the ball late down by only 3.

LaMoure did struggle with some foul trouble as they are not a very deep team.

These are 2 pretty evenly matched and well coached teams. MV won their earlier game by 4 points.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Return to Boys