2015-16 Polls

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2015-16 Polls

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:37 pm

Those of us who had the delight to play in Valley City's old gym know what home court advantage is all about. In the glory years of the late 80's and early 90's when V.C. was consistently in the top of the class A ranks, there was no louder gym than the old V.C. auditorium. There will never be another like it and it was packed with screaming VC fans every single night.

But I do see the point made here. With new policies now in place (like Region 1's yellow card) and with people afraid of "being offended" in today's world, fans might tend to be less vocal - creating less of a hometown advantage for today's athletes.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Kwoods » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:50 pm

UNDSiouxfan wrote:Interesting first poll...I am a bit biased being a follower of Region 1, but it'll be interesting to see Hillsboro-Central Valley compete with the top 5-6 teams in Region 1. They were down at the half to Kindred in their first game, but kudos to them they did have a strong second half and won handily. I believe all the top Region 1 teams have 1-2 go-to standout players and there isn't a lot of respect for Region 1 in this poll. Milnor/NS has unbelievable talent and probably the best PG in the state. Central Cass isn't in the top 17, yet they probably have the 2nd best PG in the state. Northern Cass barely received votes, yet they can beat anyone when they shoot the 3 like they did in their opener against the more physical Hankinson.

This poll gave a lot of respect to Hettinger-Scranton for being an 0-2 team. They do have an all-stater back, but from reading other comments it appears that Linton and Strasburg probably have deeper teams.

Parshall got beat bad in their opener...yet they're in the top 10.

Linton has been extremely impressive so far. Two quality wins.

It does appear that Class B is very deep this year. I really believe any of the top 25 teams can compete with one another on any given night. It's going to be an interesting year to watch class B ball.

Parshall did get beat bad not trying to make excuses but shot poorly and a lot of personal things going on with the team. GoodBird did not play that would of helped on the offensive and defensive end. Both games they have lost this year he hasn't been in the line-up. He was out with the flu during the Berthold game.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:35 pm

For one to say there is no home court advantage, one would have to similarly accept that no home court advantage exists in any sport, i.e. pro football, basketball, basketball, etc. And if so, teams would be indifferent about playing at home or on the road. It's clearly a disadvantage, IMO, to play on the road, where you have fewer fans and unfamiliar surroundings, than to play at home. CC has 20 regular season games and of those, 6 are at home. Then, all tournament play for region 1 is at neutral courts.[/quote]

I feel that is a illogical leap. High school basketball to big time football, pro or college.... Noise doesn't hurt basketball. There is no snap count, verbalizing long plays in a huddle, or helmets that restrict not only hearing but vision. In the boys high school basketball in particular, communication is horrible. We have all been in gyms that are quiet. How much do you hear players talking on the court. Not much in gyms I have been in.

As a player and coach I was indifferent about playing at home or on the road. Actually I probably liked playing and coaching on the road more. I think if road games do anything, they bring teams together, which does nothing but help team chemistry and culture.

Region 1 year to date home teams are 17-17. On the road Region 1 teams are 18-19. Doesn't look like much of a home court advantage in Region 1 Boys basketball. Maybe it is just Region 1??? Let's look at Region 2.
Region 2 teams are 24-21 at home and 20-21 while playing on the road. Statistically with this size of sample there is no clear advantage to playing at home.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:07 pm

"Parshall did get beat bad not trying to make excuses but shot poorly and a lot of personal things going on with the team. GoodBird did not play that would of helped on the offensive and defensive end. Both games they have lost this year he hasn't been in the line-up. He was out with the flu during the Berthold game."

Kwoods - thanks for pointing this out. We wouldn't know these things otherwise and it's great to have a forum to discuss. Having their best player out for both losses would definitely impact the team.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Kwoods » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:48 am

UNDSiouxfan wrote:"Parshall did get beat bad not trying to make excuses but shot poorly and a lot of personal things going on with the team. GoodBird did not play that would of helped on the offensive and defensive end. Both games they have lost this year he hasn't been in the line-up. He was out with the flu during the Berthold game."

Kwoods - thanks for pointing this out. We wouldn't know these things otherwise and it's great to have a forum to discuss. Having their best player out for both losses would definitely impact the team.

Braves pick up a good win last night vs Dunseith. GoodBird was present and was a major factor.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby leroybla » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:38 am

d_fense wrote:For one to say there is no home court advantage, one would have to similarly accept that no home court advantage exists in any sport, i.e. pro football, basketball, basketball, etc. And if so, teams would be indifferent about playing at home or on the road. It's clearly a disadvantage, IMO, to play on the road, where you have fewer fans and unfamiliar surroundings, than to play at home. CC has 20 regular season games and of those, 6 are at home. Then, all tournament play for region 1 is at neutral courts.

I feel that is a illogical leap. High school basketball to big time football, pro or college.... Noise doesn't hurt basketball. There is no snap count, verbalizing long plays in a huddle, or helmets that restrict not only hearing but vision. In the boys high school basketball in particular, communication is horrible. We have all been in gyms that are quiet. How much do you hear players talking on the court. Not much in gyms I have been in.

As a player and coach I was indifferent about playing at home or on the road. Actually I probably liked playing and coaching on the road more. I think if road games do anything, they bring teams together, which does nothing but help team chemistry and culture.

Region 1 year to date home teams are 17-17. On the road Region 1 teams are 18-19. Doesn't look like much of a home court advantage in Region 1 Boys basketball. Maybe it is just Region 1??? Let's look at Region 2.
Region 2 teams are 24-21 at home and 20-21 while playing on the road. Statistically with this size of sample there is no clear advantage to playing at home.[/quote]

De_Fence, You've obviously convinced yourself that there is no advantage to playing at home. But ask ANY OTHER COACH if they have an advantage at home. Many coaches hope to win at home and split on the road. That speaks volumes.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RedDirtFan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:41 am

My thoughts on Home Court/Field advantage in high school sports. Very rarely does the better team not win regardless of where the game is played. When teams are close enough in quality, poorer facilities CAN sway the game in the home team's favor when perhaps the away team would have won on a better surface or, in basketball's case, a larger facility (disclaimer--larger does not mean better. Some teams simply aren't acclimated to the older style small gym. I for one think those gyms make the best environment and I hope games continue to be played in them for as long as these schools exist). At the same time, I think every small gym in the state was made to update their baskets and backboards. I haven't seen the smaller backboard and old stiffer rim in a gym in almost ten years, no matter how old or small. I'd say a good 99% of the time, the better team wins in basketball. In football, a poor surface can absolutely neutralize speed and/or minimize the power with which a larger team can block. There is nothing worse than not having footing.

There's my 2 cents.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby leroybla » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:53 am

RedDirtFan wrote:My thoughts on Home Court/Field advantage in high school sports. Very rarely does the better team not win regardless of where the game is played. When teams are close enough in quality, poorer facilities CAN sway the game in the home team's favor when perhaps the away team would have won on a better surface or, in basketball's case, a larger facility (disclaimer--larger does not mean better. Some teams simply aren't acclimated to the older style small gym. I for one think those gyms make the best environment and I hope games continue to be played in them for as long as these schools exist). At the same time, I think every small gym in the state was made to update their baskets and backboards. I haven't seen the smaller backboard and old stiffer rim in a gym in almost ten years, no matter how old or small. I'd say a good 99% of the time, the better team wins in basketball. In football, a poor surface can absolutely neutralize speed and/or minimize the power with which a larger team can block. There is nothing worse than not having footing.

There's my 2 cents.

The Bison have won their last 5 games against FBS teams. And they were probably the better team in each case. But having said that, no one (with the possible exeptions of d_fense and RedDirtFan) disregards that those games were all played on the road. C'mon. We can agree that the best team usually wins, but familiar surroundings, no long bus ride both ways, home crowd (regardless of size or shape of the gym) is an advantage.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Old Drifter » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:26 pm

Kwoods wrote:
UNDSiouxfan wrote:Interesting first poll...I am a bit biased being a follower of Region 1, but it'll be interesting to see Hillsboro-Central Valley compete with the top 5-6 teams in Region 1. They were down at the half to Kindred in their first game, but kudos to them they did have a strong second half and won handily. I believe all the top Region 1 teams have 1-2 go-to standout players and there isn't a lot of respect for Region 1 in this poll. Milnor/NS has unbelievable talent and probably the best PG in the state. Central Cass isn't in the top 17, yet they probably have the 2nd best PG in the state. Northern Cass barely received votes, yet they can beat anyone when they shoot the 3 like they did in their opener against the more physical Hankinson.

This poll gave a lot of respect to Hettinger-Scranton for being an 0-2 team. They do have an all-stater back, but from reading other comments it appears that Linton and Strasburg probably have deeper teams.

Parshall got beat bad in their opener...yet they're in the top 10.

Linton has been extremely impressive so far. Two quality wins.

It does appear that Class B is very deep this year. I really believe any of the top 25 teams can compete with one another on any given night. It's going to be an interesting year to watch class B ball.

Parshall did get beat bad not trying to make excuses but shot poorly and a lot of personal things going on with the team. GoodBird did not play that would of helped on the offensive and defensive end. Both games they have lost this year he hasn't been in the line-up. He was out with the flu during the Berthold game.

Monte is always good for 15+ per game and Julani Foote was also out the berthold game. Julani's contributes 10+ per game...
Old Drifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:36 pm

leroybla wrote....
De_Fence, You've obviously convinced yourself that there is no advantage to playing at home. But ask ANY OTHER COACH if they have an advantage at home. Many coaches hope to win at home and split on the road. That speaks volumes.[/quote]

leroybla, Totally unscientific small poll. I asked 4 coaches that are friends today their feelings on coaching, or playing home vs the road. 3 were totally indifferent, 1 said he wished all games were at home because he hates driving the bus and the school can't or will not find someone not on the team to drive.

And why are you talking about Bison Football games? I had already said that big time football, pro and college is different.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby RabidFan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:24 am

I would like to politely suggest that we take this thread back to the polls. Home court advantage can be discussed in it's own thread if so desired.

Again, several key losses this week will lead to more shake-ups in the polls. This week, the #2 (Hillsboro), #5 (Linton), # 6 (St. John) all had a loss. On the RV list, Enderlin, Berthold, Dunseith, Hettinger all had losses.

Notable wins include Dickinson Trinity with 3 wins this week including beating #5 Linton. Larimore had a good win over Hillsboro. Parshall had 3 wins including beating Dunseith.

Here is my guess at what tomorrow's poll will look like.
1. 4 Winds - didn't play, but will stay #1
2. Shiloh - had a win and Hillsboro lost
3. Our Redeemers - had 2 wins this week
4. Hillsboro - May drop further, but I think they will land about here
5. Dickinson Trinity - beat the #5 team. Lots of quality wins this season
6. Central Cass - 3 wins this week.
7. Milnor-North Sargent - 3 wins this week including beating RV Enderlin - could argue they deserve to be above Central Cass, but based on how they ranked last week, I went with this.
8. Linton - Switched places on the poll with Trinity
9. Ellendale. 2 wins this week.
10. Larimore - Hey, they were on the RV list and they beat the #2 team. They need to be given a spot in the top 10.

What are other people's thoughts?
RabidFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby leroybla » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:36 am

RabidFan wrote:I would like to politely suggest that we take this thread back to the polls. Home court advantage can be discussed in it's own thread if so desired.

Again, several key losses this week will lead to more shake-ups in the polls. This week, the #2 (Hillsboro), #5 (Linton), # 6 (St. John) all had a loss. On the RV list, Enderlin, Berthold, Dunseith, Hettinger all had losses.

Notable wins include Dickinson Trinity with 3 wins this week including beating #5 Linton. Larimore had a good win over Hillsboro. Parshall had 3 wins including beating Dunseith.

7. Milnor-North Sargent - 3 wins this week including beating RV Enderlin - could argue they deserve to be above Central Cass, but based on how they ranked last week, I went with this.
10. Larimore - Hey, they were on the RV list and they beat the #2 team. They need to be given a spot in the top 10.

Enderlin belongs in the top 10 someplace. CC still pretty high, IMO.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WEhaveAproblem » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:10 am

Enderlin is a good team but doesnt belong in the top ten in my opinion...
WEhaveAproblem
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:47 pm

I still struggle with M-NS much higher that 8th or 9th and they beat Enderlin. And if the young Mr. Bye doent shoot 6 for 8 from three (75%) 6 in a row to bring them back that game doesn't go to overtime.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsphenom » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:11 pm

leroybla wrote:
RabidFan wrote:I would like to politely suggest that we take this thread back to the polls. Home court advantage can be discussed in it's own thread if so desired.

Enderlin belongs in the top 10 someplace. CC still pretty high, IMO.

Enderlin barely got by a struggling LaMoure L-M this week. They don't belong in the top 10.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:01 pm

SIXTH POLL
January 18th

1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan (14) 8-1 157
2. Shiloh Christian (1) 8-1 138
3. Our Redeemer's 8-1 121
4. Central Cass (1) 8-0 99
5. Hillsboro-Central Valley 8-1 71
6. Milnor-North Sargent 8-0 66
7. Ellendale 9-0 60
8. Dickinson Trinity 9-3 59
9. Linton-HMB 9-2 42
10. Larimore 9-1 26
Others Receiving Votes: St. John (8-2), Strasburg/Zeeland (7-2), Thompson (7-3), Enderlin (6-3), Parshall (8-2), Northern Cass (6-2), L&C-Berthold (7-2).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:00 pm

SEVENTH POLL
January 25th

1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan (17) 10-1 170
2. Shiloh Christian 10-1 146
3. Our Redeeemer's 10-1 132
4. Milnor-North Sargent 11-0 102
5. Ellendale 11-0 89
6. Hillsboro-Central Valley 10-1 84
7. Linton-HMB 10-2 58
8. Dickinson Trinity 9-3 56
9. Central Cass 9-1 44
10. Strasburg/Zeeland 9-2 19
Others Receiving Votes: St. John (10-2), Thompson (9-3), Larimore (10-2), Northern Cass (8-2), Enderlin (8-3), L&C-Berthold (9-2), Drake-Anamoose (9-1), Parshall (10-2), Beulah (7-2), Grafton (8-3).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby truckingpete » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:27 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:SEVENTH POLL
January 25th

1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan (17) 10-1 170
2. Shiloh Christian 10-1 146
3. Our Redeeemer's 10-1 132
4. Milnor-North Sargent 11-0 102
5. Ellendale 11-0 89
6. Hillsboro-Central Valley 10-1 84
7. Linton-HMB 10-2 58
8. Dickinson Trinity 9-3 56
9. Central Cass 9-1 44
10. Strasburg/Zeeland 9-2 19
Others Receiving Votes: St. John (10-2), Thompson (9-3), Larimore (10-2), Northern Cass (8-2), Enderlin (8-3), L&C-Berthold (9-2), Drake-Anamoose (9-1), Parshall (10-2), Beulah (7-2), Grafton (8-3).

Finally, Drake-Anamoose getting some recognition. But, no Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier yet? I mean they lost by 1 point to #5 Ellendale...
truckingpete
NDPreps Rookie

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:56 am

I agree that EKM should be in the mix.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:38 am

EHS1998 wrote:I agree that EKM should be in the mix.

It seems the voters continue to overlook them and then teams like Grafton end up with a vote? EKM deserves a vote before a few teams that are listed in 'ORV'.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:45 am

Yes, EKM is very very good.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:27 am

The polls are a good conversation starter, but I don't know if people around the state know who the top 10 teams in the state are. There are probably 15-20 teams this year in the state that could contend for a state title.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:56 am

The Schwab wrote:The polls are a good conversation starter, but I don't know if people around the state know who the top 10 teams in the state are. There are probably 15-20 teams this year in the state that could contend for a state title.

Completely agree. It really only matters who is still playing in mid March.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:28 pm

I agree. EKM was receiving votes the week before they lost by one point to undefeated Ellendale in the Stutsman Co. Tournament. What is the reason for pushing them off the map? Ellendale wasn’t ranked at the time, but they are number five now and obviously a good team. On the flip side, it looks like the rankings are all over the place anyway. #9 Dickinson Trinity beat number one FW/Minnewauken and #4 Linton; #9 Linton turns around and beats #4 and unbeaten Central Cass; and #9 Central Cass beats #4 Milnor-NS last night. Don’t be surprised if EKM beats #5 Linton tonight, or #10 Strasburg-Zeeland beats Linton on Friday night. Look for the rankings to continue to shuffle as there doesn’t appear to be an odds-on favorite to win it all. A lot of regions look very competitive and there should be some exciting region tournaments in most cases.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby truckingpete » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:57 pm

Agreed that the polls are going to continue to shift a lot in the next month. I can't wait until tournament time! There's always an upset somewhere in Feb/March.

But I have to say, the Jamestown Region tournament is going to be STACKED. Wow. Can't wait!
truckingpete
NDPreps Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Boys