Parshall vs. ORCS

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Parshall vs. ORCS

Postby RabidFan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:56 am

The season kicks off this weekend and one of the games I am looking forward to is Our Redeemer's playing at Parshall. Both teams are ranked in the top 10 pre-season, both team's are projected to make it to the State Tournament, and both teams have some question marks regarding how good they will be this season. This early season match up should be helpful to answer some of those questions. I am going to put out my best guess at to how the game will unfold. Please take this as pure speculation - I know that no one has played any games yet this year, so speculation is the best we have. I thought it might be fun for people on the forum to take sides and state their reasons and then we can see how it actually plays out.

I will start with my conclusion: I think ORCS will win this game.

Now, for my reasons why. Parshall made it to the State Tournament last year and will likely go back again this year. They return their best player (D. Simpson). However, they graduated their point guard,(J. Roberts) who was also their second leading scorer after last season. They also graduated their leading rebounder (M. Odermann). They bring back 3 starters, but the loss of their floor leader and a good rebounder and defender will be hard to replace.

ORCS graduated their leading scorer (D. Kopinger). Certainly, losing the leading scorer is a blow to any team, but I think the loss of Kopinger will be easier for ORCS than the loss of Roberts for Parshall. Kopinger was ORCS's leader in scoring, but ORCS has several other players who scored nearly as much as him. ORCS has depth in scoring and I think they will be able to find players who can score points.

That is another reason that I think ORCS has the advantage in this game. Their attack was balanced last year and I think they will be even more balanced this year. That makes them hard to stop - they don't have any one player to key on, or try to stop. Parshall - on the other hand - is clearly dependent on Simpson. If you stop Simpson (like Rugby did at State) then they don't go very far. Now that will be the question. Can ORCS stop Simpson? Last season, Simpson scored 27 points against ORCS. If he has another big game against them this season, then Parshall might win. If ORCS holds Simpson to reasonable points (10-15) then they should win.

Now, this assumes that ORCS really does have the ability to make up for the scoring they are not getting from Kopinger. Looking at the hoopster and last years numbers, they should be able to do that, but again, they haven't played yet so I am just guessing. They just have so much height (Steede 6'8" / Reiten 6'6" / Talley 6'4" / VanLith 6'3 - plus two guys on the bench who are 6'4"). Last season, I watched a few ORCS games and they really never took advantage of their height. If they find a way to consistently exploit their height advantage they should be able to score. If they don't, well then Parshall is back in the game. Parshall has a big player (M. Goodbird) but I don't know if he has the speed and endurance to keep up with all the big guys from ORCS.

Both teams like to run and I think that is an advantage for ORCS. Again, ORCS has lots of big guys so they don't have to worry about fatigue or fouls. Also, as I said, ORCS's bigs are more mobile than Parshall's. Parshall has Goodbird and Simpson as far as I know for height. If either of them gets into foul trouble their team is in trouble.

The game is in Parshall and that is their advantage. For them to win, Simpson has to have a big game (near 30). They have to limit turnovers. They have to stop ORCS on the inside (or try to get ORCS into a 3-point shooting contest). Someone else from Parshall has to have a good offensive game to help Simpson, and Parshall has to stay out of foul trouble.
RabidFan
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Parshall vs. ORCS

Postby d_fense » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:02 pm

I don't know much about ORCH other than what I've found on this site and in the Hoopster. Some people are very high on them, others will say they are good, but not much more. What I see on them is that they have a lot of size for a class B team. I love height in basketball, but how skilled are they? I'm not asking to try knock anyone. I just haven't seen them play. None of their returners averaged 7 boards a game, but 4 of them averaged over 5. The leading returning scorer averaged 12.3 ppg, no other player averaged double figures. That could be a good thing, balance is nice. The height is impressive, no question. The 6'8" boy lead them in shot blocking at 1.56 per game. That is solid for a post, but not great.

I'm looking for some people who know the team to share their thoughts. What I've read leads me to believe that this is a solid team with a lot of height, but no individual player who would be thought of as a standout, or top of the region type of player. Help me out.... Am I wrong?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby lakers24 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:18 am

Should be a very fun game to watch. I think Parshall is a very good team wouldn't be surprised if they made state again this year. Also I wouldn't be surprised if they didnt make state this year. I think there is some talented teams in region 8 such Stanley and Trinity Christian that have been slightly overlooked that could give Parshall some ploblems. I feel it'll be very competitive region reguardless.

Also does anyone know what time the Parshall vs ORCS game starts at?
lakers24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Old Drifter » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:32 pm

hmmmm....first of all I want to address the state tourney...yes, parshall was beaten by a large # but nobody was gonna beat rugby...they were on a mission to make up for being humiliated at state 2014 after a dream undefeated season.(I think. please correct me if I'm wrong) BUT if you watch the game again, parshall was getting their shots. someone just put a lid on the bucket...nothing was falling...(yup, I'm a braves fan) ORCS has the height but as a previous poster said, he didn't see them using it last year...they will this year i'm sure due to another years seasoning...d-dre was a standout for a sophomore and he's grown another couple-3 inches to round 6'-4"/5" now. Monte goes 6'-5" and despite not looking the part, has quick feet, a sweeeeeet soft shot and is an excellent shot blocker. Most teams will underestimate him again this year to their detrimate. the braves also have this Johnson kid, a transfer who is also like 6'-5"/6" but he's young and needs seasoning...you all seem to forget about julani F...that kid was fearless for only being like 5'7' or so...he took it right at the big boys as a soph and he's twice as fearless this year...the braves have 2 unknowns (to other teams, not braves fans) on the starting 5. the Jarski kid at 6' 1" or so and shooting guard Mauricio grado at 6'1"...The jarski kid may be only a bit over 6' but he plays like he's 6'4" and I've watched the grado kid stand out there in NBA 3-point land and drill shot after shot after shot...and both are seniors...true, the braves don't have much of a bench and that may hurt them and ORCS may be able to take advantage of that...when they played last year...it was neck and neck up to the last 3 minutes or so then OR pulled away...It will be a good matchup of 2 state class teams and as a fan of B boys basketball in general, I'm really looking forward to the matchup. whoever loses will get a chance to avenge that loss at state...my 2 cents worth...oh and the games starts at 3:00 pm Saturday...
Old Drifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby RabidFan » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:14 pm

ORCS won 79-54. Couple notes on the game. First, Goodbird didn't play for Parshall. Second, man were there a lot of fouls called. ORCS had fouled out 3 of their starters and Parshall had fouled out two, and Simpson had early foul trouble, but finished the game with four fouls. He had 4 early in the fourth quarter and ORCS never seemed to care, or try to attack him, but in the end, they won. ORCS did eventually figure out how to exploit their size advantage with Reiten dominating the second half. ORCS has a lot of weapons, too many for Parshall, and that seemed to be the difference. I will have to wait for the paper tomorrow to see the real stats, but I think all the ORCS starters scored double figures, and Reiten might have had 20. One other observation is that ORCS has a kid named Demme that looked like a lights out shooter tonight. He had 3 or 4 threes. I am not sure if he missed. He had very limited playing time due to fouls. I want to see what he can do in a full game.
RabidFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby RabidFan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:06 am

Two other things happened at the game that I have never seen before in a basketball game that I wanted to share.
First was when an ORCS player (Steede) blocked a shot by a Parshall player and he blocked it hard and straight down into the floor by his feet. Just spiked the shot like a volleyball, and then the ball hit the floor, bounced straight up and went into the basket! Two points for Parshall! I don't know who they gave the points in the official book, but Steede scored the bucket with his block.

Second thing was even stranger. I don't know if there has been a rule change this year, but there was a play where Simpson for Parshall was trying to shoot a layup. He missed the layup and landed hard and got up slowly. ORCS rebounded the missed and took off to their end. They were playing 5 on 4 at their basket when the ref blows his whistle and calls official time out. The ref then motions to Simpson to hurry up and get back on defense. Once Simpson gets down to the defensive end of the court, the ref then has ORCS inbound the ball and play again. It was really strange. It wasn't an injury time out. Simpson didn't have to sit out until the next dead ball. It was just that the ref seemed to want to give Simpson a chance to get back on defense. Is there some rule change, or was this just crazy?
RabidFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:53 pm

on your 2nd thing...that was not handled correctly. The only way play should stop is if there was concern for a serious injury (always if you suspect the player hit his head - concussion). ORCS should have had the opportunity to score 5 on 4...then play would stop once Parshall regains possession.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby thefourwinds » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:14 pm

Some comments about the ORCS-Parshall game (I am new to the forum - first-time poster):

1. I agree that the official injury time out situation was not handled correctly.

2. There indeed were a huge amount of defensive fouls called. I definitely appreciate when officials call enough fouls to keep the game from getting out of hand physically (and people getting hurt from it), but in the second half, it really seemed to penalize ORCS for playing good defense.

3. That block-bounce-basket play was insane. It would not have been as amusing to everyone if the game had been closer!

4. Regarding ORCS as a team in general, I agree that they don't have any superstar players. IMO, this is the biggest strength of their team this year, because if a team is too dependent on a star player, and he either gets hurt or has a bad night, that can cripple a team. The four starting seniors for ORCS (VanLith, Reiten, Talley, and Demme) have been playing together since elementary school; they have been preparing for this year for a long time, and they are each focused on what it takes to win as a team, not primarily on individual stats. Steede joined them in recent years, and he has fit right into the team mentality. Regarding Demme as a shooter, he has really come into his own over the past 18 months. He had an early growth spurt in jr. high and really perfected his post game, then everyone else grew past him. He has had to remake his game from post to shooting guard over the past three seasons, and it has been fun to watch that happen.
thefourwinds
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Boys