2015 STATE TOURNEY

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who Wins State?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:02 pm

Four Winds-Minnewaukan
35%
Rugby
35%
Oak Grove
4%
New England
12%
LaMoure-LM
7%
May-Port-CG
2%
Parshall
4%
Shiloh Christian
2%

Total votes : 57

Re: 2015 STATE TOURNEY

Postby RedDirtFan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:05 pm

d_fense wrote:
RedDirtFan wrote:I feel bad for the New England kids. They were definitely better than at least 3-4 teams in this tournament, but that opening night loss took the wind out of them.

And the opening day loss didn't take "the wind" out of the other 3 teams in the consolation bracket? Each of those teams were able to come up with a win. Any of the 8 teams could beat another of the teams on a given day, whether they are better or not. Don't make excuses for the only team that didn't win a game in the tourney or talk down about any of the 7 teams that did win a game.

I'm not trying to talk N.E. down. They clearly are a nice team that made it to state from a region that has been traditionally strong for a number of years.

That is absolutely not true.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby HammerTime » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:36 pm

hsfootballfan wrote:If the Rugby fans were as classy as their players are, Rugby would be liked a lot more. I've never seen a fan base that whines more than theirs after every whistle. It doesn't matter if it was a good call or questionable one.

Ahem!! Four Winds!
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RedDirtFan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:41 pm

Can we not complain about something after the games for once? You couldn't have asked for more from that championship game. It was well officiated (imo, the best Class B ref in the state was out there), both teams played well, and the best team on this particular day took the whole thing home.

Let's talk about the game. I loved the contrasting styles, and the way both teams played defense. Boy, can Four Winds cover with the the way all of their kids can fly around. Rugby rotates very very well. I'm not sure there were 10 shots that weren't contested in that entire game. It was a great Class B championship.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby HammerTime » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:43 pm

Also, who was that kid sitting on press row that was acting so immature? He saw his face on the big board and laughed and waved. He looked like some kid high schooler. If he got to vote for those all tourney awards too... I also saw him photobomb the TV casters too as I was walking to my seat. Just classless.
Last edited by HammerTime on Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Jack8 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:58 am

RedDirtFan wrote:Can we not complain about something after the games for once? You couldn't have asked for more from that championship game. It was well officiated (imo, the best Class B ref in the state was out there), both teams played well, and the best team on this particular day took the whole thing home.

Let's talk about the game. I loved the contrasting styles, and the way both teams played defense. Boy, can Four Winds cover with the the way all of their kids can fly around. Rugby rotates very very well. I'm not sure there were 10 shots that weren't contested in that entire game. It was a great Class B championship.

This is true RedDirtFan it was a good game both sides. Wish Trayvon kid was feeling better,it would have made for a better game IMO. With that being said congrats too Rugby
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:13 am

RedDirtFan wrote:
d_fense wrote:
RedDirtFan wrote:I feel bad for the New England kids. They were definitely better than at least 3-4 teams in this tournament, but that opening night loss took the wind out of them.

And the opening day loss didn't take "the wind" out of the other 3 teams in the consolation bracket? Each of those teams were able to come up with a win. Any of the 8 teams could beat another of the teams on a given day, whether they are better or not. Don't make excuses for the only team that didn't win a game in the tourney or talk down about any of the 7 teams that did win a game.

I'm not trying to talk N.E. down. They clearly are a nice team that made it to state from a region that has been traditionally strong for a number of years.

So which team or teams would have a 0% chance of beating another team at state?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:05 am

HammerTime wrote:
hsfootballfan wrote:If the Rugby fans were as classy as their players are, Rugby would be liked a lot more. I've never seen a fan base that whines more than theirs after every whistle. It doesn't matter if it was a good call or questionable one.

Ahem!! Four Winds!

Don't start anything...stood by both fan bases during title game and neither one was respectable.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:08 am

HammerTime wrote:Also, who was that kid sitting on press row that was acting so immature? He saw his face on the big board and laughed and waved. He looked like some kid high schooler. If he got to vote for those all tourney awards too... I also saw him photobomb the TV casters too as I was walking to my seat. Just classless.

Not sure who your talking about here...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby RedDirtFan » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:54 am

d_fense wrote:
RedDirtFan wrote:
d_fense wrote:

So which team or teams would have a 0% chance of beating another team at state?

Obviously, among the pool of 8 there was a team or teams that each of the 8 could beat, but there are definitely some teams that were in the tournament who probably couldn't beat Rugby or FWM, in my opinion. It's not meant to talk down on those teams so much as to say that Rugby and FWM were absolutely excellent.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby BigCat » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:56 am

Don't mean to change the subject, but I would like to list all of the issues I had with the state tournament in Bismarck this weekend. That includes the parking, ticket price, motel room availability, the halftime and pregame entertainment, etc. etc. The issues I had with the tournament are as follows:

Yes, I'm being facetious. It was a great tournament with no visible issues to me. The only thing I would change if I had a vote would be to get rid of the band on the end zone and allow the students to have that room. I watched a half a dozen overweight gentleman stretching out over three chairs while there were people packed in like sardines in the Rugby section. Some novelties do you wear out.

By the way, I didn't see the drama with the coach and the ref. I have my guess as to who it was, but I am wondering if it's the same ref that I was disgusted with both nights. He worked the first game both evenings and felt he needed to general the game and be noticed. I felt sorry for the rest of his crew and the fact that they were trying to let the players decide the game. Look back at the number of fouls that particular ref called on Friday night. He had an impact on the game which is not a refs job.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby Shawn » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:44 am

You know after watching bits and pieces of the tournament and reflecting over the Class B season as a whole, I think everyone should refrain from the usual debate and reflect and appreciate all of the great athletes and team's Class B had this year.

Cavalier football-Big, fast, athletic, multiple talents. Some D1 dudes that's for sure.
Ryan Girls BB- big, athletic, multiple talents. One of those rare teams with D1 athletes.
Carrington Wrestling-very impressive season. Majority were juniors, so who knows how high this team will peak by the end of next year.
Rugby BB-love em', hate em', you have to respect them. Tall, can run the floor. D1 athletes too.

Can't forget about all those others-LaMoure's Anthony Olson. Tough on the football field as well. Adam White from Ellendale that unfortunately did not get to step on the court at the region tournament due to injury. Many others that can be added to the list. I understand the fun of the normal debates, but the tournaments are over and the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" applies to all those that didn't get it done. Bottom line is those teams that got it done deserve the respect they earned. Congratulations to all the state champions and thank you to all the Class B athletes and teams that made for great entertainment this past year. One for the books!! Great to see how the Class B athlete is increasing considered as D1 talent. Back in the day that was few and far between. Goes to show how much work kids are putting in. Parent's be proud of your kids' accomplishments as well.
Shawn
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigshowjay » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:29 am

Shawn well said. We just had a Great State B Tourney. Kids played hard and well and another year is in the books. Was it a perfect Tournament, No and there is no such thing, but can we stop complaining about everything and enjoy the positives! These are High School Kids who need and in most cases deserve out support, when they see and hear the fans around them never happy and always whining then they pick this up as well. My thoughts are Job well done boys and I look forward to the 2015-16 season.
bigshowjay
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BigCat » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:21 pm

Kumbyaaa!!!!
Hate to break it to you two, but this is where we debate. I'm not arguing the lovefest, but there will be opinions on here, like it or not.
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:25 pm

The championship game was very entertaining to watch and Rugby definitely won game last night. But Fourwinds showed that they have quality program and if you played them in series of games they probably win the series. I look at last night if you took leading scorer off any one of the teams playing in the state tournament and played one of the top teams in the state what would have been result. This goes for Rugby too if Hiedlebaugh was sick or hurt on bench for Rugby for most part of the championship game what would have been the result. Friday night people of the state got to see a little of Travon McKay talent in the second half of that game when he brought them back for a win. I think the game would have been real photo finish if Fourwinds would have had McKay at full strength and Rugby would may have still won but its something were not ever going to know. McKay averaged over 20 points and was leader of that team you can't tell me that didn't effect Fourwinds whole game plan and player rotations and options they could do. The bright spot for Fourwinds is this team returns a lot of talent and their day maybe coming in the future like it was for Rugby last year.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HammerTime » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:41 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:The championship game was very entertaining to watch and Rugby definitely won game last night. But Fourwinds showed that they have quality program and if you played them in series of games they probably win the series. I look at last night if you took leading scorer off any one of the teams playing in the state tournament and played one of the top teams in the state what would have been result. This goes for Rugby too if Hiedlebaugh was sick or hurt on bench for Rugby for most part of the championship game what would have been the result. Friday night people of the state got to see a little of Travon McKay talent in the second half of that game when he brought them back for a win. I think the game would have been real photo finish if Fourwinds would have had McKay at full strength and Rugby would may have still won but its something were not ever going to know. McKay averaged over 20 points and was leader of that team you can't tell me that didn't effect Fourwinds whole game plan and player rotations and options they could do. The bright spot for Fourwinds is this team returns a lot of talent and their day maybe coming in the future like it was for Rugby last year.

I have nothing but respect for you, Mr. OldTimer, but what you're telling me is that Nolan Hovland did nothing? Give the kid some credit. He held Carter Kretchman to no points in the second half against OG and you're telling me that him holding McKay to two points was a fluke?
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:23 pm

I was not at the tournament in person so I can only comment on the TV part of it. I was very impressed with Rugby, they were definitely a team on a mission. I thought it was a pretty competitive tournament from top to bottom but Rugby, to me, was the best team in the tournament. There were a number of really good athletes from every team and it seemed like the atmosphere was really good for all of the TV games. If the NDHSAA needed any more evidence that Bismarck needs to be the permanent home for the Class B boys tourney they should have gotten it this weekend. Congrats to all the teams for a successful season and I can't wait for it to start all over again in November!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:47 pm

HammerTime wrote:
B-oldtimer wrote:The championship game was very entertaining to watch and Rugby definitely won game last night. But Fourwinds showed that they have quality program and if you played them in series of games they probably win the series. I look at last night if you took leading scorer off any one of the teams playing in the state tournament and played one of the top teams in the state what would have been result. This goes for Rugby too if Hiedlebaugh was sick or hurt on bench for Rugby for most part of the championship game what would have been the result. Friday night people of the state got to see a little of Travon McKay talent in the second half of that game when he brought them back for a win. I think the game would have been real photo finish if Fourwinds would have had McKay at full strength and Rugby would may have still won but its something were not ever going to know. McKay averaged over 20 points and was leader of that team you can't tell me that didn't effect Fourwinds whole game plan and player rotations and options they could do. The bright spot for Fourwinds is this team returns a lot of talent and their day maybe coming in the future like it was for Rugby last year.

I have nothing but respect for you, Mr. OldTimer, but what you're telling me is that Nolan Hovland did nothing? Give the kid some credit. He held Carter Kretchman to no points in the second half against OG and you're telling me that him holding McKay to two points was a fluke?

He held McKay to 2 points because he wasn't on the floor very much (flu). McKay was only on the floor for 14:36 last night. Hovland is a great defender, don't get me wrong, but I'd guess McKay would have had more then 2 points if he was healthy.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BigCat » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:06 pm

By the way, I didn't see the drama with the coach and the ref. I have my guess as to who it was, but I am wondering if it's the same ref that I was disgusted with both nights. He worked the first game both evenings and felt he needed to general the game and be noticed. I felt sorry for the rest of his crew and the fact that they were trying to let the players decide the game. Look back at the number of fouls that particular ref called on Friday night. He had an impact on the game which is not a refs job.

Can anyone bring me up to speed on this And if they noticed the one ref affecting the outcome as I did?
BigCat
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jack8 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:49 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
HammerTime wrote:

He held McKay to 2 points because he wasn't on the floor very much (flu). McKay was only on the floor for 14:36 last night. Hovland is a great defender, don't get me wrong, but I'd guess McKay would have had more then 2 points if he was healthy.

How many points did McKay have in the regular season game?
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jack8 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:02 pm

Of the 8 teams that made state this year who has the best odds of making it back nexted year?
1: Four Winds
2: Shiloh
3: Parshall
4: MPCG
5: New England
6: LLM
7: Rugby
8: Oak Grove

IMO
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:09 pm

Jack8 wrote:Of the 8 teams that made state this year who has the best odds of making it back nexted year?
1: Four Winds
2: Shiloh
3: Parshall
4: MPCG
5: New England
6: LLM
7: Rugby
8: Oak Grove

IMO

FW-Minneaukan, Shiloh & Parshall could easily repeat their trips to State.

May-Port-CG & New England are 50-50...probably won't be the favorites in their region but they'll be contenders.

LaMoure-LM loses alot

Rugby has good young players but I think it's ORCS' region to lose next year

Oak Grove loses 5 key seniors but do have a lot of youthful talent...could make a run through the postseason but probably won't have quite enough to get through the gauntlet known as Region 1.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby senditin » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:57 pm

Jack8 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
HammerTime wrote:

How many points did McKay have in the regular season game?

Mckay had 15, Hiedelbaugh had 13.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:40 am

It was actually the young McCay (Tronnis) that put that game over the top in the regular season match up from what the commentators were saying....he had a fairly nice championship game too....hes going to be one to watch ... :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsphenom » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:06 pm

A few things I took away from the tournament this weekend.

1. As stated on here the reffing was sub-par. You go from a game where they let them play to a game where the whistle is blown every 5 seconds. A little consistency would be nice. I'm all for letting them play some but I witnessed a huge no call where a kid going up for a layup got crumpled into the padding under the basket. This is how kids get hurt. But then there are refs who call every little hand check- the 1st semi final game on Friday was so painful to watch.

2. Was nice to see kids perform, kids you've never even heard of but have now opened the eyes of many. I was most impressed with Olson from LaMoure and Heidlebaugh from Rugby- 2 great overall athletes.

3. Halftime entertainment was again a disappointment, as was the girls. Also a couple of the national anthems were painful to listen to.

4. The B should never leave Bismarck. I've been to all places for it and I can honestly say Bismarck is the best, hands down, Minot isn't even close. You really think Minot would have been able to hold 10,900??? I shudder to even think of how far we would have had to park in Minot....I'm guessing we would need our passports because we would have been in Canada.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sticks11 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:41 am

sportsphenom wrote:A few things I took away from the tournament this weekend.

1. As stated on here the reffing was sub-par. You go from a game where they let them play to a game where the whistle is blown every 5 seconds. A little consistency would be nice. I'm all for letting them play some but I witnessed a huge no call where a kid going up for a layup got crumpled into the padding under the basket. This is how kids get hurt. But then there are refs who call every little hand check- the 1st semi final game on Friday was so painful to watch.

2. Was nice to see kids perform, kids you've never even heard of but have now opened the eyes of many. I was most impressed with Olson from LaMoure and Heidlebaugh from Rugby- 2 great overall athletes.

3. Halftime entertainment was again a disappointment, as was the girls. Also a couple of the national anthems were painful to listen to.

4. The B should never leave Bismarck. I've been to all places for it and I can honestly say Bismarck is the best, hands down, Minot isn't even close. You really think Minot would have been able to hold 10,900??? I shudder to even think of how far we would have had to park in Minot....I'm guessing we would need our passports because we would have been in Canada.

Good points here. I agree with every one of them. We may not have needed our passports, but we definitely would have needed permission from the Air Force Base to park on their property. That would have been interesting. That first semi-final game was very painful to watch, as far as officiating. I thought some of the games were well officiated. That one, however was so different, IMO, than all the other ones. Zero flow, and it looked like all 3 of them were on a different wave-length. I don't think the B should ever leave Bismarck either.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys