2015 STATE TOURNEY

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who Wins State?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:02 pm

Four Winds-Minnewaukan
35%
Rugby
35%
Oak Grove
4%
New England
12%
LaMoure-LM
7%
May-Port-CG
2%
Parshall
4%
Shiloh Christian
2%

Total votes : 57

Re: 2015 STATE TOURNEY

Postby HammerTime » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:47 pm

I'm still surprised at how Rugby really dominated their opponents. A 41 point win in the Q-finals and a 16 point revenge win in the Semis over Oak Grove. Both the largest margins of victory of the day. If any team has made a statement going into the tourney, it's Rugby.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jimor » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:21 am

Rugbys state championship game was in the region final.
jimor
NDPreps Starter

Postby HammerTime » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:08 am

jimor wrote:Rugbys state championship game was in the region final.

That's an overstatement. Yeah, they hate OG, but Rugby knows 4 Winds. They played earlier this year and it resulted in a one point loss. The Panthers are still looking to take care of that one. Plus, you have to remember that the state championship is still the state championship. It's why Rugby hates OG. They cost them the championship. So the value is still there.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby stir the pot » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:27 am

nolan4 wrote:
bsoldiergirl wrote:WOW....10 fouls in the first 4 min. in Rugby Oak Grove game.

Well, I seen this afternoons games and second game was terribly reffed, and so far this games is, they are not letting them play at all, and i am not saying it is favoring anyone, but this afternoon it did........with that said, one coach got on the refs bad after a game, but the coach needs to look at himself, I have seen one poor coach out of the 8, and he got on the refs the worst. IMO

Did the one poor coach win his game ??
stir the pot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BB11 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:00 am

I would agree with jimor. After watching the games in the tournament and seeing teams play throughout the year - I would say Berthold, in my opinion is a better team than every team in the tournament with maybe the exception of 4Winds. They only lost 2 games the entire year and both to Rugby and both down to the wire.
Again, match-ups make a huge difference as well as the importance and meaning of the game played in the moment -but overall talent, skill, and ability as a team, Rugby is the only team this year I've seen that is better than Berthold.
I'm thinking the championship game tonight will be a dandy - but its just too bad that 80% of the state was never able to see Berthold and/or Austin Lee play ever.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby north1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:22 pm

After seeing Four Winds previous two state games I have to say IMHO Rugby has it in the bag. Four Winds is not the team I saw earlier in the season and if they don't put everything back together for tonight it might be another double-digit win for Rugby. Hate to say it because I have watched Rugby play over 15 times in the last 3 years and the arrogance of the coach and team grates on me at times. I guess when your that good it is hard to stay humble.
north1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bsoldiergirl » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:53 pm

BB11 wrote:I would agree with jimor. After watching the games in the tournament and seeing teams play throughout the year - I would say Berthold, in my opinion is a better team than every team in the tournament with maybe the exception of 4Winds. They only lost 2 games the entire year and both to Rugby and both down to the wire.
Again, match-ups make a huge difference as well as the importance and meaning of the game played in the moment -but overall talent, skill, and ability as a team, Rugby is the only team this year I've seen that is better than Berthold.
I'm thinking the championship game tonight will be a dandy but its just too bad that 80% of the state was never able to see Berthold and/or Austin Lee play ever.

As many of you may already have figured out, I am from Region 6 and my loyalty is and always will be with them. However, I do have an open mind when it comes to sports. I must admit that this year I haven't been to many away games due to illness and the first time I am seeing some of these players/teams is on TV at the state tournament. I have been so impressed with the talent of the players in the tournament and am proud to say I am a Class B BB super fan,whether I have a dog in the fight or not :!:

Along those lines, I have to agree with the statement from BB11 that's highlighted in red. Austin Lee(Berthold) is that special player that, even on his worst night, scores in the high double digits. He is so deadly from the 3 point line and does some amazing/unreal things on the court.(Plays just like Olson from LLM but attempts more/is far more accurate from the 3 point line)
No......I am not bias, I just appreciate good ND BBB talent and wish they all could be recognized on a large platform.

My picks:
OG 48 LLM 54
Rugby 66 FW 58

Go Panthers! :D
I
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:17 pm

stir the pot wrote:
nolan4 wrote:

Well, I seen this afternoons games and second game was terribly reffed, and so far this games is, they are not letting them play at all, and i am not saying it is favoring anyone, but this afternoon it did........with that said, one coach got on the refs bad after a game, but the coach needs to look at himself, I have seen one poor coach out of the 8, and he got on the refs the worst. IMO

No
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby siouxforever7 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:18 pm

north1 wrote:After seeing Four Winds previous two state games I have to say IMHO Rugby has it in the bag. Four Winds is not the team I saw earlier in the season and if they don't put everything back together for tonight it might be another double-digit win for Rugby. Hate to say it because I have watched Rugby play over 15 times in the last 3 years and the arrogance of the coach and team grates on me at times. I guess when your that good it is hard to stay humble.

Is Four Winds usually as undisciplined as they have been the last couple nights? Or is that part of what you are referring to?
siouxforever7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:35 pm

nolan4 wrote:
stir the pot wrote:
nolan4 wrote:

No

I believe the one being referred to here is the one that chased down the officials yesterday after losing their consolation game
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby LHS#1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:04 pm

Old Drifter wrote:Geebus....that Olsen kids beating 4 winds by himself...I admt I didn't pay much attention to LLM but they're for real...the dark horse that might give rugby fits...not sure if they've got the firepower to beat them though...

Olson was the sole reason why they not only made it to state, but got as far as they did. True team leader and superstar. Many fans believe they would've held off FW-M if it weren't for #22 Thielges poor shot selection throughout the game and in the closing minutes. NBA 3pt attempt should not have been the #1 option.
LHS#1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hoops247 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:13 pm

I have to say that I've read a lot of great and insightful posts on here over the years and a few comments that make me laugh and roll my eyes, but North1, your comment about the Rugby team -

Hate to say it because I have watched Rugby play over 15 times in the last 3 years and the arrogance of the coach and team grates on me at times. I guess when your that good it is hard to stay humble.

is one of the most ridiculous posts I've read. This core group of Rugby kids have represented the school and community about as well as any group of 16 to 18 year old kids ever could. When they walk off the floor tonight they will finish their career with approximately 100 wins and somewhere around 10 losses. I think your statement is one of jealousy more that anything else.

I think that if you were to ask players from other teams around the Rugby area about what they think of the Rugby players, I would be surprised if you were to get comments like arrogant or disrespectful when describing the team. Again these are kids, so they aren't perfect, but they have been great role models to the young kids from Rugby. Hopefully the teams that follow this group, regardless of their success, will continue to represent the school and community as well as this group has done.
Last edited by hoops247 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoops247
NDPreps Starter

Postby BB11 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:41 pm

Agreed with Hoops 247. I am from Region 6 area - seen Rugby play dozens of times - Class act bunch of kids without a doubt. Proud to have them represent the region.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby north1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:47 pm

If you reread my post, you will see I never said they were disrespectful. I have talked to many players, parents and coaches and they have echoed my comments. I have no jealousy, and have witnessed it first hand. Accidently walked into practice gym and will not go into what I saw and heard, but suffice to say it backs up my comments. You will also notice by my post, and previous posts I have the utmost respect for their accomplishments and their talent. So any perceived jealousy is perhaps because I ruffled your feathers a bit.

As far as Four Winds play as of late, to use a common statement "they are out of sync". In the games I witnessed their play they actually were a lot like Rugby. Their offense flowed and they knew were their teammates were or would be at all times. Their fastbreak was seamless. Their defense wasn't disjointed, and they switched off on opponents much quicker. They weren't searching for outside shots and using their bigs more. Granted their perimeter shooting has been in a funk, at least until the last part of the 4th quarter against LLM, but if they don't start out firing on all cylinders it will be another double digit win for Rugby. IMHO Rugby is just too good to let another one get away from them this year.
north1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bsoldiergirl » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:03 pm

LHS#1 wrote:
Old Drifter wrote:Geebus....that Olsen kids beating 4 winds by himself...I admt I didn't pay much attention to LLM but they're for real...the dark horse that might give rugby fits...not sure if they've got the firepower to beat them though...

Olson was the sole reason why they not only made it to state, but got as far as they did. True team leader and superstar. Many fans believe they would've held off FW-M if it weren't for #22 Thielges poor shot selection throughout the game and in the closing minutes. NBA 3pt attempt should not have been the #1 option.

Ouch LHS#1/And all those many fans to which you refer....why did you have to hit so low below the belt? It is unfair to blame the loss on #22, after all, it is a team sport isn't it :?: :?: :?:
Here are are a few things to ponder on: 1)If #22 wasn't in the game playing hard, would Olson have the opportunities he did? 2) Olson is a very gifted player, no doubt, but without teammates to help you, you are just one player. 3)To blame the loss on poor shot selection by Thielges is to say that every other player on that team made perfect decisions and made no mistakes throughout the entire game.
The outcome of a game is the culmination of good and bad plays throughout the game......however, it's the last few minutes that we tend to remember instead of all the missed free-throws and turnovers committed during the game.

Remember.....A well coached & disciplined team WILL.......Win or Lose as a TEAM and WILLNOT......Blame a teammate for losing the game :!: Or is it the fans shoveling out the blame?
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby hsfootballfan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:28 pm

If the Rugby fans were as classy as their players are, Rugby would be liked a lot more. I've never seen a fan base that whines more than theirs after every whistle. It doesn't matter if it was a good call or questionable one.
hsfootballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:17 pm

BB11 wrote:Agreed with Hoops 247. I am from Region 6 area - seen Rugby play dozens of times - Class act bunch of kids without a doubt. Proud to have them represent the region.
hsfootballfan wrote:If the Rugby fans were as classy as their players are, Rugby would be liked a lot more. I've never seen a fan base that whines more than theirs after every whistle. It doesn't matter if it was a good call or questionable one.

I agree with both these statements.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby RedDirtFan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:52 pm

I feel bad for the New England kids. They were definitely better than at least 3-4 teams in this tournament, but that opening night loss took the wind out of them.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:28 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:I feel bad for the New England kids. They were definitely better than at least 3-4 teams in this tournament, but that opening night loss took the wind out of them.

And the opening day loss didn't take "the wind" out of the other 3 teams in the consolation bracket? Each of those teams were able to come up with a win. Any of the 8 teams could beat another of the teams on a given day, whether they are better or not. Don't make excuses for the only team that didn't win a game in the tourney or talk down about any of the 7 teams that did win a game.

I'm not trying to talk N.E. down. They clearly are a nice team that made it to state from a region that has been traditionally strong for a number of years.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby EHS1998 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:49 pm

What's up with Trayvon?
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Buck » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:51 pm

Guess he was hurt. To bad we could not have seen a true game with all players healthy.
Buck
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:18 pm

10,921 fans tonight, i guess Class B is going down in popularity because of Private schools and big class B schools...........with that said, i was surprised by the crowd size, but that says alot about the Civic Center, and how nice of a venue it is, I was there for half of it, and not a bad seat in the house.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:40 pm

Buck wrote:Guess he was hurt. To bad we could not have seen a true game with all players healthy.

Looked like he was sick...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndbballfan89 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:52 pm

Had the flu - heard he was throwing up all day.
ndbballfan89
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NodakQ2 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:01 pm

ndbballfan89 wrote:Had the flu - heard he was throwing up all day.

I told my wife when the game started, "there's something wrong with Trayvon". Assumed it was his back injury from day 1. Too bad he was sick. May not have changed the outcome, but sure might have made it a more interesting game.

I saw 4-Winds play a few times this season. IMO, they didn't play up to their potential in any of the three games. They just couldn't seem to "get it going". Would've loved for the state to see a healthy Trayvon. He's fun to watch. Congrats to Rugby. They had a great tournament.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys