2015 STATE TOURNEY

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who Wins State?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:02 pm

Four Winds-Minnewaukan
35%
Rugby
35%
Oak Grove
4%
New England
12%
LaMoure-LM
7%
May-Port-CG
2%
Parshall
4%
Shiloh Christian
2%

Total votes : 57

Re: 2015 STATE TOURNEY

Postby YMCMB » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:13 pm

1st- Rugby
2nd- Four Winds
3rd- New England
4th- Oak Grove
5th- Shiloh Christian
6th- Mayport CG
7th- Lamoure LM
8th- Parshall
YMCMB
NDPreps Reserve

Postby senditin » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:42 pm

Sorry Rugby. You've been given the kiss of death by again.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HammerTime » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:57 pm

I was honestly expecting 4 winds to be a consensus No. 1. Especially after the game during the regular season. I realize that that game wasn't a clear indicator of who is better, considering it was a one point game on 4 winds home court, but still, I wasn't expecting people to predict them to win it all.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:58 pm

Rugby 74, Parshall 52
Oak Grove 61, MPCG 47
Four Winds-Minnewukan 66, Shiloh Christian 52
New England 52, LaMoure-LM 49

MPCG 51, Parshall 44
LaMoure-LM 63, Shiloh Christian 56
Rugby 58, Oak Grove 53
Four Winds-Minnewukan 68, New England 67

Shiloh Christian 63, Parshall 55
LaMoure-LM 49, MPCG 45
Oak Grove 77, New England 73
Rugby 68, Four Winds Minnewukan 59
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:37 am

Since we're getting close to tip off, here are my picks.

Rugby by 15 in a low scoring game
OG edges MPCG by 5 in another low scoring game
FWM over Shiloh by 15 in a shootout, both teams over 70
NE tops LLM in a close game, but NE height just too much

MPCG and LLM in the consolation round
Rugby gets revenge on OG in the semis and I really think FWM/NE could go either way, but I'm taking FWM

Parshall grabs 7th, LLM 5th
NE edges OG for third, and FWM takes the rematch over Rugby by 10
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NodakQ2 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:02 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Since we're getting close to tip off, here are my picks.

Rugby by 15 in a low scoring game
OG edges MPCG by 5 in another low scoring game
FWM over Shiloh by 15 in a shootout, both teams over 70
NE tops LLM in a close game, but NE height just too much

MPCG and LLM in the consolation round
Rugby gets revenge on OG in the semis and I really think FWM/NE could go either way, but I'm taking FWM

Parshall grabs 7th, LLM 5th
NE edges OG for third, and FWM takes the rematch over Rugby by 10

NDlionsfan - You match my picks to a "T" with the exception of the final game...I'm going with Rugby in the rematch. I will preface with this: I have hardly made a correct pick in Class B all year.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HighPlainsDrifter » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:06 pm

Looks like Rugby came to play: 49-12 at the half.
HighPlainsDrifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby knowledge » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:22 pm

HighPlainsDrifter wrote:Looks like Rugby came to play: 49-12 at the half.

Are we sure this is the State Tournament?
knowledge
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:26 pm

Looks like Rugby came in with a little chip on their should after they struggled in their first two games at state last year. They look tough.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby HammerTime » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:04 pm

I would not want to be on the team that plays rugby next. If any team is going to make a statement, that was it.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Piranha » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:35 pm

If the refs don't dictate the outcome tomorrow I will take rugby by 10+.
Piranha
NDPreps Rookie

Postby RedDirtFan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:42 pm

Piranha wrote:If the refs don't dictate the outcome tomorrow I will take rugby by 10+.

Who won the second game?

And why is that ref comment relevant?
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Piranha » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:45 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:
Piranha wrote:If the refs don't dictate the outcome tomorrow I will take rugby by 10+.

Who won the second game?

Oak Grove. The reffing was one sided in the championship game last year imo.
Piranha
NDPreps Rookie

Postby RedDirtFan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Piranha wrote:
RedDirtFan wrote:

Who won the second game?

Oh, it was. I'm sorry but when 3 players foul out for one team and none for the other, that's fishy. Nevertheless, Kretchman was incredible in that game. It's not like officiating decided that game.

I just thought you were saying it decided their game today, but they were definitively better, imo.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby HammerTime » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:32 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:
Piranha wrote:
RedDirtFan wrote:

Who won the second game?

Oh, it was. I'm sorry but when 3 players foul out for one team and none for the other, that's fishy. Nevertheless, Kretchman was incredible in that game. It's not like officiating decided that game.

I just thought you were saying it decided their game today, but they were definitively better, imo.

Today the reffing was a little iffy (there were definitely times they traveled and fouled), but it was like deflategate for the NE patriots. It really wouldn't have changed much in the game.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby knowledge » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:34 pm

Officiating success or lack there of will always be in the eye of the beholder. Most are bias one way or another. Control the controllable!

What I'd like opinions on is: Is Class B defense so poor (on the whole) because it isn't coached, or because the officials call it so tight? If you watch basketball in the other bordering states, much more contact is allowed, as long as it doesn't change the game. Basketball is a contact sport, just not a collision sport.

I don't want to start a heated debate, but if you compare small school ball in the surrounding states, the defense is typically much better, but more contact is allowed. Just looking for thoughts on this chicken or egg question.
knowledge
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HammerTime » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:21 pm

knowledge wrote:Officiating success or lack there of will always be in the eye of the beholder. Most are bias one way or another. Control the controllable!

What I'd like opinions on is: Is Class B defense so poor (on the whole) because it isn't coached, or because the officials call it so tight? If you watch basketball in the other bordering states, much more contact is allowed, as long as it doesn't change the game. Basketball is a contact sport, just not a collision sport.

I don't want to start a heated debate, but if you compare small school ball in the surrounding states, the defense is typically much better, but more contact is allowed. Just looking for thoughts on this chicken or egg question.

It's the refs. Just look at Rugby's defense and tell me that's not coached and they don't work on that in practice. The refs call a lot more than they should on players and don't allow a lot of contact.

On another subject, did anyone know that 75 years ago this weekend(I believe, could be wrong on the date), Rugby won the state B tournament for the first time over Mayville? I wonder why that wasn't included in the program.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HammerTime » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:51 pm

Also on the subject of refs, did anything happen to the refs from last year from the state championship? I heard rumors but I'm not sure about anything since I live so far away from the area.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RedDirtFan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:13 pm

HammerTime wrote:Also on the subject of refs, did anything happen to the refs from last year from the state championship? I heard rumors but I'm not sure about anything since I live so far away from the area.

What were the rumors? They certainly didn't decide that championship game but when a competitive game involves 3 foul outs for one team and none for the other, something went wrong.

As for Class B defense--there is no consistency from a game to game basis for how tight officiating is. Some let them play, some will land 3 touch fouls on a kid before he blinks twice. It's absurd. Players can't get comfortable because they can't trust that they won't be whistled for minor stuff that doesn't matter on any given night.

HOWEVER, this is not the result of having poor officials--this is the result of having a shortage of officials. Class B officials are so few in number that they're all overworked (full time jobs + reffing 3-4 games a week). They're trying to do the best job that they can and they all try to read the first few minutes of each game and go from there.

More people need to show interest. It's that simple. It's not a forever commitment. If you don't have a knack for it (those I've talked to say that they know if someone is cut out for reffing based on whether or not they're willing to blow the whistle during training), you don't have to keep doing it.

This would be exceptionally beneficial, not only for current officials but for fans of class B. There are too many people who don't know the actual rulebook, but sit in the stands at games and yell the silliest, most hilarious things. There are two types of entertainment at basketball games--the game itself, and fans who think they know the rules but don't.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby HammerTime » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:37 pm

I heard that they were either banned from coaching tourney games again, or they were reprimanded by higher ups, or they were paid off, and so on. I realize that they were pretty ridiculous, but I've heard so many from so many people say it that I can't help but wonder. If you have a link to an aritcle, that'd be great.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Piranha » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:44 pm

The refs did a fine job today, I just wish they would keep the calls consistent throughout the game. To answer your question knowledge, I think the refs call the game too tight. There's no such thing as playing down low anymore, a majority of the shots come from the perimeter.
Piranha
NDPreps Rookie

Postby HammerTime » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:55 pm

Piranha wrote:The refs did a fine job today, I just wish they would keep the calls consistent throughout the game. To answer your question knowledge, I think the refs call the game too tight. There's no such thing as playing down low anymore, a majority of the shots come from the perimeter.

Well, I don't know, if I was a Parshall fan, I'd say the refs affected the margin of the game.There were plenty of times where it did look like Rugby commuted some fouls. And this is coming from someone who likes Rugby.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby uspsrt » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:00 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:
HammerTime wrote:Also on the subject of refs, did anything happen to the refs from last year from the state championship? I heard rumors but I'm not sure about anything since I live so far away from the area.

What were the rumors? They certainly didn't decide that championship game but when a competitive game involves 3 foul outs for one team and none for the other, something went wrong.

As for Class B defense--there is no consistency from a game to game basis for how tight officiating is. Some let them play, some will land 3 touch fouls on a kid before he blinks twice. It's absurd. Players can't get comfortable because they can't trust that they won't be whistled for minor stuff that doesn't matter on any given night.

HOWEVER, this is not the result of having poor officials--this is the result of having a shortage of officials. Class B officials are so few in number that they're all overworked (full time jobs + reffing 3-4 games a week). They're trying to do the best job that they can and they all try to read the first few minutes of each game and go from there.

More people need to show interest. It's that simple. It's not a forever commitment. If you don't have a knack for it (those I've talked to say that they know if someone is cut out for reffing based on whether or not they're willing to blow the whistle during training), you don't have to keep doing it.

This would be exceptionally beneficial, not only for current officials but for fans of class B. There are too many people who don't know the actual rulebook, but sit in the stands at games and yell the silliest, most hilarious things. There are two types of entertainment at basketball games--the game itself, and fans who think they know the rules but don't.

When one of your best perimeter defenders and starting center spend a lot of the game on the bench in foul trouble, I would think that there are some folks who would believe that could have had an affect on the outcome.
uspsrt
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Piranha » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:03 pm

HammerTime wrote:
Piranha wrote:The refs did a fine job today, I just wish they would keep the calls consistent throughout the game. To answer your question knowledge, I think the refs call the game too tight. There's no such thing as playing down low anymore, a majority of the shots come from the perimeter.

Well, I don't know, if I was a Parshall fan, I'd say the refs affected the margin of the game.There were plenty of times where it did look like Rugby commuted some fouls. And this is coming from someone who likes Rugby.

Yeah, the calls definitely weren't perfect. I imagine the reffing job becomes much more difficult when a team is down by that much. You have to draw the line somewhere.
Piranha
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:35 am

Do we really need to have a discussion about the officials in a 39 point game? C'mon man...
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys