2015 STATE TOURNEY

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who Wins State?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:02 pm

Four Winds-Minnewaukan
35%
Rugby
35%
Oak Grove
4%
New England
12%
LaMoure-LM
7%
May-Port-CG
2%
Parshall
4%
Shiloh Christian
2%

Total votes : 57

Re: 2015 STATE TOURNEY

Postby Sticks11 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:45 am

NodakQ2 wrote:Do we really need to have a discussion about the officials in a 39 point game? C'mon man...

Yes! Thank you for saying that. I absolutely agree with you. The thing that bothers me is that the officiating topic always has to be brought up. Just like what was said earlier in this thread, there is always a biased opinion either way. In any given game, there are good calls and bad calls, both ways. To say that they are the reason a game turned out a certain way irritates me. These officials are human. They obviously make mistakes, just like the players and coaches. Until most of the people that complain about the officiating actually put on a black and white striped shirt and ref a high level game like a state tournament, maybe the opinions should have a little more perspective.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby HammerTime » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:57 am

Does anyone remember last year when Rugby barely beat New Town in OT? People said the calls really went in favor of Rugby and screwed the New Town people. And earlier that year, Four Winds got a technical when they played Rugby. In terms of officiating, I thought Parshall was called in a very similar way. Sure, Rugby eviscerated them, but there were definitely times when fouls should have been called when they weren't. Is there a pattern? Like are refs biased against natives? I realize Four Winds run this year negates a lot of that, but it seems like on the floor, they can't play decent defense and the other team can get away with pretty much murder. That's what I'm getting at. I have a serious problem with refs who are biased against native teams.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 4mrnative » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:26 am

Good lord...first day of the Class B is over, I log in to get some razor sharp assessments on what were obviously some commentary worthy contests and I am reading 2 pages of officiating convtroversy regarding a 40 point differential. wow...
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sticks11 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:28 am

HammerTime wrote:Does anyone remember last year when Rugby barely beat New Town in OT? People said the calls really went in favor of Rugby and screwed the New Town people. And earlier that year, Four Winds got a technical when they played Rugby. In terms of officiating, I thought Parshall was called in a very similar way. Sure, Rugby eviscerated them, but there were definitely times when fouls should have been called when they weren't. Is there a pattern? Like are refs biased against natives? I realize Four Winds run this year negates a lot of that, but it seems like on the floor, they can't play decent defense and the other team can get away with pretty much murder. That's what I'm getting at. I have a serious problem with refs who are biased against native teams.

That's ridiculous. Even insinuating that is ridiculous and out of line in my opinion. You're seriously saying that these certified officials are going out there to purposely take it out on a certain team or group of people? Maybe every idea that comes in our head shouldn't be put on paper. If you have that opinion, I'm sorry. However, like I said, that's ridiculous.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:35 am

Sticks11 wrote:
HammerTime wrote:Does anyone remember last year when Rugby barely beat New Town in OT? People said the calls really went in favor of Rugby and screwed the New Town people. And earlier that year, Four Winds got a technical when they played Rugby. In terms of officiating, I thought Parshall was called in a very similar way. Sure, Rugby eviscerated them, but there were definitely times when fouls should have been called when they weren't. Is there a pattern? Like are refs biased against natives? I realize Four Winds run this year negates a lot of that, but it seems like on the floor, they can't play decent defense and the other team can get away with pretty much murder. That's what I'm getting at. I have a serious problem with refs who are biased against native teams.

That's ridiculous. Even insinuating that is ridiculous and out of line in my opinion. You're seriously saying that these certified officials are going out there to purposely take it out on a certain team or group of people? Maybe every idea that comes in our head shouldn't be put on paper. If you have that opinion, I'm sorry. However, like I said, that's ridiculous.

Very well said Sticks
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby siouxforever7 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:50 am

4mrnative wrote:Good lord...first day of the Class B is over, I log in to get some razor sharp assessments on what were obviously some commentary worthy contests and I am reading 2 pages of officiating convtroversy regarding a 40 point differential. wow...

couldn't agree more
siouxforever7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Jack8 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:53 am

Sticks11 wrote:

That's the problem with this subject people don't like to talk about it. Sticks11 watch the Four Winds games with a open mind this weekend. And if you still feel the same way come Sunday then you didn't watch the games with a open mind. Sorry to say this still goes on in this day and age. Matter of fact i was at the region 8 tourney and when new town had there game with kenmare won and was shooting free throws at the end of that game some older man was hollering " now look this going to be a all prairie N word championship". I was shocked but still felt sorry for this man.
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:57 am

Yes, I agree that it does happen still in this day and age and mostly from the older generation who were brought up that way. Anybody would be naïve to say it didn't. But to say that the refs across the state are biased due to race? Again, not just saying one or two, but an entire group of different people that has reffed in every region and across a couple different state tournaments? Give me a break...
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 4mrnative » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:24 am

Couldn't agree more lionsfan. Racism, sadly, is a very real issue in our culture. But to apply the principle to the concept as "racist officiating" stretches all credulity. I get that bias can predisposition individuals to certain behaviors; but to suggest that trained and certified individuals committed to creating a fair and competitive sporting environment, are deliberately making 'racist based' officiating decisions boggles my mind...

Can someone give me a recap of the NE/LaMoure LM game?!
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Postby Edger » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:31 am

Jack8 wrote:
Sticks11 wrote:

That's the problem with this subject people don't like to talk about it. Sticks11 watch the Four Winds games with a open mind this weekend. And if you still feel the same way come Sunday then you didn't watch the games with a open mind. Sorry to say this still goes on in this day and age. Matter of fact i was at the region 8 tourney and when new town had there game with kenmare won and was shooting free throws at the end of that game some older man was hollering " now look this going to be a all prairie N word championship". I was shocked but still felt sorry for this man.

Correct, this is a difficult subject to debate. But, like Hammer, I have seen and wondered the same things even when the teams are not my own, so I have to go with him and Jacks8 on the subject. I also remember New Town Rugby 1st round game last year. Lopsided Reffing does happen, maybe at the subconscious level to be sure. Refs watch so many teams play and become familiar with many different players. They are human and its fathomable that they can become biased toward a particular team or teams (favorites) in my opinion. And, How about those Lobos? They became one of my favorites last night!
Edger
NDPreps Starter

Postby ninja_joe » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:10 pm

Friday March 20th
G1: May-Port-CG (18-7) vs. Parshall (17-8)
G2: Shiloh Christian (18-7) vs. New England (22-3)
G3: Oak Grove (22-4) vs. Rugby (23-2)
G4: Four Winds-Minnewukan (23-2) vs. LaMoure-LM (19-7)

May-Port-CG vs. Parshall
I am not sure if Parshall matches up with anyone in this tournament. Region 8 is very down this year. Parshall came out flat & looked unprepared for Rugby's uptempo break. Parshall will play a little better here. May-Port hung in there against Oak Grove for awhile. Once again, Oak Grove got the tempo they wanted & were able to take care of it. May-Port shuts down Parshall in this one. 47-37

Shiloh vs New England
New England comes off a tough loss. A game they had plenty of chances to win to be sure. Just didn't seize the opportunities when they presented themselves. Hard to bounce back from that. Shiloh played alright. Just not as good as Four Winds...who played sub-par for most of the game. New England has the better talent. Thinking Shiloh has a good chance at winning this one though. If New England actually feeds their big man (unlike last night), they will do some damage. Should be close game. Shiloh by 3.

Oak Grove vs Rugby
Parshall really made Rugby look good yesterday. They won't get as many easy run outs today. I think will be a close game. Rematch of last year's title game. Rugby seems to have a little more talent than Oak Grove & kretchman sure doesn't look right. Rubgy wins in a good game & pulls away late.

Four Winds & LaMoure-LM
Four Winds will play well tonight. LaMoure-LM plays good ball & I knew they would give New England all they wanted & then some. Much more versatile opponent tonight & on short notice. Four Winds looks tough to prepare for. Four Winds can shoot it...if they get rolling from perimeter, it will be a tough night for the Lobos. LaMoure probably will have to score tonight & I am not sure if they can keep up with Four Winds. Four Winds will probably win this one by 10+ pts. But...there is something about this LaMoure-LM team that makes you just not want to count them out.

Rugby's dominance really shined in the opening game. 4-5 dunks in one B game is something you don't see often. Parshall looked ill prepared & obviously were a little shell shocked & more than jittery. Oak Grove looks ok, but nowhere what we saw last year. Still a threat to win it though. Rugby needs to re-focus because an EASY win in round one might actually hurt them. Oak Grove is very capable. Four Winds played team ball in second half last night & looked good in that part of game. Fantastic final game. Awesome alley oop to Olson...don't remember seeing something like that in Class B state tourney before. Both teams had their chances to win/lose. Gave each other opportunities at times & made big plays too. Great game to watch. Coach Theilges made the moves that ended up giving his team just enough of an edge last night to help get the big win.

Should be another good day of basketball. Good luck to all teams!
ninja_joe
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:57 pm

I agree with most everything you said and will take all the same picks except one....I think NE rebounds from last night and plays up to their capability and handles Shiloh by 10. Both semifinal games should be dandies tonight!
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ninja_joe » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:27 pm

Congrats to Parshall on playing well in this afternoon's game against May-Port-CG....47-44. A good win. Not alot of folks gave them much of a chance of winning a game at state, including myself. Simpson is excellent & he played great today. Nice all around game.
ninja_joe
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:55 pm

My picks for the semis:

Rugby over Oak Grove by 8 and Four Winds over LLM by 12.
These could be two very good games and I think whoever determines the tempo of each game will have a decided advantage. Hopefully LLM has gotten some rest and has their legs back at tip off time or that game could be over in a hurry. If these games are any way close to the final game last night it should be a great night for Class B basketball!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby siouxforever7 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:03 pm

Sportsrube wrote:My picks for the semis:

Rugby over Oak Grove by 8 and Four Winds over LLM by 12.
These could be two very good games and I think whoever determines the tempo of each game will have a decided advantage. Hopefully LLM has gotten some rest and has their legs back at tip off time or that game could be over in a hurry. If these games are any way close to the final game last night it should be a great night for Class B basketball!

I don't know if we'll ever see one quite like that again. It's going down as one of the classics for sure.
siouxforever7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Jack8 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:37 pm

ninja_joe wrote:Congrats to Parshall on playing well in this afternoon's game against May-Port-CG....47-44. A good win. Not alot of folks gave them much of a chance of winning a game at state, including myself. Simpson is excellent & he played great today. Nice all around game.

Yes everyone on this site saying region 8 is down this year well region 8 is going for 5th place and everyone's strongest region region 7 is going for 7th.
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby RedDirtFan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:50 pm

Good for Parshall. I think they were the better team in this matchip but you never know how a team will respond to being run over the day before.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:52 pm

Jack8 wrote:
ninja_joe wrote:Congrats to Parshall on playing well in this afternoon's game against May-Port-CG....47-44. A good win. Not alot of folks gave them much of a chance of winning a game at state, including myself. Simpson is excellent & he played great today. Nice all around game.

Yes everyone on this site saying region 8 is down this year well region 8 is going for 5th place and everyone's strongest region region 7 is going for 7th.

Region 1, 3, 4 & 7 were strong...Region 6 was top heavy with 3 solid teams...while Regions 2, 5 & 8 were weaker during the season.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby bsoldiergirl » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:53 pm

WOW....10 fouls in the first 4 min. in Rugby Oak Grove game.
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby bsoldiergirl » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:54 pm

2 players with 2 fouls.........1 player with 3 fouls in 1rst quarter
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby bsoldiergirl » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:02 pm

12 fouls.....First Quarter....=UGLY Start for both Teams :!: :idea:
Double Bonus with 5 min. left in 2nd quarter??
LET THEM PLAY....Consistancy :!:
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:12 pm

bsoldiergirl wrote:WOW....10 fouls in the first 4 min. in Rugby Oak Grove game.

Well, I seen this afternoons games and second game was terribly reffed, and so far this games is, they are not letting them play at all, and i am not saying it is favoring anyone, but this afternoon it did........with that said, one coach got on the refs bad after a game, but the coach needs to look at himself, I have seen one poor coach out of the 8, and he got on the refs the worst. IMO
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby stir the pot » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:14 pm

Why are the announcers (both tv and radio ) still referring to the ( over the back foul ) is that a pushing foul?
stir the pot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bsoldiergirl » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:14 pm

First time I have ever seen a player foul out in the second quarter of a game!!!!
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby Old Drifter » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:16 pm

Whoever wins the game between rugby and Oak Grove will have the refs to thank.....
Old Drifter
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys