Early Edition Top 10 2015-16

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Early Edition Top 10 2015-16

Postby Howie » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:08 pm

They have this on the girls side, lets stir up some debate for next year!!
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Re: Early Edition Top 10 2015-16

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:38 pm

FW-M will just reload, sounds like H-CV was young.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby MTfan4life » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:10 pm

I think they had this on the girls side because it was pretty set in stone who the champion was going to be. It's quite a toss up for the boys, so no use looking forward to next season when there is still a lot of excitement left to happen.
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:55 pm

MTfan4life wrote:I think they had this on the girls side because it was pretty set in stone who the champion was going to be. It's quite a toss up for the boys, so no use looking forward to next season when there is still a lot of excitement left to happen.

I guarantee you that to one extent or another there are 91 Boy B teams that have started to think about next season. Even the 16 teams that are playing in 3rd place games have thought about how next years team will be since they have been knocked out of the tournament. Not saying they don't want to win, but there are 91 teams hoping for a better season next year.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sticks11 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:26 am

d_fense wrote:
MTfan4life wrote:I think they had this on the girls side because it was pretty set in stone who the champion was going to be. It's quite a toss up for the boys, so no use looking forward to next season when there is still a lot of excitement left to happen.

I guarantee you that to one extent or another there are 91 Boy B teams that have started to think about next season. Even the 16 teams that are playing in 3rd place games have thought about how next years team will be since they have been knocked out of the tournament. Not saying they don't want to win, but there are 91 teams hoping for a better season next year.

It's only natural. Whether the team is done playing right now or not, you look forward to next year. The players, fans, and coaches do it. I certainly don't mind having a discussion about it. That said, it'll be interesting to see what Nedrose and South Prairie bring to D11 and D12.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby wan2bqb » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:55 am

Way too early to say anything but Region 1 will be a battle again next year. Just taking a look the region qualifiers from this year and where they finished this year, and the fact it goes to a Super Regional next:

District 1
1. Hankinson- Loses both Carter and Grady Mauch but bring back a nice nucleus( Hernandez, Lenzen, N. Mauch, C. Mauch) with some talented youngsters. Depth may be a challenge but will be a tough out.
2. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood- Hardest hit in District 1 by graduation going to struggle with depth and finding a consistent scorer will go as far as Vasquez carries them.
3 and 4. Milnor-North Sargent- Probably in the best position as they continue with the Football/Girls basketball co-op and combine for all sports. Lose just 2 starters from both teams combined. Will be deep and have three all district players returning( Hanson- Olson- Marlette) these three should only make each other better. Finding a way to meld the two teams together and a coach strong enough to handle the heat that comes with combining programs while parents see their children's' role decreased will be their biggest challenge.

District 2
1 Oak Grove- Lose a strong group of seniors that has carried them to glory. Will be tough to replace but they always seem to find a way. No real stars returning but its a team game.
2- Enderlin- Bring back a strong team, with Hulburt being one of the most dynamic players in the region with a talented group of youngsters behind him. Going to be tough.
3- Northern Cass- Lose their big guys to get the boards and defensively but bring back allot of fire power. Springer and Nelson and a talented group of youngsters.
4- Central Cass- Also hit hard by graduation. Will have to find people to plug the holes but always seem to find a way. Bresnahan will be a beast next year.

Region 1 prediction:

1. Enderlin or M-NS tossup with the other being the 2.
2.?
3. Northern Cass
4. Central Cass
5. Hankinson
6. Lisbon
7. Oak Grove
8. Richland
9.W-L
10.Maple Valley
11.Kindred
12.SC
13.FCT

Way too early prediction but have fun with it.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby HammerTime » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:49 am

Top 4 in region 6 could be:
1) ORCS brings back a lot so they would be the team to end Rugby's reign over this region.
2) DL-B has a great JV team and brings back a few peices, so they could be in contention.
3) Rugby, while they lost Heidlebaugh, Miller and Bernhardt, have an incredible junior class coming up that could be a problem for a lot of teams in the region.
4) Bishop Ryan is another team that will be in the top part of the region.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:24 am

HammerTime wrote:Top 4 in region 6 could be:
1) ORCS brings back a lot so they would be the team to end Rugby's reign over this region.
2) DL-B has a great JV team and brings back a few peices, so they could be in contention.
3) Rugby, while they lost Heidlebaugh, Miller and Bernhardt, have an incredible junior class coming up that could be a problem for a lot of teams in the region.

I would guess D-A would be in the mix with their top 2 players coming back in Volson and Reinowski. Maybe not contend for the region title but should be towards the top of Region 6.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sticks11 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:15 am

ndlionsfan wrote:

I would guess D-A would be in the mix with their top 2 players coming back in Volson and Reinowski. Maybe not contend for the region title but should be towards the top of Region 6.

Yep....I agree. D-A will be a high seed, maybe even the one, heading into the District 11 tournament next year. Obviously nothing is set in stone, but they should be decent. I would like to think Glenburn might make some noise in District 12 next year.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Howie » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:14 am

The top teams in region 7 next year should be-

1. Hettinger-Scranton
2. Trinity
3. New England
4. Heart River
5. Beulah.
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby Broncos811 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:43 am

I like this list, don't get me wrong, but I would make some changes

1)Our Redeemer's - They're losing Koppinger who puts up big numbers, but they're returning a lot of height and talent, I think I've seen 5 or 6 of the returning guys put up near 20, if not 20 or more, so I think they can fill in the void lost to seniority
2)Drake-Anamoose - Obviously injury hammpered this past season but returning everybody is nice. They've got Reinowski who can be a lights out shooter and can drive too, plus 6'6" Volson who is just a beast of power inside, plus he can shoot a little too.
3)Bishop Ryan - The Returning Tyler Daws is a serious weapon, good handles, good shooter, and the Lions have some upcoming Sophomores and freshman that are pretty good. I think we'll see less out of their low post offense, losing Will and all, but I don't think their post defense will suffer too much.
4)Glenburn - I feel a little dirty putting Glenburn above teams like DLB and Rugby, but I think Glenburn will accomplish more over the summer, based on their history. 6'8" Weeks has improved so much year after year its insane, and Marquart is IMO the best point guard in the region, he could break almost any press by himself. Losing Rauschenberger may be tough for the team's depth but... I've just got a good feeling about it
5)Rugby - Look, Rugby is going to do Rugby. Big town, good JV, deep bench, well coached. It's a recipe for an above average team, even if you're losing three of the best players in the state to graduation. I would not be surprised if they far surpassed my expectations, but if they fell way below it wouldn't shock me much either.
6)Des Lacs-Berlington - I feel like this is kind of an insult to Coach Wagner, who is as good as it gets when it comes to coaching, but next year won't be their year. It'll be too hard to adjust to losing Schaefer, and they'll be just too young. They'll be good, but i wouldn't be all that surprised if they didn't make it to regionals.
Honorable mention: Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood - I don't even know if they'll be the 7th best team in the region next year, but I promise you their ceiling is very high. They could remain one the worst in their district next year, or they could have a big break out season and move to maybe a two spot here. Just a team I'd keep my eye on. My biggest concern, like DLB, is age.
Broncos811
NDPreps Reserve

Postby RedDirtFan » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:33 am

My predictions for Region 2 next season:

I didn't see some of the teams so I don't know who they're returning, so don't take it to heart if I leave a team out. It just means I didn't see them play.

Top teams:

HCV (returning a lot of players), PRFL (they'll have a very good senior class and good depth), MPCG (losing Moore will hurt but a 6'7 center who may get taller is going to be a clear advantage). I don't know who teams like HN or GCG are returning, but it never surprises me when either team is good.

Once again, Region 2 will be up in the air. Nobody's going to run away with it. The teams at the top will be different, and it won't be 9 deep again, but it'll be very interesting to see who will come out.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:44 pm

It's early, but from what I saw last season and some observations this summer I'm thinking Region 2 could look like this at the top...
1. Hills/CV
2. Thompson
3. Park River
4. MPCG
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:51 pm

Region 1 Thoughts

1. Northern Cass
2. Milnor-North Sargent
3. Enderlin

4. Central Cass
5. Oak Grove
6. Hankinson
7. Richland

8. Lisbon
9. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood

10. Kindred
11. Maple Valley
12. Sargent Central
13. Fairmount/CT
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndmn » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:41 am

would offer up the same order as RunforFun2009....will be a fun race this year to watch
ndmn
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:31 am

d_fense wrote:It's early, but from what I saw last season and some observations this summer I'm thinking Region 2 could look like this at the top...
1. Hills/CV
2. Thompson
3. Park River
4. MPCG

I agree with the top 2 Except I would personally switch them around( 1. Thompson 2. HCV)...I think teams 3-8 are all pretty even
Park River returns a lot prob rank them 3
MPCG returns some nice pieces (Chandlar, Johnson) but has a new coach/system
DVE returns everyone should be tough (Phelps is gunna be a force)
GCC returns the best big in the Region, maybe the best player
Grafton has a nice core of soph players
Cavalier nice returning outside shooters and a good group of up and comers

I think those teams 3-8 will beat up on each other pretty good.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:58 am

I had not heard of a coaching change @ MPCG... Who is the new coach?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:53 pm

d_fense wrote:I had not heard of a coaching change @ MPCG... Who is the new coach?

Not sure I had heard a Asst. from the college took it.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:58 pm

Region 1 thoughts....
1. Northern Cass
2. Milnor/North Sargent
3. Enderlin

4. Hankinson
5. Central Cass

6. Richland
7. Lisbon
8. Maple Valley

9. Oak Grove
10. Kindred
11. Wyndmere Lidgerwood

12. Sargent Central
13. F-C-T
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ChickenWing » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:34 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Region 1 Thoughts

1. Northern Cass
2. Milnor-North Sargent
3. Enderlin

4. Central Cass
5. Oak Grove
6. Hankinson
7. Richland

8. Lisbon
9. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood

10. Kindred
11. Maple Valley
12. Sargent Central
13. Fairmount/CT

NC has 2 or 3 good players. MNS has 7 or 8. MNS takes it IMO.
ChickenWing
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:47 am

I agree with the M-NS assessment. I believe getting all of them kids to come together and sacrifice for each other is going to be the biggest issue. They will have kids that don't see the floor that could be starters for many teams in the region. Jake Hanson could average 20-10-10 if they paly well. Saw them play this summer in the Courts plus leagues and they lost to Fargo Davies in the Championship. Jake was league MVP. Loaded with talent on the Junior class that may never see the court. Second best player may be a sophomore nobody has even seen yet. Might be a fun year for the Milnor- Gwinner folks. Or it may be frustrating watching all that talent trying to find their place.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby The12thMan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:30 am

I agree with the gist of what you're both saying, but I believe that even though the talent will be apparent on the MNS team, that they can't mesh within one year. Teams like Enderlin or Northern Cass have been playing together since 5th and 6th grade, so they know how to play together. Even if MNS starts to mesh this year, there's no possible way they learn to play with each other in one year, so I don't think they take region one this year.
I would also like to know who this sophomore is.
The12thMan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby d_fense » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:15 pm

The12thMan wrote:I agree with the gist of what you're both saying, but I believe that even though the talent will be apparent on the MNS team, that they can't mesh within one year. Teams like Enderlin or Northern Cass have been playing together since 5th and 6th grade, so they know how to play together. Even if MNS starts to mesh this year, there's no possible way they learn to play with each other in one year, so I don't think they take region one this year.
I would also like to know who this sophomore is.

Hmmmm.... When you talk about meshing, the biggest thing is personalities IMO. As far as that goes, I believe most of the kids out for basketball have been playing football together for years. As far as meshing playing basketball, that will take about 3 practices for players to find their spots, if that long (likely the coach already has a plan. It's not like the first practice will be the first time they will play together). Basketball is so much easier to play when you are playing with better players. The game will be easier for them than it has been in the past.

Don't get me wrong, there will be issues that will need to be delt with by the coach. They have returning starters that are now juniors who will be jv players fighting to earn varsity minutes. They have returning senior starters that will struggle to see time and the team will now have the numbers where seniors will not get jv minutes. There's no question that will be difficult for players and their parents.

The loss of Quincey M.to ACL surgery will hurt, but he will still play a huge role. As a very talented senior who will likely not have the chance to play this year, I would look for him to help keep attitudes positive and players efforts focused in pulling in the same direction.

I do think M/NS will be good this year. I don't think it will take any real "time to jell". I don't think they have 7 or 8 real good players. But, I can't think of any B school that does have that many. I do think a few kids may quit because they didn't put in enough time in during the offseason, and that's alright. I think winning cures a lot of problems.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby wan2bqb » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:31 pm

[

I do think M/NS will be good this year. I don't think it will take any real "time to jell". I don't think they have 7 or 8 real good players. But, I can't think of any B school that does have that many. I do think a few kids may quit because they didn't put in enough time in during the offseason, and that's alright. I think winning cures a lot of problems.[/quote]

I agree they will put the time in. I wasn't the one to say they had 2 or 8 real good players. I think they have 7 or 8 that would start on most teams in the region, maybe just a role players but everyone need a role. The depth they will have will make them interesting along with length which will make for difficult matchups. Lots of quality teams in the region this year. For M-NS it started in summer leagues and it will continue up until the season. Their football team missing the playoffs my be just what their basketball team needed. More time in the gym together finding their spots. And they have a month before the season starts. The kids will find their own roles based on the time they put into it. Coach Gleason from Milnor may have his handful more with the kids parents than the kids them selves, I sincerely hope not. But the best point brought up is just that " Winning cures a lot of problems".
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby The12thMan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:20 am

Well said.
The12thMan
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Boys