Mr. Basketball

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Mr. Basketball

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:45 am

NodakQ2 wrote:
d_fense wrote:
NodakQ2 wrote:I think this one will go to whoever has the Best "B" this week. Sad, but true...

Not necessarily. The award will be voted on before either of the "B" boys play tomorrow.

With that said, IMO Irwin is the best player in the State. Will he win the award? Not so sure. Heidelbaugh is a beast and could win. Kretchman is a great player, but I'm not so sure he's even the best player on his team, much less the best player in the State.

Not sure what you're saying here as Irwin isn't nominated for Mr. Bball.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:20 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
NodakQ2 wrote:
d_fense wrote:
NodakQ2 wrote:I think this one will go to whoever has the Best "B" this week. Sad, but true...

Not necessarily. The award will be voted on before either of the "B" boys play tomorrow.

With that said, IMO Irwin is the best player in the State. Will he win the award? Not so sure. Heidelbaugh is a beast and could win. Kretchman is a great player, but I'm not so sure he's even the best player on his team, much less the best player in the State.

Not sure what you're saying here as Irwin isn't nominated for Mr. Bball.

I don't know why, but all year, I've mixed up Halvorson and Irwin. I DO think Irwin (the kid from Wahp) is one of, if not the best player in the State even though he isn't a nominee. Now that you straightened me out, I have no idea who will win Mr. BB. I'll go Heidelbaugh by process of elimination. :shock:
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby east sider » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:56 pm

I'm shocked not only by McKay's absence from the list but also Irwin, and also Kretchman being nominated. Media obviously has a lot of love for his big play in big games, but if I'm building a team I probably choose his own teammate Adams over him.

I think most in the state have felt it was Hiedelbaugh's to lose this year. He has led his team back to State, and very likely could bring them to the championship. I would be very surprised if he doesn't win it handily.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:45 pm

I get confused by the Mr. BB (and Miss BB) award almost every year. I think there is a lot of media bias in these awards and every year there are very deserving players left off the nominee list. I bet if you asked the players which award means more - Mr/Miss BB or Senior Player of the Year - the vast majority of players (and probably coaches) would say the Sr. POY award means more.
Anyway, congrats to the 3 nominees, they are all very good BB players and have earned the nomination.
As for who wins, I have no idea.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby go maji » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:58 pm

east sider wrote:I'm shocked not only by McKay's absence from the list but also Irwin, and also Kretchman being nominated. Media obviously has a lot of love for his big play in big games, but if I'm building a team I probably choose his own teammate Adams over him.

I think most in the state have felt it was Hiedelbaugh's to lose this year. He has led his team back to State,and very likely could bring them to the championship. I would be very surprised if he doesn't win it handily.

Maybe it's partly due to the fact that Irwin shrunk at the state torney.

You do realize that Halvorson won a championship?
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:26 pm

go maji wrote:
east sider wrote:I'm shocked not only by McKay's absence from the list but also Irwin, and also Kretchman being nominated. Media obviously has a lot of love for his big play in big games, but if I'm building a team I probably choose his own teammate Adams over him.

I think most in the state have felt it was Hiedelbaugh's to lose this year. He has led his team back to State,and very likely could bring them to the championship. I would be very surprised if he doesn't win it handily.

Maybe it's partly due to the fact that Irwin shrunk at the state torney.

You do realize that Halvorson won a championship?

Seriously? So, if Minot had not won, Halvorson should not be considered for Mr. Basketball, correct? And, because Irwin had a bad game at state, that takes away the season/career he had? Didn't know state championships were part of the criteria for the award. Maybe because championships are for teams and individual awards are for players. Not every player has the luxury of being surrounded by enough quality players to win a championship, but should that take away from the individuals accomplishments?
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby ThreePointer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:00 pm

I am shocked at one of the nominees, but because I know he is a fine young man, I won't say which one is a HUGE surprise being nominated as these are still 18 year old GOOD young men. But why Irwin was left off is amazing. One on this blog states that he shrunk at state? Did anybody else get face guarded at state? Did anybody in the state get face guarded as much as Irwin did in the state during the year? And he still put up numbers on a good deliberate offensive team. And if he is being snubbed for average performance and the team not winning at state why are the others being nominated prior to playing at state? Why not choose the award AFTER ALL the state tourney games are complete! If this is the case base it on a career! Irwin is the All Time leading scorer at Wahpeton High School as is Christian Adams at Oak Grove. There needs to be a statewide committee formed from ALL regions of the State made up of Coaches and maybe a Don Hanson and some Collegiate Coaches who could remain anonymous. Media voting has NOT worked. Larger cities have more media and they have to be a member of the ND Sportswriters to have a voice. I hate to say it but some media members have never sweat a bead of sweat in athletics in their life. Some small towns who have great players don't have a voice. Nor do their players get seen. College Coaches and coaches see these kids. Doesn't it hurt the image of the level of basketball in our state if a Mr Basketball or Gatorade Player of the Year is ONLY getting D3 (non scholarship) looks/offers? This system is flawed and has been for a LONG time. Voices need to be heard and it changed. There are some wonderful candidates and deserving but Irwin being left off was a snub not understood and there are others deserving looking at the options provided.
ThreePointer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby nolan4 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:56 pm

ThreePointer wrote:I am shocked at one of the nominees, but because I know he is a fine young man, I won't say which one is a HUGE surprise being nominated as these are still 18 year old GOOD young men. But why Irwin was left off is amazing. One on this blog states that he shrunk at state? Did anybody else get face guarded at state? Did anybody in the state get face guarded as much as Irwin did in the state during the year? And he still put up numbers on a good deliberate offensive team. And if he is being snubbed for average performance and the team not winning at state why are the others being nominated prior to playing at state? Why not choose the award AFTER ALL the state tourney games are complete! If this is the case base it on a career! Irwin is the All Time leading scorer at Wahpeton High School as is Christian Adams at Oak Grove. There needs to be a statewide committee formed from ALL regions of the State made up of Coaches and maybe a Don Hanson and some Collegiate Coaches who could remain anonymous. Media voting has NOT worked. Larger cities have more media and they have to be a member of the ND Sportswriters to have a voice. I hate to say it but some media members have never sweat a bead of sweat in athletics in their life. Some small towns who have great players don't have a voice. Nor do their players get seen. College Coaches and coaches see these kids. Doesn't it hurt the image of the level of basketball in our state if a Mr Basketball or Gatorade Player of the Year is ONLY getting D3 (non scholarship) looks/offers? This system is flawed and has been for a LONG time. Voices need to be heard and it changed. There are some wonderful candidates and deserving but Irwin being left off was a snub not understood and there are others deserving looking at the options provided.

Are there other deserving players?? Of course, but it is a Media vote, there is a separate SPoY vote, so they should be happy with recieving that, and I believe all players are, it is the fans and parents that get upset, it is just a vote of Media, they dont hide it as something else............IMO i think SPoY is more prestigious, but Mr Basketball gets more hype, because it is a Media award, with that said, i think Heidlebaugh gets both this yr.......but i wouldnt bet on it LOL........and all other players and FANS should be happy with what they win........and the players will be , but the fans and parents may not.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby ThreePointer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:01 pm

Nolan4 I agree with allot you said but do you honestly think a young man isn't upset when they had that as a personal goal? Look at Oak Grove. Without knocking a Carter Kretchman how do you think Christian Adams feels? It shouldn't be announced PRIOR to the end of the season. I have heard media say it is based on performances at state tourneys and at past tourneys? That is WRONG! It is an individual award not a team award and on given years it has gone to players where their team didn't find success at tourney time but stats and individual accomplishments taken into consideration. They would get better representation with a committee maybe including media but they aren't in every region of our state! They are 18 year old young men. Minnesota names there winners AFTER the state tourney. I wouldn't want to be the Coach of Oak Grove and have to deal with a potential chemistry issue because of the early award. Do teams name their MVP's before the end of a season? Why Mr Basketball?
ThreePointer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby nolan4 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:21 pm

ThreePointer wrote:Nolan4 I agree with allot you said but do you honestly think a young man isn't upset when they had that as a personal goal? Look at Oak Grove. Without knocking a Carter Kretchman how do you think Christian Adams feels? It shouldn't be announced PRIOR to the end of the season. I have heard media say it is based on performances at state tourneys and at past tourneys? That is WRONG! It is an individual award not a team award and on given years it has gone to players where their team didn't find success at tourney time but stats and individual accomplishments taken into consideration. They would get better representation with a committee maybe including media but they aren't in every region of our state! They are 18 year old young men. Minnesota names there winners AFTER the state tourney. I wouldn't want to be the Coach of Oak Grove and have to deal with a potential chemistry issue because of the early award. Do teams name their MVP's before the end of a season? Why Mr Basketball?

Good points, BUT......lol, :) Under that reasoning, Then they shouldnt announce District or Region players of the year either.........most players play for and should only play for team accomplishments, and again, i think most or almost all do........IMO Adams is a better player, but apparently the Region coaches and Media dont think so, but, it is an opinion and I dont always or maybe even half the time agree with the winning decision, but that is why we all have our opinions, even in my Region (6) there was disagreement on SPoY and Heidlebaugh was (just) a co-winner......beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby ThreePointer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:51 am

nolan4 You are missing my point. Do they announce nominees for District and Regional Athlete of the years prior to their tournaments starting? They announce the Mr Basketball prior to the State Tourney. This year it happened to be the State B tourney. If it is based on State Tourney play (Which is obvious as to the nominees). Then the B had NOT EVEN started. But they had played in previous years where they were seen there. If a player has a bad B tourney they don't get judged for it because they are already in. If they have a good one they can't be put up. My other point is, it appears to be based on team accomplishments (which if two players are deadlocked on a ballot I agree with) but the media can't see good individuals if they don't get on the main stage. (State) They don't get to Linton to watch games very often but the cameras are in Fargo and papers! All players play for team accomplishments! This is suppose to be an individual award not a team award. Congrats to Brad H. on the award. Great player who played well on the big stage.
ThreePointer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ThreePointer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:44 am

Nolan4 you are correct, "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!" Then put those eyes throughout the ENTIRE state of ND in the form of a committee so the beauty can be seen not only by the major media market in cities like Fargo where the cameras are and newspapers. Can the beauty be seen in Linton ND and other parts of our state.
ThreePointer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ThreePointer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:42 am

And I will bet they were years they were in state tourneys or after where the media was able to see them. I have no ties to Linton. Just a love for ND Basketball! And I know they did have a wonderful guard there this year. Using them only as an example.
ThreePointer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby d_fense » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:14 pm

My nearest "Big City" is Fargo. For those who are not in the Fargo area, I can assure you that the "media" in this area pays very little attention to class b basketball. I think they do a pretty good job with small school football, but basketball is an after thought. Television stations don't often send cameras out to small schools when they can keep their people in town to shoot video of a NDSU, MSUM, Concordia College, or multiple Class A schools. Not to mention the MINNESOTA Professional teams. They just don't put many resources into Class B. I know that Grand Forks does a better job with WDAZ probably because they have fewer options. I'm not sure about Bismarck and Minot television, but I do think they both have local papers that put more into B schools than the Fargo Forum.

I personally think a committee would be a waste of time and effort. Who would be on such a committee? Who would want (alright I am sure on this sight many would want to be on such a committee) to take the time or even have the time to watch all the best players in the state. And then go back for second and third looks when narrowing the field down. Who would pay for transportation, lodging, meals, and other expenses? All this for a $20 trophy, 50 second interview on TV, and little notoriety that most will forget about in a hand full of years. Heck, you can't even get a group of coaches that play one another to agree on all district teams or come to a consensus on Regional Player of the Year. I don't personally think there have been any horrible selections for the Mr. Basketball award. A few years back some complained that it should have went to the young man who is attending Boise State (sp?) over the B kid who put up crazy numbers throughout his career. Whatever your thoughts were that year, the outcome was much more a product of one player missing a number of games because of injury and a debate over is it an award for career or senior year performance.

Is the system perfect? I don't think so. Is it worth messing with? Not in my opinion.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:35 pm

Here is a thought (not an original because it has been discussed before) - Why not have a Class Mr/Ms BB and a Class B Mr/MS BB? There are major differences between Class A and Class B and that usually shows up in stats. (You don't see a lot of Class A players averaging over 20 pts a game, but almost every decent team in Class B has one, etc....) Then we could all debate on which player was better - A or B - which would probably bring even more traffic to this board!
I personally would like to see it, we do it for Senior Athlete of the Year, why not for Mr/Ms BB? Then maybe the voters could be limited to those who cover that Class?
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Boys