Mr. Basketball

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Mr. Basketball

Postby go maji » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:43 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:The ones I know of:
Irwin - Minot - bb
Kvilvang - Jamestown - bb
Robbins - NDSU - football
Heidlebaugh - UND - football

Irwin and Halvorson are going to Minot for bb.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sticks11 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:48 pm

In light of this coming up right around the corner, I was interested in some stats if people could tell me, or get close. Starting with...let's say 1999 or 2000, let's just go 1999 with Jeff Brandt, up to the present day....what are the Mr. Basketball winner's stats as in ppg, rpg, apg, bpg, and spg. Just kind of curious where this year's "might-be" finalists would stand among previous winners.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby HammerTime » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:24 pm

NDbballfan-AandB wrote:
LILchump wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong...
Since Lee and Heidelbaugh are in the same region, one of those two will most likely win region athlete of the year (I'd hate to be the one picking that winner between those two). Whoever does not win region athlete between those two would be "out of the running," so to speak, for Mr. Basketball.

If they are going by career than yeah prlly heidelbaugh. But if they are going by this season it is unquestionably Lee. Even the berthold rugby matchup, if you were at the game or seen the box score, Lee showed out. They led 80 percent of the game but rugby's overall team size wore them down. Austin Lee has been without question the best player in this region his team has no one over 6'2 and he carried them to a 20-1 record. He is the best player in this region and should be a Mr. basketball candidate.

I think they really did not want to choose between them because they just gave it to both.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby noles4ever » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:34 am

Do they announce the finalists for this award tonight at the Class A's or early next week?
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:11 am

HammerTime wrote:
NDbballfan-AandB wrote:
LILchump wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong...
Since Lee and Heidelbaugh are in the same region, one of those two will most likely win region athlete of the year (I'd hate to be the one picking that winner between those two). Whoever does not win region athlete between those two would be "out of the running," so to speak, for Mr. Basketball.

If they are going by career than yeah prlly heidelbaugh. But if they are going by this season it is unquestionably Lee. Even the berthold rugby matchup, if you were at the game or seen the box score, Lee showed out. They led 80 percent of the game but rugby's overall team size wore them down. Austin Lee has been without question the best player in this region his team has no one over 6'2 and he carried them to a 20-1 record. He is the best player in this region and should be a Mr. basketball candidate.

I think they really did not want to choose between them because they just gave it to both.

All the coaches in the region vote. If they are co-SAOY it would have came out as a tie.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:46 pm

How does the list of finalists typically get communicated?
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:04 pm

EHS1998 wrote:How does the list of finalists typically get communicated?

I'm sure their will be an article written by all newspapers that can be found online...also I'll assume that Twitter will be 'a-buzzin' when the finalists are named.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby baller050 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:10 pm

If you are a finalist, you will get a call the day before the list comes out. Which would be today because I believe the list comes out tomorrow night on the news.
baller050
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:41 pm

baller050 wrote:

If you are a finalist, you will get a call the day before the list comes out. Which would be today because I believe the list comes out tomorrow night on the news.

The meeting is tomorrow night from what I've heard.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:56 pm

Candidates are:
Halverson - Minot
Hiedelbaugh - Rugby
Kretchman - Oak Grove
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sticks11 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:49 am

Baller wrote:Candidates are:
Halverson - Minot
Hiedelbaugh - Rugby
Kretchman - Oak Grove

Congrats to these guys! All have had excellent seasons and careers.

Curious....when's the last time they had only three finalists?
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:15 am

I have to admit when I first heard the list of candidates that I am shocked Trayvon McKay is not in contention. He has just as good of stats (career and this season), if not better, than Hiedlebaugh and Kretchman
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:19 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I have to admit when I first heard the list of candidates that I am shocked Trayvon McKay is not in contention. He has just as good of stats (career and this season), if not better, than Hiedlebaugh and Kretchman

Totally Agree
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby CC1983 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:35 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I have to admit when I first heard the list of candidates that I am shocked Trayvon McKay is not in contention. He has just as good of stats (career and this season), if not better, than Hiedlebaugh and Kretchman

McKay didn't even get Region 4 senior athlete. He is a great player, but not someone who should have been up for this award.
I do have a problem with the award in general, it is a senior award, but only takes into account their senior year. If you have to be a senior to win it, it should be a career award. Just my opinion.
CC1983
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sniper » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:24 am

I am surprised that Lee was not on the list.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby Edger » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:36 am

CC1983 wrote:

McKay didn't even get Region 4 senior athlete. He is a great player, but not someone who should have been up for this award.
I do have a problem with the award in general, it is a senior award, but only takes into account their senior year. If you have to be a senior to win it, it should be a career award. Just my opinion.

I don't understand this statement highlighted in red. What's your basis for your opinion? If its based on Senior Stats and winning SOY, then why wasn't Austin Lee considered?

I believe it was based on previous seasons, Last Year's state showing, for Heidlebaugh and Kretchman, but again career stats for Trayvon McKay have been just as impressive. And Austin Lee's probably were too!

I also think since there wasn't more than one outstanding candidate for class A, the powers that be didn't want to select more than two worthy class B candidates, and end up with 3 to 4 class B finalist to 1 class A. Yep, a flawed system.
Edger
NDPreps Starter

Postby CC1983 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:46 am

Edger wrote:
CC1983 wrote:

I don't understand this statement highlighted in red. What's your basis for your opinion? If its based on Senior Stats and winning SOY, then why wasn't Austin Lee considered?

I believe it was based on previous seasons, Last Year's state showing, for Heidlebaugh and Kretchman, but again career stats for Trayvon McKay have been just as impressive. And Austin Lee's probably were too!

I also think since there wasn't more than one outstanding candidate for class A, the powers that be didn't want to select more than two worthy class B candidates, and end up with 3 to 4 class B finalist to 1 class A. Yep, a flawed system.

What I meant by that statement was, if you are not considered the best in your region, how can you be considered the best in the state. And this is a senior award based on your senior season. Now that being said I do think the media does remember what happened in years before. Either they need to change the wording so that it is a career star award, or if they want to give it to the best player in a given year make it open to any age player.
CC1983
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:55 am

Edger wrote:I don't understand this statement highlighted in red. What's your basis for your opinion? If its based on Senior Stats and winning SOY, then why wasn't Austin Lee considered?

Irwin from Wahpeton needs to be mentioned. He led his small class A school to 2 state tournaments and became their all time scoring leader this year, which is no easy task in the class A ranks. Especially coming from one of the smallest class A schools.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Edger » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:16 am

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
Edger wrote:I don't understand this statement highlighted in red. What's your basis for your opinion? If its based on Senior Stats and winning SOY, then why wasn't Austin Lee considered?

Irwin from Wahpeton needs to be mentioned. He led his small class A school to 2 state tournaments and became their all time scoring leader this year, which is no easy task in the class A ranks. Especially coming from one of the smallest class A schools.

Agree. Why not him too? Not trying to dis Class A players by any means. Just trying to make sense of this award. I mean, we already have a State SOY award based on Senior year, and for me, it now seems that Mr. Basketball is reduced to purely a media like-ablity award rather than the out-standing play of these young men.
Edger
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:30 am

CC1983 wrote:
Edger wrote:
CC1983 wrote:

What I meant by that statement was, if you are not considered the best in your region, how can you be considered the best in the state. And this is a senior award based on your senior season. Now that being said I do think the media does remember what happened in years before. Either they need to change the wording so that it is a career star award, or if they want to give it to the best player in a given year make it open to any age player.

Completely different award. Coaches in the region select SPOY. That's a total of 13 votes, and I'm sure the vote in region 4 ended up 7-6 or close to that.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:47 am

It's a media award and if I were a betting man, my money would be on Kretchman winning it. With his brother winning it last year for Fargo Davies, having already won one state tournament and playing for the second one, and playing for Fargo Oak Grove, guessing the media will have a hay day with it. Just a hunch.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NodakQ2 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:08 am

I think this one will go to whoever has the Best "B" this week. Sad, but true...
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:56 pm

CC1983 wrote:

You could make a pretty good argument that Kretchman isn't even the best player on his own team. I always thought Mr. Bball was a career award and SAOY was a senior award, even though the awards are voted on by completely different entities.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:53 pm

NodakQ2 wrote:I think this one will go to whoever has the Best "B" this week. Sad, but true...

Not necessarily. The award will be voted on before either of the "B" boys play tomorrow.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:43 am

d_fense wrote:
NodakQ2 wrote:I think this one will go to whoever has the Best "B" this week. Sad, but true...

Not necessarily. The award will be voted on before either of the "B" boys play tomorrow.

With that said, IMO Irwin is the best player in the State. Will he win the award? Not so sure. Heidelbaugh is a beast and could win. Kretchman is a great player, but I'm not so sure he's even the best player on his team, much less the best player in the State.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys