2015 Region Tournaments

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2015 Region Tournaments

Postby HammerTime » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:08 pm

nolan4 wrote:The boys Region tourneys are going to be such crapshoots, Regions 1, 2, 6, 7 , are so up in the air with 3 or more teams......................Region 3 is between Linton and Ellendale.........Region 4 big upset if it is not Four Winds-Minnewauken.........Region 5 is Shiloh only??? I think so...........Region 8 is New Town...........Region strength in my opinion is this way, not best one team............Region 7, Region 6, Region 1, Region 3, Region 4, Region 5, Region 2, Region 8.

Region 6, while still up in the air, isn't a crapshoot. It's Rugby or Berthold. ORCS is should be on the upset list, but it's not a likely contender.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sticks11 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:25 am

HammerTime wrote:
nolan4 wrote:The boys Region tourneys are going to be such crapshoots, Regions 1, 2, 6, 7 , are so up in the air with 3 or more teams......................Region 3 is between Linton and Ellendale.........Region 4 big upset if it is not Four Winds-Minnewauken.........Region 5 is Shiloh only??? I think so...........Region 8 is New Town...........Region strength in my opinion is this way, not best one team............Region 7, Region 6, Region 1, Region 3, Region 4, Region 5, Region 2, Region 8.

Region 6, while still up in the air, isn't a crapshoot. It's Rugby or Berthold. ORCS is should be on the upset list, but it's not a likely contender.

I think so, too. I think 6 comes down to one of those two teams. I think 4W-M not coming out of region 4 would be a large upset. I don't think 8 is a lock for New Town.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:12 pm

HammerTime wrote:

Altho , i agree that Rugby is the favorite, i do think that Our Redeemers is in the equation, they were ahead of Berthold by 7 or 8 points with 2 minutes to play and lost by 1..........Our Redeemers has height and athleticism, but lack poise and patience.........they can go 6'9-6'6-6'4-6'3-6'2.......to me that is tough to match, Berthold is the anti OR team, lack height but no lack of hustle and basketball smarts, and Austin Lee..........Rugby, Heidlebaugh, will do whatever it takes to win, and he has a couple really good players with good athletic skills and or height......they do miss having a true point guard tho.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jack8 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:05 pm

Here are my picks
Region 1: if Oak Grove wins districts my pick will be Northern Cass and vice versa
Region 2: Cavalier unless they run into grafton if they do I will go with Hatton/Northwood
Region 3: LInton HMB
Region 4: Four Winds
Region 5: Shiloh maybe Standing Rock
Region 6: Rugby maybe Berthold if Lee is good
Region 7: New England maybe Beulah
Region 8: New Town

IMO
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:10 pm

Jack8 wrote:Here are my picks
Region 1: if Oak Grove wins districts my pick will be Northern Cass and vice versa
Region 2: Cavalier unless they run into grafton if they do I will go with Hatton/Northwood
Region 3: LInton HMB
Region 4: Four Winds
Region 5: Shiloh maybe Standing Rock
Region 6: Rugby maybe Berthold if Lee is good
Region 7: New England maybe Beulah
Region 8: New Town

IMO

Cavalier got the 1-seed, Grafton got the 7-seed...only time they'd see each other would be title game.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Jack8 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:18 pm

Thank you run in that case I will go with Grafton coming out of 2
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:57 pm

Jack8 wrote:Thank you run in that case I will go with Grafton coming out of 2

I know nothing about that Region other than it is down some and balanced, but quite a prediction, taking a 7th seed. Good luck on that prediction, if you are right, i will ask for your lotto numbers next week ;)
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:39 pm

and I bet whoever out of those 9 goes...does better at state than some think
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby RedDirtFan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:20 pm

Region 2 definitely has 9 teams that could feasibly pull it off. This could be a fantastic first year for the Super Region tournament.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:51 pm

winner-within wrote:and I bet whoever out of those 9 goes...does better at state than some think

Well then , barring upsets in other Regions, anything better than 7th will be a "better than I think" they will do job.........but one thing about boys over girls, the gap between good and not as good is closer than girls basketball. IMO.
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby bsoldiergirl » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:12 pm

nolan4 wrote:
Jack8 wrote:Thank you run in that case I will go with Grafton coming out of 2

I know nothing about that Region other than it is down some and balanced, but quite a prediction, taking a 7th seed. Good luck on that prediction, if you are right, i will ask for your lotto numbers next week ;)

Jack8.......Anything is possible! If you remember back to 1998 (I think that was the year Standing Rock won the championship) when DLB had to play-in just to make it into the district tournament and went on to take 4th place in the state tournament! That was an amazing year.

Any team, on any given day or week, can do just about anything if they play hard together as a team and always remember that anything is possible :!: .......Oh yah, a little luck wouldn't hurt :wink:
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby Broncos811 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:40 pm

Rugby is now my definite Region 6 favorites now. That wasn't the case before, I actually thought Rugby had little chance just because of what their semi final and final would look like. Berthold and Our Redeemer's most likely. Well the district games for District 12 were very telling. Our Redeemer's and Berthold looked beat up. Austin Lee looked like he was babying his ankle and his shost weren't falling. Berthold barely came away with a win over Surrey. ORCS's big men all looked like old men. Lots of limping. Not to discredit the play of Bishop Ryan who beat them and were firing on all cylinders, but I've seen those bigs a lot and they were barely getting off the floor, barely getting into people.

I think Bishop Ryan is going to win District 12 and Rugby will have an easy time playing against teams who, as they appeared to be tonight, do not deserve their ranking. And it all comes down to injuries. Even a sprain can take a lot out of a player for a long time. Too bad.
Broncos811
NDPreps Reserve

Postby OKCfan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:55 pm

Region 1---The only region I follow closely
I think everyone believes that OG will come outta this region but after the first 2 days of the District 2 tournament, it's hard to argue that Enderlin hasn't looked the most impressive....a 29 point win in the first round, followed up by a 14 point win over Northern Cass in the semis. Hurlburt has improved his overall game alot from last year. He has a superb mid-range game and is a surprisingly good rim protector for the Eagles. If they continue getting their role players (Anderson, Lindgren, and Gillund) to score and defend as well as they have their past 2 games, look out. But we all know that teams that live by the 3......
OKCfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby kingjames101 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:23 pm

Here's how I see region 2. All above average to average teams playing average ball right now. It's March Madness n upsets will happen n others will say I figured that would happen. This region will come down to which coach gets the best five players on court to score the points giving them the best chance to play above average ball when most of these teams are playing average. That could be going with different lineup from what was used all season. If n I said if Grafton meets Cavalier again I feel Cavalier pulls it out with a tight dog fight of smart fundamental ball. Park River is no easy match up for any team either. This is a toss up for this region.
Which team plays above average ??????? If u know tell me!!!!! I will give u my thoughts on which team does this on March 12th @ 10 pm central time. :lol: I think I will do Rock Paper Scissors!!!!
One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Broncos811 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:49 pm

Broncos811 wrote:I think Bishop Ryan is going to win District 12

Well I was wrong about this. I still like Rugby because they're only going to have to play one of either Our Redeemer's or Berthold as opposed to what I originally expected which is them playing both.
Broncos811
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Old Drifter » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:58 am

I'm a region 8 fan and I too thought new town was a shoo-in for the district and more then likely, the region titles but parshall just beat em in the district title game. I wasn't there so I don't know if injuries, reffing, etc were factors in parshalls favor. Anyone there who can give a short summary? Also...if this wasn't a fluke win for parshall, they could conceivably beat new town again for the region title. No disrespect intended for district 16 but I don't think there's a team capable of beating either new town/parshall if both are hitting on all cylinders. On an interesting note, this win puts parshall into very strong contention for the region title (again, if it wasn't a fluke win) and the parshall lady-Braves beat watford city/Katy mogen for region 8 honors and are in the state tournament. Has any other small town had both boys and girls in state? And can someone give me info about any district 16 regional contenders?

EDIT: just saw kenmare has a decent record and has beaten parshall.
Old Drifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby RedDirtFan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:36 am

kingjames101 wrote:Here's how I see region 2. All above average to average teams playing average ball right now. It's March Madness n upsets will happen n others will say I figured that would happen. This region will come down to which coach gets the best five players on court to score the points giving them the best chance to play above average ball when most of these teams are playing average. That could be going with different lineup from what was used all season. If n I said if Grafton meets Cavalier again I feel Cavalier pulls it out with a tight dog fight of smart fundamental ball. Park River is no easy match up for any team either. This is a toss up for this region.
Which team plays above average ??????? If u know tell me!!!!! I will give u my thoughts on which team does this on March 12th @ 10 pm central time. :lol: I think I will do Rock Paper Scissors!!!!

Grafton has to escape round 1. They'll probably roll DVE but they'll run into a south team, and that's where they've run into trouble. PR has to escape their play-in against Larimore tomorrow night and that's going to be tough. Whichever team comes out of that game will give Cavalier a good fight in round one. I think PR is more likely to pull off an upset, but only if they can avoid their cold spells, offensively.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jack8 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:31 am

Old Drifter I was at this game. Parshall was the better team New Town had a 10 point lead at the half and went cold the second half. They just stopped feeding the Grady twins for some reason. I picked New Town to come out of this region but after tonight i dont know Parshall looks to have there number this year. On the other side Parshall does have to play Ray in the first round there will be a lot of support for Ray that night and Watford city the nexted night. Watford city looks good and last if New Town and Pharshall make it to the finals anything can happen. Just like the Parshall girls showed against Watford City girls it is hard to beat a good team 3 times in a season.
Old Drifter wrote:I'm a region 8 fan and I too thought new town was a shoo-in for the district and more then likely, the region titles but parshall just beat em in the district title game. I wasn't there so I don't know if injuries, reffing, etc were factors in parshalls favor. Anyone there who can give a short summary? Also...if this wasn't a fluke win for parshall, they could conceivably beat new town again for the region title. No disrespect intended for district 16 but I don't think there's a team capable of beating either new town/parshall if both are hitting on all cylinders. On an interesting note, this win puts parshall into very strong contention for the region title (again, if it wasn't a fluke win) and the parshall lady-Braves beat watford city/Katy mogen for region 8 honors and are in the state tournament. Has any other small town had both boys and girls in state? And can someone give me info about any district 16 regional contenders?

EDIT: just saw kenmare has a decent record and has beaten parshall.
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:50 am

Old Drifter wrote: On an interesting note, this win puts parshall into very strong contention for the region title (again, if it wasn't a fluke win) and the parshall lady-Braves beat watford city/Katy mogen for region 8 honors and are in the state tournament. Has any other small town had both boys and girls in state?.

I think turtle lake did it a few years back as well as linton
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby kingjames101 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:24 am

Park River can be a serious team I will agree with that for this reason. If Johnson gets soft defense he can stroke it 3ft behind line. Park River is a big sized team that can cause issues to teams. Big factor is Park River has yet to put together a complete game n if they can fire on all cylinders for 4 qtrs they probably should win.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RedDirtFan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:33 am

kingjames101 wrote:Park River can be a serious team I will agree with that for this reason. If Johnson gets soft defense he can stroke it 3ft behind line. Park River is a big sized team that can cause issues to teams. Big factor is Park River has yet to put together a complete game n if they can fire on all cylinders for 4 qtrs they probably should win.

There are two things they have to avoid--cold spells on offense and foul trouble. If they do that they'll play with anyone.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby kingjames101 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:12 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:
kingjames101 wrote:Park River can be a serious team I will agree with that for this reason. If Johnson gets soft defense he can stroke it 3ft behind line. Park River is a big sized team that can cause issues to teams. Big factor is Park River has yet to put together a complete game n if they can fire on all cylinders for 4 qtrs they probably should win.

There are two things they have to avoid--cold spells on offense and foul trouble. If they do that they'll play with anyone.

I have noticed they have foul trouble that plays a huge roll in outcome of game with them. It seems as if they struggle to get flow going together but seems they are still tring to find each other's rolls also so that explains it I think.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RedDirtFan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:27 pm

kingjames101 wrote:
RedDirtFan wrote:

I have noticed they have foul trouble that plays a huge roll in outcome of game with them. It seems as if they struggle to get flow going together but seems they are still tring to find each other's rolls also so that explains it I think.

Yeah, they struggled early on because, outside of Johnson, the other kids had to figure out the best way that each of them could contribute. Omlie and Dobmeier have settled in as great defenders. Beneda and Rehovsky have really hit the boards. Moe scores in the paint. Ruzicka rebounds and defends well with his height. Their season turned a corner once they could settle into certain positions.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:15 pm

DVE could give Grafton a fit tonight....I remember early in the season a certain someone on here said

by RedDirtFan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:57 am

Who are some teams in your area who could suprise and be better than expected?

I'll take Region 2:

"This is a long shot, but if Valley/Edinburg can get decent play out of the players surrounding Phelps and Larson, two of the best players in the region, they could develop into a very good team"

:wink:
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:20 pm

I saw them play here late at times they could play decent ball and especially if they were hitting the outside shot it just made them much more effective in the middle. I was wondering about Northborder too if they could pull upset seems like Northborder always show up at tournament time. Also Thompson seems like they have been fading lately and they are young which makes them prone for upsets.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys