Super Region

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Super Region

Postby winner-within » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:05 pm

I know its early but

thoughts so far from region 2 fans, players, refs, coaches etc etc

I will chime in as it goes with my thoughts

Pros, Cons if any, or just general input

Region 7 or any other region that its coming to...feel free to give input
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: Super Region

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:10 pm

I like the super region format. It makes every single regional game meaningful. It give you 2 extra games (Regions with super region format get 21, compared to the normal 19) to go play out of region competition. I also like the play in game format that allows for teams with better seeds to host a tournament game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Region 1 will go to this format next year with the coop of Milnor & North Sargent starting up for both BBs & VB...13 teams for those sports.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:27 am

Its a good format IMO....its an expansion in itself to ND Class B sports involved in it.... in a different way of lets say a shot clock or halves or 3-pointer.....it tells the coaches and players that its crucial to concentrate on victory ....the expansion is (IMO when I use this term) the districts dissolve per say and we know they were somewhat unnecessary for at least the last 5 years maybe 10 in NEast ND....so with that said I can feel the openness...in other words I think its a smoother transaction from season to tournament (regions) to State tourn....
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sniper » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:29 pm

I like having district tournaments better than the super region. It seems like the high school players like the district tournaments, at least the ones I have been around do. I also thought district tournaments were fun to play in as well.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:14 pm

Sniper wrote:I like having district tournaments better than the super region. It seems like the high school players like the district tournaments, at least the ones I have been around do. I also thought district tournaments were fun to play in as well.

District tourneys are fine for those districts that have enough teams in it.

Many regions that have the super-regional format have districts that are at 6 and those district tourneys are kind of a waste to play out. The nice thing about the super-regional format is that you can't lose the first game and still have a chance to go to State...you have to win out the tourney games to earn that spot.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:38 pm

I agree on the District Tournament being a waste of time in some Districts. The last couple of years we played 3 nights (9 games) to eliminate 1 team. (And it was the 5th place team both years that was eliminated) Seemed like a lot of time and money (officials, travel, etc...) to eliminate the team that came in last during the regular season. Still not 100% sold on the Super Regions, but I am warming up to it.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:48 pm

Could still keep the district format and still have the super-region format...much like MN does with Sub-Sections and then one Section Championship (or in ND case...one team from each District playing for title).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby HammerTime » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:59 pm

I think it would be interesting. If you had 14 teams in a region, you could keep the districts and at the end f the regular season have the two best teams in each district play for a first round bye at the school with the better record. Basically, the final game of the year would be an open slot. The other teams not in the district championship would play the team in the other district with the same rank. Then the big tournament would start and the first four games would start at the higher seeds school and the two teams that earned a bye would wait it out. The remaining 8 would go to the neutral site where the tournament is played.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sticks11 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:28 am

Hard to say what it should or shouldn't be. I'd like to see it the way Run described it. You'd still keep kind of the same district format, but also have the super regional tourney. However it's done, I do think it's a step in the right direction right now for those districts.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:33 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Sniper wrote:I like having district tournaments better than the super region. It seems like the high school players like the district tournaments, at least the ones I have been around do. I also thought district tournaments were fun to play in as well.

Many regions that have the super-regional format have districts that are at 6 and those district tourneys are kind of a waste to play out. The nice thing about the super-regional format is that you can't lose the first game and still have a chance to go to State...you have to win out the tourney games to earn that spot.

but there aren't many regions in the format (2 total)... :) just pointing that out Run
and Region 1 is going to do it starting next season they actually have 14 the only other region with 14 teams (7 in each dist like region 1) is region 3...
all the rest have 13 teams with like you stated 6 in one of the districts...but I dont think the 6 in a district thing is the main factor in eliminating the district tournament....I would say the 2 extra games and everybody plays at least once over rides the number of teams in a district...
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:54 am

scc wrote:If the district tournaments remained single-elimination with a possible challenge game, none of this so-called "Super Region" would be necessary. District 4, for example, had only six teams, and often times Grafton had the home floor for the tournament. Playing a bunch of games to retain four out of six teams no longer made sense, plus the new region format allows other schools to potentially host a postseason game. Is this new solution the best one? I don't think so, but it's better than having a double-elimination district tournament.

I agree...
also there was a day when only 2 teams went out of 8 and the host team had a huge advantage...My era.. :x
haha
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:33 pm

winner-within wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

but there aren't many regions in the format (2 total)... :) just pointing that out Run
and Region 1 is going to do it starting next season they actually have 14 the only other region with 14 teams (7 in each dist like region 1) is region 3...
all the rest have 13 teams with like you stated 6 in one of the districts...but I dont think the 6 in a district thing is the main factor in eliminating the district tournament....I would say the 2 extra games and everybody plays at least once over rides the number of teams in a district...

4, next year, if you include Volleyball (Regions 1, 2, 4, 7)...and with so many going to it I feel it won't be long until every region is in the super-region format (Region 6 & 8 might be able to hold out the longest).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:15 pm

yes its coming.....will there come a day when there might only be 7 or 6 regions?

not that I'm hoping so but with A schools getting bigger and the flocking of people moving to the bigger citys and the ups and downs of the oilfields?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:56 pm

I like the super region format, mainly because of the opportunity it provides to play some other teams. And in my opinion, the districts have become useless. All you do is play teams again that you played in the regular season. If the district went back to one and done I might be able to stomach them. It would put the emphasis back on winning every night you play in the tournaments, and also helps out underdogs that do pull an upset in the first round. They are rewarded for their upset by the elimination of the favorite that they beat plus they move on to the next round.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoops247 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:18 pm

I don't have a strong option either way (districts vs. super-region) but I hope the NDHSAA doesn't force everyone to go to a super-region. In the case of Region 6; they have had 16 teams (8 in each district) for several years. This year they are down to 14 teams (7 in each district), but I believe they will be back up to 16 again next year with the addition of Nedrose and South Prairie. If that region was forced to go to a super-region that would immediately lock in 15 games on their schedule. If a team was already playing a regular season tournament and didn't get out there's 3 more games. Now you've got 18 games scheduled. During those years when a team is strong, it doesn't give them much of an opportunity to go out and schedule some quality competition outside their area.

I realize this scenario doesn't affect very many regions anymore, but for the one or two that it does it would be nice that they get to decide their post-season format on their own and not be forced into a super-region by the state in my opinion.
hoops247
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:05 pm

hoops247 wrote:I don't have a strong option either way (districts vs. super-region) but I hope the NDHSAA doesn't force everyone to go to a super-region. In the case of Region 6; they have had 16 teams (8 in each district) for several years. This year they are down to 14 teams (7 in each district), but I believe they will be back up to 16 again next year with the addition of Nedrose and South Prairie. If that region was forced to go to a super-region that would immediately lock in 15 games on their schedule. If a team was already playing a regular season tournament and didn't get out there's 3 more games. Now you've got 18 games scheduled. During those years when a team is strong, it doesn't give them much of an opportunity to go out and schedule some quality competition outside their area.

I realize this scenario doesn't affect very many regions anymore, but for the one or two that it does it would be nice that they get to decide their post-season format on their own and not be forced into a super-region by the state in my opinion.

I understand the point you are trying to make but you have your facts wrong. When teams move to the super region they are allowed to play 3 more regular season games, giving them 21. They only need to play their region opponents once. So if Rugby was playing in a Super-Region this year they woulda had to schedule only 13 region games giving them 8 games to play anyone that they want. Almost opposite of what you were saying. I do not think the state will make everyone go to the Super-Region format as long as school numbers in the Regions stays around 15.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:18 pm

packers21 wrote:
hoops247 wrote:I don't have a strong option either way (districts vs. super-region) but I hope the NDHSAA doesn't force everyone to go to a super-region. In the case of Region 6; they have had 16 teams (8 in each district) for several years. This year they are down to 14 teams (7 in each district), but I believe they will be back up to 16 again next year with the addition of Nedrose and South Prairie. If that region was forced to go to a super-region that would immediately lock in 15 games on their schedule. If a team was already playing a regular season tournament and didn't get out there's 3 more games. Now you've got 18 games scheduled. During those years when a team is strong, it doesn't give them much of an opportunity to go out and schedule some quality competition outside their area.

I understand the point you are trying to make but you have your facts wrong. When teams move to the super region they are allowed to play 3 more regular season games, giving them 21. They only need to play their region opponents once. So if Rugby was playing in a Super-Region this year they woulda had to schedule only 13 region games giving them 8 games to play anyone that they want. Almost opposite of what you were saying. I do not think the state will make everyone go to the Super-Region format as long as school numbers in the Regions stays around 15.

No, he was right with his numbers. If you are in a region with 16 teams and you had to play everyone, that would give you 15 plus if you are a annual commit to a Tourney it would put you up to 18 games. Most teams try scheduling their closest two or three rivals for two games. That puts you at your max of 21. Which is 2 games more than teams are currently allowed, not 3. It doesn't give teams that want to go out and find stiffer competition a good opportunity to do so without messing with a number of other teams schedules. I would like it if we could play as many games as they allow Minnesota teams.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoops247 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:22 pm

No, I think you're missing my point.

NEXT year a Region 6 team would have to play FIFTEEN region games. Add in a tournament and you are up to EIGHTEEN games. Yes, I realize that you have a 21 game schedule when you are in a super-region, which mean you now have THREE games left to fill. If you do decided to go outside your area for competitive you would have to drop a game or two that might be against a neighboring school that is in a different region or drop those natural rivals.

Regardless, my point is that I hope the state never forces a region into a super-region.
hoops247
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:26 pm

hoops247 wrote:No, I think you're missing my point.

NEXT year a Region 6 team would have to play FIFTEEN region games. Add in a tournament and you are up to EIGHTEEN games. Yes, I realize that you have a 21 game schedule when you are in a super-region, which mean you now have THREE games left to fill. If you do decided to go outside your area for competitive you would have to drop a game or two that might be against a neighboring school that is in a different region or drop those natural rivals.

Regardless, my point is that I hope the state never forces a region into a super-region.

They don't have to play in the CNDC they choose to if they wanted to fill those 3 games with harder competition they could.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoops247 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:43 pm

Yes Packer, I get that. I'm not trying to win an arguement here, geez. I'm just stating my points on why I would prefer the NDHSAA not do away with district tournaments.
hoops247
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:50 pm

If each district in the region has 7 or more teams I have no problem with district tournaments. If districts have 6 or fewer teams they should go to Super Region. Just my opinion
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:06 pm

and also with 3 teams in the top ten from Region 6 I dont think you have to go to far to find competition for years to come....and you certainly dont want to travel to, or host Minnesota IMO ....it stinks to get injuries from a game with a team from another State...its rarely quality play also...
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:09 pm

winner-within wrote:and also with 3 teams in the top ten from Region 6 I dont think you have to go to far to find competition for years to come....and you certainly dont want to travel to, or host Minnesota IMO ....it stinks to get injuries from a game with a team from another State...its rarely quality play also...

I disagree with the statement above. Teams in the Region 7 area have 2 quality SD teams they could play in Harding County and Faith. Always a good brand of basketball when you play those two.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:46 am

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:and also with 3 teams in the top ten from Region 6 I dont think you have to go to far to find competition for years to come....and you certainly dont want to travel to, or host Minnesota IMO ....it stinks to get injuries from a game with a team from another State...its rarely quality play also...

I disagree with the statement above. Teams in the Region 7 area have 2 quality SD teams they could play in Harding County and Faith. Always a good brand of basketball when you play those two.

I would believe that I've played in SD (a lot like ND)....I was referring to our options... MN or Canada
usually disaster....sometimes a good game takes place but rarely IMO
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys