Which teams are the real deal this year?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Which teams are the real deal this year?

Postby packers21 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:52 pm

HammerTime wrote:
grunt4188 wrote:Watch out region 7 the big red machine has just woke up!!!!!!!!!!

You sound like it's a warning. Region 7, even with Beulah's win over Rugby, isn't strong compared to others. From what I've heard, Dickinson Trinity and New England are pretty much that region's best shot at a title. I wouldn't put them past the winners of Regions 1,4 and 6. Seems pretty late in the season for a "wakeup." I'm pretty sure Four Winds, Oak Grove, Northern Cass, North Star and Rugby could handle those two teams.

HammerTime you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Go watch some of these other teams play before you go on some rant about them.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby HammerTime » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:06 am

packers21 wrote:
HammerTime wrote:
grunt4188 wrote:Watch out region 7 the big red machine has just woke up!!!!!!!!!!

You sound like it's a warning. Region 7, even with Beulah's win over Rugby, isn't strong compared to others. From what I've heard, Dickinson Trinity and New England are pretty much that region's best shot at a title. I wouldn't put them past the winners of Regions 1,4 and 6. Seems pretty late in the season for a "wakeup." I'm pretty sure Four Winds, Oak Grove, Northern Cass, North Star and Rugby could handle those two teams.

HammerTime you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Go watch some of these other teams play before you go on some rant about them.

You have no clue how I rant. I, at least I thought, was injecting my ignorant opinion for conversation. Now I could go on and on about how the structure of a rant differs from what I posted, but that would be a waste of everyone's time. This forum is a forum, right? Forums are about sharing opinions. And also I might have been a little annoyed about the way he posted that, I mean all he said was just a statement. Nothing to back it up, bad grammer (not that mine's perfect.), and just too many exclamation marks. And before you say I ranted, I am not angry at anyone or about anyone.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:13 am

HammerTime wrote:
packers21 wrote:
HammerTime wrote:

You have no clue how I rant. I, at least I thought, was injecting my ignorant opinion for conversation. Now I could go on and on about how the structure of a rant differs from what I posted, but that would be a waste of everyone's time. This forum is a forum, right? Forums are about sharing opinions. And also I might have been a little annoyed about the way he posted that, I mean all he said was just a statement. Nothing to back it up, bad grammer (not that mine's perfect.), and just too many exclamation marks. And before you say I ranted, I am not angry at anyone or about anyone.

How many teams from what is probably the strongest region in the state, which obviously you dont agree with, have u seen play? Im guessing DT and Beulah bc one played Rugby and one played before Rugby in Minot. I just dont understand how u come on here and post about teams you have never seen play and Im guessing you couldnt name a single player from. Atleast u woke up some about Berthold.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby brucenies@yahoo.com » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:14 am

What's the comment their are 6 teams that could win that region, what are you smoking? Their are 2! Linton and ellendale and we seen that game two nights ago! Second I'm completely aware of how good rugby is and they certainly could win state! Who made the comment that region seven won't be competitive at state? Hands down the most competitive region! Hands down! At least 5 deep! Region 6 is good but not as deep. I'm not bypassed being a graduate of Bismarck high! I take it for what it is so guys think with your head and not your heart! That's being fair! I enjoy class b because their are many more teams than class a and much more controversial! I'm just having fun with you guys so don't take it personal!!!
brucenies@yahoo.com
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfbfan70 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:24 am

I think there are at least 6 teams in region 3 that could win it and another with an outside shot. Will be one of the more competitive regional tourneys in the state this year, should be fun to watch.

Strasburg
Linton
Ellendale
Oakes
Lamoure
Carrington
Kidder County(being the outside shot)
ndfbfan70
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsphenom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:45 pm

ndfbfan70 wrote:I think there are at least 6 teams in region 3 that could win it and another with an outside shot. Will be one of the more competitive regional tourneys in the state this year, should be fun to watch.

Strasburg
Linton
Ellendale
Oakes
Lamoure
Carrington
Kidder County(being the outside shot)

Those are exactly the 6 I was thinking. Obviously Bruce is not a Region 3 fan. But we will have the tournament do the talking. Region 3 will be the toughest Region tournament come March, can't wait to watch.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby brucenies@yahoo.com » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:50 am

Right I know absolutely nothing about region 3. When was the last time someone went to state in that region that wasn't Linton or lamoure. What's Linton's record in that region. Your gasping for air if you think some of those teams have a chance! Realistically Linton, ellendale are 1and 2, strausburg would be the 3rd BUT let's not lose the picture!
brucenies@yahoo.com
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:07 am

nothing is cut and dried in this world......a better question to ask is
When was the last season in Class b ND that there were no undefeated teams at this point in the season
its like, who'd a thunk HWcounty would beat NS last night
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby the old guy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:34 am

Happened to attend the HWC and Northstar Game last night. Northstar losing Weston really hurts their team, but HWC is 12-4 with 3 losses coming to Rugby 2x and Four Winds, Northstar also has losses to Rugby, Four Winds, and Dunseith.
the old guy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:11 am

yes, it looks like Kvilvang has a big task most nights with the real good teams
HWC looks well (no pun) rounded with 3 in double figures and 2 with 9 each
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby uspsrt » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:33 am

winner-within wrote:yes, it looks like Kvilvang has a big task most nights with the real good teams
HWC looks well (no pun) rounded with 3 in double figures and 2 with 9 each

I saw the HWC game against Rugby at Rugby (They also lost to Rugby in the CND tournament in Harvey) and was impressed with them. Although they fell behind Rugby 28-3 in the first quarter they played them fairly even through the last three quarters. I had a feeling that they had a chance against North Star. They are well balanced and can shoot the three's really well.
uspsrt
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sticks11 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:00 pm

HWC winning that one doesn't surprise me a lot. They're a decent team. I think they match up with North Star pretty well. Andrew Alveshere is a good player. He does a lot for them. But, they have other guys that play well. Fike and Kourajian have the ability. It looks like Payton Granger has continued to get better throughout the year.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby DukeFan5 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:27 pm

Does Oak grove have any chance at repeating? I just keep seeing them lose games. I know they are to Minnesota teams so I'm just wondering if anyone else has any input?
DukeFan5
NDPreps Rookie

Postby go maji » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:42 am

With the exception of Hawley, all are lesser Minnesota teams. But still, a top team wouldn't lose to them by 27. And OG only beat Perham (who is 9 and 13) by 1.

IMHO I think someone else wins it.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:06 am

Minnesota Basketball is a different 'brand'...especially Heart O' Lakes Basketball (Hawley, Barnesville, & Perham). Hawley is the favorite to go to state in Section 8AA and Barnesville (& Breckenridge) is/are the next most likely team(s). Perham just received two transfers that will put them in contention in that Section also.

The thing about the Hawley game...that was Oak Grove's First game of the season while Hawley already had 5 games under their belt...not too mention Hawley's starting lineup is a dream lineup for many schools (ND or MN).

Realize this about Hawley: Wahpeton def. Breckenridge 74-73 this year; Hawley has defeated Breckenridge twice this year by about 10-15...so under this comparison Hawley would be the equivalent to a top Class A school in ND.

Hillcrest Lutheran would likely be a team going to state in MN this year if it weren't for Battle Lake in their Section.

Oak Grove has lost to quality opponents this year whose records are combined MN: 54-11; ND: 15-2; Total 69-13.
Barnesville (17-5) L 71-78...tied 71-71 with 2 to go in game.
#10A Hillcrest Lutheran (18-3) L 46-57...was not the finest shooting nights for OG...HLA's size was just too much
Hawley (19-3) L 55-82...first game of the year...Hawley starting 5 is unreal compared to ND starting lineups (not sure how they aren't ranked yet)
#10 Northern Cass (15-2) L 76-77 2OT...classic 'B' game...NC shot ball really well

In the end...Oak Grove is definitely good enough to make it to State again this year. There are plenty of solid teams across the State this year and plenty of team capable of winning it all. First things first - teams have to make it out of regions...then its really about the seeding and the matchups. If Oak Grove can better themselves on the defensive end then they have a decent shot at repeating...but in the end once the State Tournament starts...everyone has a chance!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby justplayalready » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:04 am

Run is correct on the HOL MN teams...the better HOL teams would be comparable to a ND small A.

Back in my day the MN 6A teams would play the MN 8AA(the old 2 class) regularly...The Breck/Whap holiday tourney also had a a few ND A's mixed in...These 6A teams were no slouch. The year my town won MN 8AA(inlcuded Moorhead and St Cloud Schools) one of their losses was to Pelican(they were the 6A and State Champ that year)...Staples had a team in the late 80's when MN tried a 16 team single class tourney that was close to winning it all...

These were all upperclassman dominated teams and were 6-7 deep versus the MN AA and ND A's that were upperclassman 8-10 deep...they did roster sophomores, but seeing one start was rare.

I'm not trying to slight ND basketball at all here, but as a whole the top 2-3 ND's B's would be at best high-middle of the HOL type teams
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby leroybla » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:30 am

I think OG could win Region 1 this year, but both Northern Cass (15-2) and Central Cass (14-3) will challenge. If they do get through R1, I believe OG lacks both the defense and depth needed to repeat. Tall opponents will be a problem for them.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:42 pm

brucenies@yahoo.com wrote:What's the comment their are 6 teams that could win that region, what are you smoking? Their are 2! Linton and ellendale and we seen that game two nights ago! Second I'm completely aware of how good rugby is and they certainly could win state! Who made the comment that region seven won't be competitive at state? Hands down the most competitive region! Hands down! At least 5 deep! Region 6 is good but not as deep. I'm not bypassed being a graduate of Bismarck high! I take it for what it is so guys think with your head and not your heart! That's being fair! I enjoy class b because their are many more teams than class a and much more controversial! I'm just having fun with you guys so don't take it personal!!!

Pretty strong Region 3 prediction when one of those teams didn't even win the District regular season. :shock:

I would say that Ellendale and LInton are the favorites but don't count out Carrington (Beat Ellendale in the regular season District Game) and LaMoure (who hasn't had the best regular season, but would be they will be there at tournament time) Plus, the other three teams mentioned below could beat anyone on a given night. This may not be the "best" region in the State but it is going to be a very competitive one.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby grunt4188 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:38 pm

A few weeks ago I put together how I thought the power rankings were.

1. Four Winds
2. Rugby
3. Oak Grove
4. Linton
5. New England
6. North Star (without Weston - with Weston back higher to 3)
7. Our Redeemers
8. Shiloh
9. Berthold
10 Central Cass
11. Heart River
12. Ellendale
13. Northern Cass
14. Hankinson
15. Hatton Northwood

People disagreed with me on some of the picks which is good. I thought I was fairly close at the time. If I were to pick again today I would go as follows.

1. Four Winds
2. Rugby
3. Linton
4. Oak Grove
5. Berthold
6. New England
7. Our Redeemers
8. Northern Cass
9. Dickinson Trinity
10. North Star
11. Shiloh
12. Ellendale
13. Hankinson
14. Carrington
15. Beulah
Some of the reason for my picks are as follows. First Linton was moved to third for they are playing good basketball right now. I was told one kid is averaging 65 +% from the field for the year and as a team they are playing some good D. If they match up size wise they will be tough to beat. That's why I moved them up ahead of Oak Grove. I'd pick them in Region Three but Ellendale and Carrington will challenge. Not sure about LaMoure, but have been told they are playing better lately. I said in a earlier post Dickinson Trinity is coming on and the other teams in Region Seven will have there hands full however at this time I still think New England wins Region Seven. I'm now sold on Berthold and put them ahead of Our Redeemers but still think Rugby is the team to beat in Region Six. Rugby will however have to play for 32 minutes if they want to make it back to the state tourney. Four Winds should win Region Four especially if Weston doesn't make it back to help North Star. Region Two doesn't seam to have any team that wants to step up and win consistently. That's why there isn't any body listed. There will be a good Region One tournament however I still think Oak Grove will prevail and repeat as champs of One. Region Eight ? No one standing out to me at this time. How are you guys thinking? Makes for good conversation.
Last edited by grunt4188 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:45 pm

just a heads up you have Northern Cass twice.

Region 8 favorite has to be New Town as they have been playing decent BB here as of late...just defeated Shiloh on the road by 9.

I don't mind your top 8...here are my thoughts:

1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan
2. Rugby
3. Linton-HMB
4. Oak Grove
5. Berthold
6. New England
7. Our Redeemers
8. Northern Cass
9. Hettinger-Scranton
10. Central Cass
11. Ellendale
12. Dickinson Trinity
13. Shiloh Christian
14. Carrington
15a. Hankinson
15b. May-Port-CG (playing great basketball down the stretch)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby grunt4188 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:55 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:just a heads up you have Northern Cass twice.

Region 8 favorite has to be New Town as they have been playing decent BB here as of late...just defeated Shiloh on the road by 9.

2. Rugby
3. Linton-HMB
4. Oak Grove
5. Berthold
6. New England
7. Our Redeemers
8. Northern Cass
9. Hettinger-Scranton
10. Central Cass
11. Ellendale
12. Dickinson Trinity
13. Shiloh Christian
14. Carrington
15a. Hankinson

Do you know did Shiloh play there varsity for the New Town game. Was told that Shiloh wanted to play Center Stanton with there JV so they had room to play New Town but Center Stanton wouldn't go for it.
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:00 pm

grunt4188 wrote:

2. Rugby
3. Linton-HMB
4. Oak Grove
5. Berthold
6. New England
7. Our Redeemers
8. Northern Cass
9. Hettinger-Scranton
10. Central Cass
11. Ellendale
12. Dickinson Trinity
13. Shiloh Christian
14. Carrington
15a. Hankinson

Do you know did Shiloh play there varsity for the New Town game. Was told that Shiloh wanted to play Center Stanton with there JV so they had room to play New Town but Center Stanton wouldn't go for it.

It was their varsity...their JV played Grant County during the regular season in replace of the Varsity playing GC (Jan. 13th W 72-25)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby grunt4188 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:18 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
grunt4188 wrote:

2. Rugby
3. Linton-HMB
4. Oak Grove
5. Berthold
6. New England
7. Our Redeemers
8. Northern Cass
9. Hettinger-Scranton
10. Central Cass
11. Ellendale
12. Dickinson Trinity
13. Shiloh Christian
14. Carrington
15a. Hankinson

It was their varsity...their JV played Grant County during the regular season in replace of the Varsity playing GC (Jan. 13th W 72-25)

If that's the case Shiloh is to high in my rankings. New Town just lost to Standing Rock. Also kind of opens up Region Five. Thought Shiloh would win it, not so sure now. Solen could challenge. You think New Town will win Region Eight. How about the Parshall kids. Will they challenge?
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Howie » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:26 pm

grunt4188 wrote:A few weeks ago I put together how I thought the power rankings were.

1. Four Winds
2. Rugby
3. Oak Grove
4. Linton
5. New England
6. North Star (without Weston - with Weston back higher to 3)
7. Our Redeemers
8. Shiloh
9. Berthold
10 Central Cass
11. Heart River
12. Ellendale
13. Northern Cass
14. Hankinson
15. Hatton Northwood

People disagreed with me on some of the picks which is good. I thought I was fairly close at the time. If I were to pick again today I would go as follows.

1. Four Winds
2. Rugby
3. Linton
4. Oak Grove
5. Berthold
6. New England
7. Our Redeemers
8. Northern Cass
9. Dickinson Trinity
10. North Star
11. Shiloh
12. Ellendale
13. Hankinson
14. Carrington
15. Beulah
Some of the reason for my picks are as follows. First Linton was moved to third for they are playing good basketball right now. I was told one kid is averaging 65 +% from the field for the year and as a team they are playing some good D. If they match up size wise they will be tough to beat. That's why I moved them up ahead of Oak Grove. I'd pick them in Region Three but Ellendale and Carrington will challenge. Not sure about LaMoure, but have been told they are playing better lately. I said in a earlier post Dickinson Trinity is coming on and the other teams in Region Seven will have there hands full however at this time I still think New England wins Region Seven. I'm now sold on Berthold and put them ahead of Our Redeemers but still think Rugby is the team to beat in Region Six. Rugby will however have to play for 32 minutes if they want to make it back to the state tourney. Four Winds should win Region Four especially if Weston doesn't make it back to help North Star. Region Two doesn't seam to have any team that wants to step up and win consistently. That's why there isn't any body listed. There will be a good Region One tournament however I still think Oak Grove will prevail and repeat as champs of One. Region Eight ? No one standing out to me at this time. How are you guys thinking? Makes for good conversation.

I'll give you a teams body of work so far this year and you explain to me how they are not a top 15 team, if you just simply don't like the team, then just say that.

15-3 record, outscoring opponents by an average of 17
Beat Linton HMB on the road by 17
Beat Shiloh on a neutral court
3 losses all on the road by a combined 15 points.
Beat the number 3 team in South Dakota
Has one of the best scorers in North Dakota
Allows 48 points per contest

I am just curious how you don't think the team above is good
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:31 pm

grunt4188 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
grunt4188 wrote:

2. Rugby
3. Linton-HMB
4. Oak Grove
5. Berthold
6. New England
7. Our Redeemers
8. Northern Cass
9. Hettinger-Scranton
10. Central Cass
11. Ellendale
12. Dickinson Trinity
13. Shiloh Christian
14. Carrington
15a. Hankinson

If that's the case Shiloh is to high in my rankings. New Town just lost to Standing Rock. Also kind of opens up Region Five. Thought Shiloh would win it, not so sure now. Solen could challenge. You think New Town will win Region Eight. How about the Parshall kids. Will they challenge?

Favorites first...then contenders in order from most likely to least (IMHO)

Region 1: Oak Grove, Northern Cass, Central Cass, Hankinson, Wyndmere-Lidgerwood, Enderlin
Region 2: Cavalier, May-Port-CG, Griggs Cty Central, Grafton, Thompson, Hillsboro-CV, Hatton-Northwood...wide open really
Region 3: Linton-HMB, Ellendale, Strasburg/Zeeland, Oakes, Carrington, LaMoure-LM
Region 4: Four Winds-Minnewaukan, Dunseith, North Star, Harvey-WC, St. John
Region 5: Shiloh Christian, Flasher, Solen, Standing Rock, Washburn
Region 6: Rugby, Berthold, Our Redeemer's, Bishop Ryan
Region 7: New England, Hettinger-Scranton, Dickinson Trinity, Beulah, Heart River, Killdeer, Hazen, Richardton-Taylor
Region 8: New Town, Parshall, Watford City, Kenmare, Trinity Christian/Trenton
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

PreviousNext

Return to Boys