Which teams are the real deal this year?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Which teams are the real deal this year?

Postby balla45 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:46 pm

Why not give a real opinion? It bothers me when people try to have a real discussion and others just refuse to do so.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:49 pm

Amen B45.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby grunt4188 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:15 pm

grunt4188 wrote:
Howie wrote:So that makes a starter and a top reserve that didn't play. I am not saying that Linton isn't a good team, if you read my first post on this topic you would see that I think they are very good. I am still waiting for you to name your top 15.

Here you go!

1.Heart River 7-0 (12-2)
2.New England 6-0 (12-2)
3.Beulah 4-2 (8-3)
4.Killdeer 4-2 (9-4)
5.Hettinger-Scranton 3-3 (11-3)
6. Hazen 3-3 (9-3)
7.Richardton-Taylor 3-3 (8-6)
8.Dickinson Trinity 2-2 (5-7)
RV Mott-Regent 2-3 (4-8)
RV Glen Ullin-Hebron 1-4 (3-10)
RV Bowman County 1-4 (1-13)
RV Beach 0-5 (2-11)
RV Mandaree 0-6 (4-9)

Sorry couldn't resist. Probably as close as the sports writers will be tonight. The boys out west would like this poll.

Quit jumping on me. Doesn't any one have a sense of humor any more. Here you go.

1. Four Winds
2. Rugby
3. Oak Grove
4. Linton
5. New England
6. North Star (without Weston - with Weston back higher to 3)
7. Our Redeemers
8. Shiloh
9. Berthold
10 Central Cass
11. Heart River
12. Ellendale
13. Northern Cass
14. Hankinson
15. Hatton Northwood

How I see it now.
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:18 pm

1. FW-M
2. Rugby
3. North Star
4. Berthold
5. Linton-HMB
6. Oak Grove
7. New England
8. Ellendale
9. Our Redeemer's
10. Northern Cass
11. Heart River
12. Hettinger-Scranton
13. Central Cass
14. Cavalier
15. Beulah
16. Solen
17. Shiloh Christian
18. Strasburg/Zeeland
19. Hankinson
20. Dickinson Trinity/Hatton-Northwood
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby balla45 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:35 pm

I too find it odd that you would leave Hettinger-Scranton outside of a top 15 when they beat both Linton-HMB and Shiloh Christian. I think they blew Linton-HMB out.

Also feel that Berthold at 9 is significantly too low. Only loss is to Rugby in a very competitive game.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby NodakQ2 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:58 pm

IMO, North Star with Weston is better than Four Winds. Time will tell, I hear he's coming back this week...
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 4mrnative » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:04 pm

I like your picks, Run...but I think I'd have to drop the Bearcats to 7th or 8th right now. Just not convinced that they can score "consistently" enough. Some very good streak shooters in their mix but their overall FG % isn't that strong. IF Weston returns and IF they can assimilate him back into the mix by tournament time they will be a very scary 'out'!
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Postby grunt4188 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:46 pm

balla45 wrote:I too find it odd that you would leave Hettinger-Scranton outside of a top 15 when they beat both Linton-HMB and Shiloh Christian. I think they blew Linton-HMB out.

Also feel that Berthold at 9 is significantly too low. Only loss is to Rugby in a very competitive game.

Like I said earlier, when Hettinger played Linton, Linton was missing four players with three being guards. Hettinger took advantage of a much slower LInton team then they are today by hitting ten threes. 30 of there 63 points where on threes. Since getting there kids back Linton has only allowed 51 or more points twice out of eleven games. Shiloh is also a much improved team since they played Hettinger. This we will see when they meet Solen Friday night. There again a last second three to win. Live and die by the three. Both Linton and Shiloh play excellent defense. Both schools are so well coached and only get better as the season goes on. I don't believe that Hettinger will finish in the top four in Region 7. I did however leave Trinity out of my poll which I probably shouldn't have. That's another team that is well coached and historically knows how to play D. They will be there come Regional time. Not doing so well now but will come around.

As for Berthold. I don't know much about them. Will find out tomorrow night when they play Our Redeemers. If they lose they were just another of the overrated teams that played nobody until they played Rugby last Saturday night. If they should win I may have them a little lower then they should be.
Last edited by grunt4188 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:56 pm

I mean this in the nicest way possible. Your line of thinking is asinine.

First, while it is reality that Linton has improved defensively due to the return of their players that were missing, there is nothing that guarantees, or implies, that Sadowsky would be any less dominant in a repeat or that Purintun would do a better job offensively playing against Kludt.

Second, in the Hettinger-Shiloh game, Hettinger did not win on a last second three. Hettinger was at advantage the majority of the game due to Kludt creating easy opportunities in transition. Hettinger definitely did not live by the three in that win.

Third, while I agree Shiloh has improved a bit since that game, I don't think it has been a tremendous improvement. I imagine Shiloh will have some sort of success against Solen because Shiloh has a point guard who does not panic against pressure.

Fourth, you just ranked Our Redeemer's at 7. If Berthold were to lose to the team ranked 7, why is Berthold overrated?

I watched Linton at what I believe was full strength and would not put them at 4. Them over North Star is sort of funny.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:05 pm

4mrnative wrote:I like your picks, Run...but I think I'd have to drop the Bearcats to 7th or 8th right now. Just not convinced that they can score "consistently" enough. Some very good streak shooters in their mix but their overall FG % isn't that strong. IF Weston returns and IF they can assimilate him back into the mix by tournament time they will be a very scary 'out'!

I agree with this as well
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:10 pm

Al told me he plans to be back this week.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby grunt4188 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:21 pm

balla45 wrote:I mean this in the nicest way possible. Your line of thinking is asinine.

First, while it is reality that Linton has improved defensively due to the return of their players that were missing, there is nothing that guarantees, or implies, that Sadowsky would be any less dominant in a repeat or that Purintun would do a better job offensively playing against Kludt.

Second, in the Hettinger-Shiloh game, Hettinger did not win on a last second three. Hettinger was at advantage the majority of the game due to Kludt creating easy opportunities in transition. Hettinger definitely did not live by the three in that win.

Third, while I agree Shiloh has improved a bit since that game, I don't think it has been a tremendous improvement. I imagine Shiloh will have some sort of success against Solen because Shiloh has a point guard who does not panic against pressure.

Fourth, you just ranked Our Redeemer's at 7. If Berthold were to lose to the team ranked 7, why is Berthold overrated?

I watched Linton at what I believe was full strength and would not put them at 4. Them over North Star is sort of funny.

First - of all I hate to correct you but Shiloh did have the lead with a few seconds to go and Hettinger did hit a three to win.

Second - Hettinger has lost three games to Region Seven opponents. And is currently fifth in there region.

Third - If Berthold losses to Our Redeemers I have them right where they should be. So we will see. Your the one who thinks I have them to low.

Fourth - With a healthy Weston I do believe I have them over LInton like third. Without No. Also 51 or less points allowed in two out of eleven. Defense wins Games

Fifth - you can call my way of thinking asinine but where's your poll. Have only seen two so far. Mine and runforfuns.
Last edited by grunt4188 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:38 pm

I was at the game and have it on film if you would like the video file. Hayden hit a baseline 12 footer for the win.

Offense wins game. You can't win a game if you score 0.

No one asked for my poll. I would be happy to provide one if you would like.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby grunt4188 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:07 pm

balla45 wrote:I was at the game and have it on film if you would like the video file. Hayden hit a baseline 12 footer for the win.

Offense wins game. You can't win a game if you score 0.

No one asked for my poll. I would be happy to provide one if you would like.

Your right it was a two pointer to win. However Shiloh was leading and I think they would win today if played again.

As for defense winning games, you know what I mean. Example Four Winds beat Dakota Prairie the other day 100 to 67. If North Star gets Weston back or even if they don't and they allow North Star 67 points come regional time, or any quality team, they will go down. Because your good teams play good defence.

Back to Berthold for a minute. Last weeks poll has them fourth. They played Rugby and lost. So like I said if they lose tomorrow night to Our Redeemers then they are ranked to high and have been over ranked like I said.

As for my thoughts being asinine to each his own. I do believe I am as close as the sports casters who vote are, only difference is they get paid for following sports. They should be better. I am just a class b fan. Back to my original comment I feel they could do a better job and do a little more research.
Last edited by grunt4188 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Howie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:22 pm

Ok, first of all I don't know why this needs to be said, but it's spelled defense not defence. Not sure why this turned into a hating on Hettinger Scranton topic. Since you are all about defense, Hettinger Scranton is in the top 20 of scoring defense this year, they are a young team who brings it every single night. I'm sure they love reading about how they aren't any good at all. And finally against Shiloh they held the lead at every quarter break. The game was tied when Sadowsky hit the game winner, and I will guarantee that as well. Best of luck to Linton, they are a darn good team
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:40 pm

grunt you do know that Region 7 is ALOT better than Region 5 right? H-S has lost to quality opponents..all of which are better then Flasher.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby grunt4188 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:09 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:grunt you do know that Region 7 is ALOT better than Region 5 right? H-S has lost to quality opponents..all of which are better then Flasher.

I sure do. There are only a couple teams in 5 that are the real deal. That's my opinion. They play Friday night. As for 7. Like I said in a earlier post, there is parity in 7 but they shouldn't all be ranked. Again tonight Beulah receives votes and goes down to Trinity. I missed Trinity in my poll but also posted they should be in it. I'm not a Hettinger hater. Stating the facts they lost three games to regional opponents. They are a good team but I don't think they will come out of seven. But it high school ball so you never know. As for Shiloh I have them below New England in my poll. But it would be a good game like the first one if they played again. Right now I think New England 1 Heart River 2 Trinity 3. is how I think it will play out. May be Trinity comes on and ends up 2. Again just my opinion.
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby brucenies@yahoo.com » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:14 am

This year there is not a region that has a clear cut favorite. That includes four winds and rugby! Thats what makes it fun! As always there will be upsets come district and regionals. It seems to be apparent though that region 2, 5 and especially 8 are weaker than the others. State tournament in bismarck this year is perfect and should generate a great crowd!! Ill be their all the way from tx so i love this site as it helps to get the blood flowing! Thanks for all your inputs!
brucenies@yahoo.com
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sticks11 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:27 am

NodakQ2 wrote:IMO, North Star with Weston is better than Four Winds. Time will tell, I hear he's coming back this week...

This is tough to say right now. I think it's going to take a little while for him and North Star to get back firing on all cylinders with him on the floor. I'm sure he's been practicing as much as he can, but games are going to tell the story. I hope, for Alex, that it's as smooth of a transition as possible. I'm glad to hear he's going to be coming back!
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:57 am

brucenies@yahoo.com wrote:This year there is not a region that has a clear cut favorite. That includes four winds and rugby! Thats what makes it fun! As always there will be upsets come district and regionals. It seems to be apparent though that region 2, 5 and especially 8 are weaker than the others. State tournament in bismarck this year is perfect and should generate a great crowd!! Ill be their all the way from tx so i love this site as it helps to get the blood flowing! Thanks for all your inputs!

I dont know about 5 and 8 but I do know that region 2 is always tough come tournament time
I would say right now if you took the top 6 teams from region 2 and played a tournament with any of the 8 regions top 6 teams....that it would be very competitive and fun to watch....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby duh » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:24 am

um hasn't anyone looked at ellandale lately 11-0 ranked 3rd they play linton feb 10th and also linton plays solen and shilo pretty good completion ps ellandale has a PRETTY good player in adam white start putting them in your conversation
duh
NDPreps Rookie

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:43 am

duh wrote:um hasn't anyone looked at ellandale lately 11-0 ranked 3rd they play linton feb 10th and also linton plays solen and shilo pretty good completion ps ellandale has a PRETTY good player in adam white start putting them in your conversation

It's been the best start to a BBB season for Ellendale in a long time but there is still a long way to go and a handful of tough teams left on the schedule and in the post season. The Cards need to improve each game. In addition to White, Brennan Vance and a number of other players have played a big role for Ellendale this year, which has been a big part of the team success seen to date. But the Cards are still climbing the mountain, no one in Ellendale is content with a ranking in early February. It does put a big target on your back and every team they see will be putting their best game together. Hopefully, this pays off down the road.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby End90 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:52 am

It seems as though "grunt" has thought this out and to say his rankings are "asinine" seems "asinine" to me. "Asinine" is defined as "stupid, unintelligent, silly." Some of his rankings may be debatable (but isn't that part of the reason for this website), but don't completely defy logic, nor "asinine."
End90
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsfan25 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:07 pm

Just for the sake of adding to the argument, you could check out classbbasketball.com. It has the RPI and "Craig's Computer" rankings of all the teams. Not that it is perfect (nothing is!), but it is at least some sort of mathematical formula for ranking the teams; not just personal opinion.

Also, as the "what region is strongest" debate, the bottom of the page has the RPI strength of each region. As of now, what people have said about some being weaker than others seems to be true, according to RPI strength anyway.

Just more fun stuff to debate.
sportsfan25
NDPreps Starter

Postby 4mrnative » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:29 pm

sportsfan25 wrote:Just for the sake of adding to the argument, you could check out classbbasketball.com. It has the RPI and "Craig's Computer" rankings of all the teams. Not that it is perfect (nothing is!), but it is at least some sort of mathematical formula for ranking the teams; not just personal opinion.

Also, as the "what region is strongest" debate, the bottom of the page has the RPI strength of each region. As of now, what people have said about some being weaker than others seems to be true, according to RPI strength anyway.

Just more fun stuff to debate.

Fascinating stuff. Thanks for sharing. Interesting match-up tonight in Dunseith with North Star. Will be interesting to see if the math predicted the upset (Dunseith at Computer 10 & RPI 7 vs. North Star at Computer 13 and RPI 13)!
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys