Which teams are the real deal this year?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Which teams are the real deal this year?

Postby kingjames101 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:51 pm

Who is the real deal n why. Who are the Cinderella teams to watch this year?
One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Which teams are the real deal this year?

Postby HammerTime » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:35 am

Rugby. I know I'm a bit of a Rugby fan, and they may have struggled this year, but after their win over North Star, we could see a 1v2 thing like last year against Four Winds again. It would be coming back from an early season loss and playing with a chip on their shoulder.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sticks11 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:25 pm

Four Winds has to be in the discussion here. Return a lot and have some kids stepping up well to fill voids left by graduation. They have the ability to defend well and put up points.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby DBA » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:28 pm

In region seven Beulah has been looking good and improving. Their marquee win of the season so far was beating Rugby. They also smashed number 10 Hazen and beat previously ranked hettinger/scranton. Elsewhere in region 7 New England had an impressive win over Trinity last week. The tigers host beulah tomorrow. And the heart river cougars are really fun to watch, well coached.
DBA
NDPreps Reserve

Postby kingjames101 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:02 am

Both Four Winds n Rugby deserve respect. Is Oak Grove good or is it based off last years performance.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HammerTime » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:07 am

kingjames101 wrote:Both Four Winds n Rugby deserve respect. Is Oak Grove good or is it based off last years performance.

In my opinion, it's based off of last year, but they aren't bad. I think the decision to drop them to 5th or whatever they are now was good.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDsportwatcher » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:18 am

I've seen Hillsboro-CV play a couple times this year. They looked much better than I expected. Quick team that gets up and down the court with a lot of scoring threats. Not sure if they are as good as Cavalier in Region 2 but I guess we will see about that on Thursday!
NDsportwatcher
NDPreps Reserve

Postby DBA » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:22 am

Nice win for new england against beulah tonight. Could see them matching up again for region seven championship down the road.
DBA
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:19 am

3 ranked teams drop tonight

Linton def. #3 Central Cass 64-50
New England def. #4 Beulah 56-46
Griggs County Central def. #9 Hillsboro-CV 45-33

Two of those teams were undefeated (CC & H-CV).

Honestly, I don't think there will be a single undefeated team at the State Tourney this year.

Last ones standing are:
Solen (10-0)
Berthold (10-0)
Ellendale (10-0)
Strasburg/Zeeland (9-0)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby kingjames101 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:23 am

3 ranked teams drop tonight

Linton def. #3 Central Cass 64-50
New England def. #4 Beulah 56-46
Griggs County Central def. #9 Hillsboro-CV 45-33

Two of those teams were undefeated (CC & H-CV).

Honestly, I don't think there will be a single undefeated team at the State Tourney this year.

Last ones standing are:
Solen (10-0)
Berthold (10-0)
Ellendale (10-0)
Strasburg/Zeeland (9-0)

I totally agree. Looks to be another great tournament of teams at The B. Always fun to have a Cinderella team.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sticks11 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:15 am

kingjames101 wrote:Both Four Winds n Rugby deserve respect. Is Oak Grove good or is it based off last years performance.

They're good. Some of it is based off of last year, just like most of the teams that ended up ranked right away. They returned I'd say their two best players from last year's roster and still had some other pieces. So they're no slouch.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby brucenies@yahoo.com » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:56 am

You better consider linton in this discussion. They havent hit the polls yet which is ridiculous cause the sportswriters have no clue. Well coached team with talent and wether you like them or not learn to love them cause they will be there!!!
brucenies@yahoo.com
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:18 am

brucenies@yahoo.com wrote:You better consider linton in this discussion. They havent hit the polls yet which is ridiculous cause the sportswriters have no clue. Well coached team with talent and wether you like them or not learn to love them cause they will be there!!!

Linton HMB is clearly the real deal. Strasburg Zeeland (11 and 0) is also likely to hit the poll soon.
Last edited by EHS1998 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:00 pm

From what I've seen and read about this year I would say there are 12+ teams in the state that are very very good.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:18 pm

brucenies@yahoo.com wrote:You better consider linton in this discussion. They havent hit the polls yet which is ridiculous cause the sportswriters have no clue. Well coached team with talent and wether you like them or not learn to love them cause they will be there!!!

Haven't you heard...the polls mean nothing.

Ask the 2012-13 State Champ where they were ranked?
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby duh » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:57 pm

just looking at schedule linton just beat an undefeated team in central cass and have 3 undeafted teams left on there schedule we will see how good they really are strausburg next good luck um
duh
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:32 pm

duh wrote:just looking at schedule linton just beat an undefeated team in central cass and have 3 undeafted teams left on there schedule we will see how good they really are strausburg next good luck um

Strasburg/Zeeland is no longer undefeated...Oakes won on a buzzer beater 25-footer tonight.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby HammerTime » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:50 pm

I recently read an ESPN article about whether or not it's better to go into the tournament undefeated and coasting or battle tested with one or two losses on your record. I think that it's better to have one or two losses early in the season than to coast all the way through. Just look at the state championship last year. Now I have my own feelings about the reffing, but that's beside the point. While Rugby may have been in one tough region, they didn't have the sting of losing like Oak Grove did. In the whole Berthold discussion, I'm not sure how much they've been tested. They'd be hard pressed to continue into the region tourney and play against Rugby and Our Redeemers again without losing. What do you think?
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby brucenies@yahoo.com » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:24 pm

The polls do mean something, its a tool they use when seeding the top 4 teams for the state tounament. Dont be fooled! Their is no clear cut favorite in any region yet which makes it exciting! Thats one reason their is no consistency in the polls! After this weekend when linton beats strausburg they will have no choice but to put them in the polls. Rugby will beat berthold too. The cream WILL ruse to the top!
brucenies@yahoo.com
NDPreps Reserve

Postby d_fense » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:30 pm

brucenies@yahoo.com wrote:The polls do mean something, its a tool they use when seeding the top 4 teams for the state tounament. Dont be fooled! Their is no clear cut favorite in any region yet which makes it exciting! Thats one reason their is no consistency in the polls! After this weekend when linton beats strausburg they will have no choice but to put them in the polls. Rugby will beat berthold too. The cream WILL ruse to the top!

They do not use the polls to help seed the state tournament. I believe I am correct that the coaches rank the teams and they average the coaches opinions out. Am I off on this?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:22 pm

d_fense wrote:
brucenies@yahoo.com wrote:The polls do mean something, its a tool they use when seeding the top 4 teams for the state tounament. Dont be fooled! Their is no clear cut favorite in any region yet which makes it exciting! Thats one reason their is no consistency in the polls! After this weekend when linton beats strausburg they will have no choice but to put them in the polls. Rugby will beat berthold too. The cream WILL ruse to the top!

They do not use the polls to help seed the state tournament. I believe I am correct that the coaches rank the teams and they average the coaches opinions out. Am I off on this?

d_fense is correct.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby packers21 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:41 am

No they do not use the polls when seeding the top 4 teams at state. Linton has recieved votes on the polls twice and they prob woulda been ranked in the 1st one had they not been handled at home by H-S. And whats your deal with Berthold a team that I highly doubt you have ever seen play. They are one of the more fun teams I have seen play this year and have maybe the best scorer in the state playing for them.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby brucenies@yahoo.com » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:09 am

Berthold will FINALLY play somebody this week and then we will see. Im quite sure they will be no match for rugby. Beating up on weaklings certainly doesnt gauge how good they are. Ooo but their undefeated!!!
brucenies@yahoo.com
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sticks11 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:23 am

brucenies@yahoo.com wrote:Berthold will FINALLY play somebody this week and then we will see. Im quite sure they will be no match for rugby. Beating up on weaklings certainly doesnt gauge how good they are. Ooo but their undefeated!!!

I sense just a tiny bitterness here. Maybe it's just me?
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby hsfootballfan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:11 pm

brucenies@yahoo.com wrote:Berthold will FINALLY play somebody this week and then we will see. Im quite sure they will be no match for rugby. Beating up on weaklings certainly doesnt gauge how good they are. Ooo but their undefeated!!!

Yeah. Why so bitter. Your favorite squad must have been one of the "weaklings" you are talking about. They have been taking care of the teams they should beat. Cant blame them for that. If by chance they beat Rugby on Saturday, I spose you will say Rugby had an off nite and a bunch of other excuses. I haven't seen the two teams play yet, but I would expect a decent game. Im looking forward to watching it. This could very well be a preview of the region title game. Depends on Our Redeemers of course. They have a talented squad as well.
hsfootballfan
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Boys