2014-15 Polls

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2014-15 Polls

Postby packers21 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:38 pm

justplayalready wrote:This last poll tells me it's about 50/50...teams that have earned their recognition on what they've done on the court this year moreso on what they did on the court last year...I think we all agree that there is some points awarded to name recognition, last year performance, returning players, etc...but this should start tipping towards who have earned it this year...IMHO FW has earned it this year...Rugby, Fargo and NS, though they may be top ten teams, have not earned it based on their play this year

Interested to hear what your top ten teams that have earned it are ?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 4mrnative » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:10 pm

Not discrediting your opinion what-so-ever, jpa, but I would ask the same question as packers. We all know that the poll is hardly scientific, but unless we wait until a perscribed point well into the season, how would we ever have one based on "having earned it"...or is that what you're suggesting?
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Postby justplayalready » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:00 pm

4mrnative wrote:Not discrediting your opinion what-so-ever, jpa, but I would ask the same question as packers. We all know that the poll is hardly scientific, but unless we wait until a perscribed point well into the season, how would we ever have one based on "having earned it"...or is that what you're suggesting?

We wont know until these "ranked" teams face each other and we get some more head to head matchups, without that we don't know for sure, I think FW has shown they are deserving of their spot due to what they've done this year...whereas Rugby, NS, Cavalier, OG were still rated high based on last year and what they returned and hadn't been tested(prior to this week, or when tested have been beaten)...I don't think there is enough sample to get Quality and Schedule strength in yet, So I'd get the unbeatens above the 1 or 2 loss teams and it will shake itself out over time.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby HammerTime » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:58 pm

I think Rugby beating North Star by double digits might suggest they earned it. The Beulah game is probably going to be a chip on the shoulder to Rugby for the rest of the year instead of saying that they are overrated. Maybe Rugby isn't as amazing as last year's team. But you know, who cares? As long as they keep winning, they'll likely be one of the top teams. Maybe they've gotten a little sloppy and won't take as many shots. But as long as they won, it doesn't matter. And another thing before I quit. Rugby played without one of its top scorers, Zach Miller. If beating a top 4 team down a man isn't a test, I don't know what is.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:49 am

Was anyone at the game between Northstar and Rugby. I was looking at the box score it looked like it was close game and Northstar was leading after 3 quarters. Was it close all the way to end and fouling to get ball back result in double digit win or was it Rugby just pulled away in the fourth quarter. Also this was on Rugby court so looking at box score and being at home very nice win but maybe not as commanding win as final score indicates. Also Northstar has been playing without all state player in Weston too so these teams could be quite even too. But to see that they both will need to make it back to state which might not happen for either of them.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:51 am

http://thecube.com/event/rugby-vs-north ... all-438816

Essentially, only one player scored for NS in the second half -- Heisler had 14 in the 3rd quarter. On the other hand, it was pretty much only Heidlebaugh who scored for Rugby in the second half. I have my doubts that Rugby without Miller is hurt as much as NS is without Weston. Based on this game, I would have to say that with both teams at full strength, NS would have a very good chance of winning a rematch.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:55 am

Rugby pulled away in the fourth...Went back to man to man from the 2-3. Heisler got good looks against the zone in the 3rd...Heidlebaugh took over game in late 3rd & 4th

Rugby struggled against the 2-3...low % night from 3 from Bernhardt...miss Miller in high/low against zone...didn't shoot all that great from FT line either. I would guess Rugby will see a lot of 2-3 defenses from here out
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Jack8 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:24 am

Yes you would think teams would try it more against them after seeing new town play the 2-3 zone on them during state.
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby HammerTime » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:54 pm

I see rants about other schools in our 3-class threads, like Shiloh, Bishop Ryan, Oak Grove, Grafton, Valley City, Beulah, and I wonder to myself, why doesn't Rugby fit in that group? They're on a major highway, so they attract more newcomers than, say, Towner or Harvey. They are a big B. They used to be class A (I realize that today they fall well below that benchmark). They've had a lot of success in multiple sports in recent years. They just finished hosting one of the largest wrestling meets in the state. They host region one-act every year. When the weather allows, they host a speech meet almost as large as Minot State. (How do I know this? I drive past the school to get groceries in Rugby. I see the buses. And when I check the activities calendar for games this stuff pops up.) Their track program is usually quite dominant. They brought Warwick Workouts and other training programs to their town instead of letting them go to Minot or Bismarck. It seems to me that Rugby enjoys many of the advantages of a private school (except possibly restricting who can enroll and potentially scholarshipping athletes) or a big B without all the scrutiny. Don't get me wrong. I like Rugby. But I can't help but wonfer why we don't say anything about it? Is it because they haven't won a state championship in basketball since 1962? Or never won a football championship at any level? It's not because they are under the radar. Is it because they have never been involved in one of those transferring controversies?
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby justplayalready » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:42 pm

Have a BCP in region...anybody but Ryan mentality. Beluah benefits from this too...Anybody but Trinity. The Big Bs without the privates like the Graftons Carringtons and Watfords...miss the tourney for a year or two and they are forgotten...
I would disagree about enjoying the benefits of a private...but they are a big b, but get a pass because they are not minot and arent there every year in bball
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby HammerTime » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:32 am

justplayalready wrote:Have a BCP in region...anybody but Ryan mentality. Beluah benefits from this too...Anybody but Trinity. The Big Bs without the privates like the Graftons Carringtons and Watfords...miss the tourney for a year or two and they are forgotten...
I would disagree about enjoying the benefits of a private...but they are a big b, but get a pass because they are not minot and arent there every year in bball

That would explain it. I kinda realized it when we were debating the whole 3 class thing before the season started. Makes a bit more sense now.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sticks11 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:24 pm

HammerTime wrote:I see rants about other schools in our 3-class threads, like Shiloh, Bishop Ryan, Oak Grove, Grafton, Valley City, Beulah, and I wonder to myself, why doesn't Rugby fit in that group? They're on a major highway, so they attract more newcomers than, say, Towner or Harvey. They are a big B. They used to be class A (I realize that today they fall well below that benchmark). They've had a lot of success in multiple sports in recent years. They just finished hosting one of the largest wrestling meets in the state. They host region one-act every year. When the weather allows, they host a speech meet almost as large as Minot State. (How do I know this? I drive past the school to get groceries in Rugby. I see the buses. And when I check the activities calendar for games this stuff pops up.) Their track program is usually quite dominant. They brought Warwick Workouts and other training programs to their town instead of letting them go to Minot or Bismarck. It seems to me that Rugby enjoys many of the advantages of a private school (except possibly restricting who can enroll and potentially scholarshipping athletes) or a big B without all the scrutiny. Don't get me wrong. I like Rugby. But I can't help but wonfer why we don't say anything about it? Is it because they haven't won a state championship in basketball since 1962? Or never won a football championship at any level? It's not because they are under the radar. Is it because they have never been involved in one of those transferring controversies?

Well, the major highway you're talking about is the same highway that Towner sits on 19 miles away. I think part of it is because while they have enjoyed a lot of success, it doesn't seem to be "every sport, every year." I can't remember off the top of my head the last time they were just horrible in something, but they've had quite a few years there where they've struggled in Boys and Girls basketball / football / baseball / volleyball. It seems like their track program and cross country program have stayed very competitive. I really don't see how a person could say they enjoy the advantages of private schools.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:00 pm

STATE POLL #6
January 19th, 2015

1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan (12) 8-1 128
2. Rugby (1) 8-1 102
3. Central Cass 8-0 96
4. Beulah 5-1 85
5. Oak Grove 7-2 68
6. Berthold 9-0 53
7. Northern Cass 11-1 45
8. North Star 6-2 40
9. Hillsboro-Central Valley 8-0 32
10. Ellendale 9-0 30
Others Receiving Votes: Cavalier (8-2), Grafton (7-1), Solen (10-0), Dunseith (8-3), Our Redeemer's (9-1), New England (8-2).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby HammerTime » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:01 am

Sticks11 wrote:
HammerTime wrote:I see rants about other schools in our 3-class threads, like Shiloh, Bishop Ryan, Oak Grove, Grafton, Valley City, Beulah, and I wonder to myself, why doesn't Rugby fit in that group? They're on a major highway, so they attract more newcomers than, say, Towner or Harvey. They are a big B. They used to be class A (I realize that today they fall well below that benchmark). They've had a lot of success in multiple sports in recent years. They just finished hosting one of the largest wrestling meets in the state. They host region one-act every year. When the weather allows, they host a speech meet almost as large as Minot State. (How do I know this? I drive past the school to get groceries in Rugby. I see the buses. And when I check the activities calendar for games this stuff pops up.) Their track program is usually quite dominant. They brought Warwick Workouts and other training programs to their town instead of letting them go to Minot or Bismarck. It seems to me that Rugby enjoys many of the advantages of a private school (except possibly restricting who can enroll and potentially scholarshipping athletes) or a big B without all the scrutiny. Don't get me wrong. I like Rugby. But I can't help but wonfer why we don't say anything about it? Is it because they haven't won a state championship in basketball since 1962? Or never won a football championship at any level? It's not because they are under the radar. Is it because they have never been involved in one of those transferring controversies?

Well, the major highway you're talking about is the same highway that Towner sits on 19 miles away. I think part of it is because while they have enjoyed a lot of success, it doesn't seem to be "every sport, every year." I can't remember off the top of my head the last time they were just horrible in something, but they've had quite a few years there where they've struggled in Boys and Girls basketball / football / baseball / volleyball. It seems like their track program and cross country program have stayed very competitive. I really don't see how a person could say they enjoy the advantages of private schools.

What I mean by some Big City Private Advantages, is they bring a lot of stuff to Rugby instead of going halfway across the state for it. Warwick Workouts goes to Rugby in the summer and winter. They host a couple elementary tourneys. They have decent facilities after their recent renovation. They have done a lot of stuff in recent years to prepare their kids to play better varsity ball, and their starting to see that pay off. It'll pay off in a few more years down the road.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby kingjames101 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:14 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:STATE POLL #6
January 19th, 2015

1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan (12) 8-1 128
2. Rugby (1) 8-1 102
3. Central Cass 8-0 96
4. Beulah 5-1 85
5. Oak Grove 7-2 68
6. Berthold 9-0 53
7. Northern Cass 11-1 45
8. North Star 6-2 40
9. Hillsboro-Central Valley 8-0 32
10. Ellendale 9-0 30
Others Receiving Votes: Cavalier (8-2), Grafton (7-1), Solen (10-0), Dunseith (8-3), Our Redeemer's (9-1), New England (8-2).

Looks true n I would back for a couple days. Thanks Run
One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsphenom » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:24 am

I see this changing drastically next week. 3 top 10 teams went down last night and alot of tough games coming up for other top 10 teams before the week is done. I love this time of year. I predict a great state tournament this year, going to be a fun March.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:37 pm

top 2 will stay the same...wont be extreme drastic NS will slide up maybe one or two spots.....but its wide open from here on out.....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:50 pm

winner-within wrote:top 2 will stay the same...wont be extreme drastic NS will slide up maybe one or two spots.....but its wide open from here on out.....

There are plenty of matchups the next two days that could fluctuate this poll considerably. Agreed the top 2 should remain the same though.

Key Upcoming games for teams in latest poll
Thursday: RV Cavalier @ #9 Hillsboro-CV
Thursday: RV Dunseith @ #2 Rugby
Thursday: #5 Oak Grove @ Lisbon
Thursday: #6 Berthold @ Surrey
Thursday: Larimore @ RV Grafton
Thursday: RV Our Redeemer's @ Bishop Ryan
Friday: #3 Central Cass @ #5 Oak Grove
Friday: #7 Northern Cass @ Enderlin
Friday: #10 Ellendale @ LaMoure-LM
Friday: RV Cavalier @ RV Grafton
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:00 pm

STATE POLL #7
January 26th, 2015

1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan (11) 10-1 118
2. Rugby (1) 10-1 102
3. Oak Grove 9-2 92
4. Berthold 11-0 82
5. North Star 7-2 62
6. Ellendale 11-0 57
7. New England 10-2 33
8. Beulah 6-2 30
9. Our Redeemer's 11-1 22
9. Solen 11-0 22
Others Receiving Votes: Central Cass (8-2), Strasburg/Zeeland (11-0), Hettinger-Scranton (10-2), Cavalier (10-3), Griggs County Central (9-3), Linton-HMB (9-2).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby bsoldiergirl » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:40 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:STATE POLL #7
January 26th, 2015

1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan (11) 10-1 118
2. Rugby (1) 10-1 102
3. Oak Grove 9-2 92
4. Berthold 11-0 82
5. North Star 7-2 62
6. Ellendale 11-0 57
7. New England 10-2 33
8. Beulah 6-2 30
9. Our Redeemer's 11-1 22
9. Solen 11-0 22
Others Receiving Votes: Central Cass (8-2), Strasburg/Zeeland (11-0), Hettinger-Scranton (10-2), Cavalier (10-3), Griggs County Central (9-3), Linton-HMB (9-2).

Wow! 3 teams from Region 6....Another year with a strong showing(District 11-(Rugby) & District 12-(Berthold, Our Redeemer's) 8)
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:15 pm

The polls now have Region 4 and region 6 with multiple teams in the poll and region 2 and region 8 not represented in the poll as of now. Also others receiving votes shows that region 2 has candidates for the poll but region 8 does not. So this poll gives representation of what sport writers think how teams stand state wide but will not reflect who will compete at state and will be strongest among the teams at the state. Its good for writing about but will not reflect how it will turn out for the state tournament and my guess less than half of the present teams on this poll get to state tournament each of them face quality opponents in their own regions. Also it will be interesting how each to teams regions compete when they get to state tournament last couple years opening games have been down to wire matchups even with the teams seated there is not as big difference as some think in the teams competing at class b level.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:05 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:The polls now have Region 4 and region 6 with multiple teams in the poll and region 2 and region 8 not represented in the poll as of now. Also others receiving votes shows that region 2 has candidates for the poll but region 8 does not. So this poll gives representation of what sport writers think how teams stand state wide but will not reflect who will compete at state and will be strongest among the teams at the state. Its good for writing about but will not reflect how it will turn out for the state tournament and my guess less than half of the present teams on this poll get to state tournament each of them face quality opponents in their own regions. Also it will be interesting how each to teams regions compete when they get to state tournament last couple years opening games have been down to wire matchups even with the teams seated there is not as big difference as some think in the teams competing at class b level.

The polls have changed so much bc each week a top team gets beat. I think Region 2 has had 7 different teams ranked or RV. Regions 1 4 and 7 are probably the strongest.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bsoldiergirl » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:18 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:The polls now have Region 4 and region 6 with multiple teams in the poll and region 2 and region 8 not represented in the poll as of now. Also others receiving votes shows that region 2 has candidates for the poll but region 8 does not. So this poll gives representation of what sport writers think how teams stand state wide but will not reflect who will compete at state and will be strongest among the teams at the state. Its good for writing about but will not reflect how it will turn out for the state tournament and my guess less than half of the present teams on this poll get to state tournament each of them face quality opponents in their own regions. Also it will be interesting how each to teams regions compete when they get to state tournament last couple years opening games have been down to wire matchups even with the teams seated there is not as big difference as some think in the teams competing at class b level.

I totally agree, anything can happen when it comes to the state tournament. The Region 6 tournament will be interesting, all three of the ranked teams can't go to state. It's not a given that any of them will make it to the final round at regionals. The game to watch in region 6 will be on Saturday when #2 Rugby plays #4 Berthold, could be a very intense and hard fought game. Winner will have the edge (psychologically) in the region tournament :!: ! If Berthold loses, Our Redeemers could take over the #1 spot in District 12. This has been a very exciting year in our little corner of the state! :D
Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
bsoldiergirl
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:41 pm

NEW POLLS to be posted around 7:00pm
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:22 pm

STATE POLL #8
February 2nd, 2015

1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan (12) 11-1 129
2. Rugby (1) 13-1 118
3. Ellendale 13-0 78
4. North Star 10-2 73
5. Berthold 13-1 70
6. Oak Grove 9-3 67
7. New England 12-2 47
8. Our Redeemer's 13-1 42
9. Solen 14-0 36
10. Linton-HMB 11-2 23
Others Receiving Votes: Northern Cass (13-2), Beulah (8-3), Hankinson (12-1), Heart River (12-2), Cavalier (11-3), Hettinger-Scranton (11-3).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

PreviousNext

Return to Boys