best DUNKERS in class B

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: best DUNKERS in class B

Postby Broncos811 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:00 pm

Gunning4ya wrote:
Basketball23 wrote:John Reiten had 2 more dunks against Berthold tonight. Both in the second half.

Saw the highlights of these "dunks"....they looked to be drop ins than dunks.

Someone's jealous that they can't dunk :wink:

I know what you mean, but no need to be so mean spirited in the way you say it. Furthermore, I'd call the second dunk not only a "real dunk" (since we're being picky about form) but a smart move too.

But again, I see what you mean, with that first one at least. But he's a junior. Athleticism improves a lot over a year.

I realize I'm picky as to what makes a "dunker," but I would say Reiten has the potential to be a strong post dunker IF he continues to put work in and develops post moves at the basket.
Broncos811
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Basketball23 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:32 am

Since when has going above the rim (especially just with one step) throwing the ball through the hoop and pulling the rim down with intensity not being considered a dunk. These also came late in the game and were big momentum boosters. I do understand the 1st one wasn't as pretty as a dunk. But Reiten came back with a second dunk and threw that one down. I mean come on they are not in college or in the pros.
Basketball23
NDPreps Rookie

Postby LILchump » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:17 am

This is the silliest thread on this site. It's sickening hearing about how "good of dunkers ORCS has" all over here and on social media. So what? Those dunks didn't get them past Berthold on Tuesday night and it sure won't get them past Rugby in the Region Tournament. ORCS is a good team, but they have more to work on than dunking the basketball.
LILchump
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:48 am

it is funny how Dunking is such a touchy topic....and I'll say it again "its because so many cant do it" not a big deal its just the way the ball bounces
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Gunning4ya » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:01 am

Broncos811 wrote:
Gunning4ya wrote:
Basketball23 wrote:John Reiten had 2 more dunks against Berthold tonight. Both in the second half.

Saw the highlights of these "dunks"....they looked to be drop ins than dunks.

Someone's jealous that they can't dunk :wink:

I know what you mean, but no need to be so mean spirited in the way you say it. Furthermore, I'd call the second dunk not only a "real dunk" (since we're being picky about form) but a smart move too.

But again, I see what you mean, with that first one at least. But he's a junior. Athleticism improves a lot over a year.

I realize I'm picky as to what makes a "dunker," but I would say Reiten has the potential to be a strong post dunker IF he continues to put work in and develops post moves at the basket.

Thank you for your knee-jerk reaction. It is what they looked like on the highlights but could have been different in the live game.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBforlife » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:25 pm

I was at the Region 6 tournament today and Davis Koppinger from ORCS and Brad Heidlebough both had aggressive two handed dunks in transition, very impressive
ClassBforlife
NDPreps Rookie

Postby nolan4 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:19 pm

ClassBforlife wrote:I was at the Region 6 tournament today and Davis Koppinger from ORCS and Brad Heidlebough both had aggressive two handed dunks in transition, very impressive

I swear Koppinger has hops running down the floor, i dont know that i have seen anyone who seems as light on his feet as him.........and both dunks were really nice aggressive dunks.........but is their no longer technicals for hanging on the rim? Koppinger did, even if it was just for a half second, so maybe you can get away with it nowadays......anyone know the dunk rule????
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sticks11 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:17 am

nolan4 wrote:
ClassBforlife wrote:I was at the Region 6 tournament today and Davis Koppinger from ORCS and Brad Heidlebough both had aggressive two handed dunks in transition, very impressive

I swear Koppinger has hops running down the floor, i dont know that i have seen anyone who seems as light on his feet as him.........and both dunks were really nice aggressive dunks.........but is their no longer technicals for hanging on the rim? Koppinger did, even if it was just for a half second, so maybe you can get away with it nowadays......anyone know the dunk rule????

They'll get away with a good yank of the rim, but shouldn't hang unless somebody is right underneath them. I think it comes down to the official's judgment. If it looks like showing off or something of that nature, I could see the T coming. I don't know exactly what the rule says, though.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby LILchump » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:53 am

Both Heidlebaugh and Koppinger are crazy athletic for high school seniors. I want to know why on earth Koppinger didn't play football. Will he be good enough to go play somewhere in college? IMO he has an average jump shot at best, a lot of his points are scored on (impressive) drives to the rim. However, at the college level he will be driving the lane against much tougher and just as athletic kids. I think he would have had a much better chance at having a positive impact as a wide out for a college football team.

I know this is a basketball forum, but imagine if Austin Lee would have had Koppinger as his main weapon on the outside for the Berthold/ORCS football team. Yikes.
LILchump
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndbballfan89 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:47 pm

Seen two dunks in the same night last week in District 7 - Tronis McKay from Four Winds with a left handed dunk in transition(he is right handed) and Payton Granger from Harvey W/C with a baseline drive two-handed dunk. Both are Sophomores should be fun to watch the next couple of years!
ndbballfan89
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Hinsa » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:32 pm

Dunk rule: you cannot hang on the rim. You are not even supposed to grasp the rim. You do have the exception to the rule of hanging there to avoid injury. But like so many other rules, they get ignored unless it is blatant or disrespectful.

For instance, when was the last time you saw a coach worry about leaving the coach's box? Come to think of it, when was the last time you saw a coach's box marked like it is supposed to be? My point is that unless the referee is being disrespected many rules are ignored.

Sorry, back to the topic.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:45 pm

Hinsa wrote:Dunk rule: you cannot hang on the rim. You are not even supposed to grasp the rim. You do have the exception to the rule of hanging there to avoid injury. But like so many other rules, they get ignored unless it is blatant or disrespectful.

For instance, when was the last time you saw a coach worry about leaving the coach's box? Come to think of it, when was the last time you saw a coach's box marked like it is supposed to be? My point is that unless the referee is being disrespected many rules are ignored.

Sorry, back to the topic.

Last time seeing a Coach's Box marked...Region 1 GBB & District 2 BBB at the Fargo Civic.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby d_fense » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:43 pm

Monday at the region 1 Boys Tournament in Wahpeton the officials marked the coaches box with athletic tape before the first game.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sticks11 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:18 am

d_fense wrote:Monday at the region 1 Boys Tournament in Wahpeton the officials marked the coaches box with athletic tape before the first game.

Aggressive. Haha. I've never seen that done before.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:00 pm

Sticks11 wrote:
d_fense wrote:Monday at the region 1 Boys Tournament in Wahpeton the officials marked the coaches box with athletic tape before the first game.

Aggressive. Haha. I've never seen that done before.

It must be a emphasis in Region 1 this year...interestingly enough many coaches are WELL out of their box and nothing is done. Must be preparing coaches for stricter enforcement next year.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Every gym I've been in this season (Regions 5 and 7) have had the coaching box marked.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:49 pm

The Schwab wrote:Every gym I've been in this season (Regions 5 and 7) have had the coaching box marked.

It was an emphasis this year...but hasn't been officiated as an emphasis.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sticks11 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:55 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Every gym I've been in this season (Regions 5 and 7) have had the coaching box marked.

It was an emphasis this year...but hasn't been officiated as an emphasis.

Right....Like you guys are saying, I've seen them marked in probably every gym I've been in (Region 4 and 6). However, like you said Run, I've also seen coaches way outside of them and refs really don't pay any attention to it, unless the coaches are just harping or being unreasonable. I mean, I've seen coaches walk almost all the way down to the baseline.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:56 pm

Most of the gyms in our Region (2) were not marked. I don't recall anyone getting told to get back in their box, even where the box was marked. I saw a coach that walked from baseline to the scorer's table and nothing was said, but the coach wasn't squawking at the officials either.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:14 pm

The no hanging on the rim thing is one of the dumber rules in my mind. If you dunk it going full speed on a fastbreak, you'll need to hang on for awhile so you don't hurt yourself.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:19 pm

One thing I've noticed from officials is the moment you start to pull yourself up on the rim = the quicker a "T" comes out. Taunting while or after a dunk receives a "T" quick too.

They'll allow hanging to an extent...especially if there is an opposing player in the vicinity.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby north1 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:09 pm

I completely agree Indy5. Full speed with defenders following you and your asking for serious injury by trying not to hang for a fraction of time to allow area around you to clear. The refs are relaxing a little more every year on this though. I remember a couple of years ago Houston Lavachek from Glenburn had a nice dunk and the rim just snapped a little bit from his momentum as he followed through and he was given a technical immediately. Have seen several dunks this year where the player actually hung on rim and changed his momentum to go back the other way and nothing was thought of it. "The times they are a changing".
north1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:45 am

north1 wrote:I completely agree Indy5. Full speed with defenders following you and your asking for serious injury by trying not to hang for a fraction of time to allow area around you to clear. The refs are relaxing a little more every year on this though. I remember a couple of years ago Houston Lavachek from Glenburn had a nice dunk and the rim just snapped a little bit from his momentum as he followed through and he was given a technical immediately. Have seen several dunks this year where the player actually hung on rim and changed his momentum to go back the other way and nothing was thought of it. "The times they are a changing".

and they damm well should be, this isn't the 60's or 70's.....all these people love watching Wisconsin and Kentucky and Kansas or Duke on TV, but they dont want dunking in Class B to the extent of what you would call an aggressive put down with a little hangin on the rim to clear out....most of these guys are not over 200 lbs and it hurts nothing mechanical....why It stings a few fans emotionally I dont know.....or maybe I do.. :wink:
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby siouxforever7 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:13 am

I'm thinking Olsen's alley oop against New England from last night deserves a little conversation!! Monster!!
siouxforever7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby siouxforever7 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:21 am

siouxforever7 wrote:I'm thinking Olsen's alley oop against New England from last night deserves a little conversation!! Monster!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... UK1kOiI1ZU
siouxforever7
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Boys