Region 1

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 1

Postby district2fanog » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:21 pm

Predictions for Region 1?
I think Oak Grove has to be at the top. They will be putting up a ton of points this season.

Central Cass is next I think. They have a some studs, but not as deep as Oak Grove. New coach will be interesting, see how the kids adapt.

Who are the next best teams?

Milnor, Lisbon, and W/L should all be good from down south.
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Region 1

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:42 pm

My thoughts...

District 1
1. Hankinson - shifted after I realized which Mauch's were still there.
2. Milnor
3. Lisbon
4. Wynd-Lidg
5. Sargent Central
6. North Sargent
7. Fairmount/CT

District 2
1. Oak Grove
2. Central Cass
3. Northern Cass
4. Enderlin
5. Richland
6. Kindred
7. Maple Valley
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby d_fense » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:46 pm

District 1
1. Hankinson- I don't think this district will be close. Carter Mauch is the districts best player and will have a pretty good cast around him.
2. Wyndmere/Lidgerwood- Seth Harles is the districts second best player with a nice group around him, just not as deep as Hankinson's group.
3. Milnor- They have developed a nice tradition, and I feel that the confidence that all the winning the last few years will help them out.
4. Lisbon- I think their young center really improved as the year went on. If he continues to improve they could finish 2-3. If he doesn't get help, they could slide to 5.
5. North Sargent- With their struggles in recent years and a very short team, finishing higher than 5 would be tough.
6. Sargent Central- They were hit very hard by graduation, with very little experience and numbers returning.
7. FCT- Young.

District 2.
1. O.G. - Best player in the region and bla blaa blaaa. Very good!
2. Central Cass - Nice solid athletic group.
3. Enderlin - Well coached and they work hard.
4. Northern Cass - I don't know much about these boys other than they have pretty good numbers and some athletes.
5. Richland - I would like to put them higher. Probably based on how well they are doing in Football.
6. Kindred - Wow, Kindred wasn't very good 2 years ago, but I liked their team last year and, well it is a big school. Not sure I like them this low, but I don't know who I would push down.
7. Maple Valley - They have been doing so well for a number of years. A small school can only keep it up for so long.

I know district 1 better than 2. That being said, I think Hankinson is the only district 1 team that could finish in the top 4 of district 2.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:51 pm

Good stuff defense. Don't sleep on Lisbon.

OG could potentially boast the best 2 players in the region.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:27 pm

EHS1998 wrote:Good stuff defense. Don't sleep on Lisbon.

Thanks EHS1998. If I were to rank top players in the region I would go.
1. Kretchman
2. Carter Mauch - only played a handful of games last season. Broke his foot in football was forced to call it quits before Christmas.
3. Adams - Good shooter who doesn't make a lot of mistakes. Would like to see him rebound harder.
4. Graham Hurlburt - very good shooter with great height. He has the tools to be the best in the region, but settles for way to many 3's and doesn't work to get the ball down low where he'd have an advantage over... anyone in the region.

I know the region has some other good players, but IMO there is a clear separation between the top 4 and the other better players in the region.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:06 am

d_fense wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:Good stuff defense. Don't sleep on Lisbon.

Thanks EHS1998. If I were to rank top players in the region I would go.
1. Kretchman
2. Carter Mauch - only played a handful of games last season. Broke his foot in football was forced to call it quits before Christmas.
3. Adams - Good shooter who doesn't make a lot of mistakes. Would like to see him rebound harder.
4. Graham Hurlburt - very good shooter with great height. He has the tools to be the best in the region, but settles for way to many 3's and doesn't work to get the ball down low where he'd have an advantage over... anyone in the region.

I know the region has some other good players, but IMO there is a clear separation between the top 4 and the other better players in the region.

Springer from Northern Cass would round out my Top 5...with your other 4.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby district2fanog » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:44 am

Who is the best coach in the Region? Coach from OG? Kindred guy is ok. I have also heard good things about Hankinson coach.

Northern Cass is the dark horse in district 2.
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The12thMan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:57 pm

District 1
1.Hankinson
2. Milnor or Lisbon
3. Lisbon or Milnor
4.Wyndmere Lidgerwood
5. Gwinner
6. Sargent Central
7. FCT

District 2.
1. Oak Grove
2. Central Cass
3. Northern Cass
4. Enderlin
5. Kindred
6. Richland
7. Maple Valley

In district one I see Hankinson taking it with maybe some competition from Lisbon or Milnor. Wyndmere Lidgerwood isn't as good as many think and Harles is really just a shooter, but watch out for his little brother.
Gwinner will rule the bottom half of the bracket with an extremely young FCT squad taking the rear.

In district two Northern Cass or Central Cass will have a good chance of taking Oak Grove off their throne. Enderlin doesn't have the experience and Hurlburt is like a taller Harles. I think Kindred will take the bottom half.

As for top four players I would put Adams in front of Carter.
The12thMan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm

district2fanog wrote:Who is the best coach in the Region? Coach from OG?

Randy Schauer, probably holds the MN state record for most 20 win seasons without a trip to state.

Kindred guy is ok.

Of course. He's a Dan Carr disciple.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:18 pm

The key for Oak Grove is that Enderlin & Central Cass are home games and I don't think I've seen a cold OG team at home. You are going to have to outshoot them at home and that is tough to do!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Legend26 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:26 pm

The12thMan wrote:District 1
1.Hankinson
2. Milnor or Lisbon
3. Lisbon or Milnor
4.Wyndmere Lidgerwood
5. Gwinner
6. Sargent Central
7. FCT

District 2.
1. Oak Grove
2. Central Cass
3. Northern Cass
4. Enderlin
5. Kindred
6. Richland
7. Maple Valley

In district one I see Hankinson taking it with maybe some competition from Lisbon or Milnor. Wyndmere Lidgerwood isn't as good as many think and Harles is really just a shooter, but watch out for his little brother.
Gwinner will rule the bottom half of the bracket with an extremely young FCT squad taking the rear.

In district two Northern Cass or Central Cass will have a good chance of taking Oak Grove off their throne. Enderlin doesn't have the experience and Hurlburt is like a taller Harles. I think Kindred will take the bottom half.

As for top four players I would put Adams in front of Carter.

I agree here Hankinson is the favorite in District 1, but i wouldn't be surprised to see them beaten by a team like Milnor, Lisbon, or W/L. The district is wide open
Legend26
NDPreps Rookie

Postby district2fanog » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:22 am

I would like to hear your opinions on SuperRegionals vs districts? I know districts are over for our Region after this year. The old school in me still wants districts, but SuperRegionals will be interesting. However I wish the first round of SuperRegionals was hosted by the high seed. After first round have the games at a neutral sight.

When was the last time a class B team won state back to back years? I think the Grovers have a chance this year.
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Legend26 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:05 am

district2fanog wrote:I would like to hear your opinions on SuperRegionals vs districts? I know districts are over for our Region after this year. The old school in me still wants districts, but SuperRegionals will be interesting. However I wish the first round of SuperRegionals was hosted by the high seed. After first round have the games at a neutral sight.

When was the last time a class B team won state back to back years? I think the Grovers have a chance this year.

I believe it was MPCG in 2002 and 2003
Legend26
NDPreps Rookie

Postby The Schwab » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:51 am

It was MPCG in 2002 and 2003, they also won back to back titles in 1996 and 1997
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby district2fanog » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:16 am

When was the last time Enderlin went too state?
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:33 pm

district2fanog wrote:When was the last time Enderlin went too state?

1996; got 6th
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby HammerTime » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:35 pm

Oak Grove will win. Small chance from Central Cass to pull an upset, but Oak Grove will likely win. Virtually all there is to say about Region 1 ball.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:20 pm

HammerTime wrote:Oak Grove will win. Small chance from Central Cass to pull an upset, but Oak Grove will likely win. Virtually all there is to say about Region 1 ball.

You do not want to overlook Northern Cass in this region. They WILL be tough. This region will not be a walk-in-the-park for Oak Grove.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby d_fense » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:06 am

Here is a list of my top players from Region 1 at the start of the season. It will likely change as the season progresses at it does every year. We’ll see who put in the times since last year on the court and in the weight room.
1. Carter Kretchman O.G. 5’9" senior All stater that has everything but size. His ball handling and quickness allow him to get any shot he wants.
2. Carter Mauch Hank 6’2” senior Very versatile player who will benefit from moving from the point this year. If he stays healthy (I believe he only played in the team’s first five games last season), he could be the best player in the region.
3. Christian Adams OG 6’1” senior Strong player who shoots exceptionally well, 58% from 2 and 46% from 3. Needs to increase rebounding, 4.6 and assist, 2.1 numbers from last year.
4. Graham Hurlburt Enderlin 6’7” junior As much physical ability as anyone in the region. Good shooter but needs to get to the basket more. He took 47 more 3’s than 2’s which accounts for him only getting 1.5 free throw attempts per game.
5. Cody Springer N.C. 6’1” junior Very experienced player despite only being a junior this year. Averaged 19.4 ppg last season and is a willing passer. I like the fact that he is well rounded and doesn’t just sit outside and cast up 3’s.
6. Grady Bresnahan C.C. 5’8” junior Outstanding quickness that he uses on both ends of the court. Not just a scorer. Grady averaged over 5 rpg (at only 5’8”) and 4.5 assists per game.
7. Jake Hanson N.S. 5’11” sophomore Good leader and ball handler. He gets to the basket and free throw line when he wants to.
8. Adam Breske C.C. 6’1” senior I like Adams game. He is experienced and a willing rebounder and passer.
9. Seth Harles W.L. 6’3” senior Really stepped up his game last year when he became the teams go to guy. Nice outside shot but gets a lot of hoops down low. Averaged 5 boards a game last year. Needs to try doubling that total this season, he has the tools to do it.
10. Tommy Voss C.C. 6’2” senior Good athlete and willing defender. I would like to see him be more aggressive taking the ball to the hoop. He did make 82 3’s last year so driving should be open to him with defenders
11. Isaac Olson O.G. 6’3” senior Lots of potential but injuries have hurt his development. Despite having good size Isaac shoots too much from the perimeter. Last year he took more 3’s than 2’s despite only shooting 20% from beyond the 3 point line. I should probably have him ranked lower. But, I am optimistic that he will turn things around this season. Isaac will be so critical for their teams success because they need to find someone to replace Card’s rebounding, passing, and offensive presence down low.
12. Ryder Goolsbey Milnor 6’2” junior Ryder is not only Milnor’s best athlete, defender, and ball handler, he’s a pretty good shot. Milnor will benefit if he looks to score more than he has in the past.
13. Nick Mauch Hank 5’11” sophomore Top 3 ball handler in the region. Works hard in all areas of the game. The more he shoots, the better off his team will be. Needs to take at least 10 shots a game to help open up the court for a good group of teammates.
14. Quincey Marlatt Milnor 6’1” Milnor Teams best shooter who has spent a lot of time in the gym and playing AAU in the summer. Has really developed his game as far taking the ball to the hoop and finishing despite drawing contact. Will likely be the leading scorer on one of the district’s top teams.
15. Cody Mauch Hank 6’2” Sophomore Cody does everything pretty well. Doesn’t handle the ball as well as big brother Carter, but he always plays under control and is smooth. A growth spurt since last year will really pay dividends for him around the hoop.

Just out of my top 15.
*Grady Mauch, Hankinson- Averaged 16 points and 9 rebounds a game last year. I think he is better this year, but I see those numbers going down. They get their best player, Carter back after missing most of last season with a broken foot. Carter will take both points and boards away and their two sophomores, I believe have passed him by. Grady may be the best 4th best player on any Class B team this season.
*Kellen Jorgenson, W.L.- Giving some love to defenders. Kellen plays hard on defense and takes advantage of his length and energy on that end of the floor. He needs to push his 5.3 rpg up to around 8 and play with a little more confidence on offense to really elevate his game and his team.
*Ben Hanson, N.S.- Best defender in the district. Moves his feet well and seems to have learned how to eliminate ticky- tak fouls. Needs to shoot more after hitting 45% of his 3 pointers last year (18/40). Will get better looks at the basket this year when he is moved from the point to 2 guard.
*Fletcher Andel, Kind- Being honest here, I watched 2 Kindred games last year and I don’t remember Fletcher. He played next to one of the best players in Kindred history, but he was all district and did put up some nice numbers. I’m putting him here based on others opinions and the fact that he will likely be the best player on a big schools team.
*Riley Lau, Lisbon- 6’7” post player. Riley does most of the things you look for in a post. He rebounds, causes problems with his presence in the paint on defense, and did improve a great deal during his sophomore season. I can’t think of another post in the region with Riley’s size.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:00 pm

Good lord. Are all these Mauch's brothers, and how many are there?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Indy5 wrote:Good lord. Are all these Mauch's brothers, and how many are there?

3 famlies. Carter and Cody are brothers. I assume they are all cousins, but I'm not certain.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby imjustafan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:55 pm

One almost needs a program for the Mauch clan. Carter and Cody are brothers and first cousins of Grady. Nick is a second cousin once removed from the three. Carter and Cody and Grady have younger siblings and additional first cousins. For those of you that remember Jamie--he is a first cousin once removed to Carter, Cody and Grady and a second cousin to Nick.

There will be a quiz later. :D
imjustafan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby timberwolf » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:06 am

[quote="d_fense"] D_fense, I agree with most of the players you have on this list, but not all. Also, I don't really like the order. Here's my list:
1. (tie) Christian Adams/Carter Kretchman O.G.
As of right now I think I would say Adams is the more complete, all around player. I like his physicality, defensive presence, and athleticism over that of Kretchman's. No doubt, Kretchman is the better pure shooter but when it comes to scoring and passing the two are very close.
3. Carter Mauch Hankinson
Will be interesting to see how much his game has improved now that he is strong and healthy. Has a good all around game.
4. Cody Springer Northern Cass
Improves every year and has much experience under his belt.
5. Graham Hurlburt Enderlin
Great shooter, but needs to pick it up on D and also offensively in the post.
6. Grady Bresnahan C.C.
Has improved immensely from his younger years... I doubted him, but is actually staring to play somewhat respectable to his brother.
7.(tie) Adam Breske/Tommy Voss C.C.
Like Adams and Kretchman, these two are very similar in talent and importance. They will be looked on for the majority of the scoring at Central Cass.
9. Jacob Hanson North Sargent
Will be the only consistent bright spot on a very poor NS team. I look for Jacob to lead his team in all major categories except rebounding. Will need to score more if he wants to give his team any sort of chance in any game.
10.(tie) Quincey Marlatt/Masen Olsen Milnor
Once again, I have two players from the same team with right around the same talent/importance. They have great potential. I like Marlatt's scoring ability and Olsen's touch down low extended to 15'. They need to get stronger and become leaders.
12. Seth Harles W/L
Seth is the definite leader on his team. He needs to become more aggressive all over. I do like his shot and defense... he will be tough to guard with his size and versatility.
13. Nick Mauch Hankinson
He was forced to play a good number of minutes last year and I think that should help his confidence level. He has great bball IQ and should play well with Carter and the rest of the team.
14. Fletcher Andel Kindred
I saw a good number of games and Fletcher has the ability to be a very big threat to teams this year. He needs to develop consistent play and become a leader for his team. Good shooter.
15. Grady Mauch Hankinson
Stepped up big for his team last year. I think he will stay right around the same productivity as last year... I could see his points go down and rebounds up and not be surprised, however.
Run4Happiness
timberwolf
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:02 am

What do you men, you really don't like my order? You only listed one player I did not mention, and had most everyone within 3 of where I put them.......
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby HammerTime » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:25 pm

district2fanog wrote:I would like to hear your opinions on SuperRegionals vs districts? I know districts are over for our Region after this year. The old school in me still wants districts, but SuperRegionals will be interesting. However I wish the first round of SuperRegionals was hosted by the high seed. After first round have the games at a neutral sight.

I do not want to see another Oak Grove state championship. Plus, while they have a good shot, they're are still many other teams around the state that could upset Oak Grove on a neutral floor.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Boys