Region 1

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 1

Postby WEhaveAproblem » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:39 pm

Goolsbey sat 6 minutes in second quarter and didn't guard Grady till late in fourth
WEhaveAproblem
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:44 pm

Congrats to CC on a quality win. Very talented team better than i expected. Well coached but far from disciplined. Watched all three games C, JV & V and saw an unbelievable amount whining and complaining. Was within earshot of the varsity tantrum which would have drawn a techinical against anyone other than who was saying it. Multiple F bombs and directed comments towards the ref get only a warning?????. Saw both sides lose there cool but only saw one coach do anything about it. Congradulations coach Gleason. Its about more than winning and losing. Its about building strong young men. The better team TONIGHT won. Dont believe that at the end of the season we will be saying the same thing. Its a marahon not a sprint. Good luck to all this region is going to fun. Most likely strongest top to bottom. Not saying the best team just the best collection of teams.
Last edited by wan2bqb on Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby nolan4 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:02 am

WEhaveAproblem wrote:Central cass 71 MNS 63
Worst officals I have seen in long time

This is when i stop reading a post!! I would guess the team you were cheering for lost????
nolan4
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:41 am

nolan4 wrote:

This is when i stop reading a post!! I would guess the team you were cheering for lost????

Nolan4, paragraph below is a post from you on 3/20/15. It isn't hard to find posts you have written complaining about officials and coaches. Just saying, glass houses.....

Well, I seen this afternoons games and second game was terribly reffed, and so far this games is, they are not letting them play at all, and i am not saying it is favoring anyone, but this afternoon it did........with that said, one coach got on the refs bad after a game, but the coach needs to look at himself, I have seen one poor coach out of the 8, and he got on the refs the worst. IMO

That being said, the quality of the officials tonight in Gwinner was definitely below average, and average isn't good anymore. But, they without question did a better job than they usually do. Did they have mistakes? Absolutely. But the job they did tonight was not horrible. I am not sure what "Wehaveaproblem" means when he said worst officials I have seen in a long time. The Bulldogs have had 2 of the 3 multiple times already this year, so they have been seen recently by Bulldog players and fans.

I do want to comment on a post that talked about a CC player dropping F bombs. I personally did not see or hear it. But, I did talk to different people some close to the F bomb directed toward an official and some where I was sitting. They all gave basically the same quote word for word. There is no place for that in high school athletics. Can tempers flair, get the best of you, and cause something like this to happen? Of coarse, but the official showed a poor laps in judgment by not correcting the player with a technical foul. That in my opinion was the officials most glaring failure.

The better team won tonight, without question. You can't give up the easy interior baskets that M/NS did and expect to beat a good team that moves the ball as well as CC. Congrats to the Squirrels :)
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby WEhaveAproblem » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:04 am

I should rephrase what I mean by the worst... when players are dropping F bombs that is a technical no matter what but they did nothing but warn them and they dropped it more than once so you would think second time for sure a technical nope nothing happened seemed like they looked the other way!! Other officals more than likely a technical on the first one...
WEhaveAproblem
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:26 am

The better team won tonight, without question. You can't give up the easy interior baskets that M/NS did and expect to beat a good team that moves the ball as well as CC. Congrats to the Squirrels :)[/quote]

Agreed last night Central Cass was the better team. Very talented. And I never blamed the refs I said the lack of control of games has become disturbing. If you play solid ball and are fundamentally sound the game will 99 out of 100 turn in your favor. Can't give up so many uncontested lay up and miss so many of your own. But I am with d_fense on this the refs need to not worry about the players/crowd reaction or the coaches tantrums and call the game as they see it. Name recognition and status should have nothing to do with high school sports. There were no Lebron James's or Kobe Bryant's on the court. Lets get back to fundamental basketball before every kid out there thinks they can cover a full court in 3 dribbles and 8 strides.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:31 pm

WEhaveAproblem wrote:Not blaming officials but when they talking joking with central cass people before game you know which way calls going to go
Plus mns best defender sitting out and not being able to guard Grady was big difference

It is not surprising that officials would joke and laugh with people. Officials have friends, just as coaches do, just as anyone does. To say that an official is going to be swayed by who they know in the stands is a slap in the face to all honest, hard-working officials.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby district2fanog » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:03 pm

Early predictions
1. Enderlin
2. MNS
3. CC
4. NC
5. Hank
6. WL
7. Kindred
8. OG
9. Richland
10. MV
11. Lisbon
12. SC
13. FCT

4. NC vs. FCT. NC
5. Hank vs. SC. Hank
6. WL vs. Lisbon
7. Kindred vs. MV. Kindred
8. OG vs, Richland. Richland
district2fanog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby RedDirtFan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:33 pm

I wasn't there but I highly doubt officiating had anything to do with the outcome. It very rarely does and when it does happen it NEVER has anything to do with favoritism. Relax.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby WEhaveAproblem » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:50 pm

Goolsbey and Kaufman not playing tonight for the Bulldogs??
WEhaveAproblem
NDPreps Reserve

Postby leroybla » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:30 pm

WEhaveAproblem wrote:Goolsbey and Kaufman not playing tonight for the Bulldogs??

what is the reason why they're not playing?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND-is-#1 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:04 pm

Big scores tonight in region 1..

Hankinsom upsets #9 Central Cass 66-64
Northern Cass slips my W/L 57-55 in OT
#4 M/NS just gets past Richland 61-56

Region 1 is very competitive this year with lots of talent. Anyone can beat anyone on any given night 1-8. Anyone at the Central Cass/Hankinsom game with details?
Last edited by ND-is-#1 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBEast » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:05 am

ND-is-#1 wrote:Big scores tonight in region 1..

#4 M/NS just gets passed Richland 61-56

Region 1 is very competitive this year with lots of talent. Anyone can beat anyone on any given night 1-8. Anyone at the Central Cass/Hankinsom game with details?

Central Cass just couldn't get anything going until the 4th quarter... lots of missed shots under the basket, bad passes, missed free throws, no energy until it was too late (they were down 10+ points much of the game). CC had a tough time with their big post (C. Mauch) too. But congrats to Grady Bresnahan on scoring is 1000th point tonight! Great milestone for a fantastic player.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:18 am

ND-is-#1 wrote:Big scores tonight in region 1..

#4 M/NS just gets passed Richland 61-56

Also other Region 1 finals:
Oak Grove def. Kindred 80-61
Lisbon def. Maple Valley 63-56
Enderlin def. Fairmount/CT 67-49
M-NS was 61-55 over Richland
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby wan2bqb » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:41 am

leroybla wrote:
WEhaveAproblem wrote:Goolsbey and Kaufman not playing tonight for the Bulldogs??

As I said in a previous comment I believe Coach Gleason is making a statement to reactions during Mondays game with CC. I will however clarify it was NOT a M-NS player directing F bombs at the ref. That would be another player mentioned in previous posts. I believe Coach Gleason was upset with how the M-NS players handled themselves when they perceived the calls were going against them. (outwardly displaying emotions) Its my opinion he is trying to make it clear to them that even if the calls are going the other way that the stronger team can still persevere by being stronger mentally than your opponent. It was evident last night in the Richland game that mental strength sometimes can pull you through when things out of your control seem to stacked against you. I think its a great lesson and I see it helping in the long run. (ie playoff time) Once again I congratulate Coach Gleason on taking a teaching opportunity to show two fine young men that doing things a certain way is more important for the team than allowing outside distractions bring them down to the level of the opponent. Mr. Goolsbey and Mr. Kaufman are both great kids that will take this lesson and grow from it. Wish more coaches took the same opportunity to teach as much.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:38 am

wan2bqb wrote:
leroybla wrote:

As I said in a previous comment I believe Coach Gleason is making a statement to reactions during Mondays game with CC. I will however clarify it was NOT a M-NS player directing F bombs at the ref. That would be another player mentioned in previous posts. I believe Coach Gleason was upset with how the M-NS players handled themselves when they perceived the calls were going against them. (outwardly displaying emotions) Its my opinion he is trying to make it clear to them that even if the calls are going the other way that the stronger team can still persevere by being stronger mentally than your opponent. It was evident last night in the Richland game that mental strength sometimes can pull you through when things out of your control seem to stacked against you. I think its a great lesson and I see it helping in the long run. (ie playoff time) Once again I congratulate Coach Gleason on taking a teaching opportunity to show two fine young men that doing things a certain way is more important for the team than allowing outside distractions bring them down to the level of the opponent. Mr. Goolsbey and Mr. Kaufman are both great kids that will take this lesson and grow from it. Wish more coaches took the same opportunity to teach as much.

They both must've played because they scored and are in the box score...I'm going to assume M-NS coach dropped playing time or pulled out of starting lineup then (still classy and a lesson-learned).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:32 am

was at the Hankinson/CC game last night - what an exciting game. Big win for Hankinson on the road and they had the lead for the majority of the game. Hankinson had great D on Bresnahan, yet somehow he still came away with 29 pts. How this kid is not mentioned on the All State Class B Top 15 list baffles me...I'd definitely have him top 10 if not top 5 overall. And he does these things at 5'9"

Cody Mauch was a beast in the middle and was tough to stop. CC did miss some gimmies, but credit the Hankinson defense. Intimidation is a factor to the missed shots, and Mauch had 2 blocks in the last 10 seconds to seal the victory. Hernandez was also on his game leading the way for his team with 24 pts. Leadership by Nick Mauch at the point was key and he was aggressive all night.

Region 1 is anybody's to take - Whoever is playing best at tournament time will represent the state well. Many games have been decided at the buzzer.

Very classy move when Bresnahan scored his 1,000 pt... the game was stopped and he gave the ball to his grandma who was sitting courtside. Great display of HS sports and a couple Hankinson kids met Grady at half court to congratulate him. Kudos to all!
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND-is-#1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:54 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
wan2bqb wrote:
leroybla wrote:

They both must've played because they scored and are in the box score...I'm going to assume M-NS coach dropped playing time or pulled out of starting lineup then (still classy and a lesson-learned).

I looked on max preps and both players definitely played. Goolsbey was third on the team in attempts last night with 9 and led them in rebounds and Kaufman had 5 attempts. I would assume Run is correct and they were just pulled from the starting lineup.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby wan2bqb » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Both played but sat the whole first quarter. I believe that Coach Gleason made his point. I also want to reiterate that these are good kids that the coach was just not happy with their reactions to specific situations. (My take on it) I can't speak for him or the boys but I believe a valuable lesson was learned.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby WEhaveAproblem » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:57 pm

Kindred 73 MNS 70
WEhaveAproblem
NDPreps Reserve

Postby heimer » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:53 pm

Didn't see the game, but will add this about officiating:

Did the VC at Central game Friday night. Saw two kids get mad at foul calls and spike the ball into the floor angrily at the ref. No call.

Saw a defender slap a backboard on a missed layup attempt so hard the backboard was still wobbling 30 seconds after the slap. No call, which I believe is basket interference, isn't it? Legit question, as Im not sure on the rule.

Seen three hockey fights this year, 2 of which had full-fledged punches in the face. No game DQs. Minor penalties only.

Conclusion: officials are definitely being swayed. They are being swayed by the bleeding-heart crap from parents that taking time away from the kid hurts the kid. We just can't call technicals and game DQs, or really make any controversial calls anymore, or we get sent to the prinicpals office for hurting the kid.

Also, coaches penalize refs who penalize them by withholding their nods for post-season assignments when their guys get the tough call levied against them. Refs want to work regionals and state, so they swallow the whistle and cow-tow to obnoxious coaches to keep their feeble attempt to work the post-season alive. This will not change till the power to determine post-season assignments is taken from obnoxious coaches and the NDHSAA actually makes a trip out into the field and evaluates the refs for themselves. The NDHSS should have eight regional refs that are considered the best in their region, and those refs should evaluate and assign officials, completely independently of coaches input.

Until this change is made, coaches will feel they can act like crazed bumholes and get away with it by holding a refs career success in their hands. And it's happening. I know it.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:59 pm

Heimer you are right about kids being more disrespectful I've seen the same thing but only from a few, most kids are helping each other up and running down a lose ball for the officials. Slapping the backboard is supposed to be basket interference. You are wrong about coaches tbinking their votes have anything to do with officials being selected. They get polled but it has very very little to do with the officials selected to regionals and state.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby heimer » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:42 am

Before you tell me I'm wrong, you may want to know that I'm not.

That polling has a lot more to do with it than you realize.

I know it. Officials tell me so, both those who do post-season assigning, and those that get screwed.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:59 am

"The NDHSS should have eight regional refs that are considered the best in their region, and those refs should evaluate and assign officials, completely independently of coaches input"

heimer, the problem with this statement is that who determines the regions best official? Because the officiating associations and the NDHSAA both don't rate or compare or even view the officials during the season. I agree that polling has a huge affect on the postseason...and have witnessed a few officials not 'T' up a coach because of intimidation (the feeling as if the coach holds the officials future in his hands) more than once so far this season.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:03 am

5 Region Games Tonight (2/1)

Oak Grove (3-3; 6-7) @ Milnor-North Sargent (7-2; 12-2)
Central Cass (4-1; 10-2) @ Enderlin (6-0; 11-3)
Wyndmere-Lidgerwood (3-4; 7-4) @ Maple Valley (1-5; 7-6)
Fairmount/CT (0-7; 1-10) @ Northern Cass (5-1; 10-3)
Richland (3-3; 5-7) @ Hankinson (5-3; 8-5)

One Non-Region Game
Sargent Central (1-12) @ Barnes County North (0-11)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

PreviousNext

Return to Boys