2013-14 Region Tourneys

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2013-14 Region Tourneys

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:54 am

Now I know why Region 2's title game wasn't last night (UND game), but IMO with the seeding that now takes place for the state tournament, they should have to find a venue so that all regions play on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday of Regional week. No exceptions. Just my opinion
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:20 am

The Schwab wrote:Now I know why Region 2's title game wasn't last night (UND game), but IMO with the seeding that now takes place for the state tournament, they should have to find a venue so that all regions play on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday of Regional week. No exceptions. Just my opinion

I agree 100%.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:38 am

EHS1998 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Now I know why Region 2's title game wasn't last night (UND game), but IMO with the seeding that now takes place for the state tournament, they should have to find a venue so that all regions play on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday of Regional week. No exceptions. Just my opinion

I agree 100%.

Since Venues are brought up, They should not allow regions played at a gym that hosted districts. No exceptions on that either(If district tourneys still remain)...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:52 am

for what reason though
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:00 pm

Because the state made the change a few years ago that Regionals had to be played on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday (some used to play opening day on Saturday) I think they should follow through with that. I also feel that it gives the Region 1 and 4 or any other coach that won last night an advantage of being able to go to GF to watch the Region 2 title game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:16 pm

The Schwab wrote:Because the state made the change a few years ago that Regionals had to be played on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday (some used to play opening day on Saturday) I think they should follow through with that. I also feel that it gives the Region 1 and 4 or any other coach that won last night an advantage of being able to go to GF to watch the Region 2 title game.

I see, I would agree to an extent, and tape (game) would be easily acquired but the Region 2 tournament cannot be played art Grafton or Mayville or any other home court, this rule has to go along with the Monday, Tuesday, Thursday rule IMO
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:19 pm

why do regions start on a Monday anyway? I think its dumb to have two teams play a 3pm game when they should be in school and most adults are working. Kills the atmosphere. Four games on a Saturday works fine. Play Sat, Tues, Thurs so there's a day of rest in between each round.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:22 pm

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Because the state made the change a few years ago that Regionals had to be played on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday (some used to play opening day on Saturday) I think they should follow through with that. I also feel that it gives the Region 1 and 4 or any other coach that won last night an advantage of being able to go to GF to watch the Region 2 title game.

I see, I would agree to an extent, and tape (game) would be easily acquired but the Region 2 tournament cannot be played art Grafton or Mayville or any other home court, this rule has to go along with the Monday, Tuesday, Thursday rule IMO

The Monday, Tuesday, Thursday has actually been a rule, the home court rule hasn't been one. Mayville State is not MPCG's home gym therefore I have no problem with the games being played there.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:26 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:why do regions start on a Monday anyway? I think its dumb to have two teams play a 3pm game when they should be in school and most adults are working. Kills the atmosphere. Four games on a Saturday works fine. Play Sat, Tues, Thurs so there's a day of rest in between each round.

Best idea I've heard in a long time! I too wonder how the NDHSAA gets by with talking out of both sides of their mouth - students need to be in school for education, which I agree with, yet when they have a chance to stand by that philosophy they start the region tournament during school time. Go figure...
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:30 pm

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:

The Monday, Tuesday, Thursday has actually been a rule, the home court rule hasn't been one. Mayville State is not MPCG's home gym therefore I have no problem with the games being played there.

first off then, if its a rule why is it happening..... and second, you would probably not like it in Mayville if you were in this Region
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:42 pm

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:

first off then, if its a rule why is it happening..... and second, you would probably not like it in Mayville if you were in this Region

I grew up in Region 2 winner, been to many a regional games there. I suppose the reason it is allowed to happen is they must have a contract with the Betty.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:43 pm

Let's face it. There are probably only 1-2 facilities in each region that can host a tournament of that size. More often than not, those two are also hosting districts so one of the districts will be held at the same location as the region in a lot of regions. It's just how it is, there is no getting around it. And if you want the region tournament to be centrally located in that region, you have even more limited choices.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:44 pm

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Region 5 has also had to move their dates in the past due to conflicts with the WDA or UMary
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:03 pm

Hinsa wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:why do regions start on a Monday anyway? I think its dumb to have two teams play a 3pm game when they should be in school and most adults are working. Kills the atmosphere. Four games on a Saturday works fine. Play Sat, Tues, Thurs so there's a day of rest in between each round.

Best idea I've heard in a long time! I too wonder how the NDHSAA gets by with talking out of both sides of their mouth - students need to be in school for education, which I agree with, yet when they have a chance to stand by that philosophy they start the region tournament during school time. Go figure...

I like the idea too, but there would have to be exceptions. What if UND, Jamestown or UMary have a game that Saturday? What are you going to do move the game to HMB HS?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:39 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
baloncesto wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Judging by the records of teams playing tomorrow I calculated that we could possibly have 15 teams with 20 wins before the state tournament starts (obviously some of them wouldn't be going to state) any one have any idea what the record for 20 win teams in a year for the state is (Run you would probably be the only person who could some how find this out lol.)

The most I could find was SIX 20-win teams at the START of the State Tourney. This year every region has a chance to put a 20-win team in the State Tourney.

Do you think that this is a testament to how good these teams are this year? Or do you think it is a result of a lack of quality in teams in the bottom of some of the regions aka lack of competition?

I think it can be a mixture. Every region is going to have some poor teams...but many of these teams with 20+ wins (or 19 at the moment) have played plenty of solid competition too. I can look into it more tomorrow & Friday to give more of a statistical view to things.

I found that in 2006's State Tourney ALL 8 teams had 20+ wins going into the State Tourney!!
MPCG (24-1), P-B-K (25-0), Shiloh Christian (22-2), Parshall (24-3), Bishop Ryan (23-2), Trinity (23-1), Richland (22-3), Four Winds (25-0)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Previous

Return to Boys