Last one to Lose

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Last one to Lose

Postby winner-within » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:36 am

are they deep, young ??

oh yea and hats off to Wichita ST...31-0... 8)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:24 pm

If you visited with someone who knows HS BB in ND the day bracket of the B last year, I would say these would be the questions...

Heidlebaugh looks good as an inside force...will he be able to step back and take the three??? Make himself even harder to defend.

Bernhardt was a role player...to what level can he bring his game??? How much work will he put in in the off season???

This Miller kid with the hurt knee...what can he do???

Any depth to replace the seniors lost???

Those who have seen Rugby to this point, I believe would answer these questions very similar...

Ok Winner, I'm throwing it back...Cavalier was playing in the same session what questions about that team???

The two returning teams are getting consideration for a Sat late night meet up...Also I think Cavalier has been dissed in the polls...I also think they are the real #2...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:30 pm

I just haven't seen Rugby play since last year at State....and I cant remember any exclusives

questions on the Cavalier squad are tough to answer because they mix it up so much, and to speculate both teams in the Ship is superfluous IMO.........this Tournament will be very entertaining I believe
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:52 pm

justplayalready wrote:If you visited with someone who knows HS BB in ND the day bracket of the B last year, I would say these would be the questions...

Heidlebaugh looks good as an inside force...will he be able to step back and take the three??? Make himself even harder to defend.

Bernhardt was a role player...to what level can he bring his game??? How much work will he put in in the off season???

This Miller kid with the hurt knee...what can he do???

Any depth to replace the seniors lost???

Those who have seen Rugby to this point, I believe would answer these questions very similar...

Ok Winner, I'm throwing it back...Cavalier was playing in the same session what questions about that team???

The two returning teams are getting consideration for a Sat late night meet up...Also I think Cavalier has been dissed in the polls...I also think they are the real #2...

Can Heidlebaugh make a 3? The answer is absolutely. He's a complete offensive player. Last year they had better perimeter play, so he stayed in the post. This year with Miller in the middle too, he plays on the perimeter a lot more. Can shoot, drive, and pass very well.

Bernhardt seems to have put in work. He is probably their 2nd most important player. As I said, he's a deadly 3 point shooter. When he's on, it's tough to help on their bigs.

Miller's knee had appeared to be fine. He's a big, athletic kid

Depth would be their only issue I suppose. They can only go about 7 deep, and the two off the bench aren't great. One guard about 6 foot who can shoot if open. The other is a post who's maybe 6'2. Not real skilled. They're both servicable, but not great.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndclassbb » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:28 pm

I have seen most of Rugby's games this year and I believe Every Rugby player contributes extensively to the team. The game isn't strictly about the offense as site comments seem to concentrate on. (nothing against any specific comment) :D
I realize that one must have the best box score to win; however, I also believe that defense seems to be a very under-rated skill. (either that or just plain ignored).
Where one of these players falls off the others pick up...offensively and defensively.
ndclassbb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:57 pm

I was wondering about their D...and they are the "Last one to Lose"....yes it takes a complete unit to take one away (stop) at one end, and put in one at the other.....

The team that beat the Cavalier Tornadoes this season lost a barn burner last night with Barnsville
Class AA...section B....I guess one kid had 35 points

Barnesville 102, Pelican Rapids 98...
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:14 pm

winner-within wrote:I was wondering about their D...and they are the "Last one to Lose"....yes it takes a complete unit to take one away (stop) at one end, and put in one at the other.....

The team that beat the Cavalier Tornadoes this season lost a barn burner last night with Barnsville
Class AA...section 8....I guess one kid had 35 points

Barnesville was up 20+ points and Pelican came back to close the gap behind their stud's 51 points. Barnesville played 1 ND team this year (W 46-32 over Richland w/o their best player).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby justplayalready » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:29 pm

winner-within wrote:I was wondering about their D...and they are the "Last one to Lose"....yes it takes a complete unit to take one away (stop) at one end, and put in one at the other.....

Class AA...section B....I guess one kid had 35 point

Rugby is just behind Cavalier in points allowed...they are able to create matchup problems with their d...I would be suprised if anyone gets more than 60 on them...
I put Rugby and Cav in final only because they were there last year and their team d...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:49 pm

Back in my day MN two class those 6A teams were tough...we won 8AA one year and had lost to Pelican....granted they did win the A that year. Those Rex Haugen coached teams were tough. Id guess they would compete with most ND A schools, other than big city schools...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:43 pm

winner-within wrote:Barnesville 102, Pelican Rapids 98...

Read a tweet last night, that I can't find now, that PR scored 45 points in the last 7 minutes an change.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:27 pm

Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:Barnesville 102, Pelican Rapids 98...

Read a tweet last night, that I can't find now, that PR scored 45 points in the last 7 minutes an change.

Yep I remember seeing that same tweet...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Indy5 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:49 pm

As I said in my first response, they are very good at defense and rebounding. They don't pressure the ball much, but just play sound d. Hamilton is an excellent defender. In the region tournament he matched up with 3 kids in a row who were all averaging around 25 a game and shut them all down. Limited Bosch of Bishop Ryan to 15, only had 6 going into the 4th. Austin Lee from Berthold struggled his way to 17 points on 4-19 shooting and in the title game Chris Duke had 14 with one being a 3 at the end once it was well over.

He's not the only good defender, and with their size, they rebound very well. Heidlebaugh is maybe the best rebounder I've seen. He had 15 boards in the title game, and most came in the first half because in the 2nd he was denying Holte on the perimeter the whole time.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:28 pm

Class AA...section B....I guess one kid had 35 points

this post was just information it had nothing to do with who lost to who and whos better than who,,,
I had seen the highlights on channel 11 last night and was like "hey thats the team Cavalier played in Hillsboro" and yes my fault, it was 51 not 35 points scored by the dude...Cavalier had a 7 point lead into the 4th and lost by 7....12 point turn around...but that game a reserve came in and hit three 3's...anyhow
I found it interesting
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:32 am

Bruggeman is a stud.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:12 pm

Fargo, ND (WDAY TV) - The class B boys’ basketball state tournament begins Thursday in Grand Forks and you'll see all the action live right here on WDAY-WDAZ and statewide ABC.

We're guaranteed to have a new state champ with Milnor left out of the field.

Here's a preview of what to expect from the teams crowding the Alerus Center this week.

The opening game on Thursday, features 2nd seeded Oak Grove against the surprising Flasher Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs are making their 2nd appearance in school history at the B, Flasher knocked out reigning Region 5 champ Shiloh Christian in the title game.

Flasher enters Grand Forks riding an 11-game win streak.

Oak Grove will try to snap it; the Grovers are the region 1 champs and are hunting for their first state championship since 2000.

Oak Grove boasts the top-scoring offense among the state tournament field, averaging 74 points per game.

3 players average over 12 points per game.

Junior Carter Kretchman has been a clutch player this season, we'll see if he shines on the big stage.

Game two, features 3rd seeded Cavalier against the Region 3 champ Linton HMB.

The Lions are in the state tournament, thanks to Andrew Small hitting the game-winning jumper in the final seconds of overtime against Strasburg-Zeeland.

Small came up big scoring 15 of the Lions last 37 points.

Linton-HMB is playing for its first title since 2009.

A first round win won't come easy against the top defense left in Class B, Cavalier holds opponents to an average of 45 and a half points per game.

The Tornadoes only loss this season came to a Minnesota team, Pelican Rapids.

Cavalier's run at a state title will likely come down to the dynamic duo that led them to a state football title earlier this year, look out for Ryan Chrest and Brock Robbins.

Game 3, features the number one overall seed.

Rugby, the Panthers are the only other team besides Cavalier, that's making a 2nd straight trip to the B.

Their opponent is New Town, who knocked out Watford City for the Region 8 title.

New Town's depth is its strength, and Wayne Fox is tough to stop for the Eagles.

He scored 25 in the region final and went over 1,000 points for his career.

Rugby counters with the only perfect record in class A or Class B, the Panthers enter 25-0 after beating Des Lacs-Burlington by 11 for the Region 6 championship.

The Panthers have a great chance to end their 73-year state title drought.

Junior Brad Heidlebaugh is one of the best in the state, averaging 24 points and 11 rebounds per game.

The night cap is a rematch of the last state championship played in Grand Forks, when Beulah took down North Star for the 2012 title.

North Star beat last year's state runner-up Four-Winds Minnewaukan in double-overtime to reach state, Alex Weston hit the game winning 3, he also had the game-tying 3 to send the game to overtime.

The Bearcats last wore the state crown in 2011.

They enter with the fewest wins in the field at 18.

Beulah has won 16 straight after beginning the year, with a 3-5 record. The Miners have balance on offense, and have been dominant lately on defense which could help them to their 2nd title in 3 years in Grand Forks.

Our live televised coverage begins state-wide on ABC on Thursday at 1 o'clock.

Opening with the Oak Grove Grovers against the Flasher Bulldogs.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:27 pm

Casey Walcker of Beulah is as athletic of a sophomore as you will see in North Dakota basketball.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:44 pm

balla45 wrote:Casey Walcker of Beulah is as athletic of a sophomore as you will see in North Dakota basketball.

I'm looking forward to watching Beulah, they were/are a nice team now 3 years in a row
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:31 pm

balla45 wrote:Casey Walcker of Beulah is as athletic of a sophomore as you will see in North Dakota basketball.

I'd agree. And wow, I forgot he's only a sophomore.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sticks11 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:40 am

Indy5 wrote:

I saw him play once this year, and yeah, I'd have to agree.......ridiculously athletic.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:57 am

About a week ago the 76ers retired #3 Allen Iverson's jersey ..........

who woulda thought he came back as #10 playing in the ND State tournament for Oak Grove...wow what a performance..

Rugby lost 1 game this season, unfortunately it was their last one, and the last one to lose was the last game of the season it self..... a lot of Last's....bright spot? they werent last place, they were second place and undoubtedly a tremendous force..

But thats Basketball....I thought Rugby come out almost to aggressively (as a game plan) the Grovers hung in there and the rest is history....Congrats to the teams who made the state tournament one of the most entertaining I've watched... :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:55 am

I had the Shockers going all the way to play Michigan State then unfortunately loosing to the Big Ten powerhouse ....and HeII yes I'm mad about the bracket layout having Kentucky and Wichita St. playing befor the sweet sixteen was stupid IMO....but talent beat experience and Callipari looks like a genius to most (not me) haha......35-1 was a good run
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby HighPlainsDrifter » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:17 pm

Sticks11 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

I saw him play once this year, and yeah, I'd have to agree.......ridiculously athletic.

I only saw him play in the NS game in the state tourney. That guy has the sweetest jump shot I've seen in HS BB. If Beulah had just fed him the ball every time down the court, they would have won that game.
HighPlainsDrifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby justplayalready » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:19 am

HighPlainsDrifter wrote:
Sticks11 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

I only saw him play in the NS game in the state tourney. That guy has the sweetest jump shot I've seen in HS BB. If Beulah had just fed him the ball every time down the court, they would have won that game.

Was he in an arm sling during parade of champs??? As to why????
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:24 am

HighPlainsDrifter wrote:
Sticks11 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

He is smooth and I think he went for 13 straight points in that game....he played well against Cavalier too
I dont find him "ridiculously athletic" (like it states above) I see him as just a real solid well rounded player for his age...
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:08 am

Not ridiculously athletic? He won state long jump and took third in triple jump last year as a freshman. He also is the only eighth grader I know that could windmill. He played the majority of the season with a broken left wrist.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys