2022-23 Boys All State Team

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2022-23 Boys All State Team

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:00 am

Congrats to the guys that were selected did the all state teams.

First Team:
Deng Deng, Jr., Four Winds-Minnewaukan
Bohden Duffield, Jr., Bowman County
Tyson Enget, Sr., Powers Lake/Burke Central (NDAPSSA Mr. Basketball Finalist)
Javin Friesz, Jr., Flasher
Ayden Stainbrook, Sr., North Border (NDAPSSA Mr. Basketball Finalist)

Second Team:
Carson Bartholomay, Sr., Enderlin
Walker Braaten, Soph. Westhope-Newburg
TJ Cosley, Sr., North Border
Bishop Duffield, Jr., Bowman County
Brady Feller, Sr., Bishop Ryan
​​Trey Hatfield, Sr. Oak Grove
Connor Kerzmann, Sr., Garrison
Landon Koenig, Sr., May-Port-CG
Mitchell Leas, Sr., North Prairie
Carson Yale, Sr., Des Lacs-Burlington
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Re: 2022-23 Boys All State Team

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:03 pm

BasketballMind wrote:Congrats to the guys that were selected did the all state teams.

First Team:
Deng Deng, Jr., Four Winds-Minnewaukan
Bohden Duffield, Jr., Bowman County
Tyson Enget, Sr., Powers Lake/Burke Central (NDAPSSA Mr. Basketball Finalist)
Javin Friesz, Jr., Flasher
Ayden Stainbrook, Sr., North Border (NDAPSSA Mr. Basketball Finalist)

Second Team:
Carson Bartholomay, Sr., Enderlin
Walker Braaten, Soph. Westhope-Newburg
TJ Cosley, Sr., North Border
Bishop Duffield, Jr., Bowman County
Brady Feller, Sr., Bishop Ryan
​​Trey Hatfield, Sr. Oak Grove
Connor Kerzmann, Sr., Garrison
Landon Koenig, Sr., May-Port-CG
Mitchell Leas, Sr., North Prairie
Carson Yale, Sr., Des Lacs-Burlington

I’m usually pretty quick to defend the all state team, but this feels like a miss to me.
4 of the top 15 guys in the state played on 2 teams. Neither made the state. One didn’t get out of the first round of the regional. Not a guy from the championship team, 2nd place team, 3rd place team, 5th place team, etc…….

Not a bad player in the bunch. But I can think of 4-5 just from my area that I think belong.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:15 pm

Usually comes down to statistics and a team like Central Cass or Thompson were very balanced (which may explain why they did so well...any night any player stepped up).

Always snubs when it comes to All-State but it's supposed to be something 'elite' as only 15 are named (sometimes a few extra for ties) from the 1400-1500 varsity Class B Players in the State. I bet you there were some close misses from the 15 and that 16-20 are some solid names...but that's the case every year, IMO.

This is a NDAPSSA vote from 15-20 media organizations from each corner of the State...from a compilation of nominated players from each Region
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RiverMiner99 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:44 pm

WalkingStick wrote:Usually comes down to statistics and a team like Central Cass or Thompson were very balanced (which may explain why they did so well...any night any player stepped up).

Always snubs when it comes to All-State but it's supposed to be something 'elite' as only 15 are named (sometimes a few extra for ties) from the 1400-1500 varsity Class B Players in the State. I bet you there were some close misses from the 15 and that 16-20 are some solid names...but that's the case every year, IMO.

This is a NDAPSSA vote from 15-20 media organizations from each corner of the State...from a compilation of nominated players from each Region

You are absolutely right on this. Not sure why there seems to be more talk about it this year. This award and all tournament teams are all about points scored. None of the other stats and non statisical things seem to come into play. That is why they are call individual awards. Most players would prefer the award the CC got!
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:50 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:Usually comes down to statistics and a team like Central Cass or Thompson were very balanced (which may explain why they did so well...any night any player stepped up).

You are absolutely right on this. Not sure why there seems to be more talk about it this year. This award and all tournament teams are all about points scored. None of the other stats and non statisical things seem to come into play. That is why they are call individual awards. Most players would prefer the award the CC got!

I haven’t seen any other talk about this?
All state should be the best players, not the best stats. Someone score 26 a night on a 7 win team doesn’t make them one of the 15 best players in the state.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby RiverMiner99 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:52 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
RiverMiner99 wrote:

I haven’t seen any other talk about this?
All state should be the best players, not the best stats. Someone score 26 a night on a 7 win team doesn’t make them one of the 15 best players in the state.

You must not follow ND sports accounts on Twitter. :D
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:00 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:You are absolutely right on this. Not sure why there seems to be more talk about it this year. This award and all tournament teams are all about points scored. None of the other stats and non statisical things seem to come into play. That is why they are call individual awards. Most players would prefer the award the CC got!

Obviously, not all about the points. Two kids from North Border made it and the kid that was on the 2nd team averaged around 5 more PPG than the guy that was on the first team.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby RiverMiner99 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:41 pm

Flip, you are right it's not all points. I should have said overly weighted towards points. Also, points scored are very important.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:54 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:Flip, you are right it's not all points. I should have said overly weighted towards points. Also, points scored are very important.

Flying Wallenda wrote:All state should be the best players, not the best stats. Someone score 26 a night on a 7 win team doesn’t make them one of the 15 best players in the state.

But it's not just points scored.

Points scored factors in to the decisions but I'm sure EVERY statistic is given to all the voters (PPG, RPG, APG, SPG, BPG, percentages).
I believe this is voted on by a points system (like Mr. Basketball) probably something like a 15-1 vote system.

I know players like Braaten fill up the stat sheet every night (same with his sister)...just cause they don't go undefeated or fails to make it to State doesn't mean these players don't belong in the conversation as best players in the State.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:02 pm

OK, I'll bite on this one.

Cruz Hernandez (Region 1, Hankinson) not making the top 15 is a tough one to swallow. I haven't seen a better defensive player in all of Class B. A five year starter, Cruz was the Sr leader on a Hankinson team that made a deep run in the Region 1 tourney and took Central Cass to the wire in mid-season, losing by 1. If you did a vote on the Region 1 basketball players, or anyone that watched the Region 1 tournament, I would bet they would all agree with my take.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:50 pm

Am a Region 4 fan so biased and already 2 from the region on there, but Hagler (North Star) and Leftbear (FW-M) were stellar all year long.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:34 pm

Flip wrote:Obviously, not all about the points. Two kids from North Border made it and the kid that was on the 2nd team averaged around 5 more PPG than the guy that was on the first team.

To me that proves the opposite of the point you are making. Two kids from a team that didn't win a game at regionals made it because PPG were high....I'm not saying they aren't two great players but 6 of the 8 teams at the state tournament didn't get a player on.........seems to me like PPG must have played a pretty dang big role in that
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:58 am

I completely agree good players can not make their teams win the big games and get to state. GREAT players that are more worried about their team and a win. All State Team is about Stats..... If you are saying a couple CC kids decided they wanted to average 25 points a game could not have done that... they could have... they play for the right reason. All State is about how many points get scored. To many awards are based around how many points you score. A kid how can put up 8 points, grab 16 rebounds, 6 assists, 5 steals and plays shutdown defense does not get on this team.... But that kid is going to lead his team to victory more times than not. Great players make average players better... Those are the kids that get my vote.
We had this talk about a player from Region 1 taking over 20 plus shots a game and even in the 30's.... Did his team win... nope.... but he got his stats.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby leroybla » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:36 am

maddog1971 wrote:I completely agree good players can not make their teams win the big games and get to state. GREAT players that are more worried about their team and a win. All State Team is about Stats..... If you are saying a couple CC kids decided they wanted to average 25 points a game could not have done that... they could have... they play for the right reason. All State is about how many points get scored. To many awards are based around how many points you score. A kid how can put up 8 points, grab 16 rebounds, 6 assists, 5 steals and plays shutdown defense does not get on this team.... But that kid is going to lead his team to victory more times than not. Great players make average players better... Those are the kids that get my vote.
We had this talk about a player from Region 1 taking over 20 plus shots a game and even in the 30's.... Did his team win... nope.... but he got his stats.
It's a beauty contest. That no player on an undefeated state championship is worthy of the all state team, while a player on a 5-win team (with no wins over a team with a winning record) is worthy speaks volumes. The player on the losing team(s) obviously didn't play any defense and must be accorded that deficiency when evaluating his body of work.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby q » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:55 am

Each region has a representative who polls the coaches. Players are nominated based on that feedback. In addition to statistics, quotes from coaches and media outlets are included. If it were based strictly on points per game, the All-State team would have a different look to it.
q -- the only letter that does not appear in any US state name
q
NDPreps Reserve

Postby justplayalready » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:03 am

There seems to be some weight to prior year(s) performance in the B also...at least gets the media attention..
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:07 am

leroybla wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:I completely agree good players can not make their teams win the big games and get to state. GREAT players that are more worried about their team and a win. All State Team is about Stats..... If you are saying a couple CC kids decided they wanted to average 25 points a game could not have done that... they could have... they play for the right reason. All State is about how many points get scored. To many awards are based around how many points you score. A kid how can put up 8 points, grab 16 rebounds, 6 assists, 5 steals and plays shutdown defense does not get on this team.... But that kid is going to lead his team to victory more times than not. Great players make average players better... Those are the kids that get my vote.
It's a beauty contest. That no player on an undefeated state championship is worthy of the all state team, while a player on a 5-win team (with no wins over a team with a winning record) is worthy speaks volumes. The player on the losing team(s) obviously didn't play any defense and must be accorded that deficiency when evaluating his body of work.

Why is it obvious that he didnt play any defense?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:15 am

A lot of fair points being brought up. Honestly believe it should go back to 10 total players. 5 first team, 5 second team. Think it would make the process easier all around and make the award even more "prestigious". 2 cents.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby q » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:20 am

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:A lot of fair points being brought up. Honestly believe it should go back to 10 total players. 5 first team, 5 second team. Think it would make the process easier all around and make the award even more "prestigious". 2 cents.

Because of three classes, it's already been talked about and likely to happen.
q -- the only letter that does not appear in any US state name
q
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:40 am

5 win team or not, the player averaged a double-double and was the main reason why that team had 5 wins or even was in games at all. Player in question led his team in steals and blocks so he must have played some defense

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:38 pm

Well plain and simple right or wrong... It is how many points you put up. Same thing in college and the pro's. Teams that win at the high school in North Dakota can not be successful with one player putting up 25 shots and game.... leaking out all the time to try and get a dunk... Winning teams have kids getting dirty on defense and unselfish on the offensive end.... Some night they will put up 30 and some nights they can put up 6 as long as the team wins.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:23 pm

Not every team has the luxury of having 3, 4 or 5 players who can carry the scoring load and be equally effective on the defensive end. Many teams only have 1 or 2 scoring threats and those kids are usually getting double teamed. It's not an easy task picking the all-state team and we are never going to unanimously agree on all selections. Looking at this year's team, I think there could have been some misses, but it would be difficult to take 1 off to add another. Congrats to the winners, it's a great honor.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:44 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Not every team has the luxury of having 3, 4 or 5 players who can carry the scoring load and be equally effective on the defensive end. Many teams only have 1 or 2 scoring threats and those kids are usually getting double teamed. It's not an easy task picking the all-state team and we are never going to unanimously agree on all selections. Looking at this year's team, I think there could have been some misses, but it would be difficult to take 1 off to add another. Congrats to the winners, it's a great honor.

Agreed, CC just like Kindred two year ago had 3 kids off the bench that would have started for 50% of the other teams at the state tournament and 99% of the other teams in the state. You got the biggest prize of them all, don't understand all the backlash.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:00 pm

packers21 wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Not every team has the luxury of having 3, 4 or 5 players who can carry the scoring load and be equally effective on the defensive end. Many teams only have 1 or 2 scoring threats and those kids are usually getting double teamed. It's not an easy task picking the all-state team and we are never going to unanimously agree on all selections. Looking at this year's team, I think there could have been some misses, but it would be difficult to take 1 off to add another. Congrats to the winners, it's a great honor.

Agreed, CC just like Kindred two year ago had 3 kids off the bench that would have started for 50% of the other teams at the state tournament and 99% of the other teams in the state. You got the biggest prize of them all, don't understand all the backlash.

Interestingly, a lot of the backlash is coming from the non-CC fans.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Region 1 Fan » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:14 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Well plain and simple right or wrong... It is how many points you put up. Same thing in college and the pro's. Teams that win at the high school in North Dakota can not be successful with one player putting up 25 shots and game.... leaking out all the time to try and get a dunk... Winning teams have kids getting dirty on defense and unselfish on the offensive end.... Some night they will put up 30 and some nights they can put up 6 as long as the team wins.

Hard to believe that the Government allowed you to have kids - DA!
Every situation is different. I know the kid you are referring to and he avg'd 19 shots per game while knocking down 60% EFG, grabbing 8.4 rebounds and 2.3 steals a game. What coach wouldn't want a kid like that on his/her team? How is he different than a Klabo, Eaglestaff, Stainbrook, Cosley, Leach (MN side) or whomever is on this list. Who on this list shot less than 14 or15 times per game. The answer is zero! How many kids avg'd 55% shooting on the year, just one - the kid you are knocking. Some years you don't have the same depth as in years past and kids have to take on more. The kid that you are referring to and taking jabs at played the top of a 1.3.1 all year and still avg'd over 8 boards a game and 2.3 steals per game. Last game of the year, he went 16 for 28 with 12 boards. Yes, he scored 37 points but if he didn't produce on that night, his team would have lost by much more than what they did. His team didn't win, you are correct on that but it wasn't for his effort or production. You point out that they just about beat CC when he didn't play. Yes, team played well that game but CC also didn't play so well and missed a lot of shots they normally don't. How about when they played Maple River, he didn't play that game and I don't know if they scored 50 points that game - got beat anyway and the kid you keep taking shots at didn't play that game as well. Great players make others around them better but at some point, there is only so much one person can do if the talent on the team isn't there like in years past. During those down years, there will be 1 or 2 kids that will have to front more of the workload on certain ends of the court. Going to be that way for the next few years for this school. Just how it is sometimes. 15 spots on the All State team: 5 for 1st team and 10 for 2nd team. All kids on this list are very deserving. Who would you take off and who would you add: Be nice, objective and provide facts instead of hate for your reasoning - Might be difficult for a couple of people on here. I can think of 10 or so more that could have easily made this list as well, including a couple from CC, this years State Champion. One of the more balanced and deep teams that I can think of in the past 15 plus years. This year, they had I believe 4 kids avging double figures, most teams don't have that luxury. A couple of them could have easily avg'd over 20 points a game IMO and if they were playing at OG or Enderlin this year, and happen to replace Enderlin and OG's stud players in the line-up, they would put up as many or more shots and probably produce 20 plus points a game as well and they would have been asked/expected to do that. I would say both kids elevated their teams but they just didn't have enough depth and talent around them to be serious threats to come out of the Region. At the end of the day, 26.7 points, 8.4 rebounds, 2.3 steals per game is impressive but you are right, it didn't get the team to State. Same goes for NB, FourWinds, Minot Ryan and some other very talented teams that have kids playing at the next level next year. Guess they are just not very good in your opinion. You are truly a basketball savant Maddog.
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Boys