General Boys BB thread

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: General Boys BB thread

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:05 pm

How much has illness played into this year. I have not heard of one team getting shut down for COVID this year. Are parents just not telling others their kids has the Vid?
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:16 pm

Can't have Covid without a positive test... :mrgreen:
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:46 pm

There are plenty of teams that have had to postpone games because of Covid...but it's not being broadcasted statewide when it happens. I think there have been 8 teams affected that I know of so far.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:54 pm

Influenza has been as much if not more of a problem than Covid. I know multiple teams that have had to postpone games because they have had almost no guys left who weren't sick. Or who have played but are missing 1/2 their JV because of sickness. I also have heard from multiple coaches that their kids had it worst over Christmas break when they didn't have many games but missed tons of practice. It isn't getting broadcasted loud and proud but it is happening more than you think.

I think Justplay is right too. A lot of kids playing sick who aren't getting tested.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby lennylive » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:06 pm

Big game tonight
#2 Kindred vs #6 Thompson

If Thompson plays like they did against NB..I give them the win.
Kindred is more physical team, but I think Thompson has the shooters. 52-48
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:34 pm

WalkingStick wrote:There are plenty of teams that have had to postpone games because of Covid...but it's not being broadcasted statewide when it happens. I think there have been 8 teams affected that I know of so far.

of those 8 schools...6 are in the western half

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:12 pm

I think Thompson has really figured out something with the Zone they are playing but I think everyone is playing for Kindred tonight so I will take Kindred 48 to 42.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby lennylive » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:42 pm

OOOF..Kindred looks tough. They won last year playing defense..that has NOT changed.
Thompson had no answers the 2nd half.
Woehl has those boys primed.
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:13 am

Thompson is better than I thought they would be. They have a real shot at making it to State out of Region 2. They lack some depth right now but the young kids for them will keep them at the top of Region 2 for at least 3 more years. Good looking JV program as well.

Kindred forgot to play the second quarter and the beginning of the 3rd. They forgot that their defense wins games.... BUT then a couple really alley oop dunks = energy and Kindred went on a 17-0 run and it was over. I think it was 7 dunks in a 12 minutes of basketball killed Thompson.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby chief45 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:31 am

lennylive wrote:Watched the Flasher vs Standing Rock game..Flasher looks legit. They move the ball very well on offense, not alot of dribbling, smart on their passing, everyone touches the ball, everyone shoots, seems to have 2 or more men in the paint on offensive shots most of the time. They hustle back on defense and do a great job of blocking out.
Standing Rock didnt shoot the ball well from my POV, got out rebounded. Very good Hustle though on D, and seemed to have alot of determination.
If I was to choose out of either of these teams to go to state from this Region, I would go with Flasher. I havent watched Shiloh play yet..will probalbly watch their game against Kindred if it is available on the web. I Would like to see some new blood .. Go Bulldogs !

Last night I Watched the Ellendale vs LLM game last night on laptop while watching the Enderlin vs NC game on my tv.
LLM gave Ellendale everything they wanted, I thought they were going to pull that off. They have a great coach who can ready them for any tough opponent. Very determined team. Ellendale looked good for the most part with Wagner being the main force. Going to be tough to choose between who comes out of that Region.
Eagles had a horrible 1st half think they had 9 turnovers,(15 for the game I think) they seem to always start slow in the 1st half. 2nd half they turned it up and started knocking down the shots. Foul trouble haunted them in this game, but they survived a very good NC team that pulls 4 off the bench. Wall stepped up and kept them in the game. 3 guys in double figures, Carson with 9(all in the 4th)..pretty even balanced scoring across the board.
They will need to find a way to get their game more balanced from the start (especially against a team that can shoot)..but all and all Good 2nd half for them...And a Win ! Should move back to #3 with NB getting beat by a very solid Thompson Team.

For Region 5 I'm leaning towards Bismarck Shiloh Christian.... again. Having seen all the Region 5 teams play I think they are the favorite, with Flasher being a very close second. I think Bismarck Shiloh Christians size & depth is the difference.

Region 3 is a two team race between the two you listed. Again, as stated above, I believe Size will be the difference & Ellendale will get it done.
chief45
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:02 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Thompson is better than I thought they would be. They have a real shot at making it to State out of Region 2. They lack some depth right now but the young kids for them will keep them at the top of Region 2 for at least 3 more years. Good looking JV program as well.

Kindred forgot to play the second quarter and the beginning of the 3rd. They forgot that their defense wins games.... BUT then a couple really alley oop dunks = energy and Kindred went on a 17-0 run and it was over. I think it was 7 dunks in a 12 minutes of basketball killed Thompson.

I look at Thompson's depth compared to the depth of other top teams in region 2 right now and I think they are ok actually. North Border has 5 and sort of a 6th kid....sort of depending on if he is able to play. It is hard to say they are that much shallower than HCV when they beat them twice already - once by a lot. The next group of Mayport and Grafton don't have the size or top end talent to keep up with them (from what I have seen). I look at those top three teams and I wouldn't pick another matchup to go any other way but Thompsons based on what I have seen. Can those two teams win? Yes absolutely, but I think HCV lacks the guard play and scoring to get through a 3 game regional and NB is going to struggle to go 3 games in 4 days playing 5.5 kids without getting exhausted, having some sort of injury, or getting in foul trouble. I would take Thompson vs. the field as the favorite out of region 2 and I think it is another year where having the one seed is going to be a big deal because I don't think 8 or 9 in game one or 4 or 5 in game two can really push the one seed unless something crazy happens.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:59 pm

The lack of depth comes from the fact they are young.... They don't have a group of Seniors they can lean on for experience. I am picking them to come out of the region but I think HCV has the experience, the depth where they can handle the grind but I completely agree scoring has been a problem if their defense is not on its game.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:06 pm

I didn't expect to turn on the livestream and see a 12-9 score in the 2nd quarter for CC/OG; I expected for it to be in the 30s by now

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:20 pm

WalkingStick wrote:I didn't expect to turn on the livestream and see a 12-9 score in the 2nd quarter for CC/OG; I expected for it to be in the 30s by now

2nd quarter woes and oh my the fouls dooming OG vs. Central Cass.

OG led 12-9 after 1st...CC leads 39-23 at the half (15-4 in fouls...but they are all fouls).

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:07 pm

for CC, Soph. guard Vrchota scores 31.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:54 pm

leroybla wrote:for CC, Soph. guard Vrchota scores 31.

Holzer’s footwork is solid in paint

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:27 pm

Maple River blows an 11 point lead with 55 seconds to go, but goes on to win in OT.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:54 pm

vikingman wrote:Maple River blows an 11 point lead with 55 seconds to go, but goes on to win in OT.

The joy of playing in Tower City…you never what type of game you are going to get if you don’t take control of the game right away

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby lennylive » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:24 am

3 key matchups tonight
Bowman Co vs Flasher..Im going with the home team Flasher by 6
Oak Grove vs Thompson... if OG gets on a roll shooting its theirs..otherwise I say Thompson bounces back from lose to Kindred
LLM vs Carrington...I will go with LLM by 10
1 more game that will be interesting
Velva vs Bottineau...dont know much about either team... Im going to go with Velva
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby leroybla » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:54 pm

Wow! Oak Grove took down Thompson 64-50 tonite in Fargo. Rodriguez scored 24 to lead OG. Close game for most of the first 3 quarters. OG started playing better defense.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lennylive » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:58 pm

well looks like OG is going to take down #6 tonight...leaving me to think that the only team in the state to defeat a Region 1 top team is 4WM. And my choice for Region 2 has changed from Thompsoin to ???
Region 1 ...hands down has the toughest in Region competition.

After Maple River defeating NC... and the competition of Enderlin, Kindred, CC,... I would bet that This is no doubt the toughest Region in the state.
IMO, ...Region 1 tourney will be like a mini-state tourney

LLM wins
flasher wins
and surprise win..Bottineau ...go Braves !..shoulda stuck with my original thought..lol
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:14 pm

I'll take my R1 blinders off (wait I don't even know where mine are at); Region 7 is still pretty darn tough as is Region 2 (not as deep with talent)

Also realize...the polls are always east heavy because most of the voters for the poll are from the east.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby lennylive » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:18 pm

WalkingStick wrote:I'll take my R1 blinders off (wait I don't even know where mine are at); Region 7 is still pretty darn tough as is Region 2 (not as deep with talent)

Also realize...the polls are always east heavy because most of the voters for the poll are from the east.

I doubt if you took the top 4 from the west against the top 4 Enderlin,Kinderd,4WM and ? CC? from the east..that the top 3 wouldnt be East side winning 1,2,3..and probably 4th place..but that would only happen in a round robin style tourney..because we all know how tournements are paired up 1vs 8 2 vs 7 etc etc

But I agree Region7 is by far the 2nd toughest Region in State
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby classB4ever » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:28 am

Before you people break your arms patting yourselves on the back, I suggest you look at more than 1 1/2 years to see where the success has been region wise. Guessing Region 4, Region 2 and Region 7 might have something to say. Maybe you should check out the last 10 years? Also, might not be too surprising that the most densely populated portion of the state has more teams being successful. Wow.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby lennylive » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:27 pm

Past state champs..2nd...3rd,4th
2021..Kindred,EKM,Grafton,4WM
2020...covid..I would say Richland, 4WM ,Grafton and EKM would have done Very well
2019...Thompson, Shiloh Christian, Richland,Bishop Ryan
2018...Hillsboro-Central Valley, Bishop Ryan, St. John, Carrington
2017...Hillsboro-Central Valley, Four Winds-Minnewaukan, Ellendale, Fargo Oak Grove
2016... Four Winds-Minnewaukan, Our Redeemer's, Dickinson Trinity, Shiloh Christian, Northern Cass
2015....Rugby, Four Winds-Minnewaukan, Fargo Oak Grove, LaMoure-LM,
2014...Fargo Oak Grove, Rugby, North Star, Linton-HMB
2013...: Milnor, Four Winds-Minnewaukan, Trenton, LaMoure-LM

Taking 22 of the 32 top 4 places pretty much says it..and of the covid year I would say at least 2 wouldve placed top 4..if not 3

I was just stating that the East has dominated as of recently..wasnt saying the West didnt have any talent Region wise..but the EAST has dominated...BigTime in the past 9 years.. And yes..High Density in population makes for the opportunity to have more talent so to speak.
Prior to 2013..The west dominated...many Western teams placed in the top 4 spots from 2000-2013
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys