SoDak 16

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: SoDak 16

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:12 pm

The part about Four Winds was the ignorant part.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:14 pm

Way back in my day.....

We had an all-state basketball and football player who suddenly began receiving letters from a private school offering him an "academic scholarship" to attend their school. He had a GPA below 2.9 and scored lower than a 21 on his ACT....not quite the academic performance that warrants a scholarship so it is quite possible it was him being recruited for his athletic ability. I only mention this because yes some private schools do recruit...all of them all of the time...no...but some of them some of the time...yes.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby senditin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:53 pm

If a kid turns 19, that student is no longer eligible for competion per NDHSAA rules and they keep close track of it. FWM has never broken that rule but thanks to people like you the idea is still out there. Ironically, a NA school lost a state championship to a team with a player who wasnt in compliance with the age rule. See Youtube, Elbowwoods BB.
senditin
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND Basketball Fan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:13 pm

senditin wrote:If a kid turns 19, that student is no longer eligible for competion per NDHSAA rules and they keep close track of it. FWM has never broken that rule but thanks to people like you the idea is still out there. Ironically, a NA school lost a state championship to a team with a player who wasnt in compliance with the age rule. See Youtube, Elbowwoods BB.

Thank you for clarifying. I agree, my post was ignorant as I didn't have facts to back what I was saying. My apologies and I will delete the post (if possible).
ND Basketball Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsnut5 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:19 pm

Age 19 student-athletes are eligible, once a student turns 20, they are no longer eligible.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

Postby urserious » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:21 pm

senditin wrote:If a kid turns 19, that student is no longer eligible for competion per NDHSAA rules and they keep close track of it. FWM has never broken that rule but thanks to people like you the idea is still out there. Ironically, a NA school lost a state championship to a team with a player who wasnt in compliance with the age rule. See Youtube, Elbowwoods BB.

Took way to long to give Elbowwoods that cham over 60 years. I think that age of competition is 20 and it has happened in the past at FW.
urserious
NDPreps Reserve

Postby senditin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:23 pm

Thanks for correcting my mistake, it's 20. Ya that happened way back in the 80's.
senditin
NDPreps Starter

Postby woodchuck10 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:00 pm

FW was suspended from continuing postseason play (2009) and from competition in postseason (2010), for an ineligible player(too many semesters) there was rumors of a player on that team that was 20 but they weren’t suspended for that player. So it’s not entirely ignorant. Especially considering it’s the same coach and AD that received the suspension.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:49 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:I think it would work but first you need to get to three classes because i still think it would take years before we would get third class in basketball and volleyball. If that happened i believe number of schools would just have hard time fielding a team because number of the small schools kids would just not care if they played that sport or not. I have been watching now for number years do realize there at least number of smaller schools that haven't even played in regional semifinal in over 10 years and some now approaching 20 years in basketball and Volleyball. This is what has happened in past 30 years we have a group of elite larger schools that continually are ones that play at regional and state level and group smaller schools that just put a team together each year but no real expectations are expected because they know that they will never be able to compete against these larger schools. Once this attitude happens we have failed system and fixing may take years or generation even if we address the issues . The funny thing here in North Dakota when it comes to football we have plan every two years to address this competitive issues for the various size schools The basketball and volleyball we have not addressed this issue in more than 40 years and even now its just about impossible to have discussion about this with activities association. Under the present conditions we have i don't care that number of schools like in region 1 and 2 don't make the state tournament because to truly have state tournament you need whole state represented regionally or its not state tournament. My feelings on those regions and schools from larger cities they are in wrong classification to begin with they should be with large class A schools they would then have as much a chance to win as small schools in class b do against them. I remember quote in Grand Forks Herald when Grafton one of the larger class b schools were class A there numbers were down so bad they couldn't get kids to compete against these larger schools because they didn't think they could win. The funny thing here is these same schools forget its no different with small schools now competing against there larger class b schools. This is why i have lost intensity of interest in class b sports because this issue had not been addressed . I also think this has happened state wide for large number of people but nothing has been done about it and now i don't think it will ever be done because nobody wants to take risk financially for the needs of smaller because they do not out weigh needs of the large and system it supports.

Nailed it! Nobody can argue with you! Now we just need representation to make the change.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby senditin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:39 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:FW was suspended from continuing postseason play (2009) and from competition in postseason (2010), for an ineligible player(too many semesters) there was rumors of a player on that team that was 20 but they weren’t suspended for that player. So it’s not entirely ignorant. Especially considering it’s the same coach and AD that received the suspension.

Woodchuck, your jealousy is showing. That's ok, if taking cheapshots at FW makes you feel better for all the times they beat you then go for it. We'll take the W's.
senditin
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:08 pm

isn't everything he said true?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:53 am

defensewinsgames wrote:Way back in my day.....

We had an all-state basketball and football player who suddenly began receiving letters from a private school offering him an "academic scholarship" to attend their school. He had a GPA below 2.9 and scored lower than a 21 on his ACT....not quite the academic performance that warrants a scholarship so it is quite possible it was him being recruited for his athletic ability. I only mention this because yes some private schools do recruit...all of them all of the time...no...but some of them some of the time...yes.

100% spot on. Not too long ago I was at a Team Camp and heard an elderly gentleman telling one of our players how he and his wife had their basement set up like an apartment and that his wife would cook for him, do his laundry, etc... and how he would get a great education and they could even find some help for the tuition payments if that was necessary. When we reported it to the NDHSAA we were told that because he was not officially affiliated with that Private School there was nothing they could do about. The coaches may not recruit, but others supporters of their schools do.
Sportsrube
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:56 am

I also think the no boundaries thing creates a natural recruitment without there having to be a sales pitch from coaches and school staff. If you are a good high school basketball player and live in a city with a private school but perhaps aren't good enough to be in the best two or three players on your Class A school there is a real draw to go to the private school and be one of the top players. It also gives choices on the way through. You take a look at the classes of both at the private and public schools then decide which class will be better - smart people can usually pick out the classes that will have a chance to compete by Junior High. Same principle of choice applies to style of play and coaching - you can pick the school you like best. You grow up in a class b school of 100 kids there isn't much choice to be had unless parents are willing to move (it is really tough to move for small town kids because family farms aren't mobile homes).
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Boys