Next Division 1 player

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Next Division 1 player

Postby Flip » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:27 am

Who will be the next Class B player to play Division 1 basketball? I'm guessing Dufault was the last one and he graduated in 2008. Right now I can think of 5 Class B girls playing D1 basketball and 1 signed for next year. Why is it so much harder for the boys to play at that level?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Re: Next Division 1 player

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:28 am

Flip wrote:Who will be the next Class B player to play Division 1 basketball? I'm guessing Dufault was the last one and he graduated in 2008. Right now I can think of 5 Class B girls playing D1 basketball and 1 signed for next year. Why is it so much harder for the boys to play at that level?

Justin McCloud (Bottineau) played for Illinois State for 2014-15 & 2015-16 seasons.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... in-mccloud
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby balla45 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:52 am

Undlin may have a chance if he gets to 6'7"ish. There is a 7th grade Hurlburt who is already 6'5" who is intriguing.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 am

balla45 wrote:Undlin may have a chance if he gets to 6'7"ish. There is a 7th grade Hurlburt who is already 6'5" who is intriguing.

where are these kids from?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:07 am

Undlin is from MLS. Sophomore. Personally I think sophomore with the 2nd most upside in ND behind Klabo. Not being biased as neither Undlin or Klabo play for me. Hurlburt is from Enderlin. 6'5" and fairly skilled. Probably should have said nothing as I must be biased as he does play for me.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND2PHX » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:20 am

The reason is that it's very hard to play at that level, much more than it is for girls. It is a much more competitive and level playing field on the girls side, because the level of involvement and commitment by families, culture and coaches limit the amount of girls playing in many states with larger cities that dominate the state. Most boys and girls in ND have a positive peer pressure and sports culture at home, that encourages them to pursue a competitive spirit. I've seen high schools that have 1,500 or more students have trouble putting together a team that could beat some Class B girls teams in ND. Even though there are more opportunities to get involved early, training, skill coaches, AAU tournaments and club teams nearby, they don't have near the sports culture that ND does. 80-90% of the kids could care less about the sports teams at their high schools in big cities.

It's harder for boys, since their is a premium for athleticism at the D1 level, and frankly the opportunities to play against top competition isn't available as easily, along with athletic training, skill coaches and the amount of time that D1 players actually put into becoming D1. Most of the Class B kids are playing multiple sports, maybe doing FFA, Choir, etc. There are many many good coaches in ND, but if you want your kids to play at the highest level it's not even close to easy.
ND2PHX
NDPreps Rookie

Postby 74Magic » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:51 am

I saw Hurlburt a couple nights ago. He's still growing into his body, obviously, but had an impressive showing, in very few minutes on the court. Stat line went like this, 3 blocked shots, 1 of 1 on a 3 and a couple rebounds. Likely going to be 6-9 or 10 I have been told. Mom played D1 college and dad is fairly tall.
74Magic
NDPreps Rookie

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:02 pm

there are few divisions in division 1

some interesting facts:

Why Are There NCAA Divisions?

NCAA Divisions exist to create parity and level the playing field. With divisions, schools should be competing against other schools of a similar size and with similar resources. However, in the climate of today's NCAA sports, there can be huge disparities between schools in the same division, especially in Division I.

For example, from 2006-2011, the athletics revenue for the University of Alabama was $124,498,616. During that same period, the athletics revenue for Alabama State University was $10,614,081. Both are Division I schools.

What Makes Division I Unique?

Compared to NCAA Division II and III schools, NCAA Division I schools have the biggest student bodies, the largest athletic budgets, and the most athletic scholarships.

All of the major sports conferences, including the Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, and ACC, are composed of Division I colleges.

While Ivy League colleges are Division I, they don't offer athletic scholarships.

Division I Fun Facts

UCLA has the most Division I NCAA championships with 112.
On average, only 6% of the student bodies at Division I schools participate in NCAA sports.
Stanford has won the Learfield Sports Directors' Cup awarded to the most successful Division I athletics program every year since 1994-1995.
The University of Oregon won the very first NCAA men's basketball championship in 1939.
Louisiana Tech won the very first NCAA women's basketball championship in 1982.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:43 am

I see on Twitter Dufault took a coaching job with the Lakers. That's pretty cool IYAM. Anyway, it made me think of this thread. How are these kids progressing 18-20 months later?

balla45 wrote:Undlin may have a chance if he gets to 6'7"ish. There is a 7th grade Hurlburt who is already 6'5" who is intriguing.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:40 am

Flip wrote:I see on Twitter Dufault took a coaching job with the Lakers. That's pretty cool IYAM. Anyway, it made me think of this thread. How are these kids progressing 18-20 months later?

Watched both play this past season and this summer. Not sure if they are D1 talents but both are dudes that can score and defend. Hurburt IMO has more upside.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:41 pm

packers21 wrote:
Flip wrote:I see on Twitter Dufault took a coaching job with the Lakers. That's pretty cool IYAM. Anyway, it made me think of this thread. How are these kids progressing 18-20 months later?

Watched both play this past season and this summer. Not sure if they are D1 talents but both are dudes that can score and defend. Hurburt IMO has more upside.

Undlin didn’t grow. Hurlburt is getting mid major looks. I imagine he has a few offers before his junior season starts. Keller from Kindred is another very interesting Class B prospect.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:54 am

Know he isn't class b, but the Skunberg kid from Jamestown is pretty darn good.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:36 am

balla45 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Undlin didn’t grow. Hurlburt is getting mid major looks. I imagine he has a few offers before his junior season starts. Keller from Kindred is another very interesting Class B prospect.

Not sold on Keller at that level.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:55 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Know he isn't class b, but the Skunberg kid from Jamestown is pretty darn good.

I imagine when it is all said and done, he has his pick from 5+ D1 schools.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:00 pm

packers21 wrote:
balla45 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

I agree..... He is 6'7 with really long arms and can shoot from deep and throw it down around the rim. The Hoopster rated him as the #1 Soph in the State..... ya.... the I'm not sold on him either but I guess I would let him play for me.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:27 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
packers21 wrote:
balla45 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

I agree..... He is 6'7 with really long arms and can shoot from deep and throw it down around the rim. The Hoopster rated him as the #1 Soph in the State..... ya.... the I'm not sold on him either but I guess I would let him play for me.

Hey happycat, did you read the name of the thread ? Next Class B D1 player, never anywhere did I say Keller wasn’t good or couldn’t play. Just wasn’t sold on him at the D1 level right now, Hurburt to me is the better prospect right now.
Last edited by packers21 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:43 pm

packers21 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:
packers21 wrote:
balla45 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Hey happycat, did you read the name of the thread ? Next Class B D1 player, never anywhere did I say Keller wasn’t good or couldn’t play. Just wasn’t sold on him at the D1 lever right now, Hurburt to me is the better prospect right now.

Hurlburt is kind of a “no brainer” prospect. I think he could be a multi offer guy by the end of summer 2020. Keller isn’t a “no brainer” right now, in my opinion, but could get there. I think he has a D2 floor.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby RockNRoll » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:03 pm

I'm sure there is more than just a few boys with a lot potential to play D1 basketball in our state!
RockNRoll
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:54 am

RockNRoll wrote:I'm sure there is more than just a few boys with a lot potential to play D1 basketball in our state!

Well this is the Class B thread
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RockNRoll » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:10 am

packers21 wrote:
RockNRoll wrote:I'm sure there is more than just a few boys with a lot potential to play D1 basketball in our state!

Yup that's what I'm referring too Class B!!
RockNRoll
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:12 am

RockNRoll wrote:
packers21 wrote:

I think in all of Class B.

Seniors - 0
Juniors - 0
Sophomores - 2 have a chance
Freshmen - of those I have seen, 3 have a chance

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Know he isn't class b, but the Skunberg kid from Jamestown is pretty darn good.

Committed to NDSU
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:30 pm

balla45 wrote:
RockNRoll wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Seniors - 0
Juniors - 0

Hurlburt must have really improved since last year if you guys are saying that about him. Interested to see how he developed.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:57 am

maddog1971 wrote:
balla45 wrote:
RockNRoll wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Seniors - 0
Juniors - 0

Hurlburt must have really improved since last year if you guys are saying that about him. Interested to see how he developed.

He is 6’9”. He can dribble. He can move. He can shoot. He has a high IQ. I would confidently state he will have the opportunity to get paid to play basketball.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:45 am

So how are these Freshman playing? I see Enderline has 3 losses on the year so things must not be working out so far as a team but how are the Freshman playing?
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys