Class B Trivia

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby B Historian » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:11 pm

Wilbur wrote:Any way you spin it, Wishek still has a high school, and has never been to the State Boys’ Tournament on its own or with a co-op. The South Border co-op has not gone to State in Boys’ Basketball.

I see what you are saying, which is why I included my caveat. There are several other instances of this as well, like Hatton-Northwood.
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby B Historian » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:46 pm

New trivia questions:

This man coached three different Class B teams to state tournament appearances in the 60's and 70's. Who is he?

1976 LaMoure is widely regarded as one of the top teams in Class B history. However, LaMoure was not the top-ranked team coming into the state tournament that year (the Loboes were ranked 2nd). Who was #1 team in the final poll?

Hatton's Jim Howson won almost 600 games in his coaching career but never appeared in a state tournament. His team played in three region championship games but lost to the same school each time. Who was that team?
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wilbur » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:00 pm

I would guess Jerry Meyer for the coach, even though I don't think that is correct.

My guess for the number one team in the final poll would be New Town. If I get a second guess it would be Napoleon, which was unbeaten going into the region.

Third question answer is Hillsboro. No doubt in my mind.
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:15 pm

B Historian wrote:New trivia questions:

This man coached three different Class B teams to state tournament appearances in the 60's and 70's. Who is he?

1976 LaMoure is widely regarded as one of the top teams in Class B history. However, LaMoure was not the top-ranked team coming into the state tournament that year (the Loboes were ranked 2nd). Who was #1 team in the final poll?

Hatton's Jim Howson won almost 600 games in his coaching career but never appeared in a state tournament. His team played in three region championship games but lost to the same school each time. Who was that team?

Q1: before my time so I'm not sure

Q2: This is before my time...but I do know Lakota & New Town were both undefeated that year...I'm going to say New Town was #1 and that's who they defeated in the Title...I feel this is a bit of a trick question.

Q3: Most likely Ed Beyer and Hillsboro.
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby scc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:34 pm

2. Lakota, although LaMoure had one more first place vote.
scc
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:22 pm

scc wrote:

This is correct. Lakota was 26-0 going into the state tournament that season. This was Lakota's second straight trip to state, but from two different regions. They won Region 4 in '75 and Region 2 in '76.
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby B Historian » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:33 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Q1: before my time so I'm not sure

Q2: This is before my time...but I do know Lakota & New Town were both undefeated that year...I'm going to say New Town was #1 and that's who they defeated in the Title...I feel this is a bit of a trick question.

Q3: Most likely Ed Beyer and Hillsboro.

The answer to Q1 is Bill Fruhwirth. He led Parshall to state in '65 and '66, Fessenden in '72 and Larimore in '75, '78 and '79. He also led Flaxton to the state C tournament in '63. He only coached for 20 years but had seven state appearances at four different schools which is quite impressive.

The answer to Q3 ties in with Q1. Fruhwirth's Larimore teams defeated Hatton in the Region 2 title game 46-45 in '75, 31-24 in '78 and 42-33 in '79.
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby B Historian » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:37 pm

New question:

Class B has had it's own all-state team since the 1976-77 season (before that there was one team for both A & B). Since '77 there has been one instance when a team had two players named first team all-state but did not win the state championship. Can you name the team, players and year?
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby scc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:46 pm

B Historian wrote:New question:

Class B has had it's own all-state team since the 1976-77 season (before that there was one team for both A & B). Since '77 there has been one instance when a team had two players named first team all-state but did not win the state championship. Can you name the team, players and year?

Trick question? It's happened twice.

Larimore, Rich Korsgarden and Dan Shide, 1978-79 season

Beulah, Jayden Olson and Brad Phillips, 1996-97 season
scc
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:08 am

scc wrote:
B Historian wrote:New question:

Trick question? It's happened twice.

Larimore, Rich Korsgarden and Dan Shide, 1978-79 season

Beulah, Jayden Olson and Brad Phillips, 1996-97 season

You are correct. I had in my mind that Korsgarden was second team in '79 but after double checking both he and Shide were on the first team.
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby CoachM » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:36 am

The founder of the Enchanted Highway (Gary Greff) was also a basketball coach at one time. What teams did he coach and did he ever make it to the state tournament?
CoachM
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:03 am

The Schwab wrote:Thompson, Solen, Tioga, White Shield, Velva, Maple Valley (Oriska, Tower City, Fingal), Burke County, Nedrose and South Prairie?

Buffalo is also a part of Maple Valley. Buffalo and Tower City consolidated in 75-76 school year. They were known as the Buffalo-Tower City Bombers for 1 year, then Maple Valley Raiders after that. Fingal joined in 79-80. Not exactly sure the year Oriska joined. All 4 schools had either been in consolidated tourney or class C tourney, but none in the B as far as I know.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:49 am

CoachM wrote:The founder of the Enchanted Highway (Gary Greff) was also a basketball coach at one time. What teams did he coach and did he ever make it to the state tournament?

This is an interesting question and one that I don't know the answer to. I would be interested in hearing it.
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:02 pm

CoachM wrote:The founder of the Enchanted Highway (Gary Greff) was also a basketball coach at one time. What teams did he coach and did he ever make it to the state tournament?

I have read a few pieces on G. G. and I recall that he mentioned coming home to Regent with his dream of Drawing people down the road off I-94 with his sculptures...... "Enchanted Highway"

he mentioned teaching at various places ND, SD, MT
and JV basketball coach for Dickinson St
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby CoachM » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:02 pm

If my memory serves me correctly. He coached with Mr. Beyer in Hillsboro and then went on to become the Head Coach in Lakota. I think they went to state during his tenure.
CoachM
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wilbur » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:36 pm

Congratulations to Hillsboro/Central Valley on their second straight State Boys Basketball title. Sixth overall for Hillsboro, and third overall for Central Valley. Second time the Burros won back-to-back (1973-74). Great tournament.
Hillsboro/Central Valley won its three State tournament games by a combined 10 points. Is that the lowest combined margin of victory for a State Champion in the tournament? I don’t know the answer, but I am sure someone else does.
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wilbur » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:31 am

I watched my first State Tournament in 1978, and can't recall any team winning its 3 games combined by 10 points or less since then, so if it has happened, it was before 1978. The lowest I can remember is Linton in 1985. They beat Ellendale by 5 (57-52), Karlsruhe by 5 (63-58) and Newburg by 2 (72-70 in ot) for a total of 12.
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter

Postby B Historian » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:46 pm

Wilbur wrote:Congratulations to Hillsboro/Central Valley on their second straight State Boys Basketball title. Sixth overall for Hillsboro, and third overall for Central Valley. Second time the Burros won back-to-back (1973-74). Great tournament.
Hillsboro/Central Valley won its three State tournament games by a combined 10 points. Is that the lowest combined margin of victory for a State Champion in the tournament? I don’t know the answer, but I am sure someone else does.

10 points in three games is the lowest, even when you go back to the 30's and 40's when the games were low scoring. In addition to Linton in 1985, Wyndmere in 1971 and Oak Grove in 1969 all won their three tournament games by a combined 12 points.
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby B Historian » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:37 pm

CoachM wrote:

If my memory serves me correctly. He coached with Mr. Beyer in Hillsboro and then went on to become the Head Coach in Lakota. I think they went to state during his tenure.

Duane Schwab was the head coach at Lakota in '75 and '76 when they went to state.

What all-state player transferred to Lakota prior to the '76 season?
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby B Historian » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:58 pm

B Historian wrote:
scc wrote:

This is correct. Lakota was 26-0 going into the state tournament that season. This was Lakota's second straight trip to state, but from two different regions. They won Region 4 in '75 and Region 2 in '76.

Another team was ranked first in the state prior to Lakota, but lost in the first round of the district tournament for its only loss of the season. Can you name the team?
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wilbur » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:27 pm

I would guess Napoleon, but their only loss was to Robinson in the first round of the Region 5 Tournament.
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:40 pm

How many state titles does Elliott Rotvold have?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:45 pm

Wilbur wrote:I would guess Napoleon, but their only loss was to Robinson in the first round of the Region 5 Tournament.

Great guess, but not correct.
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby B Historian » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:45 pm

Flip wrote:How many state titles does Elliott Rotvold have?

Three:

1996 Wakonda (SD)
2017 HCV
2018 HCV
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:19 pm

I'm sure it's a longer list, but can someone name the coaches with multiple basketball state titles?
any coach win a girls state title and a boys state title?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys