HCV vs Thompson #2

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby BasketballKid » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:53 am

I feel like this will be an awesome game, Don't know who will win, does anybody have any thoughts?
BasketballKid
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby scc » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:23 pm

I don't know who will win, but it will probably be another very close game. I feel it will be higher scoring than the first meeting.
scc
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2647
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:52 am
Location: East

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby Big Blue » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:04 pm

I feel Thompson will win in the long run (Region title game), but might give the edge to the Burros at home. As a whole, I think the Tommies have several more ways to put the ball in the hoop than H-CV. That's why I am confident they will be playing at state.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Thompson wins this one....HCV has been skimming along in the big ones
not saying Thompson is the better team, just saying this game will be a timing of the season thing....
with that said they (thom) then play PRFL and Grafton to finish out.....could be an interesting finish
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4630
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby Handcheck » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:40 am

HCV has won 4 straight in this serious 3 close games. They own thompson right now. Totally in their head with no fear of them. If they both make the region championship it will be a barn burner. HCV will win another close game
Handcheck
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:42 pm

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby packers21 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:24 am

Handcheck wrote:HCV has won 4 straight in this serious 3 close games. They own thompson right now. Totally in their head with no fear of them. If they both make the region championship it will be a barn burner. HCV will win another close game


Dont jinx urself bud
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby d_fense » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:27 pm

I have heard from multiple people that the ending of this one was pretty controversial. The "story" I heard was that HCV had the ball. Thompson was in a good place up only 1, but had 2 fouls to give. The story went as HCV drove into the lane Thompson committed a nice foul on the ball handler, but nothing was called and he continued on to put up the game winning shot.

Granted, there was no foul, since one wasn't called. But, officials can't swallow their whistles at the end of games. A team has to work hard playing defense to go almost a full half without putting a team in the bonus. When they do, they should be able to purposely foul a ball handler and count on that foul being called. I am not sure if they told the officials that was their intention or not. I think they should have. But the refs should have understood the situation as well.

Like I said, I was not their and haven't seen film yet. If they play again, it will likely come down the the end once again.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:13 am
Location: Small town eastern ND

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby Rivershark » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 pm

d_fense wrote:I have heard from multiple people that the ending of this one was pretty controversial. The "story" I heard was that HCV had the ball. Thompson was in a good place up only 1, but had 2 fouls to give. The story went as HCV drove into the lane Thompson committed a nice foul on the ball handler, but nothing was called and he continued on to put up the game winning shot.

Granted, there was no foul, since one wasn't called. But, officials can't swallow their whistles at the end of games. A team has to work hard playing defense to go almost a full half without putting a team in the bonus. When they do, they should be able to purposely foul a ball handler and count on that foul being called. I am not sure if they told the officials that was their intention or not. I think they should have. But the refs should have understood the situation as well.

Like I said, I was not their and haven't seen film yet. If they play again, it will likely come down the the end once again.


Sounds familiar. Let's just say HCV has won some pretty close games with help from the 3 extra players in stripes. Don't be surprised if their luck runs out come tournament time.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby Ndsportsman1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:50 pm

I was at the HCV-Thompson game this was my first time watching either team play. I believe the fouls favored Thompson 10-4 at the end of the game so don’t know if the stripes were necessarily favoring HCV. As far as the last play goes I think it could have gone either way, if the defender was going to foul him he should have made it more obvious.
Ndsportsman1
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:13 am

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby d_fense » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:01 am

Ndsportsman1 wrote:I was at the HCV-Thompson game this was my first time watching either team play. I believe the fouls favored Thompson 10-4 at the end of the game so don’t know if the stripes were necessarily favoring HCV. As far as the last play goes I think it could have gone either way, if the defender was going to foul him he should have made it more obvious.


Like I had mentioned, I wasn’t at the game. The people I talked to thought it was a very obvious foul. You need to remember that you cannot blatantly grab a player, as the correct call would be an intentional foul, with 2 free shots awarded, plus the ball.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:13 am
Location: Small town eastern ND

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby kboftw » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:01 am

kboftw
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:47 am

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:53 am

I don't see any fouls committed on the drive to the basket...maybe one on the last player to have Henningsgard pass him...but that would have been during the continuation on the layup.

I see a wrap around attempt first but nothing that slowed the play down, at least from the camera angle given...and I see a 2nd failed reach attempt that seemed like more air than arm and didn't slow HCV player down.

I see a tough layup made by Henningsgard and some porous defense by Thompson on that final play. Should be a fun 3rd matchup if they meet up again...hard to beat a good team 3 times!
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 13773
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby Flip » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:39 am

d_fense wrote:Like I had mentioned, I wasn’t at the game. The people I talked to thought it was a very obvious foul. You need to remember that you cannot blatantly grab a player, as the correct call would be an intentional foul, with 2 free shots awarded, plus the ball.

kboftw wrote:Here is video of the finish. https://www.facebook.com/HillsboroPubli ... 191658177/

And that's why I don't believe anyone until I see it.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3472
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby packers21 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:04 am

Thompson didn't get the memo from 4winds last year that getting beat horribly off the dribble and trying to poke the ball from behind against HCV is a bad idea.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:10 am

Its hard to get out favored over the Tommies... :wink:
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4630
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby Rivershark » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:46 am

Flip wrote:
d_fense wrote:Like I had mentioned, I wasn’t at the game. The people I talked to thought it was a very obvious foul. You need to remember that you cannot blatantly grab a player, as the correct call would be an intentional foul, with 2 free shots awarded, plus the ball.

kboftw wrote:Here is video of the finish. https://www.facebook.com/HillsboroPubli ... 191658177/

And that's why I don't believe anyone until I see it.


Henningsgard is a great player. I just don't like how he throws himself at the basket and gets away with it by drawing the foul. He ends up on the floor in this video for that same reason. He made the basket in this case. Three times he did this against PRFL and he was able to draw the foul even though he should have been called for charging.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby NodakQ2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:47 pm

d_fense wrote:I have heard from multiple people that the ending of this one was pretty controversial. The "story" I heard was that HCV had the ball. Thompson was in a good place up only 1, but had 2 fouls to give. The story went as HCV drove into the lane Thompson committed a nice foul on the ball handler, but nothing was called and he continued on to put up the game winning shot.

Granted, there was no foul, since one wasn't called. But, officials can't swallow their whistles at the end of games. A team has to work hard playing defense to go almost a full half without putting a team in the bonus. When they do, they should be able to purposely foul a ball handler and count on that foul being called. I am not sure if they told the officials that was their intention or not. I think they should have. But the refs should have understood the situation as well.

Like I said, I was not their and haven't seen film yet. If they play again, it will likely come down the the end once again.


I see no controversy and no foul.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby lamontcranston » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:22 pm

I'd be interested in seeing a reverse angle.
lamontcranston
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Controversial Calls?

when does the book come out?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4630
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:07 pm

IMO if you're going to foul in Thompson's situation it better be clear. Maybe a foul on the first help defender but IMO it wasn't enough. The only thing I may see that you could talk about is IMO it was a travel going to the basket, but it seems that across the state they're letting more and more travels go. Looks like a great crowd with a tournament atmosphere, looks to have been a pretty fun game to watch as well. I'm sure these two teams will see each other again.
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby airmail » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:24 pm

There were a lot of "light" calls all night on both sides, so I can see why the Tommies expected a call.
The ref could probably see, IMO, what the THS player was trying to do, so I would guess the THS player actually missed him. Regardless, as others said, if he did foul him, it was too light.

But FWIW, Thompson didn't lose the game on this play - they lost the game by letting Baesler post up over and over again without attempting to front him or deny. They were effective on Camrud, but had no answer for Baesler - he ate them up from the block.
airmail
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby kboftw » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:21 pm

lamontcranston wrote:I'd be interested in seeing a reverse angle.
Sure. Go to 1:48 in the video.
https://youtu.be/3z1lGvoXEO4
kboftw
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:47 am

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby sportsphenom » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:43 am

From both of these videos I see no "obvious" foul (IMHO), what I see is very bad defense by Thompson.
sportsphenom
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Re: HCV vs Thompson #2

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:56 am

The Schwab wrote:IMO if you're going to foul in Thompson's situation it better be clear. Maybe a foul on the first help defender but IMO it wasn't enough. The only thing I may see that you could talk about is IMO it was a travel going to the basket, but it seems that across the state they're letting more and more travels go. Looks like a great crowd with a tournament atmosphere, looks to have been a pretty fun game to watch as well. I'm sure these two teams will see each other again.


I was wrong on the travel, from that second shot I see his pivot foot didn't return to the ground before he released the ball, good move.
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State


Return to Boys

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests