Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby packers21 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:28 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:Who coaches at PRFL now? I've always felt Robinson was one of the better coaches in region 2. Success at the elementary/JH level does not necessarily equate to varsity success. Are kids being taught fundamentals? Does the program retain kids? Is the youth coach only coaching to win - playing the same 5-6 kids and not developing the others, essentially running them out of the program?

In watching a lot of region 2 bball the last several years, I've never once thought at PRFL or MM was out coached or failed to win the region due to lack of coaching.


I don't think many people have thought that. Seth Kuchar is the head in PRFL they get their best player back from injury this year (Skauvhaug). Omdahl did a very good job before him.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby The Schwab » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:02 pm

A longtime coach told me these two things a few years ago.

1. The difference between a good coach and a great coach is talent.
2. Basketball isn't about the X's and O's it's about the Billy's and the Joe's.
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3410
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby ballaholic#3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:19 pm

The Schwab wrote:A longtime coach told me these two things a few years ago.

1. The difference between a good coach and a great coach is talent.
2. Basketball isn't about the X's and O's it's about the Billy's and the Joe's.



There's definitely some truth there. I think a great coach raises his team's floor a bit (overachieve slightly with lesser talent) or help the great players/team reach their capacity. A bad coach may help a team underachieve a bit. Other than that, it's about the players. Take Mike Hultz from Surrey for example. He used to coach Minot State and experienced success. Now, he's successful if Surrey makes regions.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:51 pm

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby pterodactyl5 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:48 pm

I think Thompson is the favorite in region 2. Followed by HCV and Grafton. However, I think Park River will be the team to beat out one of those three for third in the region. They have the height, the speed, and the talent to do so. MM also has potential to knock out one of the top three projected teams.
pterodactyl5
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:34 pm

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby grywyn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:38 pm

packers21 wrote:
grywyn wrote:Amen to that, Ive coached these kids for the last eight years and I don't say this but there are not many teams that can go down there whole bench and not miss a beat. This can beat anybody they have proven it over the years at all leavels but when they get to varisity they don't get over the hump. It takes aleader to lead them. But anyway this is the best talent they have had in years.


Com'on man you can't really believe all this BS you just spit. Using Elementary and JH comparisons are completely illogical, so much can happen from those ages to Varsity. It's fine if you don't personally like the coach, but to come on a forum and to bash one of the more respected coaches in the Region/State is almost comical and you do it every single year. Plus you completely contradict yourself on the girls forum, losing all of you credibility anyways.


I really do believe this or I wouldn't have wrote it. If he is one of the most respected coaches, why doesn't he produce a winning team. I never once said I didn't like the coach, I don't like his style of coaching. So if you are going to quote me get it right. Girls , is a different story, Coach Zikmund and Ralston will make a difference.
grywyn
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:36 am

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby grywyn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:48 pm

I don't know the coach personally , only what I see on the court
grywyn
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:36 am

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby packers21 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:14 pm

grywyn wrote:
packers21 wrote:
grywyn wrote:Amen to that, Ive coached these kids for the last eight years and I don't say this but there are not many teams that can go down there whole bench and not miss a beat. This can beat anybody they have proven it over the years at all leavels but when they get to varisity they don't get over the hump. It takes aleader to lead them. But anyway this is the best talent they have had in years.


Com'on man you can't really believe all this BS you just spit. Using Elementary and JH comparisons are completely illogical, so much can happen from those ages to Varsity. It's fine if you don't personally like the coach, but to come on a forum and to bash one of the more respected coaches in the Region/State is almost comical and you do it every single year. Plus you completely contradict yourself on the girls forum, losing all of you credibility anyways.


I really do believe this or I wouldn't have wrote it. If he is one of the most respected coaches, why doesn't he produce a winning team. I never once said I didn't like the coach, I don't like his style of coaching. So if you are going to quote me get it right. Girls , is a different story, Coach Zikmund and Ralston will make a difference.


Well here goes, I find it incredibly hard to believe that you do not know Coach Robinson (having coached these boys for 8 years!) or have a personal problem with him TOTALLY BS. I have always had a problem with the way you talk about him and the MM program. So I did a little research since you wanted me to get my facts straight.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:23 pm
I totally disagree with you about the players/parents respecting Coach Robinson. If everyone liked him we would have guys out for the team. I know quite a few who wont play for him. This goes for the other sports he coaches.

This is your first negative post about him, almost 8 years ago!

February 11, 2011

OK So he has the title coach. But is he a real coachs. Good coachs would not tolerate player deciding he was the only one on the floor. Who shows no respect for the team and others, and Coach Robinson as you call him, allows him to play in the game. Maybe , causing us to loose that game, maybe not. But no good coach allows that to happen. He promises kids things and then takes them away. He choose to be a coach, a professional, that is not a professional.

One thing as stayed the same, you have always been hard to understand. :?

Yesterday and Today

You talk about MM boys having only talent and that’s the reason they will be in the mix, while implying on the girls forum that they will be much improved solely bc of a new coach. Who by the way played for Robinson and has been his asst the last few years! I wonder where he gets his basketball and coaching philosophy from!!

I could go on and on from the 50 posts that you have made on this forum. In almost everyone you either state how great Phillip Schanilec is, how much one of his teammates needs to learn how to play more unselfish, or how you BLAME ALL OF THIS ON THE COACH!

Maybe you should start supporting the program in a more positive light.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby CentralCity » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:22 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Region 1
1 Oak Grove
2 Richland
3 Maple Valley
4 Wyndmere-Lidgerwood
5 Kindred
6 Milnor-North Sargent
7 Northern Cass
8 Central Cass
9 Enderlin
10 Lisbon
11 Tri-State
12 Hankinson
13 Sargent Central

Region 2
1 Thompson
2 Grafton
3 Hillsboro-Central Valley
4 Hatton-Northwood
5 Midway-Minto
6 May-Port-CG
7 Park River-FL
8 Cavalier
9 Larimore
10 Griggs County Central
11 Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page
12 North Border
13 Drayton/Valley-Edinburg

Just my take...others feel free to post their own

I think the top 2 in each of your predictions for each region can be almost a coin flip. Oak Grove will be very talented. Christianson one of the top players and scorers in the state. Richland will be fairly young but very talented. In region 2 Thompson will be very athletic. Grafton will also be very talented.
CentralCity
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby winner-within » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:57 am

The Schwab wrote:A longtime coach told me these two things a few years ago.

1. The difference between a good coach and a great coach is talent.
2. Basketball isn't about the X's and O's it's about the Billy's and the Joe's.


there is relevance in this.......

like Pat Summit's father told her after bombing in the Big Tournament early in her career
"you don't bring donkey's to the Kentucky Derby".....

with that said in HS Ball you take what is there and go with it.....I will say one thing after playing ball all these years, I could always tell if a player I was playing with, that I did not know, had come from a good Program under a good coach, regardless of over all skill or talent, or if he was street ball or not coached well....also one could go on and say If you played some Ball with a player that had played some College Ball well then you could really sense the knowledge because he was usually directing traffic for the team.....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4560
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby 47Wildcat » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:08 am

I am going to throw Cavalier into the mix for a top four finish. But really, I think the top six to seven teams will jostle for the top position in February. My pick to win it??? Grafton.
47Wildcat
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:31 pm

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby grywyn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:42 am

packers21 wrote:
grywyn wrote:
packers21 wrote:
grywyn wrote:Amen to that, Ive coached these kids for the last eight years and I don't say this but there are not many teams that can go down there whole bench and not miss a beat. This can beat anybody they have proven it over the years at all leavels but when they get to varisity they don't get over the hump. It takes aleader to lead them. But anyway this is the best talent they have had in years.


Com'on man you can't really believe all this BS you just spit. Using Elementary and JH comparisons are completely illogical, so much can happen from those ages to Varsity. It's fine if you don't personally like the coach, but to come on a forum and to bash one of the more respected coaches in the Region/State is almost comical and you do it every single year. Plus you completely contradict yourself on the girls forum, losing all of you credibility anyways.


I really do believe this or I wouldn't have wrote it. If he is one of the most respected coaches, why doesn't he produce a winning team. I never once said I didn't like the coach, I don't like his style of coaching. So if you are going to quote me get it right. Girls , is a different story, Coach Zikmund and Ralston will make a difference.


Well here goes, I find it incredibly hard to believe that you do not know Coach Robinson (having coached these boys for 8 years!) or have a personal problem with him TOTALLY BS. I have always had a problem with the way you talk about him and the MM program. So I did a little research since you wanted me to get my facts straight.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:23 pm
I totally disagree with you about the players/parents respecting Coach Robinson. If everyone liked him we would have guys out for the team. I know quite a few who wont play for him. This goes for the other sports he coaches.

This is your first negative post about him, almost 8 years ago!

February 11, 2011

OK So he has the title coach. But is he a real coachs. Good coachs would not tolerate player deciding he was the only one on the floor. Who shows no respect for the team and others, and Coach Robinson as you call him, allows him to play in the game. Maybe , causing us to loose that game, maybe not. But no good coach allows that to happen. He promises kids things and then takes them away. He choose to be a coach, a professional, that is not a professional.

One thing as stayed the same, you have always been hard to understand. :?

Yesterday and Today

You talk about MM boys having only talent and that’s the reason they will be in the mix, while implying on the girls forum that they will be much improved solely bc of a new coach. Who by the way played for Robinson and has been his asst the last few years! I wonder where he gets his basketball and coaching philosophy from!!

I could go on and on from the 50 posts that you have made on this forum. In almost everyone you either state how great Phillip Schanilec is, how much one of his teammates needs to learn how to play more unselfish, or how you BLAME ALL OF THIS ON THE COACH!

Maybe you should start supporting the program in a more positive light.


Bullying or stalking me online because I disagree with you. That is disheartening . I work with disabled children . I am a positive light in their day. every day. You know nothing about me, I will always be a positive light for our youth today. So what you think you know about me, or don't know, doesn't matter, I am a strong advocate for kids. What I am not is an advocate for is adult, who seem to think kids like to be yelled at or degraded. Where I work , adults loose their job for things like that, I know I am the one firing them. When one of my people get red faced, to the boiling point, I take my kids out of there. They don't deserve that. That's what I am saying. Bullying on line is wrong. I ask you politely to knock it off, and quit trying to figure out who I am. You might not like what you find
grywyn
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:36 am

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:16 am

Ladies & Gents...Back on topic plz! Read the Forum rules section!!
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 13573
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby Flip » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:26 pm

The Schwab wrote:A longtime coach told me these two things a few years ago.

1. The difference between a good coach and a great coach is talent.
2. Basketball isn't about the X's and O's it's about the Billy's and the Joe's.

I feel like this is what great coaches say to sound modest.

grywyn wrote:Bullying or stalking me online...

you have to be kidding.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3428
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby winner-within » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:02 pm

A few match ups from R1 & R2 tonight....who wins?

#6 Thompson @ Central Cass
RV Hatton-Northwood @ #8 Grafton
#10 Hillsboro-Central Valley @ Drayton/Valley-Edinburg
Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page @ Northern Cass
Griggs County Central @ Cavalier
Larimore @ Midway-Minto
May-Port-CG @ Park River-FL
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4560
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby packers21 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:24 pm

winner-within wrote:A few match ups from R1 & R2 tonight....who wins?

#6 Thompson @ Central Cass
RV Hatton-Northwood @ #8 Grafton
#10 Hillsboro-Central Valley @ Drayton/Valley-Edinburg
Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page @ Northern Cass
Griggs County Central @ Cavalier
Larimore @ Midway-Minto
May-Port-CG @ Park River-FL


Thompson big
Grafton by 15
Hillsboro by 40 plus
NC by 30
Cavalier by 25
MM
PRFL in what should be the best one
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby d_fense » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:20 pm

winner-within wrote:A few match ups from R1 & R2 tonight....who wins?

#6 Thompson @ Central Cass
RV Hatton-Northwood @ #8 Grafton
#10 Hillsboro-Central Valley @ Drayton/Valley-Edinburg
Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page @ Northern Cass
Griggs County Central @ Cavalier
Larimore @ Midway-Minto
May-Port-CG @ Park River-FL


Thompson big.
Grafton by 10-15
Hillsboro big.
NC big.
Cavalier big.
M/M 15-20
MPCG in a close game.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 795
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:13 am
Location: Small town eastern ND

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby packers21 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:01 am

d_fense wrote:
winner-within wrote:A few match ups from R1 & R2 tonight....who wins?

#6 Thompson @ Central Cass
RV Hatton-Northwood @ #8 Grafton
#10 Hillsboro-Central Valley @ Drayton/Valley-Edinburg
Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page @ Northern Cass
Griggs County Central @ Cavalier
Larimore @ Midway-Minto
May-Port-CG @ Park River-FL


Thompson big.
Grafton by 10-15
Hillsboro big.
NC big.
Cavalier big.
M/M 15-20
MPCG in a close game.



Good Call, I figured PRFL would get em at home!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby winner-within » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:01 pm

packers21 wrote:
d_fense wrote:
winner-within wrote:A few match ups from R1 & R2 tonight....who wins?

#6 Thompson @ Central Cass
RV Hatton-Northwood @ #8 Grafton
#10 Hillsboro-Central Valley @ Drayton/Valley-Edinburg
Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page @ Northern Cass
Griggs County Central @ Cavalier
Larimore @ Midway-Minto
May-Port-CG @ Park River-FL


Thompson big.
Grafton by 10-15
Hillsboro big.
NC big.
Cavalier big.
M/M 15-20
MPCG in a close game.



Good Call, I figured PRFL would get em at home!


You both know your Region's quite well :wink:
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4560
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby B-oldtimer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Coaching at class b level I believe is one of the most difficult coaching jobs in basketball. I am willing to bet if could get coaches that have coached over the years to openly discuss this topic. Its true that talent makes you look better as a coach but you still need good skills to succeed at this level. This is especially true if your at one of the smaller class b schools over the years most coaches that are good at that level usually move on to larger schools. To be successful at small class b school from what I have seen over the years is you have to very adaptive coach. Meaning each year you have adapt how you play by the talent you have on the floor. Not that other coaches don't do that at other levels but at small class b school you may want to play a certain style of basketball but because of the level of talent you have you end up playing what ever style your talent permits. This where I think a lot of coaches that struggle because they have been taught and learned to play certain style of basketball but they get to small school and they don't have the talent to play that style of basketball. Also it takes good people skills because in small schools I think you have more interaction with parents wanting more for their kids. The larger schools provides you more talent to choose from and parents have less influence in the school system on average. One the best coaches I saw in my years and stayed at small school was Jack Demaine of Munich. Munich had rich tradition of being basketball powerhouse over the years. They had a lot of talent which helped but I also saw over the years how he adjusted his style of play to meet the talent he had. This also made it seem they had more talent year in year out but it was because of his coaching ability to adapt. There were more things that he did too that helped them to develop talent. Coaching at class b level is dictated by kids you have not like you get to higher levels or larger schools where you choose the talent that you have to play style of basketball you want to play. Then it is get these kids to buy into that style and play together. The class b level of basketball especially in smaller schools is you have so many kids out then you see what kind of talent you have then you try to develop that talent as much as possible but also you need adapt a plan where you can win with these kids. Like I say it most difficult of coaching your teaching and adapting to the talent you have and if you don't do that your going to really struggle to become successful as a coach. If you don't you may only have few years where your talent matches what you want to do as a coach. Over the years this something I wish more coaches were taught this at the college level how the size of school here determine your plan of coaching. I have seen so many coaches that failed to understand this and didn't understand that coaching at small school was much more demanding position than they thought. Enough said on this but I wish people would understand how difficult a job it is and I sure wish some of the old coaches that were successful could teach the kids coming out of college what it takes to coach at small class b school.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby leroybla » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:03 pm

^^ well put.
leroybla
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Region 1 and 2 Predictions

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:09 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:Coaching at class b level I believe is one of the most difficult coaching jobs in basketball. I am willing to bet if could get coaches that have coached over the years to openly discuss this topic. Its true that talent makes you look better as a coach but you still need good skills to succeed at this level. This is especially true if your at one of the smaller class b schools over the years most coaches that are good at that level usually move on to larger schools. To be successful at small class b school from what I have seen over the years is you have to very adaptive coach. Meaning each year you have adapt how you play by the talent you have on the floor. Not that other coaches don't do that at other levels but at small class b school you may want to play a certain style of basketball but because of the level of talent you have you end up playing what ever style your talent permits. This where I think a lot of coaches that struggle because they have been taught and learned to play certain style of basketball but they get to small school and they don't have the talent to play that style of basketball. Also it takes good people skills because in small schools I think you have more interaction with parents wanting more for their kids. The larger schools provides you more talent to choose from and parents have less influence in the school system on average. One the best coaches I saw in my years and stayed at small school was Jack Demaine of Munich. Munich had rich tradition of being basketball powerhouse over the years. They had a lot of talent which helped but I also saw over the years how he adjusted his style of play to meet the talent he had. This also made it seem they had more talent year in year out but it was because of his coaching ability to adapt. There were more things that he did too that helped them to develop talent. Coaching at class b level is dictated by kids you have not like you get to higher levels or larger schools where you choose the talent that you have to play style of basketball you want to play. Then it is get these kids to buy into that style and play together. The class b level of basketball especially in smaller schools is you have so many kids out then you see what kind of talent you have then you try to develop that talent as much as possible but also you need adapt a plan where you can win with these kids. Like I say it most difficult of coaching your teaching and adapting to the talent you have and if you don't do that your going to really struggle to become successful as a coach. If you don't you may only have few years where your talent matches what you want to do as a coach. Over the years this something I wish more coaches were taught this at the college level how the size of school here determine your plan of coaching. I have seen so many coaches that failed to understand this and didn't understand that coaching at small school was much more demanding position than they thought. Enough said on this but I wish people would understand how difficult a job it is and I sure wish some of the old coaches that were successful could teach the kids coming out of college what it takes to coach at small class b school.


Excellent post, small schools don't always have a good post player or a group of kids who can apply solid ball pressure, etc.... Good coaches at smaller schools have to learn to coach/play a number of different styles if they want to stay there for more than a year or two.
Sportsrube
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:03 pm

Previous

Return to Boys

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests