Which teams are the real deal this year?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Which teams are the real deal this year?

Postby Sticks11 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:29 pm

hsfootballfan wrote:
brucenies@yahoo.com wrote:Berthold will FINALLY play somebody this week and then we will see. Im quite sure they will be no match for rugby. Beating up on weaklings certainly doesnt gauge how good they are. Ooo but their undefeated!!!

Yeah. Why so bitter. Your favorite squad must have been one of the "weaklings" you are talking about. They have been taking care of the teams they should beat. Cant blame them for that. If by chance they beat Rugby on Saturday, I spose you will say Rugby had an off nite and a bunch of other excuses. I haven't seen the two teams play yet, but I would expect a decent game. Im looking forward to watching it. This could very well be a preview of the region title game. Depends on Our Redeemers of course. They have a talented squad as well.

Well said.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby grunt4188 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:41 pm

The brucenies statement that the polls do matter is somewhat correct. runforfun is also correct. The coach's of the region championship games do seat the first four teams of the tournament. However I highly doubt that the winning coach of region 2 has seen to many teams from region 7 play. Opposite ends of the state. Not all the coaches voting will have seen the other seven teams in the tournament play before. Therefor I think the coaches are influenced by the latest polls. I also agree that the sportswriters voting on the polls do not do enough research. For instance. Take Linton and their loss to Hettinger/Scranton. I was surprised when I saw the final score. Not taking any thing away from Hettinger, they have a good team, but I found out later that Linton was missing two starters and two reserves for that game. Also Linton's second loss to the Langford Area SD team wasn't to an average SD team. I believe at the time they played, Langford was the second ranked class B team in SD. Odds are there wasn't a voting sports writer that knew the circumstances behind the losses for Linton. I am sure there are other teams out there with similar circumstances that may have suffered a loss due to a sick kid or something. They need to do there research before voting. Tonight will tell the tail for Linton for they are playing a tough Strasburg team. It should be a good one. Any thoughts?
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:57 pm

Both Linton HMB and Strasburg Zeeland are for real. This is going to be a great game. I'll take LHMB by 5.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby grunt4188 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:32 pm

I would tend to agree with you Linton by 5 however game is in Strasburg so home court goes to the Clippers. Linton HMB wins in OT. Is the game going to be on any radio stations?
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby grunt4188 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:19 pm

hsfootballfan wrote:
brucenies@yahoo.com wrote:Berthold will FINALLY play somebody this week and then we will see. Im quite sure they will be no match for rugby. Beating up on weaklings certainly doesnt gauge how good they are. Ooo but their undefeated!!!

Yeah. Why so bitter. Your favorite squad must have been one of the "weaklings" you are talking about. They have been taking care of the teams they should beat. Cant blame them for that. If by chance they beat Rugby on Saturday, I spose you will say Rugby had an off nite and a bunch of other excuses. I haven't seen the two teams play yet, but I would expect a decent game. Im looking forward to watching it. This could very well be a preview of the region title game. Depends on Our Redeemers of course. They have a talented squad as well.

I agree Rugby will win by 10 or more. The same thing is happening in Strasburg tonight. Strasburg is 11 and 1 and haven't played anybody. Receiving votes but down by 15 at half time to Linton. Thought it would be a better game. I think the same thing will happen in Minot tomorrow night.
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HammerTime » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:41 am

As a Region 6 follower, Ive seen both teams play. While Berthold has played mostly cupcakes, they've devoured them. Probably their biggest test that they've handled so far was Dickinson Trinity at the Minot State Shootout. It was a good game. But Rugby, after that same day, has upped their game and handled opponents aggressively and forcefully. They've played an incredibly tough schedule and will continue to do so until tournament time. I realize it's not a guarantee for either of these teams to make it to the Region Championship, but if we do see a rematch between these two, it'll be a bigger game than last year's championship. I honestly thought that after graduation decimated DL-B's chances, this would be a cupcake region, even with Berthold. I mean, who would have thought Berthold would be the undefeated team?
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby brucenies@yahoo.com » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:46 am

Ok strausburg went down last night and tonight is berthold vs rugby! Should be more clear after tonight who is tops in this region. Sorry berthold!
brucenies@yahoo.com
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:16 pm

With all the negativity directed at Berthold...I kinda wish they win tonight...or in Regions. Rugby will have competition this year in Berthold & ORCS.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby packers21 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:35 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:With all the negativity directed at Berthold...I kinda wish they win tonight...or in Regions. Rugby will have competition this year in Berthold & ORCS.

I hear ya Run, especially when these guys havent seen Berthold play, will be tough for Berthold tonight in Rugby, but they can really get up and down and Jimmer, I mean Austin Lee, is one of the best players I have seen this year, will be fun to watch him and Heidlabaugh go at it.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EHS1998 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:20 pm

Polls are fun for fans of teams fortunate enough to be included and they can generate interest, which is awesome. But it is important for teams to keep things in perspective and understand that the only true indicator that counts is the one that will be unveiled in March at the end of the state B. The key for each team is to get better each game and peak at the right time, playing their best ball at the end of the year. Being unbeaten or having a great record is awesome, but I doubt it is on many team's goals lists at the beginning of the year.

As has been said, there are many quality teams across the state, I can think of 6+ teams in Region 3 alone that could get hot and have the potential to put together 6 wins. Many teams are capable of being for real, but who is going to play their best when it really counts?

I also don't understand the venom some people seem to be throwing toward teams like Berthold, why the hate? They either are for real or they aren't, we will know in the next month and a half. If they are or aren't, not sure why it causes such angst. I think the Rugby game is intriguing but one game in the regular season isn't the end all be all.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby grunt4188 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:24 pm

packers21 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:With all the negativity directed at Berthold...I kinda wish they win tonight...or in Regions. Rugby will have competition this year in Berthold & ORCS.

I hear ya Run, especially when these guys havent seen Berthold play, will be tough for Berthold tonight in Rugby, but they can really get up and down and Jimmer, I mean Austin Lee, is one of the best players I have seen this year, will be fun to watch him and Heidlabaugh go at it.

Not going to happen tonight. Final in

Rugby 67
Berthold 58
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hsfootballfan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:53 pm

grunt4188 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Not going to happen tonight. Final in

Rugby 67
Berthold 58

Good game to watch. Berthold tired out in the end. Score is a little deceiving. Was a three point game with a little over minute left. Berthold has a very good chance to beat Rugby if they are to play again. For the most part, Lee had a hand in his face all night. Kudos to Rugby. They played very good defense tonight. Looking forward to the next game if they meet.
hsfootballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby NotTheCoach » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:30 pm

I believe that after Berthold beat Ryan on Friday and played Rugby down to the wire, they now qualify as a team that is the "real deal" this year. They are a great example of a team that plays as a team and has success. Austin Lee has also earned the label of "real deal" after the past two games. Both Ryan and Rugby are good defensive teams and both had only one objective in their games - to stop Lee. Lee got 30 or more against both teams. It seems it is easier to talk about stopping Lee than it is to achieve. We will get to see how much success Our Redeemer's has at stopping Lee this Tuesday. That should be every bit as exciting a game as the Rugby - Berthold game.
NotTheCoach
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WhiteMamba » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:45 pm

I would think they are a contender. I personally feel west central teams are better than the east teams this year. Maybe I'm wrong too. Did I say Maybe ahhh im not wrong I'm never wrong....
WhiteMamba
NDPreps Rookie

Postby HammerTime » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:30 pm

Isn't there a rule that says you can't ref while your kid is eligible to play?
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:50 pm

HammerTime wrote:Isn't there a rule that says you can't ref while your kid is eligible to play?

No.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby brucenies@yahoo.com » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:12 am

Ok rugby beats berthold! What is it u cant figure out! Berthold hadnt played anyone up to this game!
brucenies@yahoo.com
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Steve Perry » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:28 am

What is it that you can't figure out? Both teams are contenders and Berthold is a team to watch. Berthold was forced to foul in the last minutes of the game. Let's just say Region 6 is definitely up for grabs. Wouldn't have predicted that at the beginning of the year with Berthold pre-ranked #3 in District 12.
Steve Perry
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Howie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:27 am

grunt4188 wrote:The brucenies statement that the polls do matter is somewhat correct. runforfun is also correct. The coach's of the region championship games do seat the first four teams of the tournament. However I highly doubt that the winning coach of region 2 has seen to many teams from region 7 play. Opposite ends of the state. Not all the coaches voting will have seen the other seven teams in the tournament play before. Therefor I think the coaches are influenced by the latest polls. I also agree that the sportswriters voting on the polls do not do enough research. For instance. Take Linton and their loss to Hettinger/Scranton. I was surprised when I saw the final score. Not taking any thing away from Hettinger, they have a good team, but I found out later that Linton was missing two starters and two reserves for that game. Also Linton's second loss to the Langford Area SD team wasn't to an average SD team. I believe at the time they played, Langford was the second ranked class B team in SD. Odds are there wasn't a voting sports writer that knew the circumstances behind the losses for Linton. I am sure there are other teams out there with similar circumstances that may have suffered a loss due to a sick kid or something. They need to do there research before voting. Tonight will tell the tail for Linton for they are playing a tough Strasburg team. It should be a good one. Any thoughts?

Ok, just so the record is set straight. Hettinger/Scranton is missing a starter for the whole season due to injury. Sounds like people are making a whole bunch of excuses as to why Linton lost to Hettinger/Scranton. I won't name the kids by name, because I don't think it needs to be done. Linton HMB had 3 starters in the game that all started in the state tournament last year. Another one of their starters against Hettinger Scranton has started for the rest of year so far, that brings the total to 4 starters. Their 5th starter and 6th man were out due to training violations. They could have been missing a couple other reserves, but I haven't seen their names in box scores this season so I can't tell you for sure. The fact of the matter is that both Linton HMB and Hettinger Scranton are top 15 teams in the state of North Dakota for sure. The Lions lost to HS and as you said a very very good Langford Area team, who has been to 3 straight state tournaments. Hettinger Scrantons losses have been on the road to 3 teams that have been ranked in the top 10 at some point this season.
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby grunt4188 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:29 pm

Howie wrote:
grunt4188 wrote:The brucenies statement that the polls do matter is somewhat correct. runforfun is also correct. The coach's of the region championship games do seat the first four teams of the tournament. However I highly doubt that the winning coach of region 2 has seen to many teams from region 7 play. Opposite ends of the state. Not all the coaches voting will have seen the other seven teams in the tournament play before. Therefor I think the coaches are influenced by the latest polls. I also agree that the sportswriters voting on the polls do not do enough research. For instance. Take Linton and their loss to Hettinger/Scranton. I was surprised when I saw the final score. Not taking any thing away from Hettinger, they have a good team, but I found out later that Linton was missing two starters and two reserves for that game. Also Linton's second loss to the Langford Area SD team wasn't to an average SD team. I believe at the time they played, Langford was the second ranked class B team in SD. Odds are there wasn't a voting sports writer that knew the circumstances behind the losses for Linton. I am sure there are other teams out there with similar circumstances that may have suffered a loss due to a sick kid or something. They need to do there research before voting. Tonight will tell the tail for Linton for they are playing a tough Strasburg team. It should be a good one. Any thoughts?

Ok, just so the record is set straight. Hettinger/Scranton is missing a starter for the whole season due to injury. Sounds like people are making a whole bunch of excuses as to why Linton lost to Hettinger/Scranton. I won't name the kids by name, because I don't think it needs to be done. Linton HMB had 3 starters in the game that all started in the state tournament last year. Another one of their starters against Hettinger Scranton has started for the rest of year so far, that brings the total to 4 starters. Their 5th starter and 6th man were out due to training violations. They could have been missing a couple other reserves, but I haven't seen their names in box scores this season so I can't tell you for sure. The fact of the matter is that both Linton HMB and Hettinger Scranton are top 15 teams in the state of North Dakota for sure. The Lions lost to HS and as you said a very very good Langford Area team, who has been to 3 straight state tournaments. Hettinger Scrantons losses have been on the road to 3 teams that have been ranked in the top 10 at some point this season.

You just made my point. You say Hettinger is one of the top 15 teams in the state. How do you figure? Right now they have three losses to quality teams in there region. Plus they haven't played Heart River yet. In my books to be rated in the state polls you should be first or even second in your region. You mentioned 3 teams that have been ranked. Correct me if I am wrong but I think there is just one ranked now. What happened? Did the sports writers wake up and realize there are other teams out there that have played good competition that they haven't recognized. At the beginning of the year the sports writers had four or five teams from region 7 in the poll. WHY? Hazen Cum on!!! They need to do there job and research what is going on. That's my point not making up excuses to why Linton lost. But now that you mention it, it may of been the 5th and 6th kids plus a couple reserves but once they had them all playing they did beat Trinity on a neutral court by I believe 14 or so. What happened to Hettinger with Trinity?
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Howie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:47 pm

So first of all you are saying that the top 16 teams in the state are made up of 2 teams from each region? If you are, that might be the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a month. The first poll of the year had 2 teams from Region 7 in the top 10. Let me get this straight, you think beating Trinity on a neutral court means they are better then a team that beat them on their home court by 17. That makes zero sense. Trinity was missing one of their starters against Linton HMB when they played in Bismarck FYI. I would also love to see your top 15 teams in the state, 1-15 please.
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby grunt4188 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:20 pm

Howie wrote:So first of all you are saying that the top 16 teams in the state are made up of 2 teams from each region? If you are, that might be the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a month. The first poll of the year had 2 teams from Region 7 in the top 10. Let me get this straight, you think beating Trinity on a neutral court means they are better then a team that beat them on their home court by 17. That makes zero sense. Trinity was missing one of their starters against Linton HMB when they played in Bismarck FYI. I would also love to see your top 15 teams in the state, 1-15 please.

No that's not what I am saying. In the second poll there were 5 teams from region seven in it. Just cause there's parody in the region doesn't mean they all are worthy of being in the poll. Hettinger is NOT one of the top 15 teams in the state. They have lost to three teams in there region and probably will lose to Heart River. They are currently 5th in the region standings, so your telling me that 5 teams from Region 7 are in the top 15 teams of the state. Linton since getting there kids back have lost one. To a SD team. But they haven't been plastered all over the polls like the teams out west. They lost by 17 on there home court missing four kids. You can line them up any way you want. Four is Four. On a small school team that is a lot even if its just one starter and three reserves. Region 7 is like Region 2 No one standout team at this point. So what put them all in the poll? So what your poll has all of Region 7 teams? By the way who was Trinity missing up in Bismarck. Ya Right!!! Every time one of your teams losses your missing somebody.
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:21 pm

Lucas Jones did not play against Linton in Bismarck.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Howie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:25 pm

So that makes a starter and a top reserve that didn't play. I am not saying that Linton isn't a good team, if you read my first post on this topic you would see that I think they are very good. I am still waiting for you to name your top 15.
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby grunt4188 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Howie wrote:So that makes a starter and a top reserve that didn't play. I am not saying that Linton isn't a good team, if you read my first post on this topic you would see that I think they are very good. I am still waiting for you to name your top 15.

Here you go!

1.Heart River 7-0 (12-2)
2.New England 6-0 (12-2)
3.Beulah 4-2 (8-3)
4.Killdeer 4-2 (9-4)
5.Hettinger-Scranton 3-3 (11-3)
6. Hazen 3-3 (9-3)
7.Richardton-Taylor 3-3 (8-6)
8.Dickinson Trinity 2-2 (5-7)
RV Mott-Regent 2-3 (4-8)
RV Glen Ullin-Hebron 1-4 (3-10)
RV Bowman County 1-4 (1-13)
RV Beach 0-5 (2-11)
RV Mandaree 0-6 (4-9)

Sorry couldn't resist. Probably as close as the sports writers will be tonight. The boys out west would like this poll.
grunt4188
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Boys