video tapes of past class b boys tourney

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

video tapes of past class b boys tourney

Postby joeteresa » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:05 am

Does anyone know how to get a copy of a state class b tournament from 1993.
joeteresa
NDPreps Rookie

Re: video tapes of past class b boys tourney

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:38 am

I would love to see some of those old tourneys again, too.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby lbrockel » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:29 am

Hello,

I currently don't have or know of anyone who may have a recording specifically of the 1993 Class B Boys Basketball Tournament, but what I can do is provide you helpful pointers of how you probably can track it down based on my own experiences. After having seen the "History of the North Dakota State Class B" broadcast back in 2000 or so, which was produced by Prairie Public Broadcasting (which I have on VHS and can probably also be purchased through them), I decided to go on my own personal mission to see if I could recover any recordings of the 1979 State Class B Boys Tourney of which I had the honor of playing in as a member of the Berthold Bombers when we finished 3rd. Now you can imagine how difficult of a task this could be with the limited availability of VCRs back then, not to mention even older pre-VHS or pre-Beta tape format recording devices were often used. I'm talking "Old School", baby. To make a long story short, through perseverence and resourcefulness, I was able to track down Sanyo V-cord tape recordings (pre-VHS/Beta format) of all 4 opening day games, both semi-finals and championship night games of which I than had to track down someone via the Internet who had one of these V-cord devices that could record them to VHS format. I finally hit paydirt and had all the games in VHS format of which I then proceeded to make copies for most of my teammates and even for contacts of each of the 8 teams represented in the 79 State Tourney so they could spread them around to their teammates, etc. Even though the 93 Tourney is almost 20 years old now, you still have a much better chance of locating a VHS or even a DVD copy of this tournament if you really want to since it is much more recent than my search was. Following are my recommendations for how I obtained the 79 State Tourney that should be able to help you and anyone else find others. I wish you the best of luck in your quest. P.S. - if you find it, pass copies on to other schools/players from that tourney so they can have those memories too.
1. Contact the TV Broadcasting stations in your area who may have televised those games to see if they still have archive copies for you to obtain.
2. Contact office of the 8 schools represented in that state Tourney to see if they may have a copy. Specifically, ask to speak to the current basketball coach or athletic director. The 93 title game involved Central Valley defeating Des Lacs-Burlington, I believe. Not sure about the other 6 teams represented.
3. If the first two options fail, then it may take a little more detective work. You need to locate an official program from the 93 State Tournament that lists the team's coaches/players names. Using the internet "White Pages" tool, try to see if you can locate the coach and/or any players from those teams to possibly get phone number to start making contacts and asking them if they know anyone from their town who may have a recording of that tournament. Hopefully, out of the 8 possible schools represented someone in one of those towns has a recording. See if they would be willing to make you a copy to send to you where you can then make copies for others. Its pretty much about networking with others at this point. "Facebook" or "Twitter" may be other great sources to make contacts and start the conversation for your search circulating. I believe you should be able to track something down. If you do, please let me know. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Lance Brockel
lbrockel
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Indy5 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:46 pm

In response to the above poster, the teams at state that year were Central Valley, Des Lacs-Burlington, Bottineau, Leeds-Wolford, Sargent Central, Gackle-Streeter, Garrison, Standing Rock
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:33 am

Indy5 wrote:In response to the above poster, the teams at state that year were Central Valley, Des Lacs-Burlington, Bottineau, Leeds-Wolford, Sargent Central, Gackle-Streeter, Garrison, Standing Rock

Call Coach Doug Wagner at DLB - he is still the coach then and now. He might have those recordings.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Return to Basketball - Class B