Leeds Dropping Minnewaukan

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Leeds Dropping Minnewaukan

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:39 pm

I heard something rather disturbing, Leeds HS wants to drop Minnewaukan HS, because there are too many Indians on the court. This was the supposed discussion at a Leeds town meeting.

If this is true, this just goes to show you how racism is still alive today. I invite anyone from Leeds to elaborate.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Leeds Dropping Minnewaukan

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:10 pm

IA, you know I'm from Leeds. Didn't go to the meeting that was held after a basketball game, tho. From what I've heard and been told, the school board made this decision on their own without backing from the administration, coaches, and students. It has caused quite an uproar in our town and a lot of people are not happy with it. The reasoning that I have heard is that while there are plenty of numbers in JH, HS numbers aren't as good because the students from Mwkn don't continue playing or transfer out in HS. That's all I know.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:14 pm

It would be a shame if that was even any part of the reason! I would be ashamed to call myself a North Dakotian!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan7 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:30 pm

I read an article in the Minot paper today, and according to that they were going to co-op with maddock. And was supposed to be close to being a done deal. But all of a sudden Leeds backed out and decided to co-op with maddock by themselves. It also said that the girls team decided to sign a petition on the subject but the school board didnt seem to care. The question is where does Minnewaukan co-op with for sports? The article said that Devils lake had some interest, Four winds is another option.

http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/cont ... 36336.html
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:14 pm

bballfan7 wrote:I read an article in the Minot paper today, and according to that they were going to co-op with maddock. And was supposed to be close to being a done deal. But all of a sudden Leeds backed out and decided to co-op with maddock by themselves. It also said that the girls team decided to sign a petition on the subject but the school board didnt seem to care. The question is where does Minnewaukan co-op with for sports? The article said that Devils lake had some interest, Four winds is another option.

http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/cont ... 36336.html

There are some definate Shinanigans going on in the town of Leeds! Shame on you Leeds Parents and Administration! It fuels my point of racism, Minnewaukan is comprised of a majority of Native American Students! So what if your non-Native American child is not seeing enough court time, get better or accept the fact that your child is not good enough!

What happened to making the team? Now we are making teams for kids so they can all play! If you are not good enough, practice and train to make yourself better! A little off the subject but, if your kid is not playing because he or she is not better than the person on the court, don't wine about it or even petition to have that school with the better athletes removed from you co-op, send your kids to camps or clinics to get better!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:17 pm

You're way off base with all of this IA. Talk to some people in Leeds and Minnewaukan and you'll have a new view on this.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:53 pm

Care to elaborate? I have spoken to parents from Minnewaukan, I guess they have their feelings on the situation, I would like to hear Leed's side!

Playing in the Four Winds System, I have seen my far share of racism, and I can say first hand that Leeds happens to be one of the most racist towns I have played in. So please elaborate! Show me where I am wrong! H-E double hockey sticks, Carlson was even floored by this decision by Leeds! That is pretty sketchy in my book!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:03 am

It sounds like the place you want to start asking questions is with the school board of directors. I understand your strong emotions about this subject, but a blanket charge of racism isn't fair to those people in Leeds who don't have any association with this decision.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:44 am

Saying Leeds is one of the most racist towns is completely unfair. Yes, I'm sure we have a couple bad apples just like any town, but 95% of the people are very respectful. I'm not going to go into detail about everything that has happened or point fingers at anyone, but I'll give you a little overview. Leeds and Minnewaukan have always had a very good relationship with the kids, coaches, teachers, and administration. This hasn't changed since Minnewaukan has become a predominantly Native American school. Have you been to a home game at Leeds or Mwkn recently? Look at the student section and you'll see kids from both schools get along great and on the floor you'll see they are all good teammates. Race doesn't matter one bit to the students and players. The school board at Leeds had a couple meetings with parents of kids involved in sports and polled them about the discussions of including Maddock in the co-op as they are getting very low in numbers and have no one to co-op with. Somewhere in all of this came the idea of only going with Maddock and dropping Minnewaukan. The board acted on this without having public input meetings from everyone in the school district and against the wishes of the administration, coaches, and players. Our Supt has resigned because of what the board did and other teachers and coaches will be leaving because of this, too. There are a lot of angry people in Leeds right now and that's why I'm saying its completely unfair for you to pull the race card and degrade an entire community for the actions of a few people. Hopefully this will give you enough information and you can stop trying to stir the pot, quit the finger pointing, and just let all of this play out however it may.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:47 am

I can speak from my experience as a basketball player in the mid 90's! Leeds is one of the most racist towns I have played in.

I think it is pretty shaddy that immediately after a town meeting the school board meeting happened and Minnewauken is dropped. Believe me I will stur whatever pot you speak of if I feel there is racism involved and so should you and so should anybody!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:39 am

For those people concerned, the Leeds high school website has information that their school board meeting is Feb. 14th at 4PM. I would think addressing this issue at that time would be the appropriate course of action.
http://www.leeds-school.com/
Racist comments on here will get you banned, there is a strict no-tolerance policy that we have tried to enforce. At the same time I'd think accusing someone of racism shouldn't be allowed either, we aren't going to be able to solve those issues on this venue, so lets not go down that path. If you have thoughts and concerns, the Leeds HS website has administrators emails and school board meetings are open to the public.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:50 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:Racist comments on here will get you banned, there is a strict no-tolerance policy that we have tried to enforce. At the same time I'd think accusing someone of racism shouldn't be allowed either, we aren't going to be able to solve those issues on this venue, so lets not go down that path. If you have thoughts and concerns, the Leeds HS website has administrators emails and school board meetings are open to the public.

It is not a accusation if I have experienced it first hand! It should be the duty of the people of Leeds to make sure that race is not the issue when making the decision, I mean the only reason Leeds had for kicking Minnewauken out is "just because", is pretty shady!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:52 pm

PS those aren't meeting minutes on the school's website, it is the agenda!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:19 pm

Then attend the school board meeting and address the issue face to face. Or, if you can't make it, at least make sure that representatives from Minnewauken are present to hear an explanation for themselves. The meeting time is posted right on the front of their school website. Feb. 18, 4 PM.

As far as past meeting minutes, they are available there too, not just the agenda. Even I was able to find them, you need to look closer. Not much detail, but they are there.

Sorry, but I've not going to let this turn into an online race riot for either side. The course of action is clear and it doesn't include more accusations here. Topic closed.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:46 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:
NDSportsFan wrote:Racist comments on here will get you banned, there is a strict no-tolerance policy that we have tried to enforce. At the same time I'd think accusing someone of racism shouldn't be allowed either, we aren't going to be able to solve those issues on this venue, so lets not go down that path. If you have thoughts and concerns, the Leeds HS website has administrators emails and school board meetings are open to the public.

It is not a accusation if I have experienced it first hand!

it's an accusation when you base the town on your one experience there 15 years ago.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Return to Basketball - Class B