Redistricting Class B Basketball

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Redistricting Class B Basketball

Postby BasketballFather » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:32 am

First I would like to say I am not in favor of the NDHSAA's plan on redistricting Class B basketball in the future. How did they come up with the idea of moving Watford City to District 14 where they would have to play against Beulah, Hazen, Dickinson Trinity, Hebron, Killdeer, and Richardton in district play? Beach and Heart River are both closer to Watford City than Hebron and Richardton. Also where would the district and Regional tournaments be played? If the answer to the last question is Dickinson Trinity, that would be totally wrong. That district protested playing their district and Regional tournaments at Trinity before, because of the unfair advantage to Trinity and had it moved to Beulah. There are 5 schools in the proposed district 15, and 2 in district 16 that are closer to Watford City than 5 of the new district 14 schools. Maybe the NDHSAA would like to sent some transportation money to some of these schools, and also allow them to miss some more school time to travel.
BasketballFather
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Redistricting Class B Basketball

Postby larrybird33 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:05 am

I agree with the first post: the plan to move Watford City to District 14 is wrong on so many levels. The NDHSAA has to add a team to District 14 to make a seven-team district, but Watford City is not the team to be moved.

1) Proximity. It's not the closest school to District 14 or District 13. To the north, Mandaree is closer. To the east, New Salem is closer. To the southeast, Grant County is closer. Personally, I'd move New Salem to District 14. New Salem is in an eight team district and District 14 has six teams. If New Salem made the jump, both districts would have seven teams. No other teams would have to be moved. New Salem is just 25 interstate miles from Glen Ullin, 40 miles from Hazen, 45 interstate miles from Richardton, 50 miles from Beulah, and 65 interstate miles from Dickinson Trinity. On the other hand, Watford City's closest trip would be roughly 60 highway miles to Killdeer and all of their other road trips would be 90+ miles.

2) Balance. District 14 is already the toughest district in the state. Trinity and Hazen are big class B schools and perennial powers. The district recently added Beulah, one of the state's largest class B schools, when the Miners came down from class A. It's not all about enrollment and numbers though. Killdeer, R-T, and Glen Ullin-Hebron are medium-sized towns with plenty of athletic tradition. If you add Watford City, all of the sudden you have a District with 4 of the 16 largest class B enrollments in the state (based on the football divisions). There are 16 districts in the state, so really, you'd expect one big school in each district, but not four.

By contrast, Valley City (enrollment 375) will soon become the largest class B school in the state by at least 50 students, and they were put in a district where five of their six opponents will have enrollments of less than 100 students. It sure doesn't hurt VCHS that the NDHSAA is in their own backyard.

The NDHSAA should consider proximity and balance when they draw up the districts. Based on proximity and balance, there's no way that you can justify putting Watford City in District 14 or Region 7. The NDHSAA was either careless when they drew it up that way, or maybe had some kind of agenda and knew what they were doing all along.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballer08 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:02 pm

Geographically, New Salem would fit District 14 rather well. But, District 9 only has 7 teams the way it is and moving New Salem from District 9 to District 14 would put District 9 in the same situation that District 14 is currently facing.
bballer08

Postby larrybird33 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:27 am

Really? I thought District 9 had 8 teams...

But still... bump New Salem and move another team into District 9. Some kind of domino effect has to take place to create some balance. The districts out east are the ones with more teams.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsrlife » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:18 am

is anyone is favor of the redistricting?
sportsrlife
NDPreps Reserve

Postby number1fan » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:58 pm

I feel they should get rid of the districts and have one region tournament. Really, districts mean nothing!! Their are districts with 6 teams, and top 4 go to regions. and if an underdog beats a number 1 seed, they still have a chance to make the region becuase of double elim play!!! I feel they should have one region tourney with two sites and single elim, and get it to a final four with one site then to finish it!!
number1fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:17 pm

number1fan wrote:I feel they should get rid of the districts and have one region tournament. Really, districts mean nothing!! Their are districts with 6 teams, and top 4 go to regions. and if an underdog beats a number 1 seed, they still have a chance to make the region becuase of double elim play!!! I feel they should have one region tourney with two sites and single elim, and get it to a final four with one site then to finish it!!

So like Minnesota...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Return to Basketball - Class B