Super Region Format

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Super Region Format

Postby Sorenson23 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:43 pm

We know that Regions 1,2, & 7 use the super region format right now. But, next year Region 5 will join the frey. Does anybody know another region besides Region 5 that will go with the Super Region next year? Feel free to discuss.
Last edited by Sorenson23 on Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Super Region Format

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:38 am

I'm not sure why more regions don't do it. I turned on some district 5 games over the weekend and my first thought, "what is the point of this game?" Region 4 switched for VB. I wonder if they're not far behind for basketball.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:11 am

Flip wrote:I'm not sure why more regions don't do it. I turned on some district 5 games over the weekend and my first thought, "what is the point of this game?" Region 4 switched for VB. I wonder if they're not far behind for basketball.

From what I've been told in the past, when Region 4 gets down to 12 teams they will go super region format. They got there with VB and GBB with the Nelson County co-op. BBB did not co-op, but wondering if they won't next year. I would guess Region 4 will make the switch soon.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:46 am

I would like to see Region 3 go to the Super Region format. District 5 played 3 nights to eliminate the 3 teams that finished at the bottom of the District and District 6 played 3 nights to eliminate 1 team everyone knew was going to be eliminated and then had a minor upset (Napoleon over Medina). I don't know what District 5 pays to use the Jamestown Civic Center for their District Tournament, but District 6 rotates it between Linton, Napoleon and Wishek. I think the Super Region format with top seeded teams hosting until you get to the Final Four just makes more sense. One of the biggest reasons for Region 3 keeping Districts in the past was because a majority of the Coaches wanted the opportunity to put 1 more trophy in the case every year, not sure if that is still the case or not.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoophoophoop » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:24 am

Districts are pointless, regular season will mean more also
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby woodchuck10 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:40 am

Super Region seems to be the way to go for all eight regions very soon. I would just like the play-in round to be played at a single site. Region 4 for example could do a Langdon, Dunseith, Harvey, New Rockford rotation then Devils Lake for the quarters, semis, and final.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby leroybla » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:06 am

^^^^^Larger travel budgets?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sorenson23 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:51 pm

IMO! I could see Region 4 as the next to go with the super region format, followed by Region 3, Region 8 and Region 6 in that order.

Number of teams total in each region:

Region 4 - 13 teams
Region 3 - 13 teams
Region 8 - 14 teams
Region 6 - 15 teams

Didn't Region 2 and 7 have thirteen teams a few years ago? Cause I think both region 1 and 2 had five play-in games about two years ago, but I might be wrong? Cause I know both these regions now have 12 teams, if that is the case. The regions I listed above could go to the super region format in that order.
Last edited by Sorenson23 on Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:55 pm

Region 2 lost Griggs when they cooped with Midkota. FSHP is likely to break up too. I think they might have to add a team to region 2. Maybe Nelson County for girls and Dakota Prairie for boys.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:29 pm

Region 1 lost Sargent Central the other season
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mandan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:23 pm

scc wrote:If you're a team that plays top opponents outside your area, you want to keep the districts intact. It keeps your number of conference opponents to a minimum and allows you play more high-level competition. My guess is Four Winds-Minnewaukan and Shiloh Christian would rather keep the district tournaments.

Dickinson Trinity plays in a "super" region and the boys team seems to do just fine scheduling multiple non-region top teams each year.

This year they played Shiloh, Enderlin, Four Winds, Oak Grove, a Rapid City school, and Ryan.

That seems like a good non-region schedule to me.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Return to Basketball - Class B