Season Suspension

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Season Suspension

Postby sportsphenom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:25 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:I am going to say something about the masks that may not be popular but for most people only type is having n-95 masks be worn because is the only mask available to public that would be fairly effective to stop the virus from going through your mask into your body. Second is even these mask need to be changed through the day to be effective. The cloth masks most people are wearing stop very little of virus and if they do are collector enough if touched by person wearing masks just hastens chance of infecting your self. Then add in if masks don't fit your face and there is leakage around the masks stopping the effectiveness of the mask and renders it ineffective. It may even make it worse because now you have your breath going by your eyes which is one of major areas where Covid -19 enters your body. Now from my personal observation about masks people are constantly touching there masks either adjusting them or lifting them to have free airflow then touching there faces or again around there eyes again which again is one leading areas for the virus to enter your body. People working in Hospital setting change there masks frequently to maintain sanitary conditions but this is not possible in day to day living and working conditions in the real world. If you read what they recommended about masks before it became politicized this past year effectiveness of masks had little to no effect in stop of spreading viruses. This was official opinion of CDC until we had politics come into play again and was even advised to on television. Distancing and limiting social contact will reduce how fast this virus spreads but the fact is its going to work its way through the population now no matter what we do it just how fast it does. The hospitals, Doctors, politicians, and public need a plan how much resources will be needed until we have reach point of herd immunity. I believe there is large group of people that think we can make this virus disappear but that is not possible anymore. This is a virus were going to have to live with and there will be risks from it especially for us older generation because its of much higher risks to us surviving this virus than younger people. The vaccines in development may be the way to reduce these risks but we won't know how effective they will be and long term effectiveness they will have against the virus. I think people are just looking for magical fix that will stop us from catching this virus but truth is were sooner or later going to catch this virus but my hope is that I will be able to fight it off and survive having it .

100% going to agree with everything you just said, couldn't have said it better myself.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:01 am

B-oldtimer wrote:Distancing and limiting social contact will reduce how fast this virus spreads but the fact is its going to work its way through the population now no matter what we do it just how fast it does.

This is only true IF vaccines are ineffective, which doesn't seem to be the case.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:15 pm

I was wrong. I thought the steps the governor took to slow the spread would help, but I didn't think it would be reflective in the numbers. The numbers are definitely down, although I think that has little to do with the suspension of sports.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:32 pm

Flip wrote:I was wrong. I thought the steps the governor took to slow the spread would help, but I didn't think it would be reflective in the numbers. The numbers are definitely down, although I think that has little to do with the suspension of sports.

Let's see if the numbers stay down over the next week or two...post/pre-Holidays; I agree that sports is/was not the problem.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:25 am

One thing that hasn't really been talked about - what if a number of officials come down with Covid or have to quarantine for 10-14 days? There is already a shortage of officials for basketball and this could make it much worse. Would they go back to 2 person crews for some games? Games could be rescheduled due to lack of officials, etc....
Now that we are back to practice I hope things continue to trend in the right direction, I am looking forward to some games this winter!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:40 am

Sportsrube wrote:One thing that hasn't really been talked about - what if a number of officials come down with Covid or have to quarantine for 10-14 days? There is already a shortage of officials for basketball and this could make it much worse. Would they go back to 2 person crews for some games? Games could be rescheduled due to lack of officials, etc....
Now that we are back to practice I hope things continue to trend in the right direction, I am looking forward to some games this winter!

There are still plenty of two person crews out there but my concern was that less officials would do it this year as many now fall into that age risk area; I really do think this is the year to get some new officials with the lack of fans allowed...it’s a good time to start.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:54 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:One thing that hasn't really been talked about - what if a number of officials come down with Covid or have to quarantine for 10-14 days? There is already a shortage of officials for basketball and this could make it much worse. Would they go back to 2 person crews for some games? Games could be rescheduled due to lack of officials, etc....

There are still plenty of two person crews out there but my concern was that less officials would do it this year as many now fall into that age risk area; I really do think this is the year to get some new officials with the lack of fans allowed...it’s a good time to start.

Hadn't thought of that, but yeah, this would be a good year for new officials. The pay isn't bad and most coaches are pretty good and the lack of village idiots in the stands would be a real benefit!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bingobangobongo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:55 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Hadn't thought of that, but yeah, this would be a good year for new officials. The pay isn't bad and most coaches are pretty good and the lack of village idiots in the stands would be a real benefit!

How will the refs know if they do something wrong with no fans in stands?
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:33 pm

bingobangobongo wrote:How will the refs know if they do something wrong with no fans in stands?

NDHSAA is making them take a rules test this season.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:49 am

Flip wrote:
bingobangobongo wrote:How will the refs know if they do something wrong with no fans in stands?

If you've been around basketball most of your life, those rules tests are super easy.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:34 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Flip wrote:

If you've been around basketball most of your life, those rules tests are super easy.

I've been around basketball all of my life, and some of the questions on those tests are ridiculously dumb haha.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:12 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:If you've been around basketball most of your life, those rules tests are super easy.

I never do awesome. So many of the questions have to do with stuff that happens once in a coach's lifetime. There are always a few questions on technical fouls.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:52 pm

Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:If you've been around basketball most of your life, those rules tests are super easy.

I never do awesome. So many of the questions have to do with stuff that happens once in a coach's lifetime. There are always a few questions on technical fouls.

My favorite question of all time on one of the tests:

If there is a simultaneous defensive goaltend and offensive basket interference, what happens?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:27 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Flip wrote:

If there is a simultaneous defensive goaltend and offensive basket interference, what happens?

A violation by both teams gives the ball out of bounds under hoop to the team (nearest the infraction) which has the alternating-possession arrow.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:33 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
Flip wrote:

A violation by both teams gives the ball out of bounds under hoop to the team (nearest the infraction) which has the alternating-possession arrow.

Yep, there are a few instances where this happens. I don't know when I'll ever see that happen in North Dakota.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:42 pm

On a FT attempt.
You have a lane violation on the non-shooting team.
Then you have a lane violation on the shooting team.
I have seen this once and the refs screwed it up.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:43 pm

I would argue that the vast majority of officials know the rules very well, the issue lies with their "interpretation" of the rule. It amazes me how many guards palm or carry the ball now as compared to 5 years ago. I wonder how long until we get the loose travel rules of the NBA? I also wonder how a defender gets the foul when the offensive player initiates all of the contact. I have seen numerous times when a ball handler just puts his head down and drives right into a defender and the defender gets the foul. Now that I am done ranting I will say that the vast majority of the officials are very good and consistent on their calls. I officiate elementary and JH games and those are hard enough sometimes.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:43 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
Flip wrote:

Yep, there are a few instances where this happens. I don't know when I'll ever see that happen in North Dakota.

I only do JH & Elementary games so I don't think I'll ever see it happen; I have called one basket interference in 10 years of JH basketball
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:48 pm

Flip wrote:On a FT attempt.

Ignore the second violation as the opponent was the first to violate?
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:09 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

double violation jump ball.

This is pretty simple, but I have had to remind refs of this. Ball gets stuck between the rim and the backboard is a jump ball, but make sure they reset the shot clock. I was told the shot clock doesn't reset on a jump ball. I asked him if the ball had hit the rim.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:10 pm

I've seen a few officials screw up the free throws on a shooting foul followed by a tech. The illegal contact rule is one that I've always had a tough time with how some officiate it. However, officiating is a thankless job and I wouldn't want it.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:31 pm

Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

double violation jump ball.

This is pretty simple, but I have had to remind refs of this. Ball gets stuck between the rim and the backboard is a jump ball, but make sure they reset the shot clock. I was told the shot clock doesn't reset on a jump ball. I asked him if the ball had hit the rim.

Are you talking simultaneous violations cause then it's a jump ball if it's on the second attempt...on first attempt, I believe, you get the second attempt still.

If the opponent violates first and then the shooting team enters after this is what I found online:

If there is a violation first by the free-thrower's opponent followed by the free thrower or a teammate:
a. If both offenders are in a marked lane-space, the second violation is ignored, as in penalty item .
b. If the second violation is by the free thrower or a teammate behind the free-throw line extended and/or the three-point line, both violations are penalized, as in penalty item.

Bolded statement...that's sad but not shocking as I've seen an official try to state that before both coaches said to reset the clock.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:44 pm

forget everything I said before. I'm not sure I was right.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:35 pm

Sportsrube wrote:We have already had a parent contact our school saying "When the Governor comes to his senses and allows winter sports to restart you cannot prevent me from watching my son wrestle and my daughter play basketball. I know my rights and I have the right to watch my kids play."
Once again a village idiot that doesn't know the difference between "rights" and "privileges". If the Gov. does rescind his order (which I hope he does) there are going to be a number of village idiots demanding their "right" to watch their kid play.

The telltale sign of someone who doesn't know their rights is leading off their argument by telling you they know their rights.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:00 pm

BasketballMind wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:We have already had a parent contact our school saying "When the Governor comes to his senses and allows winter sports to restart you cannot prevent me from watching my son wrestle and my daughter play basketball. I know my rights and I have the right to watch my kids play."
Once again a village idiot that doesn't know the difference between "rights" and "privileges". If the Gov. does rescind his order (which I hope he does) there are going to be a number of village idiots demanding their "right" to watch their kid play.

The telltale sign of someone who doesn't know their rights is leading off their argument by telling you they know their rights.

100% spot on!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Basketball - Class B