Season Suspension

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Season Suspension

Postby classB4ever » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:41 pm

COVID-19 is a virus. It’s going to get worse during low relative humidity. That’s how it works. Anybody with any common sense knows that. If you want to wear a mask, cool. If you want to make fun of someone who doesn’t, walk outside tomorrow and breathe out with your mask on and report back to me what you see. It’s like playing racquetball with bb’s from your red rider BB gun. The physics behind what they tell you are flawed. Better yet, go outside tomorrow and do your own scientific study. Report back here if more “air” escapes through your mask or around it. Not to mention micron particles smaller than the mask is capable of capturing. If you want to debate science and or physics on this matter, I’m good with that.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:36 pm

So when I wear a mask and take it off and the mask is damp. The mask has to be stopping something from getting out into the air.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDPREP » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:49 pm

Honestly part of the problem shows through right here, from the beginning a cloth mask is not going to stop an aerosol virus particle. The trick is virus particles need to ride on respiratory droplets (I know there has been some things out about aerosol transmission but I haven't seen conclusive studies on that yet).

The point of wearing the mask is not to protect yourself, you are protecting others from you by not spewing droplets from your respiratory system all over. THAT is why everyone needs to wear them as you don't know if you are or aren't infected at all times. You choosing not to wear one isn't just affecting you, you are also affecting those around you. The crux of the problem is me over we, its uncomfortable for me so I don't want to do it. For a state that seems like one of those places that traditionally pitches in and helps our neighbors (flood sand bagging, farm rescue) this whole thing has really been eye opening for me...
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby classB4ever » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:55 pm

Flip wrote:So when I wear a mask and take it off and the mask is damp. The mask has to be stopping something from getting out into the air.

Question or statement? Definitely stopping water vapor. If it’s moist, guessing it’s ability to filtrate air particles is done. Therefore only use is to push exhausted air out around openings not covered. Do you change it every time it’s moist?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classB4ever » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:08 pm

NDPREP wrote:Honestly part of the problem shows through right here, from the beginning a cloth mask is not going to stop an aerosol virus particle. The trick is virus particles need to ride on respiratory droplets (I know there has been some things out about aerosol transmission but I haven't seen conclusive studies on that yet).

The point of wearing the mask is not to protect yourself, you are protecting others from you by not spewing droplets from your respiratory system all over. THAT is why everyone needs to wear them as you don't know if you are or aren't infected at all times. You choosing not to wear one isn't just affecting you, you are also affecting those around you. The crux of the problem is me over we, its uncomfortable for me so I don't want to do it. For a state that seems like one of those places that traditionally pitches in and helps our neighbors (flood sand bagging, farm rescue) this whole thing has really been eye opening for me...

No. This post is the problem. Masks have always been for protection for the person who wears them. In the beginning of this epidemic, all scientists said that masks would not stop the spread. The President repeated what his scientists told him. Then, the very same scientists changed their story and also changed their logic. Of course, all media went right along with it. Also, all scientific proof about masks and their inability to stop virus spread have been scrubbed from the internet. Masks are designed to protect the wearer. This ridiculous notion that it protects others is “crap”.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDPREP » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:15 pm

...Yup and this is why sports are postponed, business are limited, and things are progressing as they are... we refuse to adapt and to take some responsibility for out fellow man because I am right you are wrong mentality...

Like I said me over we, most of us were athletes, did we all go our careers trying to get that 1000 points over the betterment of our teammates? If wearing a mask prevented it to 1% we are saying it isn't worth it? Gotcha
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby classB4ever » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:38 pm

I have some more questions. Can all you scientists tell me the long term effects of wearing face coverings? The physical and psychological effects? Read early on how COVID-19 “might” have lasting effects on athletes. How it “could” have lung implications. No research to prove it. Just more fear mongering. So, I will ask the same questions. What if wearing a mask creates health problems. What if respiratory illnesses are increased 2 or 3 fold because of wearing masks? No studies have been done. Well, they have but have been buried. How about the landfills which are being filled with these masks? With these latex gloves? Not so long ago, the only thing that mattered was the environment. Now, not so much. Please explain how priorities seem to bounce around so much every election year. 2018 was the fear mongering of global warming and the introduction of a 14 year old by the name of Greta. Now, environment is not important, use more oil to produce more latex gloves and all the masks you can. Hmmm.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classB4ever » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:51 pm

NDPREP wrote:...Yup and this is why sports are postponed, business are limited, and things are progressing as they are... we refuse to adapt and to take some responsibility for out fellow man because I am right you are wrong mentality...

Like I said me over we, most of us were athletes, did we all go our careers trying to get that 1000 points over the betterment of our teammates? If wearing a mask prevented it to 1% we are saying it isn't worth it? Gotcha

Once again, no. You can point fingers all you want. You can attempt to take any high ground as you see fit. No matter how much you try to “shame” me, I won’t back down. Bring something more than your old teammate crap to the discussion. If you want to give up 75% of your liberties for a 1% chance of getting sick then that describes our differences.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDPREP » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:34 am

If it wasn't such a sad state of affairs it would almost be comical, this comes from the same people who abhor abortions, not saying I am for them but its the exact same reasoning they are against them, if it only saves 1 life, yet a cloth face covering is too much to ask, save a life and a livelihood. simple facts is one small gesture to help fellow humans is too much. this is the exact reason sports will be postponed and we have only ourselves to blame, I am glad we made it through football but if we can't at least take a little action then state B will be off again.

Science is simple, cloth blocks respiratory particles that can carry the virus, everyone wears a mask we block 80-90% of transmissible pathogens. Trump also lost the election if we hadn't heard?

All we ever heard was the anecdotes about how tough the older generations have had it, up hill both ways and 2 feet of snow, who would have thought a piece of cloth would be the thing that brought them down and was the last straw....

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:29 am

I'm hearing rumors that the athletic association wasn't even consulted when the decision was made to close everything down...that makes no sense to me. Not consulting the organization that has the most information on high school athletics and is the governing body about this is disturbing to me. On a more positive note I'm also hearing rumblings that there is a coordinated and compelling effort being made to negotiate with the governor to re-open practices before the 14th with contests to begin on that date. Hope these aren't just rumors and there is actual momentum on that. I still believe practices can be held safely if certain precautions are taken. If masks are required and fans are prohibited we can all deal with it if kids get the opportunity to play.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:38 am

I'm amazed at how being required to wear a mask is considered by some to be an assault on our liberties. A few months ago, the Forum had an article where a person was claiming we had an 'inalienable right' to NOT wear masks.

Yet for decades we haven't been allowed to go in to stores and restaurants without wearing shirts and shoes. I have no recollection of anyone claiming their constitutional rights were being violated over THAT restriction. Those of you living in Bowman or Stark county--go to a restaurant with a mask ON and shirt and shoes OFF and see if you can sit down for a steak dinner.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby classB4ever » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:35 am

First of all, in order to have open and honest debates, one should never get personal. For that, would like to apologize to NDPREP and Flip. There is no benefit from not listening and taking in everybody's opinion. Have been on this site for a long time and try to pride myself in being informative while also listening to other's opinions.

I do not see anything wrong with wearing masks. I think it's great if people wear them and feel safer. I don't necessarily agree with the perceived protection of them, but if it helps a little, so be it. However, I would love to see firm scientific proof that there are no long term effects from wearing them.

IMHO, there is a difference between inalienable rights and personal liberties, but that's for another day. My problem has always been the shutting down of businesses early on without enough knowledge about the novel virus. Many people's lives have been effected in a very negative way without enough information. And as you can tell, it always becomes political. My personal belief is that no matter what we do as a society, the virus will do what it wants. The flu has been around forever. It always comes back with vengeance during this time of year. There is science to prove why. Once again, debate and opinions are good and I'll do my part to keep it respectful. 2 cents.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:50 am

defensewinsgames wrote:I'm hearing rumors that the athletic association wasn't even consulted when the decision was made to close everything down.

There must have been some communication between the governor and NDHSAA. I doubt Bergum knew there was still a week of volleyball left to make an exception for that and the remaining fall activities.

I heard the same thing, meeting today to start practices, but not contests before the 14.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:16 am

Flip wrote:
defensewinsgames wrote:I'm hearing rumors that the athletic association wasn't even consulted when the decision was made to close everything down.

There must have been some communication between the governor and NDHSAA. I doubt Bergum knew there was still a week of volleyball left to make an exception for that and the remaining fall activities.

I heard the same thing, meeting today to start practices, but not contests before the 14.

If they knew anything about it they did a pretty good job lying right to everyones face all day Friday, I personally do not think they knew.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:46 am

packers21 wrote:
Flip wrote:

If they knew anything about it they did a pretty good job lying right to everyones face all day Friday, I personally do not think they knew.

I had two sources tell me the same thing...kinda blind-sided them Friday night.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:59 am

We have already had a parent contact our school saying "When the Governor comes to his senses and allows winter sports to restart you cannot prevent me from watching my son wrestle and my daughter play basketball. I know my rights and I have the right to watch my kids play."
Once again a village idiot that doesn't know the difference between "rights" and "privileges". If the Gov. does rescind his order (which I hope he does) there are going to be a number of village idiots demanding their "right" to watch their kid play.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:09 pm

Sportsrube wrote:We have already had a parent contact our school saying "When the Governor comes to his senses and allows winter sports to restart you cannot prevent me from watching my son wrestle and my daughter play basketball. I know my rights and I have the right to watch my kids play."
Once again a village idiot that doesn't know the difference between "rights" and "privileges". If the Gov. does rescind his order (which I hope he does) there are going to be a number of village idiots demanding their "right" to watch their kid play.

They can demand all they want, if they are allowed to play and its with no fans, they will livestream it along with everyone else. We are lucky we have the ability to livestream all these games.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:22 pm

packers21 wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:We have already had a parent contact our school saying "When the Governor comes to his senses and allows winter sports to restart you cannot prevent me from watching my son wrestle and my daughter play basketball. I know my rights and I have the right to watch my kids play."

They can demand all they want, if they are allowed to play and its with no fans, they will livestream it along with everyone else. We are lucky we have the ability to livestream all these games.

Yep you have the 'Right' to watch them online.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BasketballMind » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:45 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Yep you have the 'Right' to watch them online.

I do not envy the people that are working at the door for these games this year. I wonder if these type of people don’t take their shoes off in someone else’s house too?
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:18 pm

do you need people working at the door if there are no fans?

I heard the superintendent from Hillsboro say she thinks there will be a region agreement that road fans would not be allowed. She also said their winter athletes would compete in masks.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:32 pm

My guess if winter sports get the go ahead on Dec 14:

1. No fans
2. Masks worn by participants
3. Regional tournaments will be held at higher seed.
4. I'm not sure what to think about a state tournament? Hopefully they broadcast all the games
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:08 pm

Flip wrote:do you need people working at the door if there are no fans?

I heard the superintendent from Hillsboro say she thinks there will be a region agreement that road fans would not be allowed. She also said their winter athletes would compete in masks.

I think it’s safe to stick someone at the door...because people will try; They did during the fall, unfortunately.

I know several teams played VB in masks (even saw a few worn during XC races)...BB is a different activity but I know kids/coaches will do whatever it takes to safely have a season.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:04 pm

PRACTICES ALLOWED STARTING NOVEMBER 30th...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby muley14 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:31 pm

There is still work to do, a lot of unknowns and things can change but a BIG THANK YOU to the legislators around the state. They were the ones that got the kids this chance.
muley14
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:13 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:PRACTICES ALLOWED STARTING NOVEMBER 30th...

I think this change is a huge step towards what we all wanted. The guidelines aren't done yet so I'm sure we will learn more. As those guidelines come out, try to keep in mind this is for the kids and whatever it takes to get them a season is what we should all be willing to do. No one will like restrictions/changes/mandates but if it allows are athletes to compete let's make it happen! Thank you to those who worked on bringing about a change in this decision, it was no small task but one that will tremendously benefit our kids! I'm happy for our kids and coaches!
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball - Class B