Where can you find Stats of Basketball games played

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Where can you find Stats of Basketball games played

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:55 pm

All the stat's used to be in the papers of games played.... ND scores has the score but want to find out who is scoring, rebounding, steals....
maddog1971
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:56 am

Re: Where can you find Stats of Basketball games played

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:08 pm

maddog1971 wrote:All the stat's used to be in the papers of games played.... ND scores has the score but want to find out who is scoring, rebounding, steals....


MaxPreps will have some but not everyone uses it, unfortunately. About 15 years ago, NDHSAA website was perfect and nearly everyone used it for stats now it's not used for that. Nowadays it's hard to get the whole state to report scores...let alone report all the other important stats.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 15877
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Where can you find Stats of Basketball games played

Postby vikingman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:08 pm

I would imagine that every team does stats on an iPad by now. How tough would it be to upload to a centralized site? I know there are different programs and so different formats for the output, but it would still be nice if each team had a page on NDHSAA that would have links to all games. Teams could even do this on an individual basis and have a page on their school site if NDHSAA isn't up to it.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 726
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Re: Where can you find Stats of Basketball games played

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:14 pm

vikingman wrote:I would imagine that every team does stats on an iPad by now. How tough would it be to upload to a centralized site? I know there are different programs and so different formats for the output, but it would still be nice if each team had a page on NDHSAA that would have links to all games. Teams could even do this on an individual basis and have a page on their school site if NDHSAA isn't up to it.


I know it was tried back a few years ago but failed miserably because not every team did stats or reliable stats; now newspapers barely even post the scores anymore (Fargo Forum could care less about HS sports, sadly, unless they are there covering it; it's all about NDSU now :x ). MaxPreps is an easy place to enter them but not enough people/teams use it :(
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 15877
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Where can you find Stats of Basketball games played

Postby vikingman » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:02 pm

I don't know if we're talking about the same time frame, but I remember typing stats in to the NDHSAA site and it was a real pain. Eventually we just put each game in to Excel spreadsheet (this was before iPads) and then uploaded them to the school's webpage.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 726
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Re: Where can you find Stats of Basketball games played

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:40 pm

vikingman wrote:I don't know if we're talking about the same time frame, but I remember typing stats in to the NDHSAA site and it was a real pain. Eventually we just put each game in to Excel spreadsheet (this was before iPads) and then uploaded them to the school's webpage.


2002-2009 the NDHSAA website was nice and slick for entering stats; I've gotten these really nice printouts from the volleyball seasons back then that are super easy to follow (working on School Records). The nice thing about these stats were that they were so easy to access and see statewide (and many teams kept them). Now the site is confusing for most to even enter what is needed; I personally like MaxPreps for my stats and LOVE doing them through hudl.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 15877
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Where can you find Stats of Basketball games played

Postby Sniper » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:19 am

What is the biggest issue that is resulting in the papers not posting many box scores anymore? Are the papers struggling to get teams to consistently call in scores or do the papers just not care to post them anymore? I miss being able to look in the papers to see box scores of games from the night before. The Bismarck Tribune use to do a "Performances of the Week" every Tuesday that highlighted the top scorers in the area for that week but I have not seen them post this in the past couple of years.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:30 am
Location: Bismarck, ND

Re: Where can you find Stats of Basketball games played

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:51 am

Sniper wrote:What is the biggest issue that is resulting in the papers not posting many box scores anymore? Are the papers struggling to get teams to consistently call in scores or do the papers just not care to post them anymore? I miss being able to look in the papers to see box scores of games from the night before. The Bismarck Tribune use to do a "Performances of the Week" every Tuesday that highlighted the top scorers in the area for that week but I have not seen them post this in the past couple of years.


I think most sports departments just don't want to take the time to do them because they feel they can be found some place else. The Bismarck Tribune has cut their coverage of area teams considerably in the last couple of years. If your team is not within a 40 mile radius of Bismarck they don't seem to care. In Fargo, the Forum is too busy writing about NDSU football to cover much of anything else. Both the Tribune and the Forum have declined tremendously in the last 4 - 5 years and not just in their sports coverage.
Sportsrube
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:03 pm

Re: Where can you find Stats of Basketball games played

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:52 pm

GF Herald does best job of still including box scores...even tv stations lack reporting scores now...

I think newspapers like to use the excuse of being short-staffed (which is a big problem)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 15877
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Where can you find Stats of Basketball games played

Postby packers21 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:13 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:GF Herald does best job of still including box scores...even tv stations lack reporting scores now...

I think newspapers like to use the excuse of being short-staffed (which is a big problem)


Herald is still pretty good, Devillers is awesome reporting on small town sports!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Where can you find Stats of Basketball games played

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:11 pm

The Forum is a Joke as well. What has happened to papers. They charge me to my online viewing and they charge me for my paper at home. I told my wife to cancel it completely but she keeps holding onto it. I believe someone from Oak Grove must own the paper because they talk alot about the Grovers.
I would be happy if they even reported on the area they are selling their papers too....
maddog1971
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:56 am

Re: Where can you find Stats of Basketball games played

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:34 pm

maddog1971 wrote:The Forum is a Joke as well. What has happened to papers. They charge me to my online viewing and they charge me for my paper at home. I told my wife to cancel it completely but she keeps holding onto it. I believe someone from Oak Grove must own the paper because they talk alot about the Grovers.
I would be happy if they even reported on the area they are selling their papers too....


Wow...nearsighted statement there...they only write about them cause they are in town...and only care when it’s postseason play. They never made it to a VB game until the Region nights and that’s only because they only had to travel 3 blocks from their downtown building.

Once Tom Mix & Chris Murphy left, the sports department has dropped off and become a college only paper (and mostly NDSU).

Their scoreboards are all the in town teams that send information in but there isn’t much too them; rarely a box score.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 15877
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Where can you find Stats of Basketball games played

Postby hoophoophoop » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:59 pm

I use to cheer for the Bison, but it is getting really sickening, everyday its about the bison football. I use to love to check out the box scores to see how your buddies kid is doing or relative, but no I have to see how a coach in Northern Illinois got fired (that is just made up). I haven't watched a Bison game in 5 years and will probably not watch again.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:15 pm

Re: Where can you find Stats of Basketball games played

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:21 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:I use to cheer for the Bison, but it is getting really sickening, everyday its about the bison football. I use to love to check out the box scores to see how your buddies kid is doing or relative, but no I have to see how a coach in Northern Illinois got fired (that is just made up). I haven't watched a Bison game in 5 years and will probably not watch again.


TV media is just as bad in Fargo...something about NDSU every night
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 15877
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Where can you find Stats of Basketball games played

Postby leroybla » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:04 pm

I think there's some exaggeration here. True, NDSU's football team commands the sports reporting, as it should. They're in the playoffs for the umpteenth time. Any sports desk would be happy to have such a topic close at hand. Consecutive losing seasons would be a sure cure for NDSU's media dominance, but who would wish for that.
I do lament the lack of high school reporting outside the FM area. My question is, Is there a vehicle (website, text message number, etc) to report at least scores? KFGO used to use 35270 for reporting scores. Other FM reporters, when they did attend out of town games, left their cards at the scorers tables and asked officials to call in results. No pictures or box score, but at least the scores showed up on their website. We must remind ourselves that newspapers are businesses, and that industry is under pressure from social media and other news media. They must balance their bottom line with their readers' wishes for local flavor on their pages.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Where can you find Stats of Basketball games played

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:12 pm

leroybla wrote:I think there's some exaggeration here. True, NDSU's football team commands the sports reporting, as it should. They're in the playoffs for the umpteenth time. Any sports desk would be happy to have such a topic close at hand. Consecutive losing seasons would be a sure cure for NDSU's media dominance, but who would wish for that.
I do lament the lack of high school reporting outside the FM area. My question is, Is there a vehicle (website, text message number, etc) to report at least scores? KFGO used to use 35270 for reporting scores. Other FM reporters, when they did attend out of town games, left their cards at the scorers tables and asked officials to call in results. No pictures or box score, but at least the scores showed up on their website. We must remind ourselves that newspapers are businesses, and that industry is under pressure from social media and other news media. They must balance their bottom line with their readers' wishes for local flavor on their pages.


Message me (here, twitter, email, etc.) and the scores will make it onto northdakota-scores.net (or minnesota-scores.net); I enter all those on to that database every night.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 15877
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm


Return to Basketball - Class B

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest